PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bible verse?

MightyMicah
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Since it is Sunday I thought it might be fitting to share my favorite Bible verse which is 1 Timothy 4:12, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young but set an example for the believers in Speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."

Anyone else have a favorite Bible verse?
~MM

Paar
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Deleted

Fao
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I agree Paar! Its sad, but before it does if it does, i dont know the words really but it is a great verse! Ecclesiastes 11:9

MightyMicah
06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Are y'all sure? I'm not up on the rules but I assumed since it is Sunday they wouldn't mind a little bible verse thing...oh well...

Silentarrow
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Are y'all sure? I'm not up on the rules but I assumed since it is Sunday they wouldn't mind a little bible verse thing...oh well...

I suggest keep sharing! I don't think this is against the rules...

Lowlyspy
06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Not a rule but still highly offensive to some people. Ya'll do whatever you think is appropriate.

Flowman
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Ya this shouldn't be against the rules...I just checked and didn't see anything. Nothing wrong with posting favorite quotes from the bible, it's not like it goes and insults anyone. People are free to choose their own religion. Let the mods handle what belongs on the forums, Paar.

Psalm 91...sure it's a chapter, but whatever :p

zeusabe
06-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Wow! disrespect. I'm baffled why several of you think this thread can be offensive. It's one thing to argue about religion and impose our beliefs, and another thing to simply discuss it. This thread is not in any way provoking a debate on religion, it's simply a thread on Bible Verses. If you are offended by a group of people talking about their religion then you have a problem, and you're the one offending them by imposing religious censorship in a topic that clearly does not involve overlapping views versus other religions. If we start talking about the issue on gay marriage, politics, abortions, divorce, etc. from point of view of Christians, then that demands censorship, but this one is clearly not the case. Your statements imply that there are people that will actually admonish the the Bible itself or mere discussion of it. We're not imposing our religion, don't limit us, if anyone should attack this thread or Christianity itself, I'll make sure people here and outside of this forum will see it. Bring it.

wvhills
06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
For God so loved the world that have gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

xxxsabrinaxxx
06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Well, it's not a "verse" but it's a psalm. Psalm 23 ^^

Esoul
06-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about
tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry
about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own.

Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs
34:14)

Paar
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, I read over the rules and didn't see anything. So my favorite verse is Matthew 24:35 :)

saool
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm one to easily get offended by anything religious...but this, well...you're just asking for a favorite verse so I guess you're not offending...kinda...

Samhayne
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone,

You can check out the forum rules from the red link at the top of the forums, or just click here to read through them: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=vsarules

The Off-Topic forums are the place for post about topics not relating to Spacetime Games, so this thread is in the right area.

I think the confusion about what is allowed and what isn't stems from past posts that have been "disruptive" and been closed due to the disruption or the non-constructive nature of the post that were religious in nature. You know, stuff that is inflammatory. That's not to say that all religious discussion isn't allowed, just that it is a topic that tends to be volatile, along with other more controversial topics (like say, talking about abortion or politics).

So, no worries. Please post what you like and feel are within the real of our forum rules. If people see stuff they feel is in violation of the rules, they can hit the "report post" button to notify our moderation team and we'll sort it out.

Walkhardd
06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize theres nothin left
cuz I've been blastin and laughin so long that even my momma thinks my mind is gone...

Coolio 13:37

StompArtist
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
2 Kings 2:23-24
New International Version (NIV)
Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

FluffNStuff
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Leviticus 20:24

24 But I said to you, “You will possess their land; I will give it to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and hunny.” I am the Lord your God, who has set you apart from the nations.

Whirlzap
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Like Sam said, it's like a volcano or a time bomb.

If it's all peaceful and quiet and not going to be ker-plooFUUUUUUUUUUUU all over you, it's fine.
If it does explode, then it will be locked.
Although I don't know what I'm thinking comparing a massive item of massive havoc and destruction to a few megabytes in a thread.

Sigh.

Anyways,

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Cahaun
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
For God so loved the world that have gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That is a verse I can't forget. I love it!

PL_Keaton96
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't really like what Walkhardd said, making fun of the Bible but. Ephesians 4:31

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:"

StompArtist
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I am quite sure the Almighty can take a little humor here and there. ;)

Piosidon
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Romans 3:23
For all have fall short of the glory of god

Walkhardd
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't really like what Walkhardd said, making fun of the Bible but. Ephesians 4:31

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:"

I dont really like that you don't really like what I said, bro.

Ps. Lighten up mr sensitive

JaytB
06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
My, let's say... 'most memorable' bible quote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJGjEKC1GI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Flowman
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
My, let's say... 'most memorable' bible quote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJGjEKC1GI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If only it was a real quote :( Awesome passage.

Snakespeare
06-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Matthew 5:3–10
also known as The Beatitudes

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

plmafiaboss
06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
cuz I've been blastin and laughin so long that even my momma thinks my mind is gone...

Coolio 13:37amen

Xionskull
06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Psalm 119:9...

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.

Petrichor
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
A Few of my favourites.

1 Corinthians 13:4
Psalm 139:13-16
Isaiah 54:10
Philippians 4:13
Philippians 2:13
Isaiah 55:1-2
Ephesians 2:10
John 12:20-26
Matthew 14:13-21
Luke 10:38-42
John 4:1-26
Jeremiah 32:17-22
1 Peter 5:5
Hebrews 10:23-24
Galatians 3:10-13, 21-24
Acts 15:7-11
Proverbs 16:9
Philippians 3:8-11
Luke 18:27
John 3:16 & John 3:34
Mat.11:28-30
II Corinthians 12:9
Psalm 91:15
Proverbs 3:5-6
Philippians 4:13
II Corinthians 9:8
Roman 8:2
I John 1:9
Romans 8:1
Philippians 4:19
II Timothy 1:7
I Peter 5:7
Romans 12:3
I Corinthians 1:30
Hebrews 13:5

Yay! I don't know my favorite but i have so many bookmarked...

CodyBearr
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Coolio 13:37

The only bible verse I know ;-)
+1

StompArtist
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
+1

Of course Coolio in his small lifespan outshines thousands of years of wisdom...

MightyMicah
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Come on guys keep it chill. I can take a joke and even some criticism...ahem fairy tail ahem. Let's don't get this thread locked. I'm enjoying reading everyone's favorite verses :)

CodyBearr
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
They edited it out anyways.... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not trying to give anyone advice on the way they should live their lives & I don't want any advice on mine & how I think...

Phoenixking
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
They edited it out anyways.... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not trying to give anyone advice on the way they should live their lives & I don't want any advice on mine & how I think...
Doesn't mean you had to go to this thread and say your opinion though, since it doesnt go with the thread topic.

