PDA

View Full Version : an alternative to gamble packs.

wvhills
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
hello all. I, like many of you, do not have a favorable opinion of gamble packs. I have no problem with the best weapons/gems/outfits being available for plat- in fact, i think the best gear SHOULD be available for plat. The thing I'm disappointed in is the method of purchase.

I think I understand the reasoning behind them: first off nothing is available for cash in game (i.e. you don't see firebrands with a price of $10). You purchase plat with cash and this creates a disconnect in your brain (i.e. this items doesn't cost $10, it's 40 plats). Secondly, to create a further disconnect, you don't list the desired item for sale individually at the price you want, you put it for sale at a lower cost within the gamble packs at a specific drop rate. I believe this is done to eliminate "sticker shock"- the firebrand doesn't cost 100 plats, it cost 25 plats but has a 1/4 drop rate. However, this only lasts for about a month until your credit card statement comes in and you see the charges and think "holy crap! I spent $120 on this game last month"! Then you look in your inventory and the only thing you have to show for it is a bunch of greens. That leads to people raging and not buying plat. Yes, you've gotten $120 out of them but that's all you get because you've alienated that person. Then you have to constant think of promotions/vanities, special weekends, etc. to try to entice them to come back.

I feel like it would be best just to list the items for sale individually and do away with gamble packs. I'm sure you'll get some who complain "a 100 plat for a firebrand!" but I feel like most will be happy to get what they pay for. You may not get that $120 from the person all at once but you'll have a happy player who'll spend $20-30 a month for years to come.

If you're dead set on having gamble packs, that's fine. I'm just you also consider having the items for sale individually because I would definitely buy them but refuse to participate in the gamble packs.

In the end it depends on how the community acts. If people continue to buy up gamble packs like they're hotcakes (tasty hotcakes, not the kind I make, hehe) then all the complaining in the world won't change things.

Xaphan Fox
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
When it comes to my wallet... I like choices, and loathe being led by a carrot.

It's great ideas, but unfortunately been mentioned ad naseum.

New expansion coming up soon.

Let's see what changes... then decide whether to continue operation: pissy badger... or be happy!

Xaphan Fox
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
...or being able to buy the gamble packs with in-game gold...

That world be hot sauce!!

Bark bark...

wvhills
05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
I know it's been mentioned in threads elsewhere I just thought I'd start a thread and try to drum up support. Judging by the lack of response I guess I'm the only one who has a problem with them and sts is on the right track with them. I'll continue my one man pissy badger show. haha.

FluffNStuff
05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
The problem is it is not a problem for 90%. They would rather pay 25 plat for any weapon and get a chance at a flame weapon then X plat for the flame weapon. It is the players that NEED the flame weapon that are paying so much and would be willing to pay a lot for the flame weapon. Now if they upped the price, it would be great for the 10% that are spending a lot but bad for the other 90%. Now those 10% that are spending a lot are a VERY important 10%, so they do need to do something to make sure they are happy. I do fear that some are rage quitting before they even bother contacting support which is bad for the game, so they need to have a system in place for this, and stop treating it as an 'if they complain' scenario. It should be a certain number of fails guarantees a success, or perhaps ~also~ offer it as a stand alone 200 plat option. Would make it look really cool to the casuals that happen to get it in the 25 plat gamble pack.

Prestige
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
You guys have no idea what gambling is... Gambling risks are a lot greater in real life and in several big mmorpgs. The chances are at least somewhat high to get the high valued weapon. I myself bombed 300 platinum on just one weapon during the sale, but I'm not complaining. Maybe they could throw something in if you take your chances X amount of times. Not necessarily the desired weapon, but something to keep the player satisfied.

minamoo
05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
lawwddd...i ain't spending a penny no more...thats all i'm saying....i spent $49.99 on bundles packages etc...next day...everything is half-off......add to that , the fact that you cannot trade nor sell the pinks /greens that you have out-leveld!!!! I mean just what kinda crazzzzzzynussnuss is that?...oh well!!