PDA

View Full Version : Voice Recognition - An enhancement for the in-game chat

Skeletonlord
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I logged in game earlier today and found out that Pocket Legends has not adopted the "Voice Recognition" feature. This, allows you to speak a phrase or word into your smartphone or tablet and the game will automatically write your message into the chat menu. This would be a really good idea for players who often type a lot of words or characters. I know that we have a save message area (Loadout), but you are manually typing it all out, while with voice recognition you can speak into your phone and it comes out for you.

This will also be very useful for foreign players that only speak a certain language.

What do you think of my idea? Extremely sorry if already suggested, but I feel it needs a mention,

Cheers, Skeletonlord (Your friendly player)

ImHawk
06-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Actually....
on my samsung galaxy S2 skyrocket...
it already has the feature on the device( not PL itslelf)..
This feature is implemented in the android keyboard..

Ardon
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Voice recognition is built into most android keyboards. Works perfect on SwiftKey 3

Skeletonlord
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM
So android has this feature, but let's talk iOS. I am perfectly sure iOS does not have this. Maybe in general, but I've never seen it for Pocket Legends. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ardon
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
So android has this feature, but let's talk iOS. I am perfectly sure iOS does not have this. Maybe in general, but I've never seen it for Pocket Legends. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Its something which would have to be implemented into the ios keyboard. I doubt STS has the software to put it into the game. Talk to Apple about voice recognition.

Zaonabiuibil
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
My iPhone 4S has voice recognition, not for PL, but in general yes. So Apple DOES have it...

Dragonrider023
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Ohhhhh that would be nice!

Mothwing
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Can we not -_- I'd like my favorite game not to go all high-tech with these "useful" gadgets. What the heck would you need it for anyway?

Mothwing
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Ohhhhh that would be nice!

Please list the situations that you would use it in. I don't see how this could possibly help my life, in wait, a videogame?!

Airity
06-29-2012, 08:31 PM
The voice recognition for Itouch 4th gen is horrible. The only IOS device this would work on is the Iphone4S

Reddwing
06-29-2012, 08:46 PM
The voice recognition for Itouch 4th gen is horrible. The only IOS device this would work on is the Iphone4S
If you download the app Dragon Dictation or Dragon Go you'll see voice recognition COULD work really well on an iPod touch! I don't think voice recognition should really be added because typing is a good skill to have and get better at.

Airity
06-29-2012, 08:51 PM
If you download the app Dragon Dictation or Dragon Go you'll see voice recognition COULD work really well on an iPod touch! I don't think voice recognition should really be added because typing is a good skill to have and get better at.

I'll try it out... The voice control (from holding down the home button) doesn't work very well on my device, along with the dictionary,com voice search.

Otukura
06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Skeletonlord (Your friendly player)

No kidding!

JaytB
06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Voice recognition works fine in PL on my iPad (latest version).

ImHawk
06-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree with Moth..
I personally dont have trouble just typing it all up...
lolz..
If I use voice recogiton...people would think I'm crazy talking to myself.. 0.o

Skeletonlord
06-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Voice recognition works fine in PL on my iPad (latest version).

What version is that? 5.1.1? That is the newest and I cannot find that setting on my iPod 4G. Is it a iPad-only thing?

Airity
06-30-2012, 09:33 AM
What version is that? 5.1.1? That is the newest and I cannot find that setting on my iPod 4G. Is it a iPad-only thing?

Hold down the home button for about 3 seconds then release.

Woops, I'm thinking of voice commands in general for the Itouch4G, not in PL :).

JaytB
06-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Yeah, it's 5.1.1 and only works on latest iPad and iPhone 4S.

On iPad there's a little microphone button in the lower left on my keyboard. I just need to press it and say what I need. It doesn't work very well for me though, cause I'm no native English speaker. It doesn't work too well with my accent.

I'll post a screenshot in a bit, I'm using my iPhone 4 at the moment.

Edit: screenshots below...

Following screenshot shows what you get when you press the microphone button...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/168dedc3.jpg

Next screenshot shows the purple dots in the text field, meaning it's recognizing what you just said...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/aa72fd94.jpg

ImHawk
06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah, it's 5.1.1 and only works on latest iPad and iPhone 4S.