Delphina
06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Ok guys... Lets keep this on topic

Paladinslaya
06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I COMPLETELY agree with Micah! I am a Christian and always will be! I want to let STS know that you can ban me or whatever cuz im talking about God and religious belifes but im going to Heaven when I die!!!

plmafiaboss
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
+1

Of course Coolio in his small lifespan outshines thousands of years of wisdom...ofc :p

undertheradar
06-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you."

geray776
06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Ok wat u need to know to get to heaven
1. U must know u r a sinner
2. U must know that because of that sin u deserve to die and go to hell
3. But God sent his only son Jesus to die on the cross for us so we dnt hav to pay the price for sin.
4. All u need to do is to put ur trust in him and only him to take u to heaven u must accept the payment he payed on the cross
If u want to accept him pray this from ur heart
Dear Jesus I KNIW I'm a sinner and I know that because of that sin I deserve to die and go to hell but dear Jesus u died on the cross for me u payed the penalty for sin so I can go to heaven when I die so right here and right now I'm putting my trust in u and only u to take me to heaven when I die amen
Btw once u saved u saved forever u can't lose it it's everlasting life that means forever no matter WAT u do and If u think just cause u good u going to heaven u wrong wat would be the pointof Jesus dyin for our sin if we had to be good that would mean we got ourselves to heaven and Jesus dying would be pointless so it dnt matter how good u are feel free to ask any questions

geray776
06-24-2012, 11:10 PM
for god so loved the world that have gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

nice kjv version:)

heypeo
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I COMPLETELY agree with Micah! I am a Christian and always will be! I want to let STS know that you can ban me or whatever cuz im talking about God and religious belifes but im going to Heaven when I die!!!
I believe in God as much as the next guy in fact every Sunday I'm down at mass. But if u truly believe in God you don't have to go around screaming it specially in a game forum. Although this topic is a nice idea and ill find the Bible somewhere that I found the version I really liked.

Rauekat
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

RedRyder
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
The one Samuel L. Jackson recites in pulp fiction;

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike
down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

Walkhardd
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
The one Samuel L. Jackson recites in pulp fiction;

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike
down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!

So sick. Haha.

Swords
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
John 3:16 most common verse

LADYHADASSA
06-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Noodleleg
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Matthew 6: 16-18

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

So guys... Don't act all religious and brag. If you're Christian, cool. Keep it to yourself.

Windwaiker
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

Petrichor
06-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Oh I found another I love.

34*Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

geray776
06-30-2012, 08:13 AM
So guys... Don't act all religious and brag. If you're Christian, cool. Keep it to yourself.[/QUOTE]

HEY man noisier u said keep religion to yourself well the bible says when Jesus rose from the grave GO AND PREACH

geray776
06-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Matthew 6: 16-18

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

So guys... Don't act all religious and brag. If you're Christian, cool. Keep it to yourself.

Btw man u took that verse out of context the verse is not talking about telling others about God it's talking about how u should fast in private and in case u dnt know wat fasting even is it's when u dnt eat for how ever long your fasting and spend time with God for a certain problem or issues or needs or watever U want to fast about. but the verse is talking bout fasting and that completely different then going and telling the world about Jesus Christ and how he died for us and like I said be4 the Bible says GO AND PREACH those r Jesus's words man so u are telling us to disobey God if u say keep religion to yourself man and knowin if tour going to heaven when u die is the most important thing and read wat I wrote on the bottom of page 2 if u want to know how to get to heaven and I will tell others about Jesus till the day I die btw this country was founded based on freedom for religion

Cahaun
06-30-2012, 05:44 PM
@Geray776
Noodle isn't telling us not to go and and preach. When he said "Keep it to ourselves" means to not be full of pride and to not boast of how religious we are as the hypocrites in the verse try to. They try make their faces raggid in an attempt to get other's attention while the humble ones just do as they are told and keep it to themselves.

MightyMicah
07-01-2012, 12:48 AM
@geray yeah Cahauns right. I noticed it just like you did but didn't say anything cause I knew what he meant. He just means don't be all in everyone's face and don't act all righteous.

Anyways try and keep this on topic! Lol

Jblazer
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I am a christian myself and my favorite would be Romans 1:16 I am unashamed of the gospel.
HEy its one small verse one BIG meaning

Noodleleg
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Btw man u took that verse out of context the verse is not talking about telling others about God it's talking about how u should fast in private and in case u dnt know wat fasting even is it's when u dnt eat for how ever long your fasting and spend time with God for a certain problem or issues or needs or watever U want to fast about. but the verse is talking bout fasting and that completely different then going and telling the world about Jesus Christ and how he died for us and like I said be4 the Bible says GO AND PREACH those r Jesus's words man so u are telling us to disobey God if u say keep religion to yourself man and knowin if tour going to heaven when u die is the most important thing and read wat I wrote on the bottom of page 2 if u want to know how to get to heaven and I will tell others about Jesus till the day I die btw this country was founded based on freedom for religion

You need to look at it in a different vantage point... Just because it's a Lenten verse, doesn't mean it can't apply to daily life... Like parables, you have to think outside of the box.

geray776
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
All right just making sure lol cause some do take that out of context and say to keep religion to yourself but even if somebody wants to Act all religious that's a great thing there should be more of us who should stand up for God like slmebodys doin something wrong we oughta tell them that's wrong u shouldn't di that I mean think about God created us I mean he made us out of nothing he didn't have too but he did cause he loved us HE MADE US HE'S OUR CREATER I mean to me it makes no sense y everybody is not religious I mean theres nothing greater than serving God trust me i know from experience when u serve God u will hav happiness I mean what greater joy can u find than serving the one who made us I mean I just dnt understand how people can reject him I mean of u dnt accept Jesus as your Lord and savior u will go to hell straight up and most people dnt want to accept him and I just dnt get why people wouldnt want to except the one who created them I mean is it cause there afraid of wat there friends would think who gives I mean really we ought to all wanna stand out for Jesus And idc how people think of me lol I doing Gods work If acting all religious is gonna help I'll do it lol

Sryyoulose
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
John 3:17 (The one right after 16 that is usually over looked) or psalm 16 both have really stood out to me.

Dragonrider023
07-01-2012, 10:37 PM
did u know that Im named after elisha.

