PDA

View Full Version : The Blackstar Chronicles Novelization/Character Names

Battlegrinder
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
So, out of boredom and a desire to improve my writing skills, I've started writing a story. Specifically, a novelization of Star Legends, from the view point of a Ex-Marine Commando named Vance Dawes. The First Chapter is up now, covering a little background and the story of the demo level. I'm taking a degree of creative liberty with the story, as SL current format doesn't lend itself well to a novelization. Please read it and tell me what you think.

In addition, I need/want help developing character names for some of Vance's mercenary comrades, especially operative and engineers. If you have a suggestion, post it here, please. EDIT: Please feel free to develop your own character, instead of sticking to the classic SL trio. I do need a few more engineers, but send me ideas for snipers, assassins, Mode soldiers, guerrilla fighters, ex-pirates, and any other characters you can think of. Blackstar is a more diverse story then Star Legends, and it needs a cast with as much diversity as it can. Also, I don't only need ideas for Vance's friends. Come up with ideas for a few of his enemies as well.

Finally, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me, good or bad. Feel free to be as critical as you want, you're not going to crush my hopes and dreams and make me stop writing by pointing out errors. Unless you're one of the Devs with a Cease-and-desist letter. That might do some damage.

Happy Reading!

Figment Link: http://figment.com/books/389338-Star-Legends-Vanguard
FanFiction.Net Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8450111/1/The_Blackstar_Chronicles

Ace's Round Series:
Figment link: http://figment.com/books/703634-Ace-s-Round-Take-out-Takedown
FF.net link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9731397/1/Ace-s-Round-Take-out-Takedown

Community Contributors:
Cahaun
Bronislav84
Garvhoz
Kiith

Recent News: (I'll copy the latest posts here, so they are more accessible)
Chapter 7 is now out! Cliches are subverted, buildings get burned down, and I solve a minor issue the last chapter left hanging. Also, the second forum character gets debuted, along with completing the set-up for the next story arc.

Also, some humorous alternate chapter titles:

Laundry days gets hardcore
Burn everything, it's the only way to be sure
Soap, Softener, and shotguns
No, not the one from Left for Dead
Surprise, you're on Covert Camera!

Shaocalur
07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Sounds cool, is there a link to the story?

bronislav84
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Wanna use my Engineer Karaai in your story? She and her sisters Karai (Op) and Karaii (Com) are fraternal triplets. Free of charge of course.

Battlegrinder
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Sounds cool, is there a link to the story?

Yeah I'll post one, forgot to include it.

Battlegrinder
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Wanna use my Engineer Karaai in your story? She and her sisters Karai (Op) and Karaii (Com) are fraternal triplets. Free of charge of course.
Be glad to use them, thanks. Just be aware survival is not certain.

bronislav84
07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Fine by me. The Engineer I do kinda care about the most. Besides it's just a story. Would be honored to just be in the story, but you should consider having a standard party to travel with. I consider myself among the pro support Engineers, having started in the Beta days. Once I've learned the content properly of course.

If you need a last name it's Horoshi. Karai was born first, with Karaai following and Karaii being the youngest. All about a second apart.

If you wanna meet them in game if you need looks we can arrange a time or something. I'll be playing a lot with the next update going up probably.

Itoopeo
07-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I red at start some text and it is really good. Bad thing is that i dont speak english as my main so its hard and slow to understand everything from that :(

Qqqxxxzzz
07-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Mobile site...
http://img.tapatalk.com/5b986534-acba-5754.jpg

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

DataPunk
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
How did you get rid of the screenshot button?

Qqqxxxzzz
07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
How did you get rid of the screenshot button?

I found another way to take screenshots.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

akfury
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I didn't read the whole thing but what I read was awesome keep uP the good work and I'll read the whole thing later today :)

Cahaun
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I've been thinking of something like this too. You are free to use these characters of mine:

"Looneytoon"

Class: Engineer

Bio: An optimistic officer of the Bootcamp guild. He was given the nickname "Looneytoon" for being partial crazy while having good survival tactics for new space adventurers.

PianoWizzy
07-20-2012, 07:21 PM
I offer up my character as a minor side character for comic relief if you'd ever like to throw that in ;) Engineer, Marie Zirecca, but they really only know her as Wizz -- she's that nutter who, despite a clean and complete record as a diligent fighter in the field and a timely medic as needed, is frequently found asleep on the UCS Blackstar floor [or in the plants], occasionally waking up to yell something random and completely out of the blue.

