PDA

View Full Version : Me Pot O'Gold!

Hotndots
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
I thought that with a bit of luck, I would find my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but it isn't so. Yes, I'm talking about the Luck Potions.

I shouldn't need to be worried about the 1.5k with each pot. But I am! I really don't like spending 30k on Luck potions, only to get one... yes... one single re-roll opportunity.. I might as well go and buy pinks lol.

Now, When I got the re-roll, I was quite excited but then it turned to confusion.
I thought that you get an item in a drop, and you re-roll that item for another item which would in turn, be better. But I looked, and I only ever recieved one item, a green.
The boss died, it says I was lucky and re-rolled... but I don't see which item I re-rolled... only that I got a green. Others have said that they re-rolled a white and got a yellow. So howcome I didn't re-roll an item?.. Only recieved a lousy one?

Please help. Thank you! =)

Royce
08-21-2010, 08:58 AM
I think this is how it works. If you see "feeling lucky... You are lucky", then you rerolled, and you will see both the item you initially rolled for and the item that replaced it. If you just see "feeling lucky" but then no "you are lucky" then you didn't get the 25% reroll. At least that's my understanding.

Hotndots
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand.
I did see both the, '' Feeling Lucky '' and '' You got Lucky ''..
However, I only ever saw one item recieved. I should have taken a screenie to better explain =/

And if there is a 25% chance to re-roll. Why does it not occur once with every 4 that I buy?

Royce
08-21-2010, 09:10 AM
You won't see the text pop up on screen because you never actually get the first item you roll if there is a reroll, but you should see something like this:

Hotndots recieved some crappy orange
Feeling lucky...
You are lucky
Hotndots recieved some less crappy green (this is the only one you would get a popup on your screen for)

Futumsh
08-21-2010, 09:18 AM
You only get one item, whether the elixir procs or not. The way it works is this: you're about to get a loot item, it rolls for what item you would get, then it checks if your luck elixir procs, and if it does, you get the feeling lucky message, and it rolls for a different item. If the second item is more rare than the first item, you get the lucky message and the second item instead of the first item.

Hotndots
08-21-2010, 09:51 AM
So does this mean that those who claim to have gotten a purple, and re-roll for a yellow.. are lying?
Because that is where I got confused.

Thank you both!

Royce
08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
So does this mean that those who claim to have gotten a purple, and re-roll for a yellow.. are lying?
Because that is where I got confused.

Thank you both!

Yeah, according to what Futumsh is saying, it seems there is no way to see what your original item would have been if you reroll and get another item. I think people (including me) were getting confused and seeing a previous drop in the chat window, and thinking that was the one that was rerolled.
Also thanks Futumsh for the explanation, it's good to know exactly how that works.

Tailless
08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
The last time it Proc'd I got a white item, kinda ruined the joy of it, lol. I still buy them on some runs but I have to wait until I'm in the boss room so I don't waste 1500g when I crash right before the boss.

kavanah
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
So basically according to what Futmush is saying is that "feeling lucky" is codename for "your elixer proc'd and you are now rerolling for the chance of a better item"

And "You got lucky" is codename for "your second reroll was actually better than your first, so you now recieve an upgraded item from the loot table"

This understanding now makes me want to definitely never buy one again. I was under the impression that if proc'd from the 25% chance, you would certainly get a better item, but according to what Fut said you only get another reroll.

My understanding was it worked something like this. Lets say you have a 1-100 roll (which you of course do not see on the screen). If you roll 1-30 you get a gray item. 31-60 you get a white. 61-81 an orange. 82-92 a green. 93-98 a purp. 99-100 a pink.

Imaginative numbers just for how I understood it work, keep in mind I'm only talking mechanics here. So my understanding was that if you rolled a 98 with your luck potion, it then checked to see if it proc'd (a roll of 1-100 <74 proc'd it) and if it did then you would reroll from 99-100... guaranteeing a pink.

Just how I thought it worked, but guess I was wrong as many many times before =)

Chickdigcookies
08-21-2010, 12:29 PM
CONTROVERSY IS OVER!

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/chicksdigcookies/80ac4264.jpg

Royce
08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
CONTROVERSY IS OVER!