Cloakker
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
"Yes, be bold and strong! Banish fear and doubt! For remember, the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

geray776
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I like that one cloak but this is the king James version of the verse : Joshua 1:9
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Btw in case u guys r wondering the King James Version of the Bible is actually the first English translation right from the Hebrew and the other bibles like niv nkjv and many others are not inspired by God cause man is changing the words of the bible and making the words more "simple"" it's a shames but If u hav any questions I'll be glad to answer and another thing I dnt get y some say the new king James if better than the king James version and ""it's the right bible when they even put the NEW King James obviously it's a copy and changed up version of the Kjv which Is ashame people believe the lies of this world

Noodleleg
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
@Geray...

Through 3 or so posts... I have not understood at least half of what you have said...

StompArtist
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
@Geray...

Through 3 or so posts... I have not understood at least half of what you have said...

I think he is debating with himself which Bible has the more accurate Godliness.

captaintuttle
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I like that one cloak but this is the king James version of the verse : Joshua 1:9
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Btw in case u guys r wondering the King James Version of the Bible is actually the first English translation right from the Hebrew and the other bibles like niv nkjv and many others are not inspired by God cause man is changing the words of the bible and making the words more "simple"" it's a shames but If u hav any questions I'll be glad to answer and another thing I dnt get y some say the new king James if better than the king James version and ""it's the right bible when they even put the NEW King James obviously it's a copy and changed up version of the Kjv which Is ashame people believe the lies of this world

(Yes, before I even say it, this is a JOKE - and not a slam on anyone's faith, or the notion of faith, or the bible, or any other type of religious text, or the people who read them, or about the validity of them, or anything else!! Just wanted to put that out before I troll on a bible thread! Fairness-in-Trolling Act, ya know)

I prefer Ed's Really-New Revised Standard New World Modern Edition

Noodleleg
07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I think he is debating with himself which Bible has the more accurate Godliness.

With whom? Himself... 'Nuff said...

morfic
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any higher spiritual presence. However, I do think the bible could make a killer action packed major motion picture. If they just replaced "god" with a vengeful evil tyrant, it'd be win. Below are some ruthless quotes consisting of killing babies, condoning slavery, condoning rape, etc. I am sure there are some caveat's to these quotes, as people will point out. And I am sure that some people will come to the bible's defense on these quotes, but I just want to clarify, that I just thought these quotes were pretty awesome/crazy to come out of the bible and I mean no disrespect to any of you. Enjoy!

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock," (Psalms 137:9)

If you refuse to obey all the terms of this law that are written in this book, and if you do not fear the glorious and awesome name of the LORD your God, then the LORD will overwhelm both you and your children with indescribable plagues. These plagues will be intense and without relief, making you miserable and unbearably sick. He will bring against you all the diseases of Egypt that you feared so much, and they will claim you. The LORD will bring against you every sickness and plague there is, even those not mentioned in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. Though you are as numerous as the stars in the sky, few of you will be left because you would not listen to the LORD your God. "Just as the LORD has found great pleasure in helping you to prosper and multiply, the LORD will find pleasure in destroying you, until you disappear from the land you are about to enter and occupy. For the LORD will scatter you among all the nations from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship foreign gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods made of wood and stone! There among those nations you will find no place of security and rest. And the LORD will cause your heart to tremble, your eyesight to fail, and your soul to despair. Your lives will hang in doubt. You will live night and day in fear, with no reason to believe that you will see the morning light. In the morning you will say, 'If only it were night!' And in the evening you will say, 'If only it were morning!' You will say this because of your terror at the awesome horrors you see around you. Then the LORD will send you back to Egypt in ships, a journey I promised you would never again make. There you will offer to sell yourselves to your enemies as slaves, but no one will want to buy you. (Deuteronomy 28:58-68 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Wives, be subordinate to your husbands, as is proper in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18 NAB)

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord. (Colossians 3:22 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

StompArtist
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I am not a christian, nor do I believe in any higher spiritual presence. However, I do think the bible could make a killer action packed major motion picture. If they just replaced "god" with a vengeful evil tyrant, it'd be win. Below are some ruthless quotes consisting of killing babies, condoning slavery, condoning rape, etc. I am sure there are some caveat's to these quotes, as people will point out. And I am sure that some people will come to the bible's defense on these quotes, but I just want to clarify, that I just thought these quotes were pretty awesome/crazy to come out of the bible and I mean no disrespect to any of you. Enjoy!

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock," (Psalms 137:9)

If you refuse to obey all the terms of this law that are written in this book, and if you do not fear the glorious and awesome name of the LORD your God, then the LORD will overwhelm both you and your children with indescribable plagues. These plagues will be intense and without relief, making you miserable and unbearably sick. He will bring against you all the diseases of Egypt that you feared so much, and they will claim you. The LORD will bring against you every sickness and plague there is, even those not mentioned in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. Though you are as numerous as the stars in the sky, few of you will be left because you would not listen to the LORD your God. "Just as the LORD has found great pleasure in helping you to prosper and multiply, the LORD will find pleasure in destroying you, until you disappear from the land you are about to enter and occupy. For the LORD will scatter you among all the nations from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship foreign gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods made of wood and stone! There among those nations you will find no place of security and rest. And the LORD will cause your heart to tremble, your eyesight to fail, and your soul to despair. Your lives will hang in doubt. You will live night and day in fear, with no reason to believe that you will see the morning light. In the morning you will say, 'If only it were night!' And in the evening you will say, 'If only it were morning!' You will say this because of your terror at the awesome horrors you see around you. Then the LORD will send you back to Egypt in ships, a journey I promised you would never again make. There you will offer to sell yourselves to your enemies as slaves, but no one will want to buy you. (Deuteronomy 28:58-68 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Wives, be subordinate to your husbands, as is proper in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18 NAB)

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord. (Colossians 3:22 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

The oracle senses a sharp note in thy future.

Noodleleg
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Thisis EXACTLY what I was talking about...

geray776
07-03-2012, 08:20 AM
@Geray...

Stomp artist im not debating which bible is accurate I'm saying the kjv is accurate and each post I put is about something different lol

geray776
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Btw y would u prefer all these other translations Luke niv or nkjv or etc when kjv is the first English translation y would u look at one that's a copy from it with a few changed words

geray776
07-03-2012, 08:27 AM
O one of the post I put was basically y don't alot of people wanna serve God when he is our creator I mean y wouldn't anybody wanna serve the one who made them

StompArtist
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Btw y would u prefer all these other translations Luke niv or nkjv or etc when kjv is the first English translation y would u look at one that's a copy from it with a few changed words

Not trying to be funny but all those English versions seem to be translations upon translations (as per image below), so does it really matter which you use?

