PDA

View Full Version : Discord & AL

BaronB
03-20-2022, 01:00 AM
For over the last year now I have slowly but surely become more and more of an advocate of using Discord, especially as it's such a powerful and diverse tool that when used correctly can enhance any gaming experience.

So over the last year, I have also been spending a good amount of time learning the ins and outs of server building and now it feels like it's coming along rather nicely!

At first, I had joined a couple of servers that actually belonged to other guilds and was inspired to see roles and sections dedicated to people outside (friends of the guild so to speak)

With time along with adding features to the High Society server, I have also been keeping a few of those features open to the members outside of the guild on the server. Where it has mostly been people invited through friends who have joined the server, Id like to use this thread to start by inviting anyone whos curious and would like to join and check out our server!

You can use the link https://discord.io/hsguild to click to join.

To gain access to the features of the server however we ask you to use your AL ign as your server nickname, the main reason for this being it makes it a lot easier to tag people when setting up parties/trades/etc.

You can check out the High Society guild thread for examples of some of the features that keep being introduced and if you have any suggestions or constructive criticisms then please do share!

If your guild also has permissions for people outside of the guild to be able to join too then please also share your links here!

I'll also include links to a couple of other discord servers I'm aware are public and AL community in mind.

https://discord.gg/abm9zpC - Arcane Legends Community Server

https://discord.gg/uYG4tQTHJV - AL Helpful Information & Tips

Got more questions about discord? feel free to ask!

Nothing ventured is nothing gained!

1 <3

Susanne
03-20-2022, 02:37 AM
So what is the purpose of discord? I've asked this many times and there's never a straight answer.
I did try Line and WhatsApp but grew tired of it, is discord any different?
Maybe I'm one of those people who when they log out, AL becomes what it is, a game.
I am curious though to find out why so many players use it.

Ploid
03-20-2022, 02:44 AM
So what is the purpose of discord? I've asked this many times and there's never a straight answer.
Maybe I'm one of those people who when they log out, AL becomes what it is, a game.
I am curious though to find out why so many players use it.Discord is very organized compared to a line group.

A discord server is like a Line group, but discord server has sub-channels dedicated to different thing.

There may be a channel for "general talking"
There may be a channel for "asking for help"
There may be a channel for "voice chat"
There may even be channels where people can talk to others from their country with their native language.

You can give role to members with special privileges. You can make someone a "member" with and give them a color, you can make someone an "officer" giving them a distinct colored name and giving them the authority to kick people from the server.

Discord is very modifiable. You can do a lot of things in it.

You can play tic-tac-toe with friends, you can program a discord bot to send memes or jokes with specific command. There are endless possibilities with what u can do in discord!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Susanne
03-20-2022, 04:07 AM
Discord is very organized compared to a line group.

A discord server is like a Line group, but discord server has sub-channels dedicated to different thing.

There may be a channel for "general talking"
There may be a channel for "asking for help"
There may be a channel for "voice chat"
There may even be channels where people can talk to others from their country with their native language.

You can give role to members with special privileges. You can make someone a "member" with and give them a color, you can make someone an "officer" giving them a distinct colored name and giving them the authority to kick people from the server.

Discord is very modifiable. You can do a lot of things in it.

You can play tic-tac-toe with friends, you can program a discord bot to send memes or jokes with specific command. There are endless possibilities with what u can do in discord!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Your enthusiasm for discord is admirable but playing AL and forums is all I have time for.
At least I know where all my guildmates have disappeared to, tic tac toeing etc. (Joking if any of you see this).
Good luck with it and enjoy. 🙂

Oakmaiden
03-20-2022, 07:47 AM
I am curious though to find out why so many players use it.

Imo, those aps are popular because they can discuss things they would be banned for here.

BaronB
03-20-2022, 01:52 PM
To answer the actual question of

So what is the purpose of discord?

I would say its purpose is as a tool that helps form and strengthen bonds between people (players).

If chatting to people was like a cooking device... using things like WhatsApp/FB/ would be your basic campfire

Using Line/Forums would be like an old wooden stove

Discord would be your modern stove/oven combo with induction hobs etc.

Of course, they can all do the basics however of course you can also do so much more too... and here are some examples of what it could be used for.

Information channels - We have a lot of information about the game out there, a lot is harder to find but not impossible.

