PDA

View Full Version : Ending the Mynas Generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeus
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Everybody,
I just wanted to put a post here today that I am going to make an attempt to decrease or extinguish the large amount of players playing today known as "The Mynas Generation". The way I will do this is I will advertise in towne and tell people to send me a friend request. Then I will host password protected "classes" (not like school), informing the players the various items, rarity of items, prices of items, where to farm them, what farming is, and the best gear for their build. I am hoping doing so will decrease "The Mynas Generation" and help create better teams for farming as well as encouraging other players to complete all the levels. Leave your comments about this here. Thanks for your time.

GaZz
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
What?

What does knowledge of farming in MMO's have to do with Mynas gear?

I'm lost.

I've been playing for about a week...and I think I've got to grips with the basics, done all but 2 of the 30+ quests in the first three town(e)s. Moving to new campaigns as i get higher level. Doesn't everyone play like that? The instances I end up playing in always seem to contain normal people who are able to play their role in the team....

It's hardly a complicated game....but maybe that's the problem....

Chickdigcookies
08-17-2010, 04:48 PM
What?

What does knowledge of farming in MMO's have to do with Mynas gear?

I'm lost.

I've been playing for about a week...and I think I've got to grips with the basics, done all but 2 of the 30+ quests in the first three town(e)s. Moving to new campaigns as i get higher level. Doesn't everyone play like that? The instances I end up playing in always seem to contain normal people who are able to play their role in the team....

It's hardly a complicated game....but maybe that's the problem....

oh noes...

Mynas Generation is the people who powerlevel the characters in AO2-3, Mynas Tombs(?). Nothing to do with gear.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
If many people disagree, this wont happen =/

And I can tell many people are too lazy to message here. but no matter what happens, if one wants a lot of xp very fast, they have no choice but to follow the mynas generation (AO2-3 over and over again).

Snakespeare
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I've been playing for about a week...and I think I've got to grips with the basics, done all but 2 of the 30+ quests in the first three town(e)s. Moving to new campaigns as i get higher level. Doesn't everyone play like that?

Very admirable!!! You are the opposite if the problem. It's great to meet you!

No, this refers to people who play differently from you. They run around behind higher level players and "leech" their XP. They are called the Mynas Generation because of the location where they do their most leeching.

But you keep doing what you are doing! That is the right way to play. :)

S

p.s. if you see "Emorin" around, say hi. That's my questing character.

Snakespeare
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Everybody,
I just wanted to put a post here today that I am going to make an attempt to decrease or extinguish the large amount of players playing today known as "The Mynas Generation". The way I will do this is I will advertise in towne and tell people to send me a friend request. Then I will host password protected "classes" (not like school), informing the players the various items, rarity of items, prices of items, where to farm them, what farming is, and the best gear for their build. I am hoping doing so will decrease "The Mynas Generation" and help create better teams for farming as well as encouraging other players to complete all the levels. Leave your comments about this here. Thanks for your time.

I was thinking a similar thought. A "boot camp" where 1 higher level player takes 4 beginners into a map and teaches some basics. like, you know, if you're ranged, stand back and shoot. Or, how to draw a boss away from his adds. Things like that. It could be fun, and it would give the oldies something to do while awaiting the next campaign.

KingFu
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
The people that power level to the cap are usually easy to point out, I see 45s daily with about 500 kills and 200 deaths, my tank only has 2K kills and my archer only has 3K, but I started power leveling my archer at 35 (to 40, when that was the cap, which isn't really power leveling at all, but I use him for PvP) and my tank and 25 (to 45)

People power leveling just want to be 45 for bragging rights, or to wear the new gear. They will come to realize that the missed out on great expansions when they do so.

Just the other day I was talking to a level 30 or so that only had forest haven, dark forest and AO2, and I told them they will probably get booted a lot and that they are missing out on great campaigns, and they sold I don't care, I wanna get to 45, it's getting pretty insane...