Go here for historical, I am having trouble pasting the picture for some Interweb conspiracy related reason: http://www.gentles.info/BibleHistory/Index_History.html

LADYHADASSA
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
The idea of this post was to either post ones fav verse or not, the reason it was not locked was because this thread is not one of debate, each person has a choice if they have a fav verse post it, if not well do not...

This thread was not made to invoke flaming, or for a debate, a debate such as this is one that will cause discord, here or anyplace else.

If people read things in a thread they do not care for, do not respond and move on. Selective speaking keeps the peace. People do NOT alwayse have to argue.. Just saying......

Snakespeare
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I would also be interested to read people's favorite quotes from the religious texts of other cultures.

To those who would toss out the Bible on the grounds that it is a human creation I would say, what else will you throw away on these grounds? Just because you realize that there aren't really any elves or orcs, do you throw away Tolkien? Of course we are not children caught in the wonder of fairyland! However, we should never stop feeling wonder.

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will miss the point.

Of course the texts from ancient times are filled with discussions of the fair way to treat slaves. If slavery exists, there must be a code of behavior, or else the social manners decay to the point of disrespect and dissolution. I'm glad that my online friends' favorite verses are about slavery. These things should never be forgotten, or allowed to occur again. But my favorite verse is still the Beatitudes.

And I have many favorite verses from the Tao Te Ching, the Bhagavad Gita, the teachings of Baha'ulah, even the Words of the High One (said to have been spoken by Odin as he too was crucified). Just because Odin is a mythological figure, that doesn't negate the value of the Eddas.

captaintuttle
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I would also be interested to read people's favorite quotes from the religious texts of other cultures.

To those who would toss out the Bible on the grounds that it is a human creation I would say, what else will you throw away on these grounds? Just because you realize that there aren't really any elves or orcs, do you throw away Tolkien? Of course we are not children caught in the wonder of fairyland! However, we should never stop feeling wonder.

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will do the very thing it is teaching.

Of course the texts from ancient times are filled with discussions of the fair way to treat slaves. If slavery exists, there must be a code of behavior, or else the social manners decay to the point of disrespect and dissolution. I'm glad that my online friends' favorite verses are about slavery. These things should never be forgotten, or allowed to occur again. But my favorite verse is still the Beatitudes.

And I have many favorite verses from the Tao Te Ching, the Bhagavad Gita, the teachings of Baha'ulah, even the Words of the High One (said to have been spoken by Odin as he too was crucified). Just because Odin is a mythological figure, that doesn't negate the value of the Eddas.

This is why I love Snakespeare!! NIIIIIIICE! :)

Phoenixking
07-03-2012, 09:59 AM

That reminds me wasn't there one about not eating meat and dairy products at the same time? Like a hamburger?

Noodleleg
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Meh... But to be honest... My favorite book has to be the book of Judges... It has so many great stories there ^_^!

Cloakker
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, mines paraphrased, just the way I like it:D everyone has there own taste in the bible but what matters is its the word of God. Thats what counts.

StompArtist
07-03-2012, 07:21 PM

My culture is not that different from other cultures. We have a central heroic figure. This figure sacrifices himself in an allegory that is meant to be internalized, not externalized. Internally, each of us must sacrifice ourselves every day, for our families or spouses or friends or the community as a whole. We must slay our egos. And as long as we fight the simpler folks who treat it as some guarantee of after death reward for all their sacrifices, we will miss the point.

Orcs are not real? Prove it! :-P

Samhayne
07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
The idea of this post was to either post ones fav verse or not, the reason it was not locked was because this thread is not one of debate, each person has a choice if they have a fav verse post it, if not well do not...

This thread was not made to invoke flaming, or for a debate, a debate such as this is one that will cause discord, here or anyplace else.

If people read things in a thread they do not care for, do not respond and move on. Selective speaking keeps the peace. People do NOT alwayse have to argue.. Just saying......

Exactly, please stay on topic. If you want to post, post your favorite verse. Please leave out the commentary. Thanks!

MightyMicah
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Thank you Samhayne!

Dear everybody else,

I was not looking for a debate. I love debating the Bible and honestly I've heard every argument against it out there. I'm not here to debate the Bible. I'm here because I wanted people to post their favorite verses so that I could read them each day. If you're looking for a debate, pm me or something. (I promise I'll crush you ;) ) If you're not, then please, please, please, get off my thread. You have no business getting this thread locked.

Thank you
~MM

Livemau
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
and then god said
"let there be livemau"

Griffinfan
07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"

Worship
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I am Athiest

Livemau
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I am Athiest

me 2 but it doesnt mean the bible has bad teachings i dont believe in a god but the bible is still very inspirational to me

Worship
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
me 2 but it doesnt mean the bible has bad teachings i dont believe in a god but the bible is still very inspirational to me
I see.. I have never read the bible before, not 1 verse or chapter or whatever. But the way I see it: Nothing will change if religion is here or not. I'm pretty sure religion didn't get us into this technological era, churches still use candles and stained glass :D We would live the same way as we are now if religion was here or not.
I'd appreciate it if nobody argues with this, because I am not going to care at ALL about what you say. I respect you, but I don't Worship you :wink:

StompArtist
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I see.. I have never read the bible before, not 1 verse or chapter or whatever. But the way I see it: Nothing will change if religion is here or not. I'm pretty sure religion didn't get us into this technological era, churches still use candles and stained glass :D We would live the same way as we are now if religion was here or not.
I'd appreciate it if nobody argues with this, because I am not going to care at ALL about what you say. I respect you, but I don't Worship you :wink:

And the ironic name trophy goes to...

Jblazer
07-08-2012, 06:00 PM

lol

Noodleleg
07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Just to keep up the conversation... Did you know in genesis... During the time of creation... Things got more elaborate after each day! So that means women are more elaborate than men! I'm a dude... This offended me at first lol!

captaintuttle
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
*hands Noodleleg a rib bone* Here ya go, bud. Don't sweat it! ;)

morfic
07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I like the part where men were made in god's image, and women were made in man's image.

True Christian girlfriends are the best. I'm not talking about these progressive baptists, or what have you. But the diehard christians. A woman who knows she was created for man and is completely subservient. God bless Christian women. And remember.. NEVER cut your hair women. That's about as crazy as uncovering your head in church. Only men should have their heads uncovered, since it is the face of god.

Worship
07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Haha right on! So many people asked me if I was Christian xD

Worship
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I like the part where men were made in god's image, and women were made in man's image.

True Christian girlfriends are the best. I'm not talking about these progressive baptists, or what have you. But the diehard christians. A woman who knows she was created for man and is completely subservient. God bless Christian women. And remember.. NEVER cut your hair women. That's about as crazy as uncovering your head in church. Only men should have their heads uncovered, since it is the face of god.