Battlegrinder
07-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Chapter two of the Blackstar Chronicles novel is now up. Vance and a team of mercenaries are beginning to fight their way into the Dynastar R&D complex aboard the Blackstar, but something isn't quite right about the force of intruders and renegade security personal who have seized the facility.....
I've also added in a small section at the end of each chapter expanding upon the background of the SL universe. I'll be explaining how weapons, shields, ships, and other technology work, as well as a history lesson and biological data on some of the galaxies more hostile inhabitants.

regarding character names, sorry I'm not using any of yours for the Dynastar labs arc, I might work a few of the into the arc following this one.

A few notes regarding what I'll be doing with the story. Basically, I'm writing the story of all of star legends, not just the parts we see in game. For example, after Vance and company clear out the Juicer's on the Blackstar, they are sent on a mission to destroy the remaining members of the juicer mercenary group. This isn't something that happened in-game (yet, hint-hint), but is a logical following point to what happen in the Blackstar. Doing things like this will allow me fill in parts of Vance's background and personality that don't come up in game, while keeping the parts of the story that are based on the game accurate.

Cahaun
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Doing great! Just keep at it and jot down any ideas you ever get! This'll help you weave them together into a creative story :encouragement:

Cahaun
07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I'll get some names and data for you in just a little bit. I know a lot on the Star Legend Lore (Through observation) and events so just PM me if you need anything.

Battlegrinder
07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks, that sounds like it could be useful. I have a pretty good about the background lore of Star Legends, but there are still a few gaps, and somethings I've been forced to discard and develop my own version, or to create details and background where none existed. One plus side of finally hitting lvl 40 is that now when I need to go back somewhere to get some information, I can usually fight my way there solo, and take as much time as I need to gather information.

Kanozaki
07-21-2012, 04:51 PM
would be honored if you used the character kanozaki (:

Ultiaara
07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
If you're putting peoples usernames in like looneytune up there you should put in something like "codename:looneytune" and just make up a name.

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 06:28 AM
If you're putting peoples usernames in like looneytune up there you should put in something like "codename:looneytoon" and just make up a name.
Look in the bio and you'll see why I "" the name. It's a nickname... codename as you put it. I constantly think of new things and ideas so I couldn't put in everything when I was typing it in. :p

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 07:01 AM
People of Blackstar and Areas of the Galaxy

Name: Harry Hijack

Bio: Infamous as he is smart, Harry has been widely know to hijack merchant ships all over the galaxy and selling them to a mysterious buyer.
Many companies have started making no-guns-allowed for their cruisers in an attempt to prevent internal hijacking but it's still controversial and many major trade companies like Cycorp still oppose it.
Harry turned KIA in a hijacking gone bad.

Name: Lasiter Bigsby, CEO Cycorp

Bio: Lasiter Bigsby knew business after taking many years in the Consumer Industry as Spokesman. For some unknown reasons, Lasiter resigned from his previous work and used all his experience, cunning tactics, and an equally mind-set crew to get Cycorp to where it is now. Many think Bigsby is trying to get Liber Corp to be in part of his now giant industry for their Light Bending Technology.

This is just to get me started off. I'll get in lots of people like Cycorp, Dynastar, and UC Marine Contingent officials. I'll start this list off with a familiar face: Harry Hijack. While some characters can be alive in the story, others are used by references... just being mentioned. I'll add basic info and slight lore on each character.

Battlegrinder
07-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks, that will be really helpful. I can't promise I'll be able to use all your stuff, since I occasionally have to change details to make the story more plausible or tie details into the over arcing plot. Its been so long since I started playing, I've forgotten who a lot of these characters were and what their role was.

Zraorizer
07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey you can use my name: Zraorizer
Mind if I can blog the same about SL since you inspired me :)

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks, that will be really helpful. I can't promise I'll be able to use all your stuff, since I occasionally have to change details to make the story more plausible or tie details into the over arcing plot. Its been so long since I started playing, I've forgotten who a lot of these characters were and what their role was.
No problem. That's why I came to help :)
I was actually about to make an entire book on the lore of Star Legends because I was bored, and I was jotting down everything I know from weapon descriptions to quotes to even the smallest references the characters talk about. I'll add even more by the end of today or tomorrow.

Battlegrinder
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Chapter three has been posted. Vance and company have fought and tricked their way through the security center, and discovered the true nature of the people who seized control of the R&D complex. Now they must deal with the implications of that discovery, and find a way to proceed past the complications it has added to their mission..