Royce
08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm glad to see there are people trying to fix this problem. My simple suggestion (found here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?5341-HELP-Please&p=52179&viewfull=1#post52179) was to change the map that is causing the issue, but even if that were to happen we would still be left with a multitude of level 45 players who don't know how to do anything but run around behind stronger players with autoattack on, and this sort of thing could remedy that.

Ibmk
08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I want ao2

Cascade
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Dude yeah...I think it should be REQUIRED that you have to play through every single campaign...The way they could fix the power lvling noobs is that you absoulutely have to be a certain lvl before you can even play or buy the map...so like you would have to be atlest lvl 40 to play AO2! Feedback?

KingFu
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Dude yeah...I think it should be REQUIRED that you have to play through every single campaign...The way they could fix the power lvling noobs is that you absoulutely have to be a certain lvl before you can even play or buy the map...so like you would have to be atlest lvl 40 to play AO2! Feedback?

Ehh, I don't know, it is a awful leveling through swamps, and I wouldn't mind having requirements, but I do like to level in AO2 at about level 35 or higher. I am kinda half and half about this. Also, it would stop people from leveling new characters knowing you have to play Forest Haven to 13, Dark Forest to 18 etc. I wouldn't mind some of it, but we all know it would get annoying when you hit LE, then Swamps, etc.

Furrawn
08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I fear that what you'll be teaching them will not result in excellent seasoned players. They need to learn teamwork and strategy. Teaching them items and farming FIRST seems like it would lead to even more selfishness, greed, and unacceptable game-playing behavior.

Case in point:
I was in AO2 yesterday. A lvl 45 Mage joined the game. He died every two seconds. No kidding. I asked him what equipment he was using. It was all horrible. Like the white bone cloth trash drop from lost ex. I asked him if he had found pinks and purples ever. He said yes but he sold them for a specific weapon. Then, he sold that too. So I gave him a full set of khafra purples and a good purple lvl 45 staff. I told him to never sell the equipment his char needs- just to sell things he doesn't need. I told him when he finds pinks to replace what I gave him, he should just give the purple set to someone that needs help. So, a few hours later, he's in game again, dying and naked again while begging to buy my voodoo doll :( I failed in my effort to teach or help or change the situation.

I'm not sure the right path.
I think the first right step is not allowing anyone below a level 30 into AO2.
I personally think the "xp runs" for complete newbies at crazy levels like AO2 have single-handedly created the mynas generation. And it's a shame:(

The swamps should absolutely be mandatory to get to any Oasis campaign, in my opinion. The swamps are hard. Teamwork & game skills have to be learned to survive in there:)

KingFu
08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I wish we could back to the LE and Fathom days, back when everyone knew everyone else, there weren't very many noobs or enemies, you didn't get asked for gold or free weapons every second, or get sent friend requests, and when power leveling and farming were unheard of. :(

Furrawn
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I wish we could back to the LE and Fathom days, back when everyone knew everyone else, there weren't very many noobs or enemies, you didn't get asked for gold or free weapons every second, or get sent friend requests, and when power leveling and farming were unheard of. :(

Me, too, Mystic. Me, too.

Snakespeare
08-17-2010, 05:45 PM
But MD, everyone should do Swamps at least once. And if they hate it, the rest of those five levels of XP can be gotten from Skeller.

Seriously, I learned a LOT in Swamps. The biggest things I learned were:
1. Create a sequence of debuffing them and buffing yourself, then hit them with your biggest combo. It wasn't really necessary to debuff the opposition until Swamps and so I underestimated the value of those skills. Now I use them all the time.
2. Don't let yourself get pulled!!! If you're an archer and the bear stomps and the mage does a fireball, and you're on auto-attack, you get pulled into their kill box where they swarm and kill you. The only way to survive is to learn to wait for them to come back. They always come back. But I would not have learned THIS in Skeller.
3. Know your enemy. Some go down easily, some heal others, some are really tough. Take out the healers first, then the mages who don't heal, etc.

These are the more sophisticated strategies that seem to be missing from people who skip the Swamps.