Such as the list of daily events and when they happen. elite ap boss locations, egg locations, or how to complete certain AP guides, etc.

Forums you could search for those things and after a few hours might hopefully find what your looking for after digging through post after post.
Line does have notes you could save in a group chat along with being able to upload photos and screenshots (because most won't want to post on forums with screenshots with friends having fun in-game so share on platforms they are already on together).

But along with all that information Line also starts using a heavy amount of data and starts being slow with so much content so it starts limiting people.

Discord however you can do all of the above and as mentioned you can actually separate and organize the information to be a lot quicker and easier for people to find and share... example...

When it comes to the daily events which are under the al-calendar channel...

How many times do some of us wish we had a notification go off when it was x2 XP or Boss Loot Elixer sales as a reminder as we get busy and forget throughout the month of waiting? Well, discord can it a possibility.

But along with the dates of when the events are up next, you can even use discord to be able to get notification when the event does start as a reminder too... a fine example of enhancing the gaming experience.

This is made possible by having different bots on a server that when programed correctly can have so many uses such as being able to show a live calendar update and send you reminders for certain events should you wish it!

If being really lazy/clever about it can even do something as simple as sending a message/command into a chat such as "!bosslocations"

Voila! You instantly have the list of Elite bosses and where you need to go farm to find them.

There is some examples of how a "multi-purpose tool" can be put to use to make it a better gaming experience not only for you but your friends as well.

Of course, being an MMRPG whole point is we obviously converse with each other about all sorts of things and it isn't always just the game as there are many different interests that bring so many different people together to the same place.

So we all know how we love to share things like memes, food pics, stories, pet pics, etc with each other and we also like looking because of course it tickles our interests!

Well, mostly these are shared in a general chat which will end up getting lost along with other conversations people have but again with discord this can all be neatly packaged up making it easier for people to find the topics that interest them the most.

Maybe your having a meh day and want some cute animal pics to check out (pet pics) perhaps want some inspiration for what to eat/cook for the day (food pics/recipes) or maybe you just fancy a good laugh (Memes of course) perhaps stuck on a new book/movie/anime to read/watch... well there are separate areas to discuss and share such things too! Helping to bond relationships between players in general and next time you looking for people to help with a map or to run with I can bet you it would be easier to find when you have better connections with others :)

Being connected via the internet across the world of course brings people together from all walks of cultures and languages too. Rather than keeping people closed off in smaller communities due to the language barrier, rather than just asking people to only speak English all the time.

Can also use discord to dedicate chat areas for languages other than English for people to still communicate and when its all done under the same roof people tend to mingle together bringing in a great diversity of people again expanding on connections to others and further enhancing your gaming experience

Of course, none of it is just limited to just whats been shown above... its about being fluid with the times. Being like water so to speak which only helps with the nourishment of growth :)

Admittedly discord servers can be quite daunting at first especially when there is so much information/content on there however once you've got your head around the basics most will never look back!

I wouldn't let rather bleak perspectives such as these

Imo, those aps are popular because they can discuss things they would be banned for here.

Be a put-off, if we went into it people discuss things that would get them banned even on forums. Also, example chances of me sharing stories or pictures from my work wouldn't exactly be appropriate for forums and couldn't be done in game.

Ironic for Oakmaiden to also say such things especially when she also spent many years on Line sharing pictures of the garden she grew and maintains... I've still might have the pictures somewhere if I search back hard enough :)

With that same breath its worth noting that the link I shared in my original post to the large AL community discord server has over 2k people along with a few mods from STS... 1 of them also being on the HS server.

So its not healthy to try to cast shade on something that can genuinely give a positive impact :)

1 <3

Susanne
03-20-2022, 03:59 PM
To answer the actual question of

I would say its purpose is as a tool that helps form and strengthen bonds between people (players).

If chatting to people was like a cooking device... using things like WhatsApp/FB/ would be your basic campfire

Using Line/Forums would be like an old wooden stove

Discord would be your modern stove/oven combo with induction hobs etc.

Of course, they can all do the basics however of course you can also do so much more too... and here are some examples of what it could be used for.

Information channels - We have a lot of information about the game out there, a lot is harder to find but not impossible.

Such as the list of daily events and when they happen. elite ap boss locations, egg locations, or how to complete certain AP guides, etc.

