PDA

View Full Version : Itunes Gift Card Sales Tax?

Swimmingstar
06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I recently bought plat from an itunes gift card and it taxed me. I thought gift cards don't give tax? I was planning to buy 165 platinum then the 75 platinum but now I can only buy the 165 and 30. I heard somewhere that you don't pay tax if you use a gift card.

Is this true?

DanielRH
06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately not, this has happened to me before.

If apple does not have a store in your state, then you won't be taxed (I believe this is correct).

StompArtist
06-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Wait.

Did you pay taxes when you bought the card to begin with?

RedRyder
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
He was only charged when buying plat. I think Dan is correct. You don't get charged for tax I think if you buy plat from amazon.

Swimmingstar
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Wait.

Did you pay taxes when you bought the card to begin with?

Nope.

Flowman
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I remember when iTunes was for music...

I get taxed when I buy it from google checkout. It's pretty annoying.

Ixillicus
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I recently bought plat from an itunes gift card and it taxed me. I thought gift cards don't give tax? I was planning to buy 165 platinum then the 75 platinum but now I can only buy the 165 and 30. I heard somewhere that you don't pay tax if you use a gift card.

Is this true?

Probably a bit of confusion...

When you purchase a Gift Card you cannot be taxed on it. (So if its $50, you pay $50.) The reason you are not taxed on it is because it is like-cash value. However, when you make purchases using that card, your purchases would be taxed according to local laws.

Depending on your country or state etc, the rules are different. For example, in some US states you are taxed for electronic downloads (songs, apps etc.) and some states you are not.

As long as you weren't taxed on the purchase of the card initially, this is legit. And it sucks. Like buying a $50 itunes card but not being able to buy the 800 plat in PL lol

Noodleleg
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I have an iOS device and I do buy platinum with iTunes money. What Red said is correct. If there is an Apple Store around you, you will be charged tax on your purchase. There is an Apple Store around Minnesota so, I get charged like 7% more when buying platinum. It sucks... I know lol... What sucks is when something costs $25 and the merchandise is $25, you're gonna have to wait another time =p... Hope that answers your question.

Sryyoulose
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
When I bought plat with my gift card I was taxed. They take about 3%

razerfingers
06-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Here this will clear up the confusion. I live in chico california. I dont get taxed for using itunes cards or android market i dont get taxed for purchasing cards in the store either. So it soley relies on where you live and the taxation laws :) my dad told me when i asked him before when a friend of mine IG said same thing

Sent front my HTC Evo 3D using tapatalk 2

Swimmingstar
06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Dang, this sucks.