Ibmk
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
There should be something like an exchange building where you could put offers up to buy or sell items and everyone else could see that offer so you would trade much faster

Royce
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
There should be something like an exchange building where you could put offers up to buy or sell items and everyone else could see that offer so you would trade much faster

1. This couldn't be more OT
2. They are working on an auction hous to be added to the game soon

Prest87
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
But MD, everyone should do Swamps at least once. And if they hate it, the rest of those five levels of XP can be gotten from Skeller.

1. Create a sequence of debuffing them and buffing yourself, then hit them with your biggest combo. It wasn't really necessary to debuff the opposition until Swamps and so I underestimated the value of those skills. Now I use them all the time.
2. Don't let yourself get pulled!!! If you're an archer and the bear stomps and the mage does a fireball, and you're on auto-attack, you get pulled into their kill box where they swarm and kill you. The only way to survive is to learn to wait for them to come back. They always come back. But I would not have learned THIS in Skeller.
3. Know your enemy. Some go down easily, some heal others, some are really tough. Take out the healers first, then the mages who don't heal, etc.

These are the more sophisticated strategies that seem to be missing from people who skip the Swamps.

I tottally agree with this when ancient swamps came out all those monthes ago it taught me what skills really matter and made team work extremly important because of how tough the enemies were.

KingFu
08-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Hmm, so very true, I was mainly thinking about us that level new characters, since we already have been there, we already have been taught that, but the new players will learn vital information to help them in higher level expansions, and in PvP

jonboy
08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Great idea, well thought out, with thoughtful and constructive comments.

Rarefew
08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll be your assistant Im gonna be a lawyer so I can debate

Nostero
08-17-2010, 08:57 PM
What if we made it so that if you DONT have a level 45 character then you have to play the campaigns that are lower than your level, at your level, an one campaign above your level. This way if a 45 wants to level a new character then he can power level at ao2-3, and new players who just started will have to play the campaigns their level!

I personally think this is the way to go

Furrawn
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I thought of this too, but it wouldn't change all the xp-misdemeanor 45's out there now. They outnumber us, I think. They'd have freedom to create more incapable annoying mewling 45's:(

So there'd be more of:
iplaygood lvl 45
Kills 21 deaths 0. ***name is made-up. Stats, unfortunately, are not.

Hmmmm. Know what we need? how about two very very very difficult quests that we have to complete to EARN the ability to power level?
Quest 1- done as a team and is impossible without great teamwork
Quest 2- done alone and requires strategy

The quests could be the gatekeeper.
What do you think?

Banned
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I thought of this too, but it wouldn't change all the xp-misdemeanor 45's out there now. They outnumber us, I think. They'd have freedom to create more incapable annoying mewling 45's:(

So there'd be more of:
iplaygood lvl 45
Kills 21 deaths 0. ***name is made-up. Stats, unfortunately, are not.

Hmmmm. Know what we need? how about two very very very difficult quests that we have to complete to EARN the ability to power level?
Quest 1- done as a team and is impossible without great teamwork
Quest 2- done alone and requires strategy

The quests could be the gatekeeper.
What do you think?

Earn the right to power level? It's not like power leveling is a feature. It's a player created strategy that allows easy exp gain. You can't "earn" that.

Dharken
08-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Maybe it's too late to fix the existing ones. Maybe just hope they get bored and leave the game. But what about all the hundreds and hundreds of new players who will join in the future? If you could force their first character to go through each campaign, surely that would be useful?

And isn't it strange that the game let's you purchase AO campaigns when you haven't purchased earlier ones? I mean, why would any legitimate player ever need to do that? Surely it should be forced to buy them all consecutively? ...

Interesting thread BTW. Just my 2c from a level 22 newbie. Like Gazz I am enjoying each campaign, have purchased them all but the highest level I've entered is one of those Ice stages. I don't want to skip content I've paid for just to rush to 45! Also I often go back to earlier levels and run through with the level 12's or whatever. They think I'm a beast, LOL! ... Bless their little hearts.

Furrawn
08-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned- how is earning it through a quest any different than earning it through one char having to go through all the campaigns? You must not have read the entire thread where we were discussing making power leveling impossible unless earning it first by going through all campaigns w first char. Still, my quest idea was not a good one. The best is making them play through the campaigns w first char.