I've been working on plotting out the whole story of the Star Legends game, so I can start developing the main plot for Blackstar Chronicles. So far, the biggest problem I'm having is finding a way to tie all the independent story arcs of the various mission together into a cherant main plot. Some of them can be link together on their own (like Cycorp leading into delta-7). The tricky bit is developing the main plot underlying the events of the game, and then linking the various mission arcs to that.
The other element of the story that's being difficult is character development. SL doesn't offer much in the way opportunities to see a side of the characters that's not devoted to kicking butt and taking names. So I'm working on writing a number of chapters that show Vance during his time between mission, when he isn't busy killing stuff. The hard part is coming up with what to make them about, given a lot of Vance's personality is still unformed. Stay tuned for additional updates.

Battlegrinder
07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
No problem. That's why I came to help :)
I was actually about to make an entire book on the lore of Star Legends because I was bored, and I was jotting down everything I know from weapon descriptions to quotes to even the smallest references the characters talk about. I'll add even more by the end of today or tomorrow.
Wow, that's impressive. That kind of information would be a huge help, since trying to make notes on every level in the game, develop background details on the universe (like the weapon data files I've been releasing), come up with an over arching plot for the whole novel and adapt the circumstances of the game into a more realistic story leaves little time for research. I've been working on leveling my guild bank alt so I can reread the various quest orders, but trying to do that, finally get my main up to the cap, farm the hive, and do school work is making task management a nightmare.

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Went through the first level in Cycorp and a few other sources, and I managed to get LOADS of info! I just added one bio tonight because I'm exhausted after what I did today irl so expect a lot more tomorrow.
I'm not sure if you wanted this, but I'm also keeping track of all of the bulletins, entries, and servers. I got a few names and small things from it.
I'm making a thread soon because there is just soooo much stuff I can write down.

Battlegrinder
07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Chapter Four is now out. Vance and his team have encountered the juicer menace, and now must find a way to overcome the juicer's numerical superiority and extreme resilience. But as they enter the farthest reaches of the complex, they discover new mysteries, new allies, and a sweet new gun.

I've started adding the first plot hooks linking this arc to the main plot of the novel. I've also made a number of radical departures from the original Lab and Experimental Wing levels. This section has less action than the previous three, instead its a more of a mystery chapter. I'm trying to vary the tone and mood of the various arcs, so the story doesn't get stall. For example, some levels will have much more of a mystery tone, and a couple will have more of a horror perspective. We'll see how it works. In other news, I'm almost done with the weapons data fills at the end of the chapters. I've tried to resist the urge to retcon them too much, but I have gone back to the early ones and added in some information that will help them tie into later entries and story lines. Credits to Justin Saber-Scorpion for a few ideas about the AOK rifle, and the whole idea of the data files was inspired by the guy who wrote the Tiberium Wars and Renegade fanfics.

I'm starting to form a much better idea of the direction I want to take this story, though their are a few elements I'm looking to nail down, mostly dealing with numa prime, the Mode, and the slouch-o and shipyard campaigns. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of time to figure most of them out, and Cahaun's lore research should help with that. Speaking of which, Cahaun and several other suggested characters will be joining the story in the next few chapters. I was tempted to add them in this chapter, but doing so would have limited the use I could get out of the characters.

Cahaun
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok I managed to get a roster of Cycorp's HQ staff, security team, scientists, products and ingredients, bulletin messages, areas, and most importantly their company catchphrase as I call it. I will get them all down here, but I was wondering what you'd like to see the most as I have over 2 pages of lore and rising.
I'll read chapter four as I really like reading these you make.

Battlegrinder
07-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Just send me everything you have. I'm really good at digging through loads of information to find the data I need, and sometimes looking through the data will help me make connections or suggest new approaches that reading a summary wouldn't. I'll PM you an email where you can send me the info. Thanks a ton for getting me this data, the few tidbits you've already given me have been very helpful.
I was also think of putting the Lore you gather up on figment as a separate story, so other people can read it and draw suggest new additions to it. Its your work, so I wanted your permission, and I'd credit you in the description.

Battlegrinder
07-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Chapter Five is now up. The juicer guards are down, and the path to the Black Project area is open. One final battle awaits Vance and his crew, and some of them won't live to see the end. A new ally, and a new threat wait at the end of Vance's mission.

