PDA

View Full Version : For all of you philosophy lovers like me

MightyMicah
06-02-2012, 09:56 PM
The worst kind of attack is when you don't even know you are being attacked.

Think about this statement carefully. Physically, mentally, spiritually, it makes sense.

Your thoughts? (try to keep this serious please)
~MM

Sryyoulose
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Or your attacking yourself and you know it and can't stop it aka addiction.

That's my view I've seen a couple of my friends become hooked on certain things and it's messed them up a great deal.

Growwle
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
The worst kind of attack is when you don't even know you are being attacked.

Think about this statement carefully. Physically, mentally, spiritually, it makes sense.

Your thoughts? (try to keep this serious please)
~MM

This is not necessarily deep or philosophical, but rather primal as fear of the unknown is really the only true fear.

MightyMicah
06-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Actually, it may be deeper than you think. while I agree with your statement, mine is somewhat different. The reason why the attack is horrible is not because is it unknown. The factor that it is unknown simply worsens the case. For instance, if you were to take the literal term of "attack." If someone were continuously attacking you without you knowing it, you would soon die. Fear of the unknown did not kill you, nor did the fact that it was unknown to you kill you. The person attacking you killed you, but because you didn't know it, you couldn't stop it. THAT (caps for emphasis) is why it is the worst kind of attack.

Sryyoulose
06-02-2012, 10:29 PM
This is where I beg to differ, it's worse if you know your killin yourself but won't/can't make the change.

Suentous PO
06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
For instance, if you were to take the literal term of "attack." If someone were continuously attacking you without you knowing it, you would soon die.
Some things are continuously threatening us, most of us won't pass "soon".
Phrase like worst kind, is subjective or an unnamed game rule.
:)

MightyMicah
06-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Right you both are correct I am presenting an opinion here. We are getting off topic lol I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the matter, not their thoughts on how I should be wrong.

Sryyoulose
06-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Ah but you are wrong I kid!
And I wasn't saying mine was righ I was also puttin that up as another option :)

Suentous PO
06-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah, thems just some mad ramblings, your not wrong. I like thinking about abstractions from many different angles. Like how language shapes thought.

Sryyoulose
06-03-2012, 01:29 AM
I'll pretend I knew what you said.

MightyMicah
06-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Lol...ok I am terrible at communicating. I know what y'all are saying and stuff I wasn't feeling offended lol. I was just trying to clarify for future reference. And I definitely liked what y'all said. Very interesting indeed.

Flowman
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Actually, it may be deeper than you think. while I agree with your statement, mine is somewhat different. The reason why the attack is horrible is not because is it unknown. The factor that it is unknown simply worsens the case. For instance, if you were to take the literal term of "attack." If someone were continuously attacking you without you knowing it, you would soon die. Fear of the unknown did not kill you, nor did the fact that it was unknown to you kill you. The person attacking you killed you, but because you didn't know it, you couldn't stop it. THAT (caps for emphasis) is why it is the worst kind of attack.

I'm sorry but this makes zero sense =\
Unless you're in a coma, you're blind with no nerves, or you have extreme neurological disorders, you will know if you're being physically attacked in person.
You also contradicted yourself completely...

MightyMicah
06-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Perhaps I could explain otherwise. Suppose the attack is a personal attack such as gossip. This would be unknown to you but the idea of it being unknown does not have anything to do with the pain you feel when people begin disliking you due to rumors you've heard. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

No I didn't contradict myself. My idea was all hypothetical anyways. And please if you have nothing positive to add, don't add anything at all.

XghostzX
06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Perhaps I could explain otherwise. Suppose the attack is a personal attack such as gossip. This would be unknown to you but the idea of it being unknown does not have anything to do with the pain you feel when people begin disliking you due to rumors you've heard. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

No I didn't contradict myself. My idea was all hypothetical anyways. And please if you have nothing positive to add, don't add anything at all.

Ah, stole the words right out of my mouth.

Mighty, the worst kind of attack in my opinion is when the unknown is happening to you over time and one day it all comes together... it just keeps going and going. Then one day, boom, something hits you hard. Whether it's from friends who talk behind your back and decide to leave you as a friend, or knowing you suck on some soccer team and being kicked off right before a championship game. Of course, I'm not thinking of the most horrific things that can happen, I hate thinking negatively. Although, when it does come to different aspects in life such as cancer, you're 100% right about how the unknown can be the worst attack. You can't do anything about it.

Just my different views; I've always enjoyed thinking more abstract, but I'm not the brightest when it comes to it. Don't be hatin' on me. >.<

NECROREAPER
06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
In one of my favorite songs, one of the lines are:

"I got a problem but the problem's the solution"

It's a song about drinking

Flowman
06-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Nothing positive to add -.- It's a discussion. I showed where you didn't make sense. Seems like a positive contribution to me.
But now I'll show you where you contradicted yourself and how what you just said doesn't go with what you said previously.

Actually, it may be deeper than you think. while I agree with your statement, mine is somewhat different. The reason why the attack is horrible is not because is it unknown.
Fine.

The factor that it is unknown simply worsens the case. For instance, if you were to take the literal term of "attack." If someone were continuously attacking you without you knowing it, you would soon die.
I've never seen anyone directly die from verbal abuse, so you were referring to a physical attack. The original quote you used refers to either mental attacks or fear of the unknown. I've had to read your new definition of verbal attacks about 10 times and it's still confusing...but I guess you did warn me about the run-on :p. And yes, the idea of it being unknown is completely the reason why people feel pain. First you say you don't know about it...but then you say at the end that you've heard the rumors? This makes zero sense =\. Mental attacks in which the person doesn't know it's an attack refer to situations where someone is mocking you, patronizing you, or just plain making fun of you, but you're either too naive or too unaware to notice that they're doing it. Some people mistake this for joking around but it is in fact a mental attack when that person eventually figures it out and the weight of months if not years of abuse fall upon them all at once.

Fear of the unknown did not kill you, nor did the fact that it was unknown to you kill you. The person attacking you killed you, but because you didn't know it, you couldn't stop it. THAT (caps for emphasis) is why it is the worst kind of attack.

This part makes no sense. I already explained why. If someone is attacking you physically, you know it. First you say that not knowing something doesn't kill you...but then you say that because you didn't know, you couldn't stop it and you die...That's contradicting yourself. I don't think you understand what fear of the unknown is.

Here's two examples of fear of the unknown.

Situation 1 - You're at war. Everyday you're sitting in your hole you've dug trying to sleep, but you constantly stay awake thinking about "what if." What if the enemy fired a bomb at us and it's on it's way right now? What if the next morning I wake up and everyone around me is gone or dead? What if while we're driving our truck down the road, we hit an IED. Will I make it out of this war alive? This is fear of the unknown. Having no idea what will happen to you in an unfamiliar environment.

Situation 2 - You're a student about to graduate from college. You have no idea what you will do for a job. You are scared to graduate because college was a safe haven and you're about to be released out into the world with nothing but a degree and massive amounts of debt. This is fear of the unknown. Having no idea what you will do with your life because for once, it's not structured off in to time blocks.

Fear of the unknown oftens refers to people without strong religious beliefs who have no idea what happens after death and they fear dying because of it.

lilgangster
06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Not being able to do anything about it therefore its the worst kind, same as if u knew u were being "attacked" n u couldnt do anything about it, the feeling of complete helplessness (sry cant spell)