Dharken- you are absolutely right. My judgement was clouded by how many times I see things happening lately because of the glut of mynas generation players. You're right the future players matter the most when thinking about possible solutions. Based on that, we'd go with making the first char level to 45 properly and hope the already existing mynas generation becomes the minority- because right now it feels like they are the majority.

Can we make the folks (whoever they are) who power leveled newbies for money through mynas with no guidance have to friend & play with every monster they created til they are decent players? Lol lol lol

*** I don't see anything wrong with power leveling but not newbies. Greed should never matter more than the game and community. I met a lvl 45 a few days ago who didn't know how to buy a potion.

vulgarstrike
08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I really learned from swamps too. but I'd like to propose a limit. your level must not be more than 7 lower than the highest character at time of joining, etc

Chickdigcookies
08-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Wtb attunement plz!

Royce
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
How to solve this problem right now in 2 steps (though it will never happen):
1. Add some harder mobs and a couple of Djinn to the hallways in the Tombs of Mynas
2. Revoke all XP that has ever been gained on that map
:D :D :D Problem Solved

Anyway, I also agree that it makes sense to require a player to unlock each campaign by beating the one before it, but I'm not sure the devs will go for that either (after all they must have had reasons for not setting it up like that in the first place).

Banned
08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned- how is earning it through a quest any different than earning it through one char having to go through all the campaigns? You must not have read the entire thread where we were discussing making power leveling impossible unless earning it first by going through all campaigns w first char. Still, my quest idea was not a good one. The best is making them play through the campaigns w first char.

I know, but you're using the term "earn" incorrectly. The ability to mindlessly farm exp from a certain level isn't something you can earn. You can earn gold, gear, unlockable levels, exp, quests, etc. But you can't actually earn power leveling.

It's not something that was put into the game, it's something that players are exploiting.

Staffed
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok cool I like it

jonboy
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Wtb attunement plz!

lolz.......

Furrawn
08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I know, but you're using the term "earn" incorrectly. The ability to mindlessly farm exp from a certain level isn't something you can earn. You can earn gold, gear, unlockable levels, exp, quests, etc. But you can't actually earn power leveling.

It's not something that was put into the game, it's something that players are exploiting.

Lol lol you aren't understanding me. Sorry if I wasn't clear:(

I KNOW it's something that's not a game feature- it's something players learned and exploit. HOWEVER, we are discussing making the exploitation impossible without first taking a char through all the campaigns thus unlocking or "earning" the ability to jump straight to the AO2 lvl 3 with their subsequent characters. Hence, what is now a learned exploit will be an earned reward. You might choose not to use "earn" but in the context I used it in, it was not incorrect.

"earn"- to gain in return for one's behavior or achievements
[one of the definitions in the oxford dictionary]

In the context of making the game locked so new players can NO longer power level in Mynas unless they first have a level 45 char that has gone through the campaigns appropriately, "earn" is completely correct.

Dharken
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
As swell as that would be. They made it so a player had to play through every campaign just a few weeks ago and that went swimmingly....Not. Lol

Really? What were the complaints about it? Or a link to a thread please? I'm interested is all.

Snakespeare
08-18-2010, 01:38 AM
The locking of previously unlocked content was definitely met with howls. It could be a while beforenthey do that again, if ever.

I had another idea on this, and I suggested it over in the suggestion form. Instead of DIScouraging the one behavior, let's ENcourage the other. For that my suggestion was to display quest accomplishments more prominently. But there could be other ways. The idea of a Leaderboard was being discussed in the PvP forum. This is a form of positive reinforcement.

But I don't think they'll be locking content again soon.

Furrawn
08-18-2010, 02:18 AM
The point is for NEW players to have to play their first character through. The howls of which you speak were because those of us who had owned & played the campaigns for months found them locked.

The devs are losing a tremendous amount of money because of the campaigns being skipped and not bought by the new accounts. I'm sure they will at least consider it...
It would just go into effect for new people coming into PL.