I've posted chapter five, and have also added in a new "story" as a companion piece, the writing log. Some information on how I wrote the chapters, what things were changed and why, along with tons of other information.
I have a basic plot for the first few major arcs done. Since I'm wrapping up Dyanstar, the next few chapters will form a kind of intermission between arc for Vance to cool off, relax, get patched up, and grab some new weapons.

Garvhoz
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
How about

Torv Gorund, also known as Red Winter
Home planet: Equinox
Always cool in battle and has a permanent blue tint to his skin from being frost bitten so often.

Grew up on a ice planet colony where talking too much will get you killed. He has scars of his survival through fighting back against the native creatures of the planet. He took the name Red Winter because once he would stock up on food for the first months of year long winter he would be bathed in blood. He became a mercenary when he was offered to be one by some highly ranked officers. He doesn't find this mercenary job harder than his life on his home planet, in fact its much easier. Though he rarely talks, its usually about how easy it is being a mercenary or about how to take down the enemy. You can choose what he will be it doesn't matter to me.

Cahaun
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice character you made there! Mind if I log in your planet to my lore research?

Battlegrinder
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
How about

Torv Gorund, also known as Red Winter
Home planet: Equinox
Always cool in battle and has a permanent blue tint to his skin from being frost bitten so often.

Grew up on a ice planet colony where talking too much will get you killed. He has scars of his survival through fighting back against the native creatures of the planet. He took the name Red Winter because once he would stock up on food for the first months of year long winter he would be bathed in blood. He became a mercenary when he was offered to be one by some highly ranked officers. He doesn't find this mercenary job harder than his life on his home planet, in fact its much easier. Though he rarely talks, its usually about how easy it is being a mercenary or about how to take down the enemy. You can choose what he will be it doesn't matter to me.

Nice character. I think I can find as use for Torv, though I might have to make some edits to his background and tone it down a little. Currently, it reads like a commando bio, and I have a pile of those waiting to be written in. I might nudge him more towards a covert ops role, since his background could give him a supply of survival and wilderness trapping skills that would be useful for that profession. I think I have an upcoming arc where I could use him, in role rather different than the usual SL mission as well.

Garvhoz
07-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Nice, thanks

Nice character you made there! Mind if I log in your planet to my lore research?

Sure, why not.

Cahaun
07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice, thanks

Sure, why not.
Excellent! This should be quite an interesting planet :cool:

Cahaun
07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey, Battle. I'll put in a full detail on the Mode soon in the Lore thread so visit it when you need any more info.
I'll also send in some on the Scorn and the Riven as well as soon as time permits me so.

Battlegrinder
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Ok, thanks. Do you know if the Riven are actually in-game, or just mentioned in the development Lore like the Mode?

Cahaun
07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Ok, thanks. Do you know if the Riven are actually in-game, or just mentioned in the development Lore like the Mode?
They aren't in the game yet. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. They are just referenced through the information given.

Battlegrinder
07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Chapter Six has been posted. Vance has survived the mission, but now faces the next great challenge: Getting paid.
This chapter is the first of the intermission chapters. I'll be posting two or three more of these before jumping off into the next mission. This first intermission will be doing a lot of character development, since there is only so much you can learn about someone in a combat situation.
I've fixed the date of the beginning of the Blackstar Chronicles as the year 2368, after some research help from Cahaun and Deathpunch (Thanks!). I'm also working on writing up a history of the events that occurred up until then, and will post it here when its finished. This chapters data file contained some reference to that history, along with the first glimpse of the not-yet-in-game Mode.

Battlegrinder
07-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Chapter seven is now online. While the body rests, the mind remains awake. Vance dreams of a pivotal day in his past, shedding some light his unexplored past.
We're halfway through the intermission period now. One more chapter remains before we get onto the next arc.
I'm continuing to make adjustments to the way the story is written. Currently, I'm adding in some names and symbolism from Greek myth. If you want to get all the various references, a quick skim of Wikipedia ought to do it. This chapter's data file contains info on UC faster than light technology, which will set up some plot developments later on. This next data file will contain information on everyone's favorite spaceship, the United Colonial Ship Blackstar.

Cahaun
07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Good. Good so far

Battlegrinder
08-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Chapter 8 is posted. Vance's new gear is in, he has some new skills, and now a new mission awaits: Destroying the remaining juicers.
Intermission over! Lets get back to the action! This new arc isn't based on a level in the game, instead it is a continuation of previous events leading to a new conclusion. It look a little while to get this written (blasted real life, always getting in the way), but I think it was worth the wait. I've also added the first forum characters into the story. Congrats Cahaun and bronislav84! Keep the names coming, and maybe your character will appear in the story.

