PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Else Had Enough of "Hats"?

Spiritualist
08-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I think we've had enough hats now. They are crap anyway and who needs that many "show" hats? I don't. Stop designing hats and give us new areas, new levels and new equipment - that's what we want.

Rant over.

Spiritualist out.

Cinco
08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I like the hats :)

- Cinco

Rnrking
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
oh man spirit i totally disagree i think the hats are rlly cool maybe a little to expensive but still cool. and besides the devs main focus is quests and maps and the hats are prolly just a side thing!

Gamelova
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I think we've had enough hats now. They are crap anyway and who needs that many "show" hats? I don't. Stop designing hats and give us new areas, new levels and new equipment - that's what we want.

Rant over.

Spiritualist out.

Agreed.

Gamelova Out.

Royce
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I love the hats, and I don't think they are getting in the way of other new content since I think Cinco pretty much does them himself. I mean look at what just happened. Hats were introduced and so were quests, new towns, overhauled interface, new types of dungeons, etc. It's not like the dev team hasn't given us anything but hats lately. Please correct me if I'm mistaken...

Furrawn
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I also love the hats...
I'm positive that they are easy & enjoyable to create for whoever is the creative artist (cinco?) who invents them...

It's a fun addition for some of us. If you don't like the hats, just don't buy any:) But don't worry that they slow down the devs developing... I'm sure the hats have no negative impact on developing whatsoever:p

Rnrking
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
ya i like the the customization the hats allow. they let u to distinguish yourself from everyone else

Snakespeare
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
NONSENSE!

The devs need to feed their kids. We get tons of stuff for free. If you don't want a hat, don't buy one, for cryin' out loud! What? Do you think they are doing this because they are rich and need to fill their time with doing free things for people.

This is whiny nonsense. Lord, they gave you an entire towne and more new quests FOR FREE and all you want to do is complain because they made some items for people who will actually pay them? I think that's ingratitude, and it's sheer nonsense.

Leave the devs alone.

Hats I don't mind, self-righteousness I could do without.

vulgarstrike
08-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I like the hats :)

- Cinco

hat designer ftw. I like the design, but I'd like that fourth slot for hats plea see!

Snakespeare
08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
p.s. If you want to do something interesting, try levelling a character the right way.

Chickdigcookies
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
i think they are overpriced...other then that, its a nice feature.

Cinco
08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Decker is the hat god; not me.

props,

Cinco

Royce
08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Decker is the hat god; not me.

props,

Cinco

Right Decker's the art guy, thanks for the clarification. BTW, does Decker happen to be a Shadowrun fan, or is the name a coincidence? Because some shadowrun-inspired gear would be wicked...

Donut
08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
i dont mind them cause hardly anyone wears them. i dont have the budget to go and spend any more money on this game. so i doubt ill ever get to wear a hat.

but yea hats dont bother me. i dont see them adding any value to the game if hardly anyone can afford to customize their character.

what bothers me more is all the changes that are being thrown with each patch update. buttons all being switched about..had me thrown all off balance.

jonboy
08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Haters be hating, hats ftw, if they are to much get a job or be quiet.

Flamin
08-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Ahhh!! I'm 13! Do YOU? expect ME? To get a JOB?.... lol

jonboy
08-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Been a while since I was 13 but I'm thinking it wouldn't be to many chores per week to rack up enough money to grab an iTunes card

KingFu
08-20-2010, 02:19 AM
I like the hats too Cinco. That's why I bought 10 of them, 2 being 20 platinum, and 4 being 10 platinum. I enjoy the hats, but my iTunes balance is zero and I have 11 plat (10 for new expansion) so I'm kinda done buying hats.....until tomorrow when I get another iTunes card ;)

Spiritualist
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Wow, I've never been shouted down so much in my life before. At least there are a couple of people out there that do agree with me.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there have now been three or four "updates" for hats and I still fail to see the point of hats and their appeal. Perhaps I don't like being too unique. :) But it is obviousl to me that when I'm in a room of players and they see that message "Server rebooting", there's an air of excitment with gossip of "oooh, hopefully a new area" or similar chatter and then after the reboot they see "hats", you should see some of the vulgarity and disappointment that pops out of their mouths. I've never yet heard anyone say "Brilliant - more hats for me to play with!". (Perhaps I'm just hanging around with the wrong crowd).

But please, I'm not suggesting that the developers don't give us good content, whether free or not, but how many of you would rather see an AO3-type area or more quests, compared to seeing a fifth, sixth and seventh incarnation of hats? I'm sure there is some personal enjoyment in hat creation for the developers and that's not to be forgotten or underestimated but what paying players like you and me want should influence some development direction. Perhaps it is - after all, 90+% of people commenting on this thread are "pro-hats".