Or just make it so levels too low cannot join higher campaigns.

Snake~
I'm afraid that your suggestions, while great, won't appeal much to many of the mynas generation. They are running around with 400 kills for a lvl 45. I don't think they care about stats & leaderboards. If they did, there would probably be no problem to begin with... I agree that positive reinforcement is good...

I fail to see, however, why you think new players having to play through the campaigns the first time is negative reinforcement... ALL of us oldies played through and it was wonderful...

Of course, all this is hypothetical anyway... But brainstorming always rocks:D

GaZz
08-18-2010, 02:48 AM
oh noes...

Mynas Generation is the people who powerlevel the characters in AO2-3, Mynas Tombs(?). Nothing to do with gear.

Ah ok! I get you.

Surely some higher levels are part of the problem too, you can't just rock up to AO2-3 as a level 1 and end up level 45. Someone has to be helping them.

No, this refers to people who play differently from you. They run around behind higher level players and "leech" their XP. They are called the Mynas Generation because of the location where they do their most leeching.

Yeh, I had a quick run though AO1 with some higher levels when I was around level 10, its not much fun though not being able to kill anything. Plus, its fun to do the quests! (apart from the 256 tomes - thats doing me in - getting there slowly though!)

Thing is though, understanding how to play MMO's isn't limited to this game. I've played them for years and understand that different mobs do different things and require kiting or a different strategy, pulling mobs off a boss etc

Either way, short of restricting the campaigns by level, theres not much you can do. Higher levels 'powerlevelling' lower levels happens in every MMO. You won't get rid of it. All you have to remember is, being powerlevelled to 45 does not equal 45 levels of game skill. Their game play style will reflect that, either boot them or leave the instance.

Royce
08-18-2010, 07:13 AM
As swell as that would be. They made it so a player had to play through every campaign just a few weeks ago and that went swimmingly....Not. Lol

First of all, that was a completely different thing. they made it so that you had to beat map 2 for instance in a given campaign to access map 3. That is actually how the campaigns all work now when they come out. But it is completely different to say someone must beat campaign number 2 to access campaign number 3. Also, that was only an issue because for one thing people who had already beaten those maps had to beat them again, and also to a degree because of petty whiners like you :P

Royce
08-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Ah ok! I get you.

Surely some higher levels are part of the problem too, you can't just rock up to AO2-3 as a level 1 and end up level 45. Someone has to be helping them.

Yeh, I had a quick run though AO1 with some higher levels when I was around level 10, its not much fun though not being able to kill anything. Plus, its fun to do the quests! (apart from the 256 tomes - thats doing me in - getting there slowly though!)

Thing is though, understanding how to play MMO's isn't limited to this game. I've played them for years and understand that different mobs do different things and require kiting or a different strategy, pulling mobs off a boss etc

Either way, short of restricting the campaigns by level, theres not much you can do. Higher levels 'powerlevelling' lower levels happens in every MMO. You won't get rid of it. All you have to remember is, being powerlevelled to 45 does not equal 45 levels of game skill. Their game play style will reflect that, either boot them or leave the instance.

Sure higher level players were there in the beginning to get the ball rolling, but now it's a self-perpetuating mess since the Mynas kids can now level more Mynas kids. Also, that map is so ridiculous, a level 30 could power level people on it. Finally, there is a big difference between powerleveling as it used to exist before the Mynas phenomenon, and now. No one expects, and most people don't want, to get rid of powerleveling in an appropriate way. However, the Mynas generation is ruining the experience of playing at the level cap, and we need to cut it off.

GaZz
08-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Crikey. There's more than I thought. Just logged in and entered Forest Haven. Clicked on the closest 5 people to me. Bearning in mind I am level 30. With 2470 kills and 108 deaths.
Me.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0020.PNG

Them.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0015.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0016.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0017.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0018.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2321965/IMG_0019.PNG

Rarefew
08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
A bird killed those guys in pvp cmon

deathish
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
ow im not in the screenies im mynas generation too!

tothe guy who posted the screenies above. ummm tanks cant last hit most of the time and wer tough so we dont die alot. so do a bit more research before pointing out mynas generation ppl ok?

