PDA

View Full Version : The reason why the 71 Elite vanity looks like it does

NECROREAPER
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Aloha kākou,

In lieu of all the complaints of how the new 71 Vanity looks, I decided to give you guys a little history and reasoning of why STS choose that design for the vanity.

As many of you know, I live in Hawai'i. Now you may be saying, "haha, thats cool idc," or "aww I'm jelly," but I am also Hawaiian, and this helm is based upon something from my culture (and no, not all people from Hawai'i are Hawaiian. Itʻs not like how someone from California is Californian, there is an actual race, a people of aboriginal descent from Hawai'i who have Hawaiian blood; I am in that category).

The 71 vanity is based upon the Mahiole, or Hawaiian Feather Helmet, and were only worn by the highest ali'i (chiefs). Wearing one showed you were of the highest rank, and could even mean that some people couldn't even look at your shadow lest they wished to be punished by death. Here's what a Mahiole looks like:

http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/2/3/4/casque-mahiole-258432.jpg

Now I realize that it does look similar to Roman styled helms, but keep in mind, Hawai'i is on the other side of the globe from Rome and is isolated in the middle of the Pacific ocean with no western contact until the 1700s, so this design is all Hawaiian. The colors, yellow and green, were chosen because in old Hawai'i, those colors were extremely uncommon in Mahiole, or any feather adornment. There were only a few breeds of birds on the islands that had such colors, and when Hawaiians did capture the birds for their prized feathers, they'd only take one or two feathers rather than taking all of them and potentially killing the bird, meaning that it took literally thousands upon thousands of birds just to make one helmet. Because of this, anyone wearing green or yellow was of extreme importance and royalty and was not to be taken lightly.

A lot of the yellow used in the feather items were taken from this bird, the ʻŌʻō, which is now extinct due to predators and hunting introduced by Haole:

http://ntbg.org/gifts/uploads/prod_oo.JPG

Here are Ali'i wearing feather items which signify their importance:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3002/2866180744_7ce30825cb_z.jpg

Anyway, the point of this thread was to get you guys educated on the reasoning behind why STS chose this design for the new 71 vanity. I, for one, like it, its a cool representation of my people, my culture, and my history, all in a game that I love to play. If you have something negative to say about it, be mindful that you're not just bashing on STS, but you're bashing on a culture, MY culture, and that is highly unappreciated.

Mahalo for your time, a hui hou.

-PK

Elitephonix
06-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Nice nice, I was wondering why they had that helm as cap vanity.

Subscriber
06-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Woah it looks just like it, haha that's amazing and yes it does remind me of the Rome times but now Hawaii. :) I think it's cool how they only take 2 feathers from the bird instead of all of them in order to keep the bird alive. That's something I've never heard of and it's very neat.

Lowlyspy
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a feeling people are going to shut up about not liking it now, strictly because it's you Necro. Ty for the history lesson ^_^

FluffNStuff
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
That is actually pretty cool. Can people complain about this one also so I can buy one?

NECROREAPER
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Woah it looks just like it, haha that's amazing and yes it does remind me of the Rome times but now Hawaii. :) I think it's cool how they only take 2 feathers from the bird instead of all of them in order to keep the bird alive. That's something I've never heard of and it's very neat.

It was to ensure the survival of not only the bird, but the species as a whole so future generations could utilize them as their Kupuna (ancestors) did. Hawaiians were very ahead of their time in conservation of nature, its something that conservationists now look at for help on how to save our resources.

Back
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Good read. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

WoundedEagle
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
I actually enjoyed reading this. It makes my like the new Vanity Cap, so thanks for this bro.

Chickenrunnn
06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
AWESOME :O!! It so looks like the Original !! Great job sts :]! ANd Thanks Necro for sharing your culture ^^'

slaveleia
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
That is actually pretty cool. Can people complain about this one also so I can buy one?

Hahaha lolol good one on the serious side it was cool to learn about that.

I still like the Volcanut...too. I need it.

CodyBearr
06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure they had this helm ready as a dotd or something because it came out pretty quickly after all the volcano nonsense

I still like the new one too but prefer the volcano

TANKKAAR
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for sharing ... Totally gave me a new perspective and fondness for the elite vanity:)

Subscriber
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
It was to ensure the survival of not only the bird, but the species as a whole so future generations could utilize them as their Kupuna (ancestors) did. Hawaiians were very ahead of their time in conservation of nature, its something that conservationists now look at for help on how to save our resources.