Cahaun
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Real life got in my way too :p
Well we are both in action now! My lore section is getting updated now, and I added the last in game lore before I can start going to the side lore.

Edit: Chapter 8 is locked. Says I need an access key for early access.

Battlegrinder
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Edit: Chapter 8 is locked. Says I need an access key for early access.
oops. I'll get that fixed.

Battlegrinder
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Fixed it.

Cahaun
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Read it, and I love it. It was worth the wait. A good, long chapter. You struck true with the new characters, and introducing the new factions as well.
One more thing: I've been thinking of adding your data log into my Lore section as I see this will help explain the technology used in Star Legends. I'm just asking for permission of use of the content, and I'll make a small source section so people know you provided it :)
Also, you sparked my interest in the Elf Guard again as I did mimic them before the SL game came out.

-John Cahaun

(Email me what you need looked up and I'll get it for you)

Battlegrinder
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Sure, feel fine to use the Data Files for the lore section. I'm glad you like the new characters and factions. The various galactic powers, especially the Confederacy and Federation, will be having a much larger role in later parts of the story.

Cahaun
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Great! I'll log the data in tomorrow :cool:

Battlegrinder
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
2020: First military laser invented by US military.
2032: The plague of terrorism and efforts to stop it came to an end as allied forces from the USA, Russia, Germany, Britain, and France launch a massive assault on the Middle East. The attacking military forces ignore national boundaries, pursuing terrorist and raiding suspected training camps, aiming to end the scourge of violence once and for all. Israel takes the opportunity to launch a major offensive, tripling its territory and seizing control of the Suez Canal. The massive attack triggered international outrage, but also results in crippling damage to remaining terrorist organizations.
2050: Most of Europe, South America, and North America, along with Russia, Japan and Israel join NATO. NATO, in acknowledgement of the shift in membership and purpose, changes its name to the Alliance. In response to the increasing political, economic, and military threat posed by the Alliance, most of Asia, The Middle East, and Africa form the Beijing Compact.
2055: Fusion power perfected by US-Swiss joint research program, resulting in the end of energy crisis that had plagued the world for decades. Tensions between the Alliance and Compact rise as the Alliance refuse to share the technology beyond its borders. Fusion power and trade began to draw Alliance member nations together. As relations between the two massive entities sour, a new cold war begins.
2060: Based on plans stolen from the Alliance, the first Compact fusion reactor goes online. Both the Alliance and Compact began pouring funding into R&D. Fuelled by limitless fusion power, technology advances at a rate not seen since the second world war.
2075: Alliance and Compact joint space exploration projects establish the first permanent lunar outpost. The project falls apart when the Alliance is discovered to have placed ground to space weapons emplacements on their part of the base. Both sides approach the brink of war as the Compact demands the weapons be removed, and the Alliance refuses to do so. Eventually, the Alliance dismantles the weapons systems.
2077: The Alliance completes work on the first space based shipyard and orbital elevator, and began constructing spacecraft in earth orbit. The Compact’s efforts to construct their own shipyard and elevator continue to suffer setbacks. Alliance sabotage is suspected, but never proved. Tensions once again rise when Compact ships discover that the Alliance ships have been armed. Alliance nations withdraw from treaties banning the militarization of space. Alliance R&D efforts secretly create the first nanocomputers.
2080: Compact nations launch an assault on the Alliance orbit shipyard and elevator, destroying the shipyard and damaging the elevator. The Alliance responds by issuing a declaration of war, launching a massive attack against the compact with space based weapons mounted on board their ships. Compact anti-missile lasers prevent most of the strikes from landing. Ground combat follows, and WWIII begins.
2083: The Alliance starts to be driven back on the ground, losing territory in Canada, South America, and Russia. The first lunar military base is established by the Alliance, providing a base for resupply and repair of spacecraft. The Alliance also launches the first wartime nuclear strike since world war two, obliterating the Compact Fourth Northern Army, responsible for attempting to conquer a substantial beachhead inside Canada. A Compact retaliatory strike destroys the Russian-German tenth division, along with the city of Buenos Aires it was defending. Several other strikes and counter strikes are launched, before cooler heads prevail and ban the use of nuclear weapon during the conflict. Almost five hundred million lives are lost in the exchange.