OMG, that's the game I joined, but you guys were already at the end. First time I was present for a lance dropping, and I didn't even know it :D

Chickdigcookies
08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
lol yep. thats the one...

Furrawn
08-21-2010, 01:01 PM
CONTROVERSY IS OVER!

Lol gratz chick!!

But no, it doesn't end the controversy.
A lot of us have bought the luck potions and not gotten a reroll at all.
I think the issue, for some of us, is 1,500 for a luck potion often results in NO re-rolls.
Farming over & over with potions over & over is going to yield results! Of course! The potions are real.
But buying one luck potion often doesn't give a reroll at all.

The screenshot of the potion working isn't the issue. We all know the potion works but it takes buying them over & over which costs too much for most of us.

If I spend 1,500 on a potion that doubles my armor, it doubles it right then for five minutes unless I die.
I paid 1,500 and I have results.

If I spend 4,500 on three luck potions, buying each one when the prior one expires, and have 25 items dropped from mobs, then I expect results. I expect rerolls 25% of the time and for 25% of those rerolls to be lucky resulting in a better item. But instead I got ZERO rerolls from using three luck potions in a row. 4,500 = zero results

I'm too cheap :(
It's not cost-effective. I love Vegas & gambling... But, the slot machines pretend that I'm slightly winning so I'll spend more money. That works well on me;) But, with the luck potions, I don't have any "slight winning" to encourage me to spend more:(

I think it's probably a matter of preference & personality as to whether someone likes the luck potions or not.

Royce
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Lol gratz chick!!

But no, it doesn't end the controversy.
A lot of us have bought the luck potions and not gotten a reroll at all.
I think the issue, for some of us, is 1,500 for a luck potion often results in NO re-rolls.
Farming over & over with potions over & over is going to yield results! Of course! The potions are real.
But buying one luck potion often doesn't give a reroll at all.

The screenshot of the potion working isn't the issue. We all know the potion works but it takes buying them over & over which costs too much for most of us.

If I spend 1,500 on a potion that doubles my armor, it doubles it right then for five minutes unless I die.
I paid 1,500 and I have results.

If I spend 4,500 on three luck potions, buying each one when the prior one expires, and have 25 items dropped from mobs, then I expect results. I expect rerolls 25% of the time and for 25% of those rerolls to be lucky resulting in a better item. But instead I got ZERO rerolls from using three luck potions in a row. 4,500 = zero results

I'm too cheap :(
It's not cost-effective. I love Vegas & gambling... But, the slot machines pretend that I'm slightly winning so I'll spend more money. That works well on me;) But, with the luck potions, I don't have any "slight winning" to encourage me to spend more:(

I think it's probably a matter of preference & personality as to whether someone likes the luck potions or not.

As Futumush explained above, you do get rerolls 25% of the time, but you only see the Got Lucky text if you got a reroll, and that reroll resulted in a better item. So if you get a green or something, even if the elixer procs, you only have a small chance of that reroll resulting in a rarer drop. Since you only see the result if the reroll is better than the initial roll, you only see the reroll a fraction of the 25% of the time the elixer procs.

Furrawn
08-21-2010, 01:22 PM
As Futumush explained above, you do get rerolls 25% of the time, but you only see the Got Lucky text if you got a reroll, and that reroll resulted in a better item. So if you get a green or something, even if the elixer procs, you only have a small chance of that reroll resulting in a rarer drop. Since you only see the result if the reroll is better than the initial roll, you only see the reroll a fraction of the 25% of the time the elixer procs.

Right. But out of eight potions, my reroll fraction was ONE.
Lol seriously:D

A lot of people are very happy with the luck potions. I don't have a problem with them. I just choose not to use them. For me, if I buy a potion I expect to see some result during its single use. That's my preference and it's why I'm not a good person to use the luck potions.

Yardsalez
08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
The luck potions are only useful in plasma. Most of the time you will get at least 2 rerolls in plasma pyramid mostly anywhere else they are useless

kavanah
08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
The way it factors is just too marginal. I spent over 120k yesterday trying to get a lance and I got maybe 2 rerolls out of nearly 90+ potions.