Ahh, that's very cool I never expected them to be so loving to nature. All I know is that I like the type of culture they have and this just enhance that "like" just a bit more. ;) Thanks.

Moongem
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Nice :D I never knew that before :D

thecrankybearsam
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks Necro, this is really interesting! Hawaii seems to have some very cool stuff! I wonder how STS thought of it.... :)

Subscriber
06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Wait, Necro! You must know why I got two then!
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x468/ILovePhotobucketSoMuch/3fefa123.jpg

NECROREAPER
06-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Probably cause you were the first to 71 ( I think), hahahaha

AveFenix
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Love the explanation and how it was presented!

Awesome!

McBain
06-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks Necro, interesting read.

GALiXENTOR
06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
How did you get 2 O.O?

CrimsonTider
06-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Can you autograph a picture for me?? ;)

Seriously, I love learning about cultures and history and you have now validated my reason to grind for this new helm. Thanks bro!

Sryyoulose
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Sweet man!

Whirlzap
06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
How did you get 2 O.O?
He probably had one and then a Dev thought he didn't and then got another one placed in his inventory.

Silverpegasus
06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Well, if the new 71 cap is based on Hawaiian feather helmet and not a recycled centurion helm... And no more centurion look-alike shield and armor in the coming level caps, guess i can take that...
Though the in-game helmet version do resemble the centurion helm more...

Subscriber
06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
He probably had one and then a Dev thought he didn't and then got another one placed in his inventory.

I got them at the same time. -.-"

NECROREAPER
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Well, if the new 71 cap is based on Hawaiian feather helmet and not a recycled centurion helm... And no more centurion look-alike shield and armor in the coming level caps, guess i can take that...
Though the in-game helmet version do resemble the centurion helm more...

Well you gotta realize that it's easier to re-texture/re-skin an existing item rather than making something from scratch. They did have to make the interior 'x's though which must've required some retooling

StompArtist
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Awesome post... no offense but do they make tourist versions? My kids would have a blast with these :-P

Swimmingstar
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Lol!

Thegreenduck
06-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Totally amazed me, for once I actually kept reading instead of rushing thru it :)

It seems this DLC has the perfect theme for you ;)

Mahalo Necro!
A hui hou!

LwMark
06-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Should of made it black with a pumpkin instead of a ruby in the middle :p

Dark Avenger
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
very awesome. thanks for the information. i love learning about other cultures. and im glad they chose this :)

Vuvuzaylor
06-24-2012, 09:20 AM
thanks man! Useful explanation about the idea to give out that helm!!!

LADYHADASSA
06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Necro,

Very well written explanation of culture! This is the first post i have read here in a long time that places knowlege of somthing of use in rl. Thank you it has been an honornto read of your culture. Pl is a large group of many cultures there is so much to learn from one another.

Thank you again
Amazing job

This post should have a sticky :)

Jugernugetx
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
@Lady it is stickied!:)
@Necro well explanation! I had no idea it was a hawaiian thing. Mantle of humania is the volconut?
Nice name!
~Jugernuget

Paladinslaya
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
How did you get 2 O.O?

Capped two toons and stashed one and went on Sub and received it.

Subscriber
06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Capped two toons and stashed one and went on Sub and received it.

I only have one toon capped. -.-"
They're not stashable.
Do you guys even read?

NECROREAPER
06-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I only have one toon capped. -.-"
They're not stashable.
Do you guys even read?

Sorry I didn't read what you wrote, could you sum it up for me?

Subscriber
06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry I didn't read what you wrote, could you sum it up for me?
Not you NECROREAPER, why would you even think that I would accuse YOU of all people to not read?

NECROREAPER
06-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Not you NECROREAPER, why would you even think that I would accuse YOU of all people to not read?

Bahaha I was joking, mocking all the people you're accusing of not reading :D

Subscriber
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Bahaha I was joking, mocking all the people you're accusing of not reading :D

Haha ok, honestly if people read, they would know a lot more. ;)

Jig
06-25-2012, 07:39 AM
All I have to say is, Amazing. I love Hawaii :)

Jcyee
06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Ooh. Cool

zentradi
06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Cool Post, brah. Sup? Why you get sovereignty plates on your truck as well? haha! Plenny people get hanabadda coming out about all this. Sheesh. K-DEN!