Have you checked out ChristianMingle.com?? xD

captaintuttle
07-09-2012, 01:06 PM
lol.... Morf - you're so amazed this thread wasn't locked yet you're trying to bring about its demise yourself?

You're one of those "end of days"-ists, aren't ya?!? :smiley_simmons:

Jblazer
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Have you checked out ChristianMingle.com?? xD
Lol...Christian Mingle....

MightyMicah
07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna quote star wars here. "stay on target." In other words, stop getting off topic!

Buffedbear Pl
07-09-2012, 08:56 PM
"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." -Psalms 118:24

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Cor 13:4-13

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." -Ephesians 6:10-18

My favorites of all time.

StompArtist
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Someone send Sinead O'Connor a sharp note!

Snakespeare
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Song of Songs 6:1-11

1 Whither is thy beloved gone,
O thou fairest among women?
Whither is thy beloved turned aside?
that we may seek him with thee.

2 My beloved is gone down into his garden,
to the beds of spices,
to feed in the gardens,
and to gather lilies.

3 I am my beloved's,
and my beloved is mine:
he feedeth among the lilies.

4 Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah,
comely as Jerusalem,
terrible as an army with banners.

5 Turn away thine eyes from me,
for they have overcome me:
thy hair is as a flock of goats
that appear from Gil'e-ad:

6 thy teeth are as a flock of sheep
which go up from the washing,
whereof every one beareth twins,
and there is not one barren among them.

7 As a piece of a pomegranate
are thy temples within thy locks.

8 There are threescore queens,
and fourscore concubines,
and virgins without number.

9 My dove, my undefiled is but one;
she is the only one of her mother,
she is the choice one of her that bare her.
The daughters saw her, and blessed her;
yea, the queens and the concubines,
and they praised her.

10 Who is she that looketh forth as the morning,
fair as the moon, clear as the sun,
and terrible as an army with banners?

11 I went down into the garden of nuts
to see the fruits of the valley,
and to see whether the vine flourished,
and the pomegranates budded.

captaintuttle
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Hmmm... I didn't realize the King James Version had "Charity" in place of "Love" (NIV). Interesting. Anyway - it was mentioned only by reference, and to "stay on target", I'll share my favorite. (No brainer for me)

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

FluffNStuff
07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
My favorite is the one that specificly prohibits polygamy:

Matthew 6:24
24 “No one can serve two masters."

geray776
07-16-2012, 02:32 PM
If u dnt believe in a spiritual presence how u think we got here how we hav the minds that that are able to think and process the way they do the atmosphere how would some big bang know we need it to breath all these other things hmmmm?

geray776
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
That was meant for morfic

StompArtist
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Because of all the glittering star dust everywhere. In fact it's all due to poor house keeping.

morfic
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Geray.. your argument is invalid and out of place in this topic. I never said I believe in the "Big Bang" theory. I do, however, believe that there is a scientific answer for everything. We do not have the answers to everything, and it is impossible to know many mysteries of our universe (as of yet). My stance is just that I do not believe in god. There may be a higher power out there, but there is nothing to prove its existence, and until then I cannot lie to myself and believe in random fairy tales.

I don't know how the universe came to be, but I do know that if it WAS due to the "Big Bang Theory", that is a thousand times more believable than some superhuman celestial being snapping his fingers and poofing us all into existence.

And it is not the "Big Bang" that "Knew" we needed "Atmosphere to breath". Organisms blossomed and flourished out of the correct mixture of life-giving elements found on our planet. I don't have all the answers, so I have no clue why you are asking me. But you asking me those things, is exactly the thing an ignorant Christian would do, to try and "prove" their point. Basing your beliefs in God, on questions we have not answered with science yet, is just reinforcing how mentally weak us as humans are. If we feel like our life is pointless or meaningless because we can't explain/don't know certain things, we are very quick to accept and believe any farfetched tale that answers those questions.

These questions you have asked me... WILL be answered via science. Maybe sooner... maybe way later and after our lifetime, but they will be answered. Then, at some point in the future, people will look back at these ideas with the same amused smirks as we have for people who used to think that the Earth was flat. Or how we chuckle at the people who used to think that stars were their ancestors looking down on them from the heavens.

@Micah: Sorry for the derail, I just can't stand when people ask me those questions as if it proves anything at all.

MightyMicah
07-17-2012, 09:18 PM
@morfic he asked for it. No problem. Although for the record, I don't believe what you said at all. Science always fails to answer why. It can answer how, but it will never answer why.

The funny thing about science is that it can ultimately never "prove" anything at all. Just the other month a "scientific law" was broken. The law which stated that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

morfic
07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Incorrect Micah. They thought they disproved that scientific law. It turns out, their calculations were wrong and in fact, nothing can travel faster than light still. Not to say it won't be broken one day.

And you have to understand, that at this current time, nothing that we know exists, and nothing made out of the current elements we know about, can travel faster than light. If a new particle is found, or a new discovery is found that doesn't obey physics like everything else in the world, then that is not the fault of science. That is yet another scientific discovery broadening our knowledge.

I also don't understand your first thought. Science answers both how and why (when it can). Why is the sky blue? Science can answer that. Why do fish have gills? Science can answer that. Why do thousands of jellyfish swarm japan, science can answer that. It also answers how. Of course those are general "Why"s, and I am assuming you are referring to the question of, "Why did the planets get formed in the first place", or "Why are we alive", or "why does everything exist". Those answers, of course, cannot be answered by science. Thats like the question, "what is the meaning of life?". There is no answer to that, and there is NO way it can be answered, unless there is a supreme being that created us for a certain reason. Other than that, we are just here because we got lucky, and there is no true meaning to life, and no true "reason" everything exists.

People hate to hear that though, and since it is not possible to answer why we exist with science, people flock to fabulous tales that comfort them. "Ahhhh, I have a purpose after all.", etc.

http://www.nature.com/news/neutrinos-not-faster-than-light-1.10249

StompArtist
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Incorrect Micah. They thought they disproved that scientific law. It turns out, their calculations were wrong and in fact, nothing can travel faster than light still. Not to say it won't be broken one day.

And you have to understand, that at this current time, nothing that we know exists, and nothing made out of the current elements we know about, can travel faster than light. If a new particle is found, or a new discovery is found that doesn't obey physics like everything else in the world, then that is not the fault of science. That is yet another scientific discovery broadening our knowledge.

