PDA

View Full Version : Guide Wars Solution

DanielRH
05-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Hiya,

So in the past (4 months, something like that) there has been a giant increase in players who are trying to help but end up writing guides that have already been written numerous times.
So instead of flaming these people that really want to help, lets think up some areas of PL that have not been written about (either at all or not in depth). This list would then give all these happy helping folks a direction to head in if they want to helpout by writeing a useful needed guide.

Also, a notice to you happy helping folks, don't just do the guide yourself, team up with a few others and each work on a section/look over the work that the other team mates have done, there's always going to be things that one person will miss!

And now, to the rest of the community, stop flaming and get to work! What would YOU want to see a guide in? What topics have not been covored? What guides do you think are needed not only to help new players but perhaps more advanced subjects!

I will maintain a list here for all those happy helping folks to view, and to take on a guide (if you want to take on a guide, please post which one your doing and whom your doing it with).

I hope this will help us get out of this overdose of common knowledge we seem to be in, and direct players in directions not yet explored!

As always, comments and suggestions are most definitely welcome on this post.

Thanks!

/DanielRH

P.S. on the topic of thanks, not flaming or anything, but i really think its just so pointless using precious minutes of your life for a little green bar, but if you want to waste your time for such a silly thing which in all honesty means absolutely nothing... feel free :P

drewcapu
05-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Shadow Caves guide! :vD:

StompArtist
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Make it a game: Guide Wars!!!

Drizzid
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
There's no teaching common sense to most, and for those who are pointing out the obvious for the sake of forum rep are going to hear about it from me. We're seriously one step away from a guide on how to open the pocket legends app and log in.

Where's the fun in having a step by step process through the game anyways?

I have a better idea... Don't make any more guides, I think we're good.

Zeus
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Made a thread like this. ._.

FluffNStuff
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Is this a guide?

Ixillicus
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I read the title and thought it said "Guild Wars Solution" and was totally expecting something useful...

lol

Rauekat
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I read the title and thought it said "Guild Wars Solution" and was totally expecting something useful...

lol

same here lol! nice guide on guide wars! :)

DanielRH
05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Sorry Apollo, did not realize you had already brought this up.

Fluff, no. This is not a guide, its a post trying to get the community to stop flaming and do something useful.

RedRyder
05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Guide wars solution:

Leave it to physiologic, Morfic, gluttony, snake and fluff. That's just off the top of my head, anyone I'm missing then please correct me

Elyseon
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Guide wars solution:

Leave it to physiologic, Morfic, gluttony, snake and fluff. That's just off the top of my head, anyone I'm missing then please correct me
Win

Making guides isn't a required part of being a forumer, I honestly don't think I've made any serious ones.

Making guides also should not be looked on as the popular thing to get easy fame- I know no one will openly admit to that, and I realize the excuse of thinking your guide is high quality.

Here's what to do, look at 80% of the guides than look at one of physiologic's if you see no difference, don't write a guide furthermore if you bypass that, and get feedback on how general your guide was, and you think it's as good as one like physiologic's, please refrain from making anymore

FluffNStuff
05-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Best solution would be for Sam to implement a wikia on the site. The only issue with going that direction is would we lose the community aspect of questions / answer / discussion? Let's say he did add a wikia. How would you earn privilege? How would you lose privilege? How would conflicts be resolved (like data conflicts)? I think we could do a great job with it as a community. Hmm, check with me ~elsewhere~ about this in a bit.

RedRyder
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
One of us could make an unofficial wikia, Sam could review it, then sticky it in every section?

The problem is that people make hasty, unfinished "work in progress" guides to gain popularity.
I've never made a guide in my PL life and I'm still pretty awesome B)

Unless anyone wants a guide for counting the pixels in every model in game, I'd say that pl is pretty much covered I terms of guides.

Drizzid
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I would be reluctant to contribute to a wiki page that anyone can just simply add or delete information on.

Phoenixking
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Someone to continue the pinks guide, shadow caves guide. That's all I remember. For the future. The new campaign things. 'nuff said from me.

Skeletonlord
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Guide Wars! Great idea! Create the most helpful guide to win in game money and items!

Phoenixking
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Guide Wars! Great idea! Create the most helpful guide to win in game money and items!
No, it's creepy In my opinion.

