PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Buff Needed

Battlegrinder
07-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Rifles need a stat boost or something to get them back to being competitive weapons. Almost all high level characters use either class weapons (rarely) or pistol+shield. Rifles are rarely used, because they can't compete with pistols for DPS and shield use. In my opinion, boosting rifle power would be good thing, bringing some much need diversity to SL. For example, in PL, you have a choice between a number possible weapons in each class. Players can and do use a range of two handed and one handed weapons (I myself tend to use shield + wand or hand-and-a-half swords). DL has weapons with one or two stat versions, but multiple skins, giving each player there own look. SL has pistols and shields being the only weapons used. Rifles need either a boost of some kind to bring them back into use. I'd recommend a boost to damage and hit chance (in the real world, that's why rifles are used) coupled with a moderate armor bonus (say, 25% of a decent shield), while pistols give better boosts (maybe crit and dodge). That way, weapon choice would be a little more tactical and open, and you could tweak weapons to suit your playstyle better.

Exion
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd rather not see that happening..
Coms already can't tank with a shield.. with a rifle they will just stand back at the max range of them wich is further then any other weapon.
Every now and then I encounter one of those rifle wielding coms and they actually prefer to stand in the back row and use opps as shields.
Imo it would even be better to just remove all the rifles..
If anything needs a boost then its the cannons.

PianoWizzy
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd rather not see that happening..
Coms already can't tank with a shield.. with a rifle they will just stand back at the max range of them wich is further then any other weapon.
Every now and then I encounter one of those rifle wielding coms and they actually prefer to stand in the back row and use opps as shields.
Imo it would even be better to just remove all the rifles..
If anything needs a boost then its the cannons.

Gather a low level mob into a small area [maybe 3m radius if possible? all together] and then shoot at them with a cannon. You will see the cannon damage them all at once.

IMO rifles are severely underrated and underappreciated weapons as they have the highest damage in the game. Damage = abilities.

I typically use either a rifle or cannon when assisting low levels for the above reasons.

Battlegrinder
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
IMO rifles are severely underrated and underappreciated weapons as they have the highest damage in the game. Damage = abilities.

Rifles do high damage, but they have a slower fire rate that hurts their DPS. Couple that with most people using shields to boost their armor, and you have the present situation. Personal, I use implants to boost my damage with cannons and Rifle, and use armor implants for pistol as a tanking set. it seems to even everything out overall.

Exion
07-02-2012, 02:17 AM
I know that cannons have splash dmg, It's the only weapon I use on my com.
The cannon is the best agro keeper there is.. the problem is that most coms don't know that because they throw those things away the sec they see the low dmg and dps on those things.
If every com would use a cannon ops and engs would have a lot less to worry about.

Anyway.. back to the horrible rifles.. if those things are going to be boosted in dps they should be lowered in range from 12 to 8 meters to make sure that coms won't be hiding behind the rest of the party like they do now.

Kain Legacy
07-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Or, to fix this issue, just make rifles unavailable to comms, and only for ops, and engs. And then allow for slight modifications.

Battlegrinder
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Or, to fix this issue, just make rifles unavailable to comms, and only for ops, and engs. And then allow for slight modifications.

I'm not wild about the idea of losing rifles for commandos. Like I said earlier, I use rifle + condor implant for single target damage dealing, and I'd hate to lose that ability. I do agree with scaling back the range as a fix for commandos not doing their jobs will wielding it, however. Maybe leave the current rifles to engineers and operatives, and release a commando variant with more damage but a shorter range.

PianoWizzy
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Rifles do high damage, but they have a slower fire rate that hurts their DPS. Couple that with most people using shields to boost their armor, and you have the present situation. Personal, I use implants to boost my damage with cannons and Rifle, and use armor implants for pistol as a tanking set. it seems to even everything out overall.

Well as has been recently discovered by bored people waiting for the update, DPS is a fake stat xD

Zaonabiuibil
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Well as has been recently discovered by bored people waiting for the update, DPS is a fake stat xD

Mhm. I was one of those people. I tried dual wield and nova, and wtf it's the same! Look at that :P

Battlegrinder
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I've never cared about DPS, usually focus on Damage per Shot. What do you mean DPS is a fake stat?

PianoWizzy
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I've never cared about DPS, usually focus on Damage per Shot. What do you mean DPS is a fake stat?

That it doesn't have as much effect on your killing as the power of your abilities do = damage

EyeDreamUni
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
It would be way cooler if rifles could also be used as melee weapons (When an enemy gets too near, your character automatically bashes the enemy with the butt of the rifle and pushes them away.) I think I've seen some people suggest this, seems like a good idea..

PianoWizzy
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
It would be way cooler if rifles could also be used as melee weapons (When an enemy gets too near, your character automatically bashes the enemy with the butt of the rifle and pushes them away.) I think I've seen some people suggest this, seems like a good idea..

o.o;

<3 :D

flashbackflip
07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
I think the easiest way to solve this is to add PINK or at least PURPLE rifles with those 'boosted' stats

And concerning passive comms - weapon choice won't affect them - those are the dudes who don't know how to play their class, so they need training, not another gun..

P.S.
The idea of melee attack with a rifle (twice dmg!) is great! Im outa thanx tho

Ladylux
07-05-2012, 06:34 AM
It would be way cooler if rifles could also be used as melee weapons (When an enemy gets too near, your character automatically bashes the enemy with the butt of the rifle and pushes them away.) I think I've seen some people suggest this, seems like a good idea.. then everyone would run around like fools trying to runinto enemies