Aloha kākou,

In lieu of all the complaints of how the new 71 Vanity looks, I decided to give you guys a little history and reasoning of why STS choose that design for the vanity.

As many of you know, I live in Hawai'i. Now you may be saying, "haha, thats cool idc," or "aww I'm jelly," but I am also Hawaiian, and this helm is based upon something from my culture (and no, not all people from Hawai'i are Hawaiian. Itʻs not like how someone from California is Californian, there is an actual race, a people of aboriginal descent from Hawai'i who have Hawaiian blood; I am in that category).

The 71 vanity is based upon the Mahiole, or Hawaiian Feather Helmet, and were only worn by the highest ali'i (chiefs). Wearing one showed you were of the highest rank, and could even mean that some people couldn't even look at your shadow lest they wished to be punished by death. Here's what a Mahiole looks like:

http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/2/3/4/casque-mahiole-258432.jpg

Now I realize that it does look similar to Roman styled helms, but keep in mind, Hawai'i is on the other side of the globe from Rome and is isolated in the middle of the Pacific ocean with no western contact until the 1700s, so this design is all Hawaiian. The colors, yellow and green, were chosen because in old Hawai'i, those colors were extremely uncommon in Mahiole, or any feather adornment. There were only a few breeds of birds on the islands that had such colors, and when Hawaiians did capture the birds for their prized feathers, they'd only take one or two feathers rather than taking all of them and potentially killing the bird, meaning that it took literally thousands upon thousands of birds just to make one helmet. Because of this, anyone wearing green or yellow was of extreme importance and royalty and was not to be taken lightly.

A lot of the yellow used in the feather items were taken from this bird, the ʻŌʻō, which is now extinct due to predators and hunting introduced by Haole:

http://ntbg.org/gifts/uploads/prod_oo.JPG

Here are Ali'i wearing feather items which signify their importance:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3002/2866180744_7ce30825cb_z.jpg

Anyway, the point of this thread was to get you guys educated on the reasoning behind why STS chose this design for the new 71 vanity. I, for one, like it, its a cool representation of my people, my culture, and my history, all in a game that I love to play. If you have something negative to say about it, be mindful that you're not just bashing on STS, but you're bashing on a culture, MY culture, and that is highly unappreciated.

-PK

NECROREAPER
06-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Cool Post, brah. Sup? Why you get sovereignty plates on your truck as well? haha! Plenny people get hanabadda coming out about all this. Sheesh. K-DEN!

I wish. I get the Kamehameha Schools sticker and alumni plate and put my hand on my heart for Hawaiʻi Ponoʻī

Auraiiii

Pakax
06-26-2012, 08:41 AM
well, that definitely increases the attractiveness of that helm exponentially for me. Bar the no stats thing which means I am still wearing cop set, I am a lot more comfy with design. Still like the volcano tho.

Overkillzzz
06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I would of bought hawaii airplane tickets til i saw they were like $1200 O.o

NECROREAPER
06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
I would of bought hawaii airplane tickets til i saw they were like $1200 O.o

Fly Hawaiian!

springtime
06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
The background story is a very nice one and sheds light on the choice...however, we have a helm. I feel it discredits the lvl 56 helm that I worked so hard to get. We can't wear both at the same time. Also, i thought the elite armor was supposed to blend together and look special. Right now nothing goes together. It seems like to many different people worked on that project and didnt consult each other. Just my opinion.

NECROREAPER
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
The background story is a very nice one and sheds light on the choice...however, we have a helm. I feel it discredits the lvl 56 helm that I worked so hard to get. We can't wear both at the same time. Also, i thought the elite armor was supposed to blend together and look special. Right now nothing goes together. It seems like to many different people worked on that project and didnt consult each other. Just my opinion.

The past three elite vanities made a set together, while this new helm is the start of a new set, so they aren't designed to work/match with each other.

Petrichor
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Mahalo nui loa Kepano :o

Otukura
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Mahalo nui loa Kepano :o

Hi.

Everyone'sFavMage
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice sig!

Otukura
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice sig!

You too.

Everyone'sFavMage
06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Nou

Petrichor
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi.

well hi there

Kixxler
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Hawaiians have sick clothing.

