PDA

View Full Version : 148 Apps Details The Coming Dark Legends Patch and Removal of Energy

Samhayne
06-15-2012, 03:14 PM
12181 (http://www.148apps.com/news/dark-legends-removes-energy-mechanic-response-fan-criticism/)

148 Apps writer Rob LeFebvre delivers the exclusive scoop of what is coming next for Dark Legends - removal of Energy, Allies, Minions and more.

“Luckily we have a very powerful engine that allows us to rapidly iterate major systems,” continued Gattis. “In response to the player feedback; Energy will no longer be a gate, instead we’ll introduce a host of new systems that will hopefully work much better and be more rewarding.”

Those new systems include Allies and Minions, as detailed below. Kudos to Spacetime Studios for being responsive to their fanbase, something many companies might not even consider, nor be able to accomplish in such a quick timeline. The update is planned to go live this soon, so make sure you keep an eye peeled.

Click here to read the article on 148 Apps. (http://www.148apps.com/news/dark-legends-removes-energy-mechanic-response-fan-criticism/)

Cahaun
06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice!

Snakespeare
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
"Kudos to the developer, however, as they’ve decided to respond to fans and remove the mechanics that fans didn’t like."

I liked it, so they don't speak for me.

On the other hand, I am curious about the Ally system and I hope it's a hit!

Swimmingstar
06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
"Kudos to the developer, however, as they’ve decided to respond to fans and remove the mechanics that fans didn’t like."

Same!

Instead STS could have raised energy every time you level up.

Just read the article and the ally and minion system sound pretty cool! Did you get the idea for daily gifts from my thread in PL suggestions? :D

Late
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
My eyes are peeled

ArtStar
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Sounds good, looks like we are going to be getting some good stuff in DL!

Mrsberry
06-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Sounds awsome almost like an entirely new game.
Cant wait!

Growwle
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
It is nice that feedback is heard and changes are implemented quickly, some larger companies should learn from this and they may not lose so many subscribers.

octavos
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
It is nice that feedback is heard and changes are implemented quickly, some larger companies should learn from this and they may not lose so many subscribers.
nawww your to nice, im sure will take them in...let the "Companies Fail" so we can have more friends to play with. im sure Arcane is waiting for them.

Conradin
06-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for this guys- You really are the best devs.

Takezaki
06-15-2012, 07:52 PM
The economy still sucks.

heypeo
06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
The update sounds fun but I hope it wont change the game to much

wvhills
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Snake, u don't even like DL, lol.

Sam- IMO you guys need to make the maps longer and harder. It's really boring to run the same things over and over again the way it is now. IMO it would be better if the bosses and maps required group tatics to finish. Maybe increase the benefits of the blessing and curse skills and add a skill that gathers/groups mobs. I know u guys are going for customization but as it is now 90% of us have the same skills as the other skills are useless. The other 10% don't have plat or they'd respec to be like the rest of us. I'd consider either making 2 other classes or completely overhaul the skill paths to allow for real customization. I know you guys make tons of $$ on respecs but I'd also consider allowing us to have a pve set up and a pvp setup- still charge plat for respecs in each category but allow us to flip from one to the other without plats.

Carapace
06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Snake, u don't even like DL, lol.

Sam- IMO you guys need to make the maps longer and harder. It's really boring to run the same things over and over again the way it is now. IMO it would be better if the bosses and maps required group tatics to finish. Maybe increase the benefits of the blessing and curse skills and add a skill that gathers/groups mobs. I know u guys are going for customization but as it is now 90% of us have the same skills as the other skills are useless. The other 10% don't have plat or they'd respec to be like the rest of us. I'd consider either making 2 other classes or completely overhaul the skill paths to allow for real customization. I know you guys make tons of $$ on respecs but I'd also consider allowing us to have a pve set up and a pvp setup- still charge plat for respecs in each category but allow us to flip from one to the other without plats.

Hey there Robert!

So there is some good questions and sentiments in here, and I want to take a moment to talk on a couple of them. In particular in regards to the mission length. By comparison, Dark Legends is a different game than Star and Pocket (which I assume the comparison is being made given your impressively high level characters in PL) in that the content is designed to be more "bite sized" than those games. The initial thought was that with the energy mechanic and smaller, more quick in-and-out style play we would be appealing to a different type of gamer, the gamer on the go more than the mid to hardcore gamer types.

As you have no doubt seen, not everything panned out exactly as intended and with Dark! We took the initiative, based on player feedback and our own sentiments and have redesigned the map and actions related game components with less emphasis on the energy mechanics for 3D missions. This allows players to "grind" them if they prefer, or continue to use the ally system to level in more bite sized chunks like the Action system allowed for gamers that don't have the time to be able to sit and play in a more mid to hardcore way.

