PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at level 31. Advice?

lamentingone
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
i started the game a couple weeks ago. made an archer and got him to level 7, but he "felt" a bit underpowered to me. so i made a mage, and seriously blasted through the first 30 levels in a few days. huge difference. i did every quest available to me (that i saw). upon hitting level 30, though, i was put into some Crocodile Fued zone, and was immediately getting my butt handed to me. i figured i wasn't playing right, or didn't have the right spec, or equipment. i found a guide that told me to split up my int and dex, and buy new equipment, which included a spike weapon and some leather armour and a shield. the result is i'm not dying nearly as fast, but the critters in the crocodile place are taking forever to kill. that, and my mana dissipates 10 times as fast now, so i'm forced to use potions every 30 seconds

obviously. obviously.. i have no idea what i'm doing. i really like this game and want to continue, but i'm lost at the moment on how to continue =/

i don't expect to level as quickly as the first 30 levels, but i have really hit a wall here

Otukura
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
At 30 you will hit a wall. I'd level in LE until level 32, find some high level games so others can level you to 33, and then once at 33, do alien oasis. Swamps is like a 40-45 campaign.

FluffNStuff
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Couple things. First, are you playing in groups? Swamps is definitely a group level, and is extremely hard to solo, as it was designed that way. Also, when you say you split int/dex did you split it in half? You want to make sure you at least have enough int to equip level 30 weapons, so you might want to look at your numbers. You get 5 points each level, and gear usually requires 3 of them, with 2 to spare.
Now your choices are to stick with the swamps, find some teams, and improve your game, which will help you in the future (and is a ton of fun) or you can crawl on over to Skeller Returns and take the easy road. If you do decide to stick the swamps out, let me know and I can give you some more pointers on skills and items to get a hold of.

GoodSyntax
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
This is when a good group of friends or a helpful guild pays off!

When I hit a wall at level 30, and again at 55...and again at 60 - I used my friends/guild list to join up with higher level players. At some point, you will establish a "core" set of friends, with whom you work well with together, and clearing maps like these become a bit easier, because you have a good group and can chain together combos to effectively wipe out mobs.

Frankly, I agree with Otukura, Lost Expedition is a better set of maps to gain XP and seems to be far more active in terms of pick-up-groups than the Swamps. The problem with the Swamps is that the mobs are relatively strong, and the maps are so large that clearing the map takes too long. LE has more compact maps, the mobs don't deal as much damage and they have much lower HP (with the exception of the Trolls). The Pinks in LE are better IMO as well, with the exception of the Voodoo and Copperhead Pinks.

OvigorothO
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I recommend trying the side campaign called skeller crunch returns. 32-40 seems to be a dead zone for pve. Skeller crunch is a really easy campaign. Hope you can overcome this issue.

Sryyoulose
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
At this level you can get shivering/iceberg/brainfreeze gear these are cheap but amazingly good gear if you don't know what the cs is check out Chickenrunnn's Auction House guide in the guide section :)

Phoenixking
06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I recommend trying the side campaign called skeller crunch returns. 32-40 seems to be a dead zone for pve. Skeller crunch is a really easy campaign. Hope you can overcome this issue.
Skeller crunch ftw, a lot of people seem to forget that campaign.
a bird is actually good at low levels for pve, but tough still

lamentingone
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Couple things. First, are you playing in groups? Swamps is definitely a group level, and is extremely hard to solo, as it was designed that way. Also, when you say you split int/dex did you split it in half? You want to make sure you at least have enough int to equip level 30 weapons, so you might want to look at your numbers. You get 5 points each level, and gear usually requires 3 of them, with 2 to spare.
Now your choices are to stick with the swamps, find some teams, and improve your game, which will help you in the future (and is a ton of fun) or you can crawl on over to Skeller Returns and take the easy road. If you do decide to stick the swamps out, let me know and I can give you some more pointers on skills and items to get a hold of.

you guys are awesome. i really appreciate the input.

i can't remember the break-up of stat points, but they were very specific in order to equip the recommended items. i just jump into dungeons and someone is there or isn't. i generally getting a random guild invite for every 10 minutes /played, but i've ignored them up to now. i've never been a fan of huge guilds that just invite every living person, but whatever, maybe i'll join one. i'm really playing the game more for the fun of combat and exploring, rather than socializing

Fyrce
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
You don't need guild. Just join public games!