Cahaun
05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Guide Legends? Great another one... ;)

Phoenixking
05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Guide Legends? Great another one... ;)
Guild legends is better. I like the game. Very social.

Elyseon
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Why am I not surprised?

Entertaining
05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
One of us could make an unofficial wikia, Sam could review it, then sticky it in every section?

The problem is that people make hasty, unfinished "work in progress" guides to gain popularity.
I've never made a guide in my PL life and I'm still pretty awesome B)

Unless anyone wants a guide for counting the pixels in every model in game, I'd say that pl is pretty much covered I terms of guides.

Not only unfinished work, but they also don't do thread maintenance. They create a thread and never once do they even view its comments. Or fix it when updates make it out of date. We dont need guides that become obsolete in a day. Low level pvp will be around forever. (note to self: put link to your own guide here and advertise it on every thread)

DanielRH
05-24-2012, 03:46 PM
The wiki idea is AMAZING, would get rid of the rep issue and be an easily accessible information source

Physiologic
05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I remember way back in the day when I first started playing in Dec 2010 (Alien Oasis was level cap), I had no idea what I was doing during AO3: Victory Lap! I would sometimes get fortunate and get good team members, but a lot of times my teammates would be as clueless as I was (i.e. Why did Gurgox kill us all again???). All I wanted good drops for good money, so I decided to write down on Microsoft Notepad some tricks and details and what factors made certain runs much much faster than others. This Notepad file grew pretty big, and I thought other people might find it useful, especially when they are as clueless as I was when I first started. This is when I decided to create my first guide for the STS community. Then I realized my archer sucked, and I couldn't find any recent guides on archer builds. I went back to my Notepad and tried to figure out what worked best for me and for my team members. This notepad grew to be quite a large document as well, so that's when I created my Archer guide.

To be honest, guide-making shouldn't be a race or a popularity contest or something you want people to applaud and say "marvelous guide!" Guides should be made primarily to disseminate information that is essentially novel and useful to the public. I emphasize novel specifically because new information is always better than known information. Or, a guide can be created to categorize known information into a much easier to read/understand format. And a great guide will ALWAYS take forever and a half to create. I know Yanis has spent the same countless hours I have, sometimes 20-30+ hours on one thread/guide just to perfect it. It's somewhat of an OCD problem that we both have.

This should not deter anyone from creating any documentation, whether it be a guide, a list of items, or simple pointers on the STS forums. But before you decide you want to create one, ask yourself - is this brand new information that can really help people, or is it something that seems to be common sense? Will this information help answer a lot of questions that the general public may have?

Zeus
05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I remember way back in the day when I first started playing in Dec 2010 (Alien Oasis was level cap), I had no idea what I was doing during AO3: Victory Lap! I would sometimes get fortunate and get good team members, but a lot of times my teammates would be as clueless as I was (i.e. Why did Gurgox kill us all again???). All I wanted good drops for good money, so I decided to write down on Microsoft Notepad some tricks and details and what factors made certain runs much much faster than others. This Notepad file grew pretty big, and I thought other people might find it useful, especially when they are as clueless as I was when I first started. This is when I decided to create my first guide for the STS community. Then I realized my archer sucked, and I couldn't find any recent guides on archer builds. I went back to my Notepad and tried to figure out what worked best for me and for my team members. This notepad grew to be quite a large document as well, so that's when I created my Archer guide.

To be honest, guide-making shouldn't be a race or a popularity contest or something you want people to applaud and say "marvelous guide!" Guides should be made primarily to disseminate information that is essentially novel and useful to the public. I emphasize novel specifically because new information is always better than known information. Or, a guide can be created to categorize known information into a much easier to read/understand format. And a great guide will ALWAYS take forever and a half to create. I know Yanis has spent the same countless hours I have, sometimes 20-30+ hours on one thread/guide just to perfect it. It's somewhat of an OCD problem that we both have.

This should not deter anyone from creating any documentation, whether it be a guide, a list of items, or simple pointers on the STS forums. But before you decide you want to create one, ask yourself - is this brand new information that can really help people, or is it something that seems to be common sense? Will this information help answer a lot of questions that the general public may have?

And he's back! Yay! Stick around! :)

Elyseon
05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
a previous game i played used wikispaces which i liked, idk, if someone would like to start anywhere that could be nice