PDA

View Full Version : **Healthy Legends - Water**

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 10:05 AM
It makes up more than 90% of the earth. It is the main environment for many animals. We use it to generate electricity, as transportation, and to sustain life. It is water.

I had to ponder my first topic for a few days. With rising temperatures of the summer and all the outdoor activites we do during this time of year, I felt we needed to dive into (literally and figuratively) this topic. It may not be as exciting as sone of the other topics we will discuss, but I feel it is essential our community understands the importance of this vital life substance.

The Chemical Makeup.

In each of these posts, I will add a little "science" introduction to give an educational foundation to what we are dealing with. Water is made upbof 3 molecules: 2 hydrogen (H), one oxygen (O). Thus, we get the famous chemical makeup H2O. Water can be formed tbrough condenseation. This process occurs when there is enough heat in a given atmosphere to produce moisture to fall from that atmosphere and collect in a given area. This is is how rain is generally formed. (I understand the process is much more complicated but I choose to keep it simple for this discussion.) Water can also come from other objects, such as snow and icebergs (this is point of origin for many rivers, streams, and even the oceans.)

Why we need it.

Now that we have a general idea of what water is and where it comes from, we need to focus on the purpoae ofbthe thread: Why do we need it?

We all know we need water hydration. When you are not hydrated your body cannot function, especially at this time of year. Our bodies are made of approximately 75% water, so when you lose it through work, exercise, or heat, your body needs it replinished. The human body is remarkable in it's ability to maintain and replace vital elements needed to survive. However, it cannot reproduce water and needs us to aid it.

A lack of hydration can cause you to feel fatigued, both mentally and physically, and can also slow other bodily functions, such as digestion and excretion (bowell movements.) Lack of hydration can also lead to cramps. Did you know that those cramps you get while watching tv or lying in the bed is caused from a lack of water? That's right! That cramp in your little toe while grinding to 71/26/46 is due to you not taking in enough water.

It should also be understood the importance of water while swimming. During these summer months, a lot of us spend a great amount of time in the pool, at the water parks, going to the beach, and diving in the river. Even though you are surrounded by water to keep you cool, your body can STILL sweat. Swimming is just like any other physical activity: you get hot and through that heat, you do sweat. As you sweat, your body loses water and you become dehydrated. You may say "Crim, I don't feel hot and sweaty." Of course you don't, your body is surrounded by water which cools you. It is important to understand how this feeling of "coolness" dis not an indicator of hydration and can be dangerous. You know that cramp youvgot playing PL? Imagine that same cramp while swimming, especially in water over your head.

When should we take it in?

Water consumption is simple: 64oz per day. That is eight 8oz glasses throughout the day. Before you say, "That is a lot!!", how many of you can go to the gas station or your local fast food restaurant and order that large, 32oz drink with your meal?? Drinking the daily requirements for water will also help to supress your appetite, killing manyvof those after and late night cravings. Yes, you can get water from fruits, vegetables, and other foods. However, these are small in comparison to what you body needs daily.

Conclusion

Water. We need it in many different ways, but consumption is the most important. Be sure to get those 8 glasses a day and keep yourself hydrate in this heat!

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below. I only ask that your comments/questions are restricted to this topic. Discussion which takes away from the intended usefulness of the thread will be reported.

Remember, this is the beginning. As I am able to gauge the interest and needs from the community, the threads will become more/less detailed based on the topic.

Thanks for the support thus far!

Xionskull
06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Does water, as you stated in the beginning, cover over 90% of the earths surface or just the whole egg shaped earth itself?

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Does water, as you stated in the beginning, cover over 90% of the earths surface or just the whole egg shaped earth itself?

Isn't that the same thing? The surface of the earth is covered by 90% water. Remember, water can come in more forms than just liquid. ;)

Zaonabiuibil
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
+5! Can't wait to see more tips :) And, out of that 90 so % of water on Earth, how much of that is fresh water that humans can drink straight from the body of water they obtained it from (ie, not salt water or muddy pond water). I believe a little less than 1%?