Dragonrider023
06-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Interesting explanation of cap vanity, thanks necro! Utica cool to see Hawaii culture in game! Don't u?

springtime
06-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Oh I see Ty

Register
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow Necro, that's pretty cool!

Phoenixking
07-02-2012, 10:11 PM
The hat looks better on a human then on a bird bear or elf in my opinion, not trying to disrespect

Rauekat
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
wow never have seen tht many thanks in my life lol.....very interesting though!

kallima
07-10-2012, 02:57 AM

-PK

That was indeed a fascinating glimpse into your culture and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I have to disagree with the last part. Just because some dislike the design doesn't mean we are bashing your culture. I can dislike Chinese food but still hold an immense amount of respect for the Chinese people and culture, it boils down to preference. Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren are two of the most iconic "American" design houses out there but if I dislike them it doesn't mean I'm bashing on the "Americana" aesthetic, it's just not my aesthetic. I can understand your need to explain and defend the design, but there is a fine line between preference and prejudice. Just throwing that out there.

The ONLY reason I'm putting this out there is that because you are a forum regular, people may be intimidated to say anything out of fear of being brandished a "hater," or intolerant in general.

Again, much respect and love.

NECROREAPER
07-10-2012, 07:06 AM
That was indeed a fascinating glimpse into your culture and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I have to disagree with the last part. Just because some dislike the design doesn't mean we are bashing your culture. I can dislike Chinese food but still hold an immense amount of respect for the Chinese people and culture, it boils down to preference. Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren are two of the most iconic "American" design houses out there but if I dislike them it doesn't mean I'm bashing on the "Americana" aesthetic, it's just not my aesthetic. I can understand your need to explain and defend the design, but there is a fine line between preference and prejudice. Just throwing that out there.

The ONLY reason I'm putting this out there is that because you are a forum regular, people may be intimidated to say anything out of fear of being brandished a "hater," or intolerant in general.

Again, much respect and love.

Always and point taken. Does the phrase "If you have something negative to say about it," make any difference to what you said?

kallima
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Always and point taken. Does the phrase "If you have something negative to say about it," make any difference to what you said?

...then don't say anything at all? No, if you are implying that there should be no criticism period, then it doesn't change a thing - constructive criticism is crucial for progress and improvement. And if you create a product, ASK people to give you honest feedback and also can control how that feedback is disseminated, then get insulted because people provided negative (albeit honest) feedback - why not just clarify that all you want is good feedback?

If you took my post as negative, that was never my intent. I saw a later thread that constructively criticized the design and the majority of people just replied with a link to your thread. Is that how the flow of open communication should be received?

In today's politically correct world, even the slightest accusation that someone is "racially/culturally" insensitive is enough to silence them. I was simply saying if someone doesn't like the design then it does NOT mean they are bashing your culture.

NECROREAPER
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
...then don't say anything at all? No, if you are implying that there should be no criticism period, then it doesn't change a thing - constructive criticism is crucial for progress and improvement. And if you create a product, ASK people to give you honest feedback and also can control how that feedback is disseminated, then get insulted because people provided negative (albeit honest) feedback - why not just clarify that all you want is good feedback?

If you took my post as negative, that was never my intent. I saw a later thread that constructively criticized the design and the majority of people just replied with a link to your thread. Is that how the flow of open communication should be received?

In today's politically correct world, even the slightest accusation that someone is "racially/culturally" insensitive is enough to silence them. I was simply saying if someone doesn't like the design then it does NOT mean they are bashing your culture.

Understood, and I didn't take your post negatively, and no offense was taken.

Perhaps I should rephrase that last sentence.

AHarvey13
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Interesting... Always wondered what the vanity was based on.

RioMage
07-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Learn something new every day.

Otahaibab
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
wow....
I have just been motivated to cap because now i know the reason i want to be of the highest rank!

Cruis
07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Insteresting!

... It's still ugly...

Unxtoxic
07-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Hawaii pride lol

cookiez
07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Sweet:)

Imsebastiaanl
08-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Lol nice:)

McBain
08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I certainly appreciate the background behind the new elite helm, but the volcano helm was still better IMO, and if I'm not mistaken volcanoes are a pretty important part of Hawaiian culture as well.

