PDA

View Full Version : Aggro?

Garrison
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't play as frequently as some, so maybe I haven't noticed...but is there an aggro system in place? I mean, how do the monsters decide who to attack? Is it whoever has dealt the most damage to them thus far?

Many times, it looks like the monsters just go for whoever hit them first. Then my warrior comes up and starts wailing away to get them to back off the archer or enchanter who's running away with a tiny life bar...and no matter how hard I hit they ignore me and keep chasing my teammate!

Maybe I'm just misjudging how much relative damage I'm doing. But if there really isn't an aggro system, I strongly recommend it. Aggro would make being a tank a bit easier when you're playing with trigger-fingered ranged players who won't wait for you to go up and whack the baddie first. :) Yet, as tanks usually don't put out the most damage battles would still be dynamic (enemies changing targets).

Sorry if there is aggro and I just didn't notice. :o

asommers
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Without going into the numbers, all mobs have a general 'hate' value for players. Player hate is evaluated continually and computed from the following:

Distance to player (the closer a player, the more hate is added)
Damage received by a player (the more damage done by a player, the more hate is added)
Healing done to a player (if you heal a player the mob doesn't like, the mob will hate you)
Taunting a mob (puts you to the top of the hate list)
Hurting a nearby mob (mob will call for help)

Finally, the most-hated player will be chosed as the mob's target.

-ALS

KronicDecay
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Taunting? Does this mean an emote like waving makes the mob angry?

Futumsh
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Also, the more damage you absorb, the more the monsters hate you, so let the tank go first!

Shebee
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
How does taunt work in detail? Does it gove you as much threat as the player with the highest threat at that point or does it just add a fix ammount of threat to your current threat making it fail frequently?

Deathshock
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I believe he means taunting as in the skill that warriors have. To be honest though, I don't think taunt holds aggro properly because often times you lose aggro right after casting taunt.

asommers
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
How does taunt work in detail? Does it gove you as much threat as the player with the highest threat at that point or does it just add a fix ammount of threat to your current threat making it fail frequently?

It sets your hate to the mob's current highest hate value plus a constant. We can easily bump up that constant to have have you be the most hated longer.

-ALS

Deathshock
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
It sets your hate to the mob's current highest hate value plus a constant. We can easily bump up that constant to have have you be the most hated longer.

-ALS

Yes. PLEASE bump up that constant because I think that would help to resolve the aggro issues that tanks have been having.

Splurd
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Where is the love?

I demand a cupid bow which shoots hearts and lowers my aggro.

:cool:

On a more serious note, does casting a AoE spell compund the "hate" generated? eg, Monster gets angry that he is hurt, and angry that his friend is hurt,
so AoE spells are doubly hateful?

Deathshock
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Where is the love?

I demand a cupid bow which shoots hearts and lowers my aggro.

:cool:

On a more serious note, does casting a AoE spell compund the "hate" generated? eg, Monster gets angry that he is hurt, and angry that his friend is hurt,
so AoE spells are doubly hateful?

Seems like that would be right...

nerdherd
04-20-2010, 12:20 AM
This thread should be stickied in the warrior section! An explanation of aggro is a must for tanks.

Shebee
04-20-2010, 02:14 AM
We should get detailed information on every skill and attributes too.