Royce
08-21-2010, 01:57 PM
The way it factors is just too marginal. I spent over 120k yesterday trying to get a lance and I got maybe 2 rerolls out of nearly 90+ potions.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out how much it will help in a case like lance farming. When you use a luck pot, you have a 25% of basically getting 2 rolls and keeping the better drop. (Ruling out the almost impossible chance that you roll a pink and rerol another if that's even possible) this means for 4 runs in map 4, you get 5 chances of getting the lance, rather than the usual 4. If 1 extra drop chance is worth 6k over 4 runs to you, then buy the elixer.

kavanah
08-21-2010, 03:19 PM
It's actually pretty easy to figure out how much it will help in a case like lance farming. When you use a luck pot, you have a 25% of basically getting 2 rolls and keeping the better drop. (Ruling out the almost impossible chance that you roll a pink and rerol another if that's even possible) this means for 4 runs in map 4, you get 5 chances of getting the lance, rather than the usual 4. If 1 extra drop chance is worth 6k over 4 runs to you, then buy the elixer.

You're basing this off of a strict 1 out of 4 times you will actually get a reroll. That's not the case as you know. You can do 100 runs with 100 potions and never hit a reroll. It's possible, highly unlikely, just like 2 out of 90 is highly unlikely, it happened to me. And in those 2 times, I didn't get a purp or if I did I didn't reroll high enough for a pink =P

Furrawn
08-21-2010, 03:39 PM
You're basing this off of a strict 1 out of 4 times you will actually get a reroll. That's not the case as you know. You can do 100 runs with 100 potions and never hit a reroll. It's possible, highly unlikely, just like 2 out of 90 is highly unlikely, it happened to me. And in those 2 times, I didn't get a purp or if I did I didn't reroll high enough for a pink =P

Yes... This makes it a huge waste of money since you paid for something that didn't work. If you buy a luck potion then there should be a reroll one out of four times or if u buy more, the rerolls should average out- but they don't come out near that. At least for me:( My experience was like Kavanah's except I stopped using them much sooner.

Maybe the luck potion averages out so that one needs luck for it to even work :p lol

Royce
08-21-2010, 03:39 PM

You do have a 25% chance of a reroll. It's just that the reroll is null if you don't roll a better item, which happens more than 50% of the time since on average the second item is likely to be equal to or less rare than the first item. The fact remains, that looking for a specific pink, you will get an average of 5 chances on 4 runs using elixers each time.

Furrawn
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
You do have a 25% chance of a reroll. It's just that the reroll is null if you don't roll a better item, which happens more than 50% of the time since on average the second item is likely to be equal to or less rare than the first item. The fact remains, that looking for a specific pink, you will get an average of 5 chances on 4 runs using elixers each time.

Ok. Three potions bought back to back. Used on bosses and a few rooms that dropped loot also. 30 items are dropped for the potion holder. They don't get a single reroll that shows in the window.

According to the above-
There should be 7.5 rerolls
With 3.75 resulting in something showing up in the chat window.

Yet, it's ZERO.

How is the potion working?
I'm not being difficult- I just don't understand:(

Royce
08-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I think maybe you guys just have bad (terrible?) luck. I'm seeing the "feeling lucky..." thing show up just about the expected 1 out of 4 times.

haroldiv
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM
so, i have put an embarrassing amount of time and gold into farming with these potions..... I have to say while i really do appreciate the gesture from the devs on this, i probably will not be using these again. the odds are just too high for a low return. not a single pink, and only 1 purple. i am not arguing that the math is wrong it just doesnt do enough.

Thanks for listening devs, you know we all appreciate it, i just feel personally there should be a much larger increase on loot chance. If not thats cool, im still gonna love the game and buy other elixirs that are totally worth it!

Royce
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm actually happy that they work exactly as well as they do. It's a good way for rich folks to gamble away their gold and maybe pick up a rare item. If they did much more it would just be too much of a rich get richer type of thing.

Futumsh
08-21-2010, 05:16 PM
You could also just consider it as, on average, you get whatever you're trying to get 12.5% more quickly. If that's worth it to you, buy 'em, if it isn't, don't.