PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions toward fixing warriors

Hraefn
04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey, all:

I would have posted in the Warrior Forum but I'm afraid it would be seen by practically no one.

It's common knowledge that the warrior class is severely underpowered. Not only is its base DPS crappy; it also has to close with its target to start doing damage, further lowering its effective DPS.

Moreover, some of the few usable skills can't be cast while in motion, and warriors have to move more than their ranged counterparts. Can someone please explain why archers can cast Focus on the fly while warriors have to stand still to cast Rage? I didn't realize that you had to be motionless to get angry.

Even its ability to tank is unremarkable. Being a mob-magnet who has to spam potions isn't exactly fun. Granted, finding a competent healer makes matters a bit better.

Anyway, here are some suggestions for easy fixes that could make the class more enjoyable to play.

1. Reduce the cooldown timer on Beckon. Beckon, especially when combined with Stomp, gives the warrior a sense of purpose: crowd control and AoE damage. However, the timer on Beckon is a tad on the long side.

2. Add Dodge modifiers to shields and heavy weapons to simulate blocking and parrying. Something on the order of +10 dodge for heavy shields, +6 for wing shields, +2 for bracers might work. Swords and axes could get +3, two-handers +6.

3. Increase the effect of strength on damage, health and health regeneration. I almost didn't include this because this request has become a broken record.

4. A bit more range, allowing warriors to acquire targets a faster -- perhaps in the form a polearm weapon that would be slow but deliver a lot of damage per swing, making the damage add of the slashing weapons skills more dramatic.

Anyway, those are my two cents. I'm sure there are a lot more (and better) ideas out there.

Deathshock
04-18-2010, 03:27 PM
And the main thing I see a problem with is the aggro. Make it so that warriors can hold aggro longer, or make it so that enchantresses and archers don't generate so much.

Banned
04-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Wrong section. And yes I did read it. :p

Hraefn
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
And the main thing I see a problem with is the aggro. Make it so that warriors can hold aggro longer, or make it so that enchantresses and archers don't generate so much.

Yeah, that is a problem; it's one of the reasons I suggested the shorter cooldown on Beckon -- so warriors can recapture aggro.

Banned
04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Why not switch classes? I don't understand why your a warrior if it they are so underpowered.

Hraefn
04-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Why not switch classes? I don't understand why your a warrior if it they are so underpowered.

What a great idea! Instead of trying to fix one of the three classes, let's all play the two decent classes!

Shebee
04-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I would also like to point out that I don't get why every skill we have has a knock back.
I mean we're a melee class, we want to sit on our enemies face, not push them away.
Personally (trying to dps with a 2h) I hate it when I have to use skills like super mega slash that knocks my target 1km away from me all across the map.
And overall, I think the knockbacks should be reduced and removed from some skills, rather add dots/bleeds or somekind of stun to stomp and other skills.
Imo stomp with a stun makes more sense.

Hraefn
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I would also like to point out that I don't get why every skill we have has a knock back.
I mean we're a melee class, we want to sit on our enemies face, not push them away.
Personally (trying to dps with a 2h) I hate it when I have to use skills like super mega slash that knocks my target 1km away from me all across the map.
And overall, I think the knockbacks should be reduced and removed from some skills, rather add dots/bleeds or somekind of stun to stomp and other skills.
Imo stomp with a stun makes more sense.

That's a great point. I actually made a thread requesting less knockback and more stun but it died a quick death on the Warrior Forum. I'm not sure if the devs read that forum and, frankly, they have a lot of other stuff to contend with.

Banned
04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
What a great idea! Instead of trying to fix one of the three classes, let's all play the two decent classes!

But what is it that draws people to the warrior class? If it's so ****ty, then why use it?

Deathshock
04-18-2010, 03:45 PM

He has a point there. Theres a warrior for a reason.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure shortening the cooldown on Beckon would make a terrific difference, I think the problem is that enchantresses and archers generate too much threat... so much that ours kills can't hold them.

Shebee
04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
That's a great point. I actually made a thread requesting less knockback and more stun but it died a quick death on the Warrior Forum. I'm not sure if the devs read that forum and, frankly, they have a lot of other stuff to contend with.

Add all suggestions to your first post, in quotes or something so its easier to read.

Cinco
04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
This is excellent feedback!

Expect to see a number of improvements to the Warrior class in the coming week. So far this weekend I have spent time focusing on the myiad Tanking and DPS problems, armor problems and skill problems that seem to be plaguing bears throughout the realm.

This post (and related posts) have been extremely helpful in identifying the core problems of the Warrior class.
Thanks very much,

- Cinco

Shebee
04-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Expect to see a number of improvements to the Warrior class in the coming week. So far this weekend I have spent time focusing on the myiad Tanking and DPS problems, armor problems and skill problems that seem to be plaguing bears throughout the realm.

This post (and related posts) have been extremely helpful in identifying the core problems of the Warrior class.
Thanks very much,

- Cinco

Also, thanks for answering to many topics, this way we know you hear our voices in this chaos!

Banned
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Add all suggestions to your first post, in quotes or something so its easier to read.

Quotes, helping illiterate people read since... never.

Hraefn
04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the response, Cinco. You guys have done an amazing job on the core game and subsequent updates!

Deathshock
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM

Forreal.
And they're numbered already lol.

Shebee
04-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Seriously though, what's your problem?
If a topic has 2+ pages most of the people just wont bother to read all posts.

Thanks very much,

- Cinco

Also, I wanted to add, that I would find it appropriate if everyone would get a free skill point or attribute respec when you modify skills or how attributes work.
I understand you want the respec to be only available for payment, but paying for something you change is maybe a bit too much in my opinion.
What do you guys think?

Astrauk
04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Yay! now I might just play the warrior! I love these devs, they really listen to the community!

Banned
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
@Shebee

They lowered the respec price.

Shebee
04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
@Shebee

They lowered the respec price.

That has nothing to do with what I said.

Deathshock
04-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Seriously though, what's your problem?
If a topic has 2+ pages most of the people just wont bother to read all posts.

Also, I wanted to add, that I would find it appropriate if everyone would get a free skill point or attribute respec when you modify skills or how attributes work.
I understand you want the respec to be only available for payment, but paying for something you change is maybe a bit too much in my opinion.
What do you guys think?

I don't think that you should get a free respec, but I do agree that you shouldn't have to pay for something like a respec with real money. That should be available through an NPC with a fee of gold.

Azrael
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I have to say after watching Hurs tank with his level 30 bear that is fully spec to tank and has one of those fire procing swords... he has been doing pretty well. Bears still need to me improved, especially in the strength stat department, and their agro generation needs to match that of archers and mages, but after hearing the good news that warriors will be getting some attention, i hope they don't make the agro generation of a warrior too extreme. There has to be some challenge in the game.