I also don't understand your first thought. Science answers both how and why (when it can). Why is the sky blue? Science can answer that. Why do fish have gills? Science can answer that. Why do thousands of jellyfish swarm japan, science can answer that. It also answers how. Of course those are general "Why"s, and I am assuming you are referring to the question of, "Why did the planets get formed in the first place", or "Why are we alive", or "why does everything exist". Those answers, of course, cannot be answered by science. Thats like the question, "what is the meaning of life?". There is no answer to that, and there is NO way it can be answered, unless there is a supreme being that created us for a certain reason. Other than that, we are just here because we got lucky, and there is no true meaning to life, and no true "reason" everything exists.

People hate to hear that though, and since it is not possible to answer why we exist with science, people flock to fabulous tales that comfort them. "Ahhhh, I have a purpose after all.", etc.

On my Brane we are all masters of our own Strings.

Snakespeare
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you have to "believe" in a fairy tale for it to be useful?

StompArtist
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM

You have to believe in the "lesson" taught for it to be useful.

Livemau
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM

that's what i try telling people
I say the only reason people still hang on to religion is for their unanswered questions because god can answer almost everything
how was the universe created god made it but what happens when one day we find that something else made the universe
ancient religions died off because tings got explained like the Egyptology sun god in the chariot or something like that
we now know there is no guy in a chariot so that religion was forgotten or the Greek gods people believed so strongly that they were up on Mt Olympus but when they found out Zeus didn't make lighting and it was plasma they just dropped the whole idea
eventually all of today major religions will be dropped but until we find gods house or his mansion or even his crib atheism will always remain
and when people pray for those who are sick its not god that cures them its modern medicine and the men and women who make it happen
we are our own masters we control our actions and we make things changed
the only thing good about religion is the principles of kindness and doing good throughout your life and helping those in need it just comes with a fantasy tale attached to it

StompArtist
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
On a side note here is a thing that has puzzled me for the longest time.

Evolution or Godly intervention.

Why is it that only humans have this "gift" that makes it possible to be what we are? I mean look at nature. Some fish are only fish, others have little legs, others are able to breath air with a gill/lung combo.

Where are the medieval non human critters? Why are other brands of critters not discovering fire? Seems peculiar. Why are monkeys not deciding to walk upright? Seems like we got lucky 10 times in a row.

Aliens?

morfic
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Not at all Snake. I believe the bible to hold many wonderful lessons, that everyone should take to heart.

Stomp hit it on the nose. (bully)

MightyMicah
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
@Morfic what I meant by "why" is that we cannot comprehend order. We know that gravity pulls objects toward earth. So if I drop my phone it will fall to the ground. Why? Because gravity pulled it towards the ground. But that does not explain why gravity pulled it down. That only explains that, yes, gravity did, indeed, pull it down.

We know that our thoughts are no more than just electronic pulses in our brains correct? Even so we cannot explain emotions such as love, hope, fear, etc. We know "how" we think these things (by using our brain) Science can never explain why.

Livemau
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
@Morfic what I meant by "why" is that we cannot comprehend order. We know that gravity pulls objects toward earth. So if I drop my phone it will fall to the ground. Why? Because gravity pulled it towards the ground. But that does not explain why gravity pulled it down. That only explains that, yes, gravity did, indeed, pull it down.

We know that our thoughts are no more than just electronic pulses in our brains correct? Even so we cannot explain emotions such as love, hope, fear, etc. We know "how" we think these things (by using our brain) Science can never explain why.

larger objects pull smaller objects towards them (earth vs ur phone)
if ur phone was massive (in terms of mass) earth would fall to your phone

StompArtist
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Trying to remain random here but: Why did God make love, gravity and human life?

MightyMicah
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
@livemau great job at explaining further how it happens.
@stompartist thats off topic of our already off topic conversation lol. Read the bible if you wanna know that. Then maybe come back here and share your favorite verse ;)

morfic
07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
@stompartist thats off topic of our already off topic conversation lol. Read the bible if you wanna know that. Then maybe come back here and share your favorite verse ;)

@Micah, good job at skating a very valid point. :P

Asking "Why" is something that both sides cannot deal with. Just as science cannot answer all the "why"'s, the bible and it's readers cannot either. Example:

Q: Why did God create the Earth?
A: Because he needed somewhere for humans to live? (guessing, insert whatever reason you believe to be true)

Q: Why did he create humans?
A: Umm,, because he was lonely? He wanted a sort of antfarm maybe? (guessing, insert whatever reason you believe to be true)

Q: Why did he need an antfarm?
A: I dunno, he just did okay!?

Have a conversation with most children who ask why over and over. They will drill you down until you do not have the answers. This applies to every subject, science and religion. God/The Bible does not answer all or any of those why's.

It is impossible for either side to know the most basic "why"s of any situation, so this argument is irrelevant as well. Science does answer (or try to answer) the why's though. Interpreters of the Bible are just guessing at the why's based on what the bible says that other people said a long time ago.

General Relativity and the theory of Graviton particles at least attempts to answer the "Why". Certain things like that, we have not been able to 100% answer... why... it happens, but its only due to limits in our own technology. At this point in time, we have answered "Why the earth is flat" with... "it isn't, it is round". That why has been answered, but it might be disproved in the future if we learn that the world really is flat, but works through crazy wormholes and reflections of time/space that make it appear round from space.. etc etc. Point is, Why's can always be changed, and are extremely hard to answer 100%.

But the Bible (or god) can't answer these Why's of yours either. It's a tough subject, but there are a LOT more explanations of how things came to be with science, than religion. Off the top of my head:

- How did Moses part the sea? (not "God did it", exactly how.)
- How did Jesus turn water to wine? (not "through the power of the holy spirit", what was the process he used?)
- How long is each day to god? In 7 days he created everything, but we have proof of things being hundreds of millions of years old. Is each day 1 million years to god?
- How was is possible that Noah held 2 of every creature on a boat? It's physically impossible. How did the dinosaurs fit on there?.... o wait.
- Why are there no dinosaurs in the Bible? We have evidence of dinosaurs existing FAR FAR before man. I missed the part where god created the dinosaurs... then chilled for 300 million years, (or whatever), then created all the other animals and humans. Also, didn't he create light a couple days before man? So dinosaurs lived in darkness forever? No wonder they died!

again, point is, neither side has all the answers. Religion is a lot of fun to debate, but neither side should expect a 100% correct answer on anything. Just believe whatever it is your heart believes. Live by good morals, and enjoy life to the fullest.

StompArtist
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM

I have, even was an altar boy. I was just being curious because I have never seen anything about "why". To be honest my favorite bit is the entire Genesis. Cool stuff.