Furrawn
08-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Lol, Spirit, "pro-hats" is adorable.
I just don't think the hats affect other work and updates. If anything, if the hats generate enough income, maybe they'll hire another dev and even more will get done:)

I love my Santa hat. I just do. 20P is crazy, but I love my hat w snowflakes spilling out:D

KingFu
08-20-2010, 02:33 AM
So? Before it was "OMG update! I bet it's secure trade!" 5 minutes later "Aw my warrior can't wall jump anymore! :(" it's always been like that. Enjoy the little things. Now think about it, think about how much effort the devs out into the game, then think about how long all that effort takes, now lastly, think how quickly we get bored with the weeks and weeks of work they out into the game. The only thing that keeps us entertained for long is new expansions, and huge, huge, surprises (like auction house) they need to keep us entertained somehow. Also, you have to rermeber, different devs do different things. I am not so sure about how they work, but decker (the hat maker) could be only making hats right now while other devs work on ao3, I am not sure of that at all, but you don't know what goes on down at the space-time studios headquarters.

Also, a lot of us want to see hats to give us something to look cool in, different people have different tastes, so if they bring top hats (example) into the game, and some people hate the top hats, they are gonna get people asking more more, different hats. I like the hats, as well as many other people, in the mean time, most peoples haven't finished Fathom quests, or exlored the new open world, let alone, you can always fall back on farming, pvp, trading, and the good old fashioned talking with friends.

jonboy
08-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Also you would see a lot more hats if you were doing the new quests with your mains, hats make the lower level quests more fun and entertaining, with your lvl 45.

Hell Violentsaint runs AO2:1 in his metal headphones, always :)

It just adds more to the game, more then likely increases $ income for the devs and takes nothing away from the development of future content.

You think STS just went "dang it hold all development while we all make hats". They might be just 6 people, but their 6 very experienced people with a long history in the industry, a can do attitude and a strong belief in their tech and IP

Sorry this turned into dev fanboi rant. :)

Flamin
08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
I like the hats too Cinco. That's why I bought 10 of them, 2 being 20 platinum, and 4 being 10 platinum.

There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't. lol

GaZz
08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Hats = Revenue
Hat Revenue > Campaign Revenue

This game is free. Remember that. STS have to make money somehow.... and keep coming with new ways to make money. If it was my team you can be sure that I'd have 60% resource on high revenue paid content creation and 40% on free / low revenue content creation.

Flamin
08-20-2010, 03:03 AM
I agree I like hats, keep 'em coming. Alas I can not ride my bike up to Walgreens at 2:50 AM to get an iTunes gift card.

KingFu
08-20-2010, 03:19 AM
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't. lol

Haha. I meant those were some of the prices!

Edit:

I agree I like hats, keep 'em coming. Alas I can not ride my bike up to Walgreens at 2:50 AM to get an iTunes gift card.

Dude I did that! But it was to pizza hut;) which is stupid now that I think about it because they deliver. Oh well!

Spiritualist
08-20-2010, 06:56 AM
If anything, if the hats generate enough income, maybe they'll hire another dev and even more will get done:)Which generates more income - money from hats or money that would be made from a new area?

And again I have no problems with paying for "things I like" (as with everyone), so it's not a question of complaining that the devs are charging for them.

But I'm obviously in the minority which is OK.

* whispers: Come on anti-hat people, share your "Grrrrs"... *

Snakespeare
08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
It still amazes me that someone who has been here maybe two weeks and is a level 45 already (and now a merchant with tons of pinks) is already bored with the new content. And so I repeat, if you want to try something interesting, try levelling a character the way the game was designed!

Yardsalez
08-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Hats are nice but wayyyy overpriced haha thats all i have to say and they keep making more and more and it takes away all our plat/money

Iambirdman
08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Fail thread "get rid of the hatin' yo!" hehe
I been here since the beginning and I have yet something to complain about the devs, be thankfull for a game like this on iPhone/iPad/iPod, otherwise you be sitting now playing tetris or something in that area lol

FluffNStuff
08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Right Decker's the art guy, thanks for the clarification. BTW, does Decker happen to be a Shadowrun fan, or is the name a coincidence? Because some shadowrun-inspired gear would be wicked...

artist Jason Decker

Royce
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
artist Jason Decker

Yeah, I though after posting that Decker was likely a real name, still it would be cool...

Snakespeare
08-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I loved how the NPCs in towne all had hats one day, and some are listening to headphones. A little anachronistic, but what the hey...

Royce
08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
and some are listening to headphones. A little anachronistic, but what the hey...

