PDA

View Full Version : can someone clarify something please?

LIGHTNINGLORD67
08-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Is it a crime to double/triple post?

It may sound like a troll question but I'm being serious. After all, you don't become a senior member, the highest member rank, on the forums until you reach 100 posts.

So someone tell me, what is so bad about double/triple posting?

Cascade
08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Because double/triple posting is just a waste of posts...Your sposed to post....wait for a reply....then post again if you want to.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
08-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Because double/triple posting is just a waste of posts...Your sposed to post....wait for a reply....then post again if you want to.

That's all? Then why are Others overreacting and saying triple posting is like committing a crime? (Ofcourse, its not in the exact words...)

Banned
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
It's not so much about it being bad. It's just stupid, there's a damn edit button. What's so difficult about using it?

Cascade
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
They are over acting but you do not need to double/triple post it is frowned upon by everyone.

EDIT:Exactly what banned said....See? In stead of posting another post I can just edit and it still sends the same msg except I save a post!

LIGHTNINGLORD67
08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh ok lol.

thanks cascade and banned :).

GaZz
08-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Is it a crime to double/triple post?

It may sound like a troll question but I'm being serious. After all, you don't become a senior member, the highest member rank, on the forums until you reach 100 posts.

So someone tell me, what is so bad about double/triple posting?

It makes you look like an impatient child. That's all.

Snakespeare
08-21-2010, 08:31 AM
It's not a crime, it's bad nettiquette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette).

I do it sometimes, but you have to know that you're crossing some people's lines because some people are fussy about these things, and sometimes they have ops.

In my opinion, if you come back to your thread the next day and nobody has replied, it's OK to post on it again provided you have something to add because the date stamp on the separate posts is data worth preserving. For instance, when I was trying to find an item to buy or trade, and it would sit there for a day and go over to the second page. Well, 24 hours later there are a lot of closed deals between that post and the active ones, and it has to be bumped back up with the active deals. The date stamp tells people that this buyer has been seeking for x number of days and the shape of the deal has gone from merely looking to sheer desperation.

Or another is when a thread is kind of like a daily log of your game progress. Then it's also OK to double post because of the timestamp. Because then the thread is like a blog. We don't have those here, but I was in the early Gran turismo group and we made a subboard for blog threads. In there, obviously, the double-post rule was off.