PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of a merchant character

Livemau
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
As said above why do people make characters for buying and selling all I see is disadvantages
1st you have to spend a ton of money to make a cool looking merchant
2nd If you are rarely on it and you put things in the cs with it people cant negotiate a price by sending you a message
3rd Whats the difference they both talk the same and can list things in the cs

Tell me why having a merch character is good or better than a normal character

JaytB
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Why? So people don't continuously spam your main with lowbal offers for things you're selling ;)

Elyseon
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
thats y i merch with my main
i suppose the main purpose is that they made a premium character so they have 10 auction slots on it for cheap

Paar
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Half of them aren't even merches! They just throw noob items at you and expect you to buy!

Elyseon
07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Half of them aren't even merches! They just throw noob items at you and expect you to buy!
lol so true, they come up to you and say wanna buy this? so u check cs and theyre asking double that price lol

kiitz
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Or they spam balefort with "Buying Pinks 50% off" but they will only buy stuff that has high demand and can easily be sold for waayy more.

LwMark
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
after thinkin about it, when i started merchin, I was probably annoying myself lol

Elyseon
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
noob merch = spammer

Unacel
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe they don't want to link their merching to their main? Also, its a good way to show off. U have 3 mil in gear on a lvl10 just because u can, not because u use or need it.

I would not consider the "50% off" guys merches. They just annoy people and try to get lucky. A merchant knows markets well enough to make money without taking advantage of people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FluffNStuff
07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I just made a merch character to get the starter pack with 10 slots. Got tired of checking every day with each of my 10 characters :)

Purey
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I made a low lvl merch character and I find it is actually very affective... I'm decked out in holiday and vanity item. I stick out and when people see my title (guild name) XMerch they expect me to be able to find things they need to buy. I also have regular customers who come to me when they need like anything. It is convenient also because I joined a merch guild. my guildies and I keep in touch and help one another make sales.. increasing all of our profits. I wouldn't want to be in a merch guild on my main or my twinks, you see?

The other main reason is the auction slots, they are very convenient and 30plat is a good deal o.O

just my reasonings ;)

Fyrce
07-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I like to keep things I want to sell separate from things I'm playing with. While I sort of play my merch chars, I mostly do not. They are merchants and they hold the stuff I want to sell. My mains hold the stuff I am not selling.

It also limits spam, since generally my mains are not associated w/ sales.

Not to mention at one time I had mules to go w/ my merchant, so it would have been a pain to play mains with that much stuff on them.

Worship
07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
I too don't see the point of it..
I'll just sell what I want for the price I want it and ignore the spams

WoundedEagle
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I asked a well-known merch (not saying who) this same question a while ago. They said so that when they undercut people in CS with XX,999 prices, they don't get raged. And so that when they buy pinks where someone messed up on the pricing, they don't have to deal with them. I thought it was kind of harsh lol.

Rare
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
As said above why do people make characters for buying and selling all I see is disadvantages
1st you have to spend a ton of money to make a cool looking merchant
2nd If you are rarely on it and you put things in the cs with it people cant negotiate a price by sending you a message
3rd Whats the difference they both talk the same and can list things in the cs

Tell me why having a merch character is good or better than a normal character

Well..

1. I think that is fun.
2. I think that is an advantage.
3. I personally find it difficult selling to friends without giving them an awesome deal. I can be a little more of a negotiator if I hide behind my alt :). I'm trying to rip people off or anything.

To elaborate on #2. I hate when I'm running and someone pms me about buying my gear. I don't answer and they get mad. Or, I don't want to sell to them for the price they want to pay and they call me a nub.

Also, I don't mind people not knowing what I'm buying and selling.

trunzoc
07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
I just made a merch character to get the starter pack with 10 slots. Got tired of checking every day with each of my 10 characters :)

this is why I don't merch on my main. Cheaper to just start a new character where you can load up the cs slots for way cheaper, and inundate them with stuff to sell instead of having it stuck in with your regular playing gear, getting in the way.

Aveea
07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I have the holiday stuff and goodies on my merch just to be recognizable, ppl know you are a merchant and are ready to deal. I also enjoy having all my gold on one character. My merch also helps me avoid those awkward moments with friends regarding price.

Chopper
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I would not consider the "50% off" guys merches. They just annoy people and try to get lucky. A merchant knows markets well enough to make money without taking advantage of people.

I hate those players!

They yell it out like it some special deal to sell them good pinks for 50% off the going rate and they're willing to take it off your hands at such a discount. I ask them if they are also willing to sell me their best equipment at the same discount that they are offering? Never get an answer.

cookiez
07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Well first of all, if I'm in balefort, and I'm on my main. I won't get pm's about people selling stuff. But if I'm on my merchant, people will pm me offers (I want them to) .

Also it's fun! Designing different looks and all

Enforcer
07-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Who said a merchant character had to look good? And it's the slots that make people want to make merch char. 75 plat for 10 slots or 30?

Sciazaratek
07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
It's cheaper to get that special set for 30 plat when you create a new toon instead of buying 10 slots for 75 plat , you get those slots for 30 .
Thats why most merch toons are at a twink lvl like lvl. 10.

Subscriber
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Half of them fon't even merch well, sadly. I guess to keep it secret because some don't want to be known and asked to sell cheaper all the time.

United
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
to reap without sowing

KingFu
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Are these "merchant characters" that you're referring to the same ones that spam "BUYING ALL PINKS 70% OFF$!$ FAST CASH$$$"? I've had a mule char since the 40 cap that I used to merchant, and I've used him either as a stash, or merchant char since I made him. It's nicer because you don't have to hoard all the gold/items on your main, if you want to merchant, you go on that char and make gold without being disturbed. I have maybe 10 friends that log in frequently added on my merchant, otherwise I get pestered with PMs asking to farm and PvP when I'm busy. It's also an advantage since you're more likely to be stern with prices, and really put gold first on a merchant char because you're not worried about "image". Harsh, but true. Merchanting means putting making gold first, which is easier to do so on a character that has no affiliation with your main.