As a side note I am also fascinated by the human spirit that thinks it can understand everything and that no natural phenomenon will ever have the explanation: "Woah. This is way too complex for us, forget about it", pretty impressive in an arrogant way for a species. :P

MightyMicah
07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
@Morfic You haven't read the Bible have you? All your Q&A's are answered very simply. He created everything to bring glory to him.

As for your scientific stuff check out Answersingenesis.com. There are easy answers to the ark and the "million year" theory. You make a point though, we will never know 100% of all answers. I agree with you 100% on that (see what I did there? XD) if you want, we can message back and forth and stuff. Honestly I'm very glad to meet someone who thinks about this stuff. Most people don't care, or don't want to care.

@stompartist I'm not sure I understand O.o

StompArtist
07-20-2012, 06:22 AM
@Micah: Apparently I do not understand either. I am saying that I have read the Bible and have not seen anything about "why" God did all this. From your answer to Morf I am deducing that you say that he did for his glory? Where?

Cruis
07-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Therefore do not worry about
tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry
about itself. Each day has enough
trouble of its own.

Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs
34:14)

Mine too :beguiled:

Kanitall
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I wrote the bible.

Noodleleg
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I wrote the bible.

Mmm I always considered you a nun... Turns out, no nun would say that ;)!

Noodleleg
08-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Guys, I believe in the bible... I'm a very devoted Christian... HOWEVER... I'm not okay with stuck up priests reiterating that the world is 4000 years old. Not cool. Yes, somethings cannot be explained through science, why we go to God for answers. But 4000 years? Seriously -_-...?

MightyMicah
08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
@stompartist the Bible never ever mentions the word Trinity. However, the idea of a trinity is found within its pages. "between the pages" you might say. Same with God creating the world for his glory. In fact, however, there are many many verses that talk about bringing glory to God. It never states that that is why he made the world, so of course we don't know for sure. Only God knows I suppose.

@Noodleleg I can't tell if you are dissing the stance that the earth is only 4,000 years old. If so hit me up in messages. You'd be surprised at the astonishing evidence for a young earth.

Noodleleg
08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Carbon dating? Isn't that enough evidence?

Edit:

Oh and... I got a lot more annoying "facts" crazy Christians like to say.

MightyMicah
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
@Noodle message me bro! I'm the most crazy Christian around and I'd love to hear these annoying facts :P

In answer to carbon dating, though, I will say a few things. You are aware that carbon dating is only reliable up to 50,000-60,000 years correct? Indeed, the longer ammount of time that you tag on a specific fossil, the more chance it has of being an innacurate estimate. That being the case, why are you using carbon dating to prove the earth millions is years old?

Here's a link to a site that can explain all of this in vast detail.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/does-c14-disprove-the-bible/

morfic
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
He is correct. The half life of carbon is 5800 years, so not too accurate.

Radiometric dating is much better, with the half life ranging from .7 to 48 billion years.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't clarify. Carbon-14 IS a method of radiometric dating, but it's halflife is only around 5800 years. However..Radiometric dating involving the use of isotope series, such as rubidium/strontium, thorium/lead, potassium/argon, argon/argon, or uranium/lead... has the halflife of .7-48 billion years.

All of these isotopes break down their radioactive elements at a predictable rate. The half life of the rate gives us a very clear indication of the age of our planet, judging by the examples found.

I've read all of the websites trying to prove the bible's stances on these things. Answersingenesis is a good one, and there are various other scientist that sound good trying to show proof of a young earth. But as good as an argument as they make (My favorite one being that we still have oil reserves with tremendous pressure. If the earth was as old as we say, the pressure would have slowly decreased as oil seeped through the dirt and rock.), it doesn't overwhelm the evidence we have found for an older Earth.

We may not understand everything about the Earth, like the oil reserve pressue, but we do know the world is billions of years old. Noah's flood (or any other factor) would not hasten the half life of radioactive isotopes from 48 billion years to 5000.

StompArtist
08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Wait.

Maybe I entirely missed something but how did the stars get away from us so fast in 6000 years? Was the Universe setup at the same time as the Earth?

:S

morfic
08-08-2012, 09:52 AM
That reminds me of another argument by the biblical scientist. They argue that the moon travels further away from the Earth every year due to tidal forces. If that is the case, It would be impossible for the Earth to be as old as we say, because the moon would be a great distance further away from us.

These arguments sound good, but they are completely close minded. They all take one fact of science (like the moon getting further from the Earth), and assume that is a constant that never has, and never will change. There are many factors that could have altered this fact billions of years ago. The tidal forces could have affected the moon differently at closer distances. We do not know, we can only assume.

Flowman
08-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I haven't read this thread since maybe the 3rd page...did MightyMicah turn out to be a bible-thumper?

wvhills
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
I have no problem believing in creation or a young earth. Here's my viewpoint:

If you could go back and look at Adam the day after God created him you would think he would be somewhere between 20-40 years old when in fact he was 1 day old. If God can speak the earth into existance (and I believe he did) then He is able to make it fully mature (or an old earth).

StompArtist
08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Why I am asking is that I was raised a Catholic and we believe in evolution and that it was orchestrated by God. I got a few reservations as of why he put us on this apparently insignificant planet on a relatively unimportant Galaxy... but the whole young earth stuff has always been extremely puzzling to me.

wvhills
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, it's most important planet and most important galaxy to me. Haha.

Seriously though, part of your reservations are talked about in the Bible. Psalm 8:4 says "what is man, that thou art mindful of him"...
Hebrews 2:6 also says the same thing. Evidently people from ancient times were to looking up at all the stars (before all the light pollution, hehe) and wonder why God chose to send His son to die for mankind when we are so insignificant.

Maybe if you read all of Psalms 8 and Hebrews 2 you will find some answers.

Noodleleg
08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes, carbon dating is not accurate. However... I don't understand why some "followers" don't just comply with science. I mean...the Church already has. I went to Washington D.C. and went to the National Cathedral... Guess what I saw! A picture of Jesus by a DNA helix... Mmm deoxyribonucleic acid :)! Also, meteorites that struck earth many many many many (get my point?) years ago definitely aren't younger than 4000 years ago... Sorry, I don't like to private message :)! Also to answer carbon dating... Yes, it's not accurate and reliable. But you can also use different things to measure. Like Uraniam. By radiometric age dating, measurements of Lead in Urainum-rich minerals suggest earth is 4.5-ish billion years old. Could the Church answer that o_O? I mean... I learned about fission and fusion (omg I wish fusion comes soon) when I was in like fourth grade (yes, I had to learn it myself :( classmate was working on caterpillars)... Look it up sometimes... Very fun stuff to learn! AND JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE SCREWED UP HERE AND THERE (like Chernobyl) DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN SAY GOD IS MAD... I rest my case ^_^!