Dharken
08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I have over 1700 kills and im lvl 25 warrior so..... One of those pics has 907 at lvl45.

Having said that i dont care if its somebodies 2nd char, i can understand that they dont want to run around the low dungeons for 2 more weeks just to level up.

GaZz
08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
ow im not in the screenies im mynas generation too!

tothe guy who posted the screenies above. ummm tanks cant last hit most of the time and wer tough so we dont die alot. so do a bit more research before pointing out mynas generation ppl ok?

Which side are you on?

EDIT - right... so 907 kills @ lvl 45? That's normal?

vulgarstrike
08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
i trained my bird through all campaigns, but i only have 7k kills becuase i used xp pots.
i power leveld my paladin and have 2k kills

deathish
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
heres my input into this topic, these are just my thoughts.

i think some of you are missing the point that we are all paying customers here. complaining about a single level for fast xp is kinda laughable in my opinion. ppl make alts all the time to try new classes so yes they would not play their best. some of the examples mentioned in here are prolly the worst out of a whole bunch of new 45s. ppl shouldnt base it on kills/deaths , everyone has different skills, internet connection , idevices and this can affect all these.

about map 3 i have a hunch that it was purposely made to be like that. come on every mmorpg gets easier as it lasts longer.
see how easy it is to lvl in world of... (not sure if im allowed to say) compared to the classic version. i dont get how ppl wanna go back in the days that u all know each other? cus it sounds pretty lame , it completely ignores the Massive Multiplayer bit in MMO lol. some of u should be happier that the game is becoming more popular ( 800+
online at peaktime woot) than ever and wer not even lvl 100.

Royce
08-18-2010, 11:53 AM
heres my input into this topic, these are just my thoughts.

i think some of you are missing the point that we are all paying customers here. complaining about a single level for fast xp is kinda laughable in my opinion. ppl make alts all the time to try new classes so yes they would not play their best. some of the examples mentioned in here are prolly the worst out of a whole bunch of new 45s. ppl shouldnt base it on kills/deaths , everyone has different skills, internet connection , idevices and this can affect all these.

about map 3 i have a hunch that it was purposely made to be like that. come on every mmorpg gets easier as it lasts longer.
see how easy it is to lvl in world of... (not sure if im allowed to say) compared to the classic version. i dont get how ppl wanna go back in the days that u all know each other? cus it sounds pretty lame , it completely ignores the Massive Multiplayer bit in MMO lol. some of u should be happier that the game is becoming more popular ( 800+
online at peaktime woot) than ever and wer not even lvl 100.

I think you're missing the point. The discussion of players leveling alts is confusing this discussion. The point is there should not be an easy way for a new player to get the first character on their account to the level cap without actually having to learn how to play at all. Fine there will always be a small group of people who have friends that play and have high level characters that can power level them (in the appropriate way). The issue is that the Tombs are ridiculously easy. A team of level 20 somethings would have little difficultly leveling there without any upper level help. That is a problem, and there's no way that should be the case on a level 40-45 map. I love the fact that the game is growing, but the new players have to learn how to play. I'm so sick of joining games with level 45s who have no idea how to play as a team, or even play at all. You expect that at the lower levels, but you never used to see it much past Fathom or so. Now we have a majority of level 45s who you can't even play with because they are just terrible, and since no one will play with them (except each other), they will learn to play better very slowly if at all.

Snakespeare
08-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Snake~
I'm afraid that your suggestions, while great, won't appeal much to many of the mynas generation. They are running around with 400 kills for a lvl 45. I don't think they care about stats & leaderboards. If they did, there would probably be no problem to begin with... I agree that positive reinforcement is good...

I fail to see, however, why you think new players having to play through the campaigns the first time is negative reinforcement... ALL of us oldies played through and it was wonderful...

Of course, all this is hypothetical anyway... But brainstorming always rocks:D

Well.... according to Behaviorism, there is no such thing as negative reinforcement, and I am told that Aversion Therapy doesn't work, either, so I'm just arguing against forms of punishment. I'd rather see a guided development, like the quests, except enforced.