Walkhardd
06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Is 64oz a day the min. Amount? I've always heard you should drink half your body weight in ounces.

also, just curious to hear your take on things like gatorade, or vitamin water. Fine substitution? Or still need regular water?

stank
06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Thats some good info bro. I know a few people that just drink soda all day every day. Terrible stuff. I myself drink about a gallon and a half a day. Probably more. Thats just drinking, not counting fruits , vegetables and other foods.
I drink that amount because i spend 2 hours a day 6 days a week at the gym. I use some pretty beastly pre and post workout drinks.
@walk. I dont know the nutritional facts of vitamin water or gaterade but for me good old fashion water seems better. Those other drinks seem to still leave me thirsty

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Is 64oz a day the min. Amount? I've always heard you should drink half your body weight in ounces.

also, just curious to hear your take on things like gatorade, or vitamin water. Fine substitution? Or still need regular water?

1. 64 oz i a minimum. I personally drink more because I love to work outside and I am very active. The minimum is for the average individul who is moderately to minimally active.

2. Gatorade, Propel, Vitamin Water, etc., are useful only in an active setting. These drinks contain high amounts of Potassium and Sodium. These are salts and salts, when in excess in your body, will actually leave you feeling dehydrated. Water is the best. I do use a drink mix called Accelerade after my bike rides. It contains much less sodium than Gatorade and adds protien to help aid in protien synthesis. (I will go into this in later threads.)

Hope that helps.

Thats some good info bro. I know a few people that just drink soda all day every day. Terrible stuff. I myself drink about a gallon and a half a day. Probably more. Thats just drinking, not counting fruits , vegetables and other foods.
I drink that amount because i spend 2 hours a day 6 days a week at the gym. I use some pretty beastly pre and post workout drinks.
@walk. I dont know the nutritional facts of vitamin water or gaterade but for me good old fashion water seems better. Those other drinks seem to still leave me thirsty

Thanks bro! As I said above, I drink a ton of water too. I have a 32 oz cup which I fill first thing in the morning and drink it while taking my vitamins. On days I am lazy, I will drink less. Something people don't understand is that you CAN drink too much water. It is very rare but some individuals can actually get water poisoning (the medical term leaves me atm) when they consume more water than their body can filter out. This is where body awareness comes to play.

Noodleleg
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

You actually get a lot of water from food itself. I mean... Check WATERmelon out =)!

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
You actually get a lot of water from food itself. I mean... Check WATERmelon out =)!

Actually you don't. Please re-read my thread. Granted, there are foods (especially fruits) which contain alot of water in them. However, very few people eat fruits/vegetables all day long. If you don't believe me, buy a bag of oranges and try to juice them. You will not be happy with the results.

Glad
06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
The only thing I drink is water and milk. Oh and sweet tea from McDonald's!

stank
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Funny you say that. Ive done it. Took me 6 oranges to make a glass. I peeled them and put in blender. Thickest glass of orange juice ever. Tasted great tho. Thats when i realized why a gallon of orange is $4.50. Also probably depends on type and size

Mothwing
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
+137840917908417187234701287!

Love it! I got my first glass down! :D

wvhills
06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
good post! next you should compare the nutritional value of water to that of soda.

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
good post! next you should compare the nutritional value of water to that of soda.

I will be doing a kind of "empty calories" thread down the road. Will address that at this point.

Windwaiker
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
What's better than soda or even diet soda? Diet water!

Xionskull
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM

Isn't that the same thing? The surface of the earth is covered by 90% water. Remember, water can come in more forms than just liquid. ;)

Oh yes ur right! Ty. I guess I was more thinking about the ocean.

CrimsonTider
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Correction:

Based on the source, the earth is covered by 70-75% water. When reading my notes, I confused this with the fact that the Earth's water source is 96% salt water.

Thanks to SPO for pointing this out in my blog.

Dynastu
06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, I NEVER drink 64 oz. a day... I guess I need to o.O

I get bad migraines all the time because of dehydration.

Phoenixking
06-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow, I NEVER drink 64 oz. a day... I guess I need to o.O

I get bad migraines all the time because of dehydration.
So. . . That was the problem. . . Since like forever lol

Jblazer
06-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Good to know someone is looking out for us ingame and out.Keepp it up,I look forward to seeing more.:)

Zaonabiuibil
06-30-2012, 04:19 PM
What's better than soda or even diet soda? Diet water!

Diet soda is pretty much just as bad as regular..

Jblazer
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Diet soda is pretty much just as bad as regular..
ikr so when people make excuses that they can drink diet soda on there diet,not true xD