Signing out,
Noodleleg

Walkhardd
08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Christian logic makes my face hurt from the massive amounts of facepalmage.

Did I say Christian and logic in the same sentence? O.o

Anyways, back to my meaningless life. (Which I'm cool with. :p)

P.s. I still love you, religious peeps!

Noodleleg
08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Christian logic makes my face hurt from the massive amounts of facepalmage.

Did I say Christian and logic in the same sentence? O.o

Anyways, back to my meaningless life. (Which I'm cool with. :p)

P.s. I still love you, religious peeps!

Great Stevens think alike ^_^!

PianoWizzy
08-08-2012, 06:57 PM
James 3:2... "We all stumble many times."

Kanitall
08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
@Noodle message me bro! I'm the most crazy Christian around and I'd love to hear these annoying facts :P

In answer to carbon dating, though, I will say a few things. You are aware that carbon dating is only reliable up to 50,000-60,000 years correct? Indeed, the longer ammount of time that you tag on a specific fossil, the more chance it has of being an innacurate estimate. That being the case, why are you using carbon dating to prove the earth millions is years old?

Here's a link to a site that can explain all of this in vast detail.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/does-c14-disprove-the-bible/

0-50 000years...

PianoWizzy
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I have no problem believing in creation or a young earth. Here's my viewpoint:

If you could go back and look at Adam the day after God created him you would think he would be somewhere between 20-40 years old when in fact he was 1 day old. If God can speak the earth into existance (and I believe he did) then He is able to make it fully mature (or an old earth).

I don't think Adam was literally a day old. God did of course stay true to his word that "as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.” (Genesis 2:17) In God's perspective, they did die that day, but also consider:
(2 Peter 3:8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.
Edit: found what I was looking for.
(Genesis 5:5) So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died.

And people who think God could not age the planet of His own accord severely underestimate Him. XD

Kanitall
08-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't think Adam was literally a day old. God did of course stay true to his word that "as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.” (Genesis 2:17) In God's perspective, they did die that day, but also consider:
(2 Peter 3:8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.
Edit: found what I was looking for.
(Genesis 5:5) So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died.

And people who think God could not age the planet of His own accord severely underestimate Him. XD

I'm Adam... Are you calling me a liar?

Only if god knew how much I like trolling religious threads...

morfic
08-10-2012, 04:40 AM
And that's how a good friendly religious debate gets locked. :p please dont

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

PianoWizzy
08-10-2012, 07:00 AM

I lol'd.

Livemau
08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
i didnt know kanital was athiest or is he
i bet he secretly practices Livemauism
worships me in his basement or in a secret society he has with the rest of unity in the forest at night

Worship
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
"So, to say that the Trinity isn't true because the word isn't in the Bible is an invalid argument. Furthermore, to say that if God wanted us to believe in the Trinity He would have clearly taught it in scripture, is also an invalid argument. Something does not have to be clearly formulated in the Bible to be valid. Not all things taught in the Bible are perfectly clear. Take a look at the book of Revelation. It contains many things that are cryptic that must be interpreted after examining all of the Bible. Even then, there are disagreements as to what some things mean. Yet, we know that the truths there are true whether or not we discover them."

I am Agnostic, but I will still defend/offend anyone as I please if it has to do with religion.

MYNISTA
08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
One of my faves rt now:

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with POWer: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. (Acts 10:38)"

He's still the same JESUS! :)

IN REFERENCE TO THIS SCRIPTURE...Check out my latest music vid....#POW!

[Click 720p to view in HD]

http://youtu.be/l22HhZTJRpQ

razerfingers
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
One of my faves rt now:

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. (Acts 10:38)"

Check out my latest music vid....#POW!

You're videos. Are legit, finally got around to subscribing to you on youtube haha. Anyways lets stay on topic xP

Sent using spray paint from a "can"

MYNISTA
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
One of my faves rt now:

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. (Acts 10:38)"

Check out my latest music vid....#POW!

You're videos. Are legit, finally got around to subscribing to you on youtube haha. Anyways lets stay on topic xP

Thx...and actually I posted the vid because its in reference to my fave scripture that I posted....it is on topic lol.

-P.S. Just edited my original post to include the fact that the vid references the script.

razerfingers
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Thx...and actually I posted the vid because its in reference to my fave scripture that I posted....it is on topic lol.

-P.S. Just edited my original post to include the fact that the vid references the script.

I like it. You do good at whatcha do :) better than what i could attempt to do haha

MightyMicah
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
That music video was about the most legit thing I have seen in a long while! I will definitely be subscribing ASAP.

Back on topic-It seems we are getting no where on this debate (though it is pretty awesome :P) I did my homework on young earth, y'all did your homework on old earth. You say there's overwhelming evidence on old earth, I beg to differ.

I suggest we just drop it and let the thread continue with its original purpose, or let it die. If you want to continue a friendly debate with me or anyone else, I'd love to debate it in messages! Peace out!

Noodleleg
08-10-2012, 04:18 PM

You noob! We could've been in Eden right now if it weren't for you!

Oh Fk... Not Waldo's Eden... You know Edensfury... Shet that sounded wrong...

StompArtist
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Let's keep it nice. Very interesting discussion in this thread.

razerfingers
08-10-2012, 11:44 PM
"And god said, let there be light: and there was light" -genesis 1:3

Noodleleg
08-13-2012, 02:14 PM
"And god said, let there be light: and there was light" -genesis 1:3

... And then God said, "Let this thread be locked!" -the troll times 1: 1-3

Kanitall
08-14-2012, 03:22 AM
You noob! We could've been in Eden right now if it weren't for you!

Oh Fk... Not Waldo's Eden... You know Edensfury... Shet that sounded wrong...

Ew.

Noodleleg
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Ew.

Gotta love 'dem wrinkles :)!

mynameiskim31
01-22-2013, 03:54 AM
I have many favorite verses, but one of those that I really love is Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." this is the great promise from God.

James Otto Sweet Heart
01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
I love Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

The Sadness
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Favorite verses:

Philippians 4:4-8 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious in anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, offer your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think of these things.

This from from NIV84, I have not taken the time memorize NIV - I think it addresses both sexes in the last section (Finally brothers and sisters).

Zeus
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
"The End"

Plain, simple, but it works.

Noodleleg
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
"The End"

Plain, simple, but it works.

I'm pretty sure Revelation ended slightly different.

;)

MightyMicah
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Revelation ended slightly different.

;)

Bible noobs... ;)