BRING BACK THE VOLCONUT!!!!1

Anisaabecad
08-19-2012, 01:33 AM
I respect this and really like the idea of the helm maybe different colors be better ;D

Nihiliste
08-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I regret getting 71. But then again, they took two days to make this.

razurblade
08-21-2012, 10:18 PM
awesome u are one smart pumpkin

Subscriber
08-22-2012, 01:04 AM
awesome u are one smart pumpkin

Lol. . .

NECROREAPER
08-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Lol. . .

Trolol..lol...lololol?

Scar9612
08-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Loved your post :)

Running Pear
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm glad you posted this kind of thing, being from Hawaii, its really nice for people to acknowledge the culture!

NECROREAPER
08-26-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm glad you posted this kind of thing, being from Hawaii, its really nice for people to acknowledge the culture!

You live Hawai‘i?

Running Pear
08-28-2012, 03:11 PM
You live Hawai‘i?

I looked at the forum rules so I hope I don't get banned if I reveal the following...

Necro, yes I do live in Hawaii. I'm not telling any more than that...

Zeus
08-28-2012, 07:38 PM
I looked at the forum rules so I hope I don't get banned if I reveal the following...

Necro, yes I do live in Hawaii. I'm not telling any more than that...

Hawaii is a small island, if he was a stalker, he'd find you anyways. ;)

Running Pear
08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Hawaii is a small island, if he was a stalker, he'd find you anyways. ;)

Lol true. But Hawaii is and island and Hawaii is a chain of islands. The big island Is Hawaii. (it's all confusing lol) so yea, I could be on any one of the islands of Hawaii! It took me a while to learn that the big island was actually called Hawaii!

Jblazer
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Good,helpful thread Necroreaper:)I had thought it was supposed to be like a bridge before seeing this lol.

slaveleia
09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I certainly appreciate the background behind the new elite helm, but the volcano helm was still better IMO, and if I'm not mistaken volcanoes are a pretty important part of Hawaiian culture as well.

BRING BACK THE VOLCONUT!!!!1

Oh yeah I stand by this too everybody knows...talked to Sam about it, I hope he still uses it in the new campaign Blacksmoke Mountain....would be a perfect fit! I wouldn't mind having both the Monarch & Volcanut actually.

dropinbombz
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I did not care for the helm but after reading this I respect it and might use it lol death to those who look at me!

thecrankybearsam
09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
hey just a random reply, shouldn't necro's join date be october? If not, youre the snowmanking not thepumpkinking

NECROREAPER
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
hey just a random reply, shouldn't necro's join date be october? If not, youre the snowmanking not thepumpkinking

My forum join date was December 2010, but I started playing PL on June 26, 2010.

WoundedEagle
09-18-2012, 09:53 PM
My forum join date was December 2010, but I started playing PL on June 26, 2010.

You're alive!

NECROREAPER
09-19-2012, 12:21 AM
You're alive!

Lies

Rushordive
09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for these cool facts on the helm. I still think they should shrink the size on mage tho :p

Ghostes
09-25-2012, 05:18 PM
So awesome:)

Leftro
10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Really cool!

Hawaiianherk
10-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Howzit Hawaiian I enjoyed seeing our culture shared with the world. I was wondering around humaria and noticed a lot of our culture there. I am also half Hawaiian and the rest is mixed plate.

Just was bouncing around the forums saw this and had to give you props for the effort and explanations into the Hawaiian culture.

Alohas:emmersed:

guesswho
10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Still such an ugly helm that after i got it i really did dlete it. Eyezsore. People pay to get to level 71. Literally pay $$ they worked for in real life. So in my opinion at least reward them with a decent looking vanity for which they worked for. Not hating on ur culture just stating how majority of people feel about the helm. Have u noticed how 95+/100 lv71s never wear the helm? Yep...

NECROREAPER
10-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Still such an ugly helm that after i got it i really did dlete it. Eyezsore. People pay to get to level 71. Literally pay $$ they worked for in real life. So in my opinion at least reward them with a decent looking vanity for which they worked for. Not hating on ur culture just stating how majority of people feel about the helm. Have u noticed how 95+/100 lv71s never wear the helm? Yep...

You're complaining to the wrong person dude

Siejo
10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey you! Pumpkin head! Where have you been?!

NECROREAPER
10-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey you! Pumpkin head! Where have you been?!

Dead

Ubernewber
10-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Lol because u hit 71 first :P

NECROREAPER
10-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Lol because u hit 71 first :P

Me? I'm still lvl 65 ._.