But they're the Fugees, so of course they wear headphones ;)

Spiritualist
08-20-2010, 01:21 PM
It still amazes me that someone who has been here maybe two weeks and is a level 45 already (and now a merchant with tons of pinks) is already bored with the new content. And so I repeat, if you want to try something interesting, try levelling a character the way the game was designed!Please explain to me how the game is "supposed to be played".

And I don't think I've ever said I'm bored with the new content or the game. I'm purely saying I don't like hats. If one agrees, then fine... if not, that's fine too. I'm not sure why that comment has to be turned into a personal attack on my character.

Justg
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I believe they may have been referring to starting a new character and leveling them up. Many of you were elders before any of the new content came online. Now the game guides you (through newbie dungeons and quests) through Level 23. If you have not tried it, we highly encourage it. Running L5 quests as a L45 player is one thing, but running them as a L5 fledgling archer is quite another!

And doing it all while wearing a cowboy hat is doing it with style :D

Spiritualist
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I never knew that... that was nicely explained and a much more welcome way to hear that information. I might just do that - although I do still have a lot to learn with my 45 - but that said, I certainly won't do it wearing a cowboy hat. Now if you had a Marge Simpson hair-hat, I might just consider it (did I just say that?!!!).

Boonce
08-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't mind the resources on developing hats but I do have a couple of suggestions:

* Group new hats with other updates. I get excited by updates and am let down when its just hats!
* Add functionality to use a hat sprite but with the stats of the current gear being worn.
* Keep them a low priority

Personally I love the hats; but my vanity isn't enough to sacrifice all those powerful stats!

Royce
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
* Add functionality to use a hat sprite but with the stats of the current gear being worn.
Personally I love the hats; but my vanity isn't enough to sacrifice all those powerful stats!
That's coming.

Hat hiding will be in 1.4, and we may have time to get the vanity helm override working (so you can see your vanity hat, but have the stats of your helm).

Snakespeare
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Spiritualist, I guess I came off as rather harsh. Let me try to say it in a nicer tone.

You got to level 45 so fast and you have so many pinks and you are already loaded with gold that you will never use, but, you are bored with the game and you want AO3. Also, you got to level 45 with the help of others. You now want to know who is asking to be your friend so they won't ask you for help.

Well, I am not attacking your character. I am merely pointing this out. If you don't see how that may appear to someone like me, who has several characters playing through ALL the campaigns, then I am giving you a chance to look from my eyes.

I recommend that you find new pleasure in this game by starting a new character and play this character through the quests and then save him for the next quests when they come out.

Sometimes level 45s join me and I hope they have fun, but I don't play above my level, and that is what I mean by "the way it was meant to be played". I believe this is more fun, and I believe that people who get their first character power-levelled are bored easily simply because they didn't have to work for their accomplishments. Believe me, the fish you catch tastes better than the fish you buy.

I hope that is put more nicely, and please forgive me for sounding harsh. I was typing between jobs at work and did not stop to conside how it might sound.

Spiritualist
08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Spiritualist, I guess I came off as rather harsh. Let me try to say it in a nicer tone.

You got to level 45 so fast and you have so many pinks and you are already loaded with gold that you will never use, but, you are bored with the game and you want AO3. Also, you got to level 45 with the help of others. You now want to know who is asking to be your friend so they won't ask you for help.

Well, I am not attacking your character. I am merely pointing this out. If you don't see how that may appear to someone like me, who has several characters playing through ALL the campaigns, then I am giving you a chance to look from my eyes.

I recommend that you find new pleasure in this game by starting a new character and play this character through the quests and then save him for the next quests when they come out.

Sometimes level 45s join me and I hope they have fun, but I don't play above my level, and that is what I mean by "the way it was meant to be played". I believe this is more fun, and I believe that people who get their first character power-levelled are bored easily simply because they didn't have to work for their accomplishments. Believe me, the fish you catch tastes better than the fish you buy.

I hope that is put more nicely, and please forgive me for sounding harsh. I was typing between jobs at work and did not stop to conside how it might sound.Thank you for your comments, it's nice to read and I appreciate your discussion and manner. But I will correct you on a couple of things, and hopefully you will take this in the positive manner in which it's meant.

I certainly don't have loads of money. I don't know where you get the idea that I have more money than I know what to do with. I'll tell you, I only have 190k. I'm trying to save up for a Djinn Wand, Voodoo Doll and Galxyz which I think will cost me around 1,000,000 gold in total. So trust me, I have a small collection of pinks that no one wants to buy and if I did, they are worth 5k from what I've seen (no one to date has commented on my "Price Check" thread).