Coming with Kriegberg, you will begin to see more typical "MMO boss" mechanics come into play. The maps will still be shorter and bite-sized, but the fights for some of these particular encounters will be more involved. In fact it is a bit challenging for single player play (though doable with some skill mind you!). Down the road larger dungeons may start coming into the game, but probably not as a universal change due to the previously stated intentions for Dark Legends. That's not to say it can't and won't change, but for now we're content with the length of the missions as part of the game as a whole.

Skill refinements and tweaking aren't out of the question, though at the moment they're not at the forefront of our things to hit on. New stuff will be streaming in as we continue, and thoughts like these are valuable feedback that can shift those priorities! Thanks very much, and I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on the new content! :vsmile:

Lady_Pebbles
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Im actually really glad the maps are not huge. I seriously hate grinding in SL so DL makes it a lot easier to go on those runs. In fact, I've -never- got a pink to drop for me in SL or PL because it takes forever to grind & quite frankly, Im tired of it. Thank goodness DL has shorter maps!

Im excited for the new skills we'll be able to unlick soon too! PvP and PvE is gonna get even more interesting now. :)

Thanks for the heads up Carapace.

wvhills
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Hey there Robert!

So there is some good questions and sentiments in here, and I want to take a moment to talk on a couple of them. In particular in regards to the mission length. By comparison, Dark Legends is a different game than Star and Pocket (which I assume the comparison is being made given your impressively high level characters in PL) in that the content is designed to be more "bite sized" than those games. The initial thought was that with the energy mechanic and smaller, more quick in-and-out style play we would be appealing to a different type of gamer, the gamer on the go more than the mid to hardcore gamer types.

As you have no doubt seen, not everything panned out exactly as intended and with Dark! We took the initiative, based on player feedback and our own sentiments and have redesigned the map and actions related game components with less emphasis on the energy mechanics for 3D missions. This allows players to "grind" them if they prefer, or continue to use the ally system to level in more bite sized chunks like the Action system allowed for gamers that don't have the time to be able to sit and play in a more mid to hardcore way.

Coming with Kriegberg, you will begin to see more typical "MMO boss" mechanics come into play. The maps will still be shorter and bite-sized, but the fights for some of these particular encounters will be more involved. In fact it is a bit challenging for single player play (though doable with some skill mind you!). Down the road larger dungeons may start coming into the game, but probably not as a universal change due to the previously stated intentions for Dark Legends. That's not to say it can't and won't change, but for now we're content with the length of the missions as part of the game as a whole.

Skill refinements and tweaking aren't out of the question, though at the moment they're not at the forefront of our things to hit on. New stuff will be streaming in as we continue, and thoughts like these are valuable feedback that can shift those priorities! Thanks very much, and I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on the new content! :vsmile:

Thanks for the response man. I like pve in PL and pvp in DL (well, I LOVE pvp in DL, lol). As it is now I just do pve in DL to get the equips I need for Pvp. I understand the target audience for DL, you guys did a good job communicating that before it was ever launched. :)
I just don't think that type of market exists. IMO, mmo players aren't "causal". Everyone wants the best equips, most want the best stats, etc. and are competitive in that respects. You guys are looking for the farmville types who log in, do some missions, etc then hop back out. I feel like the great majority of mmo players aren't like that though. What I appreciate most about all the legends games is that you can jump in, do a 5 min run then get back out (you don't have to commit an hour at a time like computer based games) but you can do this throughout the day.

Anyway, I look forward to the changes and wish you guys the best!

P.S. I look forward to killing the new boss, I hope he drops gems and not weapons. hehe.

Lady_Pebbles
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
In PL and SL you can't really login for 5 mins to do a run because the maps are huge. They take at least 30 mins depending what class you're playing. Im seriously hoping they keep the maps short in DL because it actually makes it less of an annoyance to farm items and kills. In fact, for me it is much more fun & reminds me of an arcade game with semi-fast game play. It just... Works!

I used to play games like MU Online on my laptop before it died on me (hell I'd still be playong it today! v.v). I like their huge open world maps but it takes forever to level up! Its refreshing to see something different on a mobile game though.

wvhills
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
In PL and SL you can't really login for 5 mins to do a run because the maps are huge. They take at least 30 mins depending what class you're playing. Im seriously hoping they keep the maps short in DL because it actually makes it less of an annoyance to farm items and kills. In fact, for me it is much more fun & reminds me of an arcade game with semi-fast game play. It just... Works!

I used to play games like MU Online on my laptop before it died on me (hell I'd still be playong it today! v.v). I like their huge open world maps but it takes forever to level up! Its refreshing to see something different on a mobile game though.

Thren, add Wvhills in PL and I'll show you how to clear maps in 3 min. :) Just let me know ur ign cause I don't accept random peoples. hehe.