PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for Str bird build

Kalielle
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I've been slowly abandoning my archer bird because I just don't find her very interesting to play. So today I've decided the only thing that could save her is to respec for str. (And yes, seeing Royce's awesome hammer bird in action also influenced me. :D)

Any advice for the build? Put enough in str to wear gear and the rest in dex, and nothing in int?

How about skills?

Elffy
08-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry I have no advice to help but I refuse to believe the bird is a she.

Royce
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I would put just enough in Str to equip the gear you want to use (142 unless you plan to wear an Osiris helm or something), and the rest in Dex. I'm still figuring out the skills part. You definitely want Focus, Evasion, Shattering Scream, and blast shot maxed. Avian scream should have at least 1 as the stun is very useful and the short range isn't as much of a shortcoming for a melee character. The root skills are handy but not as essential as I had expected them to be, though that could be in part due to the fact I have only been using hammers since level 24. The one thing I'm really debating right now is whether restore is worth it. I expected it would be valuable for a melee bird and it works okay, but it's just such a weak skill, so I'm not sure.

Kalielle
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the excellent advice, Royce. I can't wait to try it now!

Lol, Elffy! Look, if some guys out there can claim that their mage/pally is male, as I've seen many of them do - then certainly there's no reason I couldn't imagine my bird to be a she. :D

Furrawn
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the excellent advice, Royce. I can't wait to try it now!

Lol, Elffy! Look, if some guys out there can claim that their mage/pally is male, as I've seen many of them do - then certainly there's no reason I couldn't imagine my bird to be a she. :D
Henbane is my strength birdie- she's a she, too:D

Royce
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Usually with birds, the easiest way to tell males from females is the color of plumage. Males need bright colors to attract a mate, while females are usually caomflauged with more muted earthy colors. The PL avians are brown, so in my estimation they are all clearly female ;)

Kalielle
08-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Henbane is my strength birdie- she's a she, too:D

Love the name! :D

Furrawn
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Usually with birds, the easiest way to tell males from females is the color of plumage. Males need bright colors to attract a mate, while females are usually caomflauged with more muted earthy colors. The PL avians are brown, so in my estimation they are all clearly female ;)

I love your brain, Royce.
Kali~ ty-I was delighted when I thought of it and it wasn't taken:)

Snakespeare
08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I re-spec'd as a warbird the other night. It's a good build, but I forgot to put 5 points on Evade. I have the two for the combo at 5 (shattering scream and blast shot), focus still works with my spear, so that went to 5, and I use root more now since I can't just shoot them when they back up. restore, meditate, at 5, too. break armor 5 because I use it all the time, and the other two arrows as well, but they are repulse shot 4 and blinding shot 5.

Really just wanted to use the djinn spear I got (because of my name), and the Saints shield (because its cool).

I really wish I had put some on Evade. I didn't think Avian Scream would be much use for a warbird.

Dizko has a thread on this. Dizko's Strong Birdy Guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?3431-Dizko-s-Strong-Birdy-Guide)

FWIW, I call my elf named Emorin a guy. He's just in disguise... ;)

Greeve
08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I would think avian scream would be useful, much like a bear's stomp. Creating distance between yourself and the enemy when desired. Also, if you are using a two hander the damage from an avian scream would be really nice since it seems to scale up with dmg of your weapon. After looking at alot of the skills here there is overlap between a bear and a bird to some degree and taking advantage of those skills would be useful. Also, at 45 I would probably not use restore, and potentially even meditate. You are generally stocked up on pots and with 3 isis/ 1 thoth you are not going to be hurting for mana and health and when you are in such a rare situation those skills alone will not be sufficient, you will need to suppliment yourself with potions.

Royce
08-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree with Greeve except for 1 thing. I still use meditation on my level 45 Dex bird and it is great since you only need 1 Thoth and you're set. I don't see any reason my hammer bird will be different. Edit: also it's a must for PvP ;)

Also, I should have mentioned in my post, definitely break armor, unless I find out it doesn't stack with the spear/trident proc, in which case it's still good for a hammer bird, but maybe not essential for warbirds in general.

kavanah
08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with Greeve except for 1 thing. I still use meditation on my level 45 Dex bird and it is great since you only need 1 Thoth and you're set. I don't see any reason my hammer bird will be different. Edit: also it's a must for PvP ;)

Also, I should have mentioned in my post, definitely break armor, unless I find out it doesn't stack with the spear/trident proc, in which case it's still good for a hammer bird, but maybe not essential for warbirds in general.

I'm up for testing that, I also wonder how well a decked out zuraz lance 2-isis 1-thoth str bird would hold up vs other classes.

BeardedBear
08-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm up for testing that, I also wonder how well a decked out zuraz lance 2-isis 1-thoth str bird would hold up vs other classes.

I'm actually speccing my nerdbird to be str and try this out. Just looking for my str Isis/Thoth gear though. I might just hi-jack my bear for now.

I'd be down to do some testing tonight. The name is FlyingDuck

I have yet to decide on skills. Regrowth sounds tempting, and I know I'll come up short on mana with just one thoth and no mediation. Decisions, decisions.

BeardedBear
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/unknown08075/b6e678ab.jpg
EDIT: i went ahead and put 5 points into avian scream.

Ok, so I'm debating about what other skills to get here. I wanted to stay away from mediation and restore, and while repulse shot is nice, I don't see myself wanting to push my opponent far away from me. While I was at it, I want to forget roots and wall. What do you guys suggest?

I'm going more for a PVP build. (lance or 2h nightmare sword)

Raxie
08-28-2010, 03:57 PM
you definitely need to 5 on repulse shot and blinding shot. you don't want to push your opponent away? sometimes, pushing away your opponent is the most important thing to do in pvp...
when your buffs are slowly running out, you push them and when they come close, root them and wait for your buffs to cool. also if a bear is trying to hit you, you just use repulse shot and the bear uses all his skills and they all miss because he got knocked away, leaving you unscathed and him losing half of his mana and his skills cooling. you also definitely need thorn root.
edit: didn't see your edit. put the thorn root at 4. avian scream is sometimes useful and will stun.

BeardedBear
08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Update: I have 4 points left. I have went ahead and pushed restore and blinding shot. So 5 points in all skills but roots/wall/repulse/meditation. And yeah Goxu, I'm thinking my final 4 points in repulse, to get opponents away from me. I'm finding I dont need roots much. If they run, they are usually low or no buffs, and my ranged combo can usually take care of them.

I'm finding it to be very deadly in PVP if I do my burst dmg right. Rotating evade and restore seem to keep me alive.