On iPad there's a little microphone button in the lower left on my keyboard. I just need to press it and say what I need. It doesn't work very well for me though, cause I'm no native English speaker. It doesn't work too well with my accent.

I'll post a screenshot in a bit, I'm using my iPhone 4 at the moment.

Edit: screenshots below...

Following screenshot shows what you get when you press the microphone button...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/168dedc3.jpg

Next screenshot shows the purple dots in the text field, meaning it's recognizing what you just said...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/aa72fd94.jpg

ahhhh... proof proof..
tho.. who really uses this?
I think this is pretty much useless feature ..

Mothwing
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
It would take me half the time to physically use my fingers and type it.

Phoenixking
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM
It's optional

Its not forced

Mothwing
06-30-2012, 01:20 PM
It's optional

Its not forced

I didn't say it was :D I'm just arguing against it.

Phoenixking
06-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I didn't say it was :D I'm just arguing against it.
It's fun to argue, I decided to jump in

Mothwing
06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
It's fun to argue, I decided to jump in

IKR!

XghostzX
06-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I just think players should have the option to use voice chat in game (click on a players avatar, ask them to voice chat, they accept/decline). It would be cool to talk to your close friends.

Then again, it would attract too many creepers.

JaytB
06-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I just think players should have the option to use voice chat in game (click on a players avatar, ask them to voice chat, they accept/decline). It would be cool to talk to your close friends.

Then again, it would attract too many creepers.

Now, THAT would be cool!

Never see that happen in a 13+ game though. No way to auto-mute obscene people, and I can only imagine how big the storage capacity would need to be. Keeping audiologs from that many players for a reasonable amount of time, could require some serious amount of memory. Not to mention how long it would take for STS to scan audiologs of vague, but maybe serious, reports.

Ow well, but one can dream I guess :D

Skeletonlord
07-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks Jay, I mean on my iTouch 4G I do have a "Voice Memo" feature that allows me to record, so I do have a microphone built in. I can use it in general, so there is possibility that we can get this on the iPod. Maybe in a future software update or has Apple denied it?

NECROREAPER
07-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Thanks Jay, I mean on my iTouch 4G I do have a "Voice Memo" feature that allows me to record, so I do have a microphone built in. I can use it in general, so there is possibility that we can get this on the iPod. Maybe in a future software update or has Apple denied it?

Up to Apple, not STS, STS has no control over Apple software.

It's one of their selling pit s to get you to upgrade to a newer model; omit things in a previous generation and label them as innovative in the next. Before any of you Apple fanboys go nuts about what I just said, I'm and Apple fanman too with my iPhone 4S, iPod touches, iPod Photo, iPad 1,2, and 3, my iMac,and soon to be MacBook Air (just to name a few :P)

JaytB
07-01-2012, 03:56 AM

Voice memo is something completely different as compared to voice recognition.

The reason Apple doesn't support voice recognition on older devices is because they lack the hardware and quality microphone to do this properly. I know there are apps that do it just fine with older devices, but Apple makes use of special hardware, only found in newer devices, to make voice recognition as good as they can. Apple wants to ensure the best user experience possible, and older hardware wouldn't be as accurate as newer ones. That's why they decided to only support the latest hardware (iPhone 4S and latest iPad).

The statement above was an official Apple statement, can't remember where I read it though.

Skeletonlord
07-01-2012, 04:08 AM
So, my iPod Touch 4G does not have the software, not the quality microphone needed even though I can use it to speak into? I guess the whole matter doesn't matter.

XghostzX
07-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Now, THAT would be cool!

Never see that happen in a 13+ game though. No way to auto-mute obscene people, and I can only imagine how big the storage capacity would need to be. Keeping audiologs from that many players for a reasonable amount of time, could require some serious amount of memory. Not to mention how long it would take for STS to scan audiologs of vague, but maybe serious, reports.

Ow well, but one can dream I guess :D

Well if you have ever played the game on IOS and I believe Android, the game called Dungeon Hunters (or something?) There's a little microphone button that you can toggle to activate voice chat. I downloaded that game just so I could talk using voice chat to close friends on PL.