I completely agree with the idea of the campaign levels being locked for the first pass, and that one should have to unlock the last of the previous campaign before they can enter the first level of the next campaign. It must have been some miscommunication.possibly on my part. There's a lot of "this is just wrong" talk going on, and I think it's still to reactive. We need to think up positive suggestions that will make people want to play every level.

I guess leaderboards are coming.

Royce
08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

Leaderboars will make this situation worse. Kill farmers, who also run the tombs and don't want people their own level there to potentially take away kills, also happen to be ideal power-levelers for folks who just wanna stand back and soak up the XP.

Snakespeare
08-19-2010, 11:24 AM
So today I was in Hidden Passage #4 and there was...you might already know this, a level 45 standing on the leech point. And the Darkbolt Blaster of Mastery dropped on him. My level 19 twink died 3 times trying to kill that Zyla, and that level 45 leech just stood there, and took the pink. That's your Mynas Generation for you. A blight on this game. *sigh!*

so much for me not adding to the this-is-wrong talk! LOL!

FluffNStuff
08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Well.... according to Behaviorism, there is no such thing as negative reinforcement, and I am told that Aversion Therapy doesn't work, either, so I'm just arguing against forms of punishment. I'd rather see a guided development, like the quests, except enforced.

I completely agree with the idea of the campaign levels being locked for the first pass, and that one should have to unlock the last of the previous campaign before they can enter the first level of the next campaign. It must have been some miscommunication.possibly on my part. There's a lot of "this is just wrong" talk going on, and I think it's still to reactive. We need to think up positive suggestions that will make people want to play every level.

The only problem with requiring earlier completion for later unlocks is the Devs will be accused of greediness and it won't work anyway. It will turn into people paying real money to buy the campaigns and then paying fake money to have someone power them through it once, and never go back.

Snakespeare
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
If the leaderboards were tied to the campaigns, they could show how many times you entered a campaign, or a map. Then we could see which level 45s are just AO2:3 leeches. Then there could be bragging rights about how many times you beat Swamps! :-)

And another one said, "I'm a level 45. I am too lazy to level you." Excuse me? I did not ask to have my twink levelled, nor did I want it. I wanted to play in a group, and this "I'm a level 45 so I'm special" guy was taking up space just standing around waiting for a pink to drop. They don't want to play, they want to have things given to them, so of course they accuse others of it! It's the only reality they know.

vulgarstrike
08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
there should be nothing until the map update for level 100, which requires you to have at least 20000 kills to participate.

Furrawn
08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
The only problem with requiring earlier completion for later unlocks is the Devs will be accused of greediness and it won't work anyway. It will turn into people paying real money to buy the campaigns and then paying fake money to have someone power them through it once, and never go back.

I don't think the devs will be accused of greed by 99% of the players. The campaigns are BIG content for the price of a hat. And it would very much, I think, cut down on the mynas generation...

The number of first chars who can pay someone enough to level them would be very few since power leveling wouldn't be possible for the first character. There would be no quick way to run a char through properly. A lvl 45 could help but it wouldn't be power leveling. Besides, put a lvl 45 and a lvl 30 in the swamps, and the lvl 30 will learn even w the 45 helping.

kavanah
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Why can't, as the majority of active lvl 45s, we just all decide not to powerlevel people unless they can prove they have a lvl 45 character already?

Furrawn
08-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Why can't, as the majority of active lvl 45s, we just all decide not to powerlevel people unless they can prove they have a lvl 45 character already?

I think because most of us on the forum don't powerlevel clueless noobs to 45 in one day. Some of us help lower levels responsibly through appropriate campaigns without monetary gain to be helpful and pay forward the groundwork of good players for a healthy happy PL community. The minority who powerlevel lvl 1 tots into lvl 45 trolls in a day are probably not on the forum concerned about the mynas generation.

Though probably "minority" is incorrect. I'm sure some of the mynas generation has learned, and taken for their own, the nasty habits of the jerks who taught them:(