Forums you could search for those things and after a few hours might hopefully find what your looking for after digging through post after post.
Line does have notes you could save in a group chat along with being able to upload photos and screenshots (because most won't want to post on forums with screenshots with friends having fun in-game so share on platforms they are already on together).

But along with all that information Line also starts using a heavy amount of data and starts being slow with so much content so it starts limiting people.

Discord however you can do all of the above and as mentioned you can actually separate and organize the information to be a lot quicker and easier for people to find and share... example...

When it comes to the daily events which are under the al-calendar channel...

How many times do some of us wish we had a notification go off when it was x2 XP or Boss Loot Elixer sales as a reminder as we get busy and forget throughout the month of waiting? Well, discord can it a possibility.

But along with the dates of when the events are up next, you can even use discord to be able to get notification when the event does start as a reminder too... a fine example of enhancing the gaming experience.

This is made possible by having different bots on a server that when programed correctly can have so many uses such as being able to show a live calendar update and send you reminders for certain events should you wish it!

If being really lazy/clever about it can even do something as simple as sending a message/command into a chat such as "!bosslocations"

Voila! You instantly have the list of Elite bosses and where you need to go farm to find them.

There is some examples of how a "multi-purpose tool" can be put to use to make it a better gaming experience not only for you but your friends as well.

Of course, being an MMRPG whole point is we obviously converse with each other about all sorts of things and it isn't always just the game as there are many different interests that bring so many different people together to the same place.

So we all know how we love to share things like memes, food pics, stories, pet pics, etc with each other and we also like looking because of course it tickles our interests!

Well, mostly these are shared in a general chat which will end up getting lost along with other conversations people have but again with discord this can all be neatly packaged up making it easier for people to find the topics that interest them the most.

Maybe your having a meh day and want some cute animal pics to check out (pet pics) perhaps want some inspiration for what to eat/cook for the day (food pics/recipes) or maybe you just fancy a good laugh (Memes of course) perhaps stuck on a new book/movie/anime to read/watch... well there are separate areas to discuss and share such things too! Helping to bond relationships between players in general and next time you looking for people to help with a map or to run with I can bet you it would be easier to find when you have better connections with others :)

Being connected via the internet across the world of course brings people together from all walks of cultures and languages too. Rather than keeping people closed off in smaller communities due to the language barrier, rather than just asking people to only speak English all the time.

Can also use discord to dedicate chat areas for languages other than English for people to still communicate and when its all done under the same roof people tend to mingle together bringing in a great diversity of people again expanding on connections to others and further enhancing your gaming experience

Of course, none of it is just limited to just whats been shown above... its about being fluid with the times. Being like water so to speak which only helps with the nourishment of growth :)

Admittedly discord servers can be quite daunting at first especially when there is so much information/content on there however once you've got your head around the basics most will never look back!

I wouldn't let rather bleak perspectives such as these

Be a put-off, if we went into it people discuss things that would get them banned even on forums. Also, example chances of me sharing stories or pictures from my work wouldn't exactly be appropriate for forums and couldn't be done in game.

Ironic for Oakmaiden to also say such things especially when she also spent many years on Line sharing pictures of the garden she grew and maintains... I've still might have the pictures somewhere if I search back hard enough :)

With that same breath its worth noting that the link I shared in my original post to the large AL community discord server has over 2k people along with a few mods from STS... 1 of them also being on the HS server.

So its not healthy to try to cast shade on something that can genuinely give a positive impact :)

1 <3

Long post, which I did read, and still think it's not for me.
If I'm having a meh day, usually when I'm working, I just kick something. When I'm not working and not playing AL or posting on here, I go for long walks with my dog. I live in a beautiful part of England, you may have heard of the Pennines.
Like I said previously, I admire people who show enthusiasm for stuff but when I log out from here and in Arlor, it's all forgotten.
I don't find it necessary to know the players and really don't have enough time, what with work and taking care of family.
Maybe I should have taken a look when we were in lockdown but that's finished now.
Good luck with it and enjoy! 🙂

Repent
03-20-2022, 04:46 PM

I enjoy my freedom of speech and forums are limited when it comes to that.

Forums are used to talk about AL stuff. Discord is used for socializing.

A lot of things are banned here such as ridiculing others or "constructive criticism". I'm sure you see why these discord servers are used more often than forums because we have the ability to vent our frustrations freely without the risk of our words being deleted an unheard. - Atoned