I do read your comments but they are not correct, at least how I would explain them. Yes perhaps I did get to 45 quickly, but I did play a lot, I think. Yes I did get a lot of help from a couple of 45s when I was around lvl 35+ but getting from lvl 1 to 30-odd was done mainly by grouping with like levels. I don't consider that I was power levelled - I certainly don't recall any 45s running around with me when I was a newbie, getting me loads of levels. And remember, quests weren't around when I levelled so there is a difference to how some play now.

And you are wrong when you say I won't help people - I will do. I do. I guess you might be refering to the "add level to Pending request" thread but again let me be clear on that. If you are a lvl 45 hanging around Town, you get bombarded with friends requests from everyone. I have lvl 1s saying "I want money", "Give me your spare stuff free", etc. as I'm sure many people get. To date I friend everyone but if that's all that people want, that can often be inferred by their level. In other words, I look at it and say if someone is lvl 13 or above, they have a commitment to the game and I will blindly add them as a friend if I receive a request, whether I know them or not. For levels 13 or less, I'd like to get to know them first to understand their motives and dedication. After all, would you want to help people, give them stuff or whatever if they are likely to only play for a few hours or days? I'd rather pass on some knowledge and help to those that may in turn help others when they are non-newbies. "You now want to know who is asking to be your friend so they won't ask you for help" is just wrong and misinformed; I never said that, or at least it was never the intent. That's all...

Yes I would like AO3, as I'm sure many others would, but I'm not bored... I love the game and will continue to play. And pay for content that I like.

I had noticed that you have several characters, none of which are maxed out. And I'm suprised about that... I would imagine that most players would go as far as they can before starting a new one... no? But I will take on your task and start a new character, if nothing else than to prove you wrong about me and my motives. ;) But rest assured, Spiritualist will still be around as he has lots to learn, lots to earn and lots to buy.

Anyway... so what hat would you like the devs to make next for you?

King Kamehameha
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Cinco have you ever thought of a fez lol fezes are cool doctor who refrence ftw XD still I agree with him make fezes I'll buy

Machinima
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Love the hats and I hope the one me and my team designed gets into game. But the prices for hats are rediculous.

jonboy
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Love the hats and I hope the one me and my team designed gets into game. But the prices for hats are rediculous.

Nice design, check with the devs if you can submit a group design as one of the rules is:

IMPORTANT NOTE! To enter, the submission MUST be your own design and art!

Snakespeare
08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Fair enough, spiritualist. I don't really know you, and I am glad you set me straight. But I hope yup will do it because assomers explained it so clearly, rather than to prove me wrong about your motives. I don't know your motives, so there would nothing to disprove. But I can tell you that I made a new character for quests and I read each story board completely. The story is fun! And it is funny, too, sometimes. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Be sure to add me so I can power level ya... J/k

No seriously, I would like to be friends. I just have this knee jerk reaction when people don't seem to appreciate all the cool stuff we are getting practically for free, and one or two things that will help them pay their bills is such a small price.

I was hoping the derby I got in a treasure drop would someday look like a derby, otherwise, I got a sombrero and I will get some headphones eventually.

Snakes

Spiritualist
08-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks Snakespeare, I'll certainly do that... and I'm sure our paths will cross in-game, if not in the forums. :)

Spiritualist
08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I wonder whether there will be theme hats, like ones for Halloween, Thanks Giving, Christmas and the like...

Gamelova
08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I wonder whether there will be theme hats, like ones for Halloween, Thanks Giving, Christmas and the like...

Well they already kinda have a christmasy hat, the holiday hat one which cost 20 plat

Snakespeare
08-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I am looking forward to the return of face paint.

Royce
08-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I am looking forward to the return of face paint.

Yup, I keep going to put on my ursan warlord armor, only to remember it's just plain black armor now :(

flaimdude
08-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I <3 hats. :) Headphones ftw.

Nouda
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
santa hat ftmfw

keep the hats coming

Kurlz
08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I had noticed that you have several characters, none of which are maxed out. And I'm suprised about that... I would imagine that most players would go as far as they can before starting a new one... no?

actually, i did the same thing snakes did, i have three charachters at the moment, a lvl 30ish ursan, a lvl 29 elf, and a lvl 12 avian, i made one of each type so that i could figure out which one i like the best...i still havent figured that out...lol

and as for your desire for the devs to add lvl to pending requests, i completely agree...i keep having lvl 1-5s add me just to pm me about giving them gold or weapons...i delete them. i have like 10k on all my chars, combined...potions cost too much for me since i use around 100 a day in health and mana...well...i lost track of what i was tryin to say, so im out...