If you play w/ ice, don't forget that each class has a skill to break the ice.

Appleisaac
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Unless your a bear, dex is extremely underpowered for the first 40 levels of the game. <---nothing to do with the rest of my post

You are now at the level where your character role starts to come into play (YAY). Your a mage; so, your going to need to keep almost all of your focus on keeping your team running via heals and revs. Focus on spamming heal pretty much whenever it reloads, and always keep an eye on the health and disabilities of your teammates (disabilities meaning if they are frozen or hurt in some way). Another very important part of your role as a mage is hiding behind a bear :). You don't have very much armor so you REALLY need a good bear to keep you from dying.
If you find yourself running out of mana too much for your liking, you can always switch back to pure int. Another thing you might want to consider is your skill allocation. If I were you, I would respec your skills and put at least 5 in both of your buffs (it will make a HUGE difference in your damage output and survivability). Put only one point in mana shield and only one point in revival/whateveritscalled (thats all you need).

Shellkaz
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
One other thing, Mages usually go through mana pots at a pretty healthy clip until they hit about lvl 45 - 50. My personal description for my "baby mage" is mana hog. About the time you get to Alien Oasis 2 your mana regen can pretty much keep up with your usage, if you don't use the skill magic shield a lot. I tend to substitute the skill "Drain" for mana shield and only use the mana/magic shield when my hp starts dropping to a level that I personally am uncomfortable with. And that level depends on the map I'm running and the party I'm with.

Elf-Orc-Naga
06-15-2012, 03:08 AM
i remember it is easy to level up at lost expedition (ice yeti) rather than swamps. I suggest pally (half int half str) if you do not want to die immediately but you'll end up killing enemies slowly. I would suggest l30 int pink sets (brain freeze as they also suggested) are the best until level 44.. and yeah find a good group to play with.. i bet that good group will also find good player in the run..

Livemau
06-15-2012, 04:00 AM
when i did this campain i had some trouble as well and i remember calling maddddddd to help me and he was almost as low as i was so we didnt do so well then i met zaonbiuabil and joined the zao clan (most fun of my life) and we agreed always to stick together no matter what and so together we beat that and got to the sewers together
i guess what im saying is make some friends that are your level and play with them a lot and stick together if your friends are 66 they will get tired of helping you all the time but if they are also gaining from the xp runs then i guess they wont get bored like a 66 would making slow cash in that campain. Just do xp runs and you should be fine if you make reliable friends that you can trust with your items and gold and they can trust you with their items. At certain points Zao and I would switch who was a little ahead so whoever was a little higher would eventually donate gear that would be used until more effective gear was found. When he took the lead by like 2 levels when i was 30 and he was 32 he gave me some parts to a set whichwas the shivering talon with purple armor and wing and pink talon and helm. We also shared 45 sets and when i beat him to like 47 i gave him my red scarab bow and i got a new trueshot bow. It makes it cheaper and easier to level up and you get friendships that last a long time.

Renovate
06-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Be patient :) Good luck

Elixirgod
06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Try find groups with high players. You will die if you have players that have levels that are lower then you. Hope it helps!

crestmage
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Below are some tips for you ;)

- Do not multi-spec ( in our case, DEX and INT) Those are considerable when ur level is higher, but not for 45 below. Instead, go full INT.

- Your gear should be : lvl 30 brainfreeze wand, lvl 30 brainfreeze eyeball. As for robes and caps, go for those with highest mana regen and armor, they're essentials for Pve-ing.

- Try not to spam heal so often. Heal is a very strong aggro skill. ( Something similiar to a bear's "taunt" where the enemy's attention is on you.)

- Your skill build should be the following:
Heal-5
Drain Life-5
Firestorm-6
Icestorm-3
Frostbite-1
Blessing of Vitality-4
Blessing of Might-5
Mana Shield-1
Revive-1

That's all than i can write off my head at the moment :) (If i'm wrong somewhere, i welcome any advice and correction from other forum users :) ) This build is for pure dungeon-ing/Pve-ing. However if you'd like a Pvp build instead, you can PM me ;) All the best!