2088: Battered Alliance forces began pushing back against the compact, reclaim lost ground. They are added in this effort by the Zeus Orbital Particle Beam Cannon, more popularly called the Ion Cannon. Alliance forces make massive gains, until a Compact task force is able to destroy the Ion Cannon. Alliance forces dig in along the front lines, and the war settles into a stalemate.
2090: Alliance frontlines began to buckle, and a major Compact offensive is planned to break through Alliance lines and overrun Russia and Europe. The Alliance spaceborn naval forces finish project Star Hammer, the largest kinetic weapons platform ever built. Created by grafting dozens of capital-scale engines onto an asteroid. The massive rock was steered into Beijing, capital of the Compact. The massive impact caused the largest explosion in military history, and inflicted crippling damage across a blast area hundreds of mile wide. Almost 2 billion people are killed. The Compact crumbles, unable to sustain the war having suffer such massive loses. World War Three official ends. Almost four and a half Billion lives were lost. Seventeen percent of the Earth’s land area was uninhabitable, and trillions of dollars of damage was caused. Experts and computer models predicted it would take more than sixty years to repair the damage. The victorious Alliance had won the war, but now faced the task of rebuilding a shattered home world.
2100: First Colony outside earth orbit established on Mars. Heavy mining began in the asteroid belt. FLT research began to show fruit. Military nanotechnology becomes available to civilian sector. Most Alliance territory had been rebuilt, Compact areas were still being rebuilt.
2120: Artificial Wormhole Generator invented, FTL travel became possible. Martian colonies continued to expand, human population not residing on Earth reach 6 billion. Alpha Centari colony expedition launches. First Mode created.
2130: Earth-Centari jump gate link established. Terraforming technology becomes viable. Massive expansion of Alliance colonies begins. Population of Humans not residing on Earth is now three times larger than Earth’s population.
2150: Mode become self-aware. Humanity grants full citizenship rights to the now-sentient Mode, Who rapidly form their own nation, the Mode Confederacy. Alliance has established 30 colonies, with a population of almost 40 billion colonists. Alliance efforts to control and supply the colonies begin to falter, as the centralized government becomes overtaxed.
2175: Alliance government launches a massive reorganization. The Alliance formally dissolves, and the various colonial governments from the United Colonies as a replacement. The UC launches preparations for a second wave of mass colonization.
2190: UC launches second wave of colonization, pushing number of colonies up to two hundred. Mode Confederacy and United Colonies become formal allies, establishing trade treaties, military alliances, and exchange of technology.
2200: UC and Mode joint expedition establishes first contact with Altera. Ursan Federation formally joins preexisting treaties between Mode and UC, becoming third member of the major galactic powers. Contact with UC asteroid mining colony of Alpha five is lost. UC relief makes first contact with Vular. Colony is retaken, with massive loses. UC begins to reorganize its military after the debacle.
2240: UC military reorganization completed. UC Navy is rebuilt, with new ships, newer weapons and tactics, and massively expanded numbers. UC Marine Corps rebuilt as well. Carrying over many traditions of the earlier Alliance Marine Corps, itself a descendant of the United States Marine Corps, the UCMC becomes the largest spaceborne infantry force of the major powers. UC military launches large scale offensive to crush pirates that had established themselves across known space.
2260: Dozens of dormant Vular hives awaken across UC frontier, leading to massive effort to eradicate the infestation and protect civilians. After containing the infestation, the UC sees the need for a larger presence along the frontier.
2280: UC launches first Colonial Support Carrier (CSC), the UCS Lewis. Intended to supply colonies with everything from medical supplies to military aid, as well as serve as a mobile factory to construct needed materials, and be able to act as a mobile jump gate platform to speed transit across UC space.
2300: UCS Blackstar launched. The Blackstar is the last CSC to be launched, bringing the CSC fleet up to a total size of two dozen. UC territory now encompasses five hundred colonies, with a population of almost seven hundred billion. Mode Confederacy numbers two hundred colonies, with three hundred billion citizens. Ursan Federation controls one hundred colonies, with two hundred billion members.
2330: Colonial Independence movement begins, as a number of frontier colonies began to petition for permission to form separate nations beyond UC oversight. UC initially considers granting request, but denies petition once several coups are attempted in the colonies.
2335: Numa Prime mining colony established, and excited UC archeologists flood the planet when ruins of an unknown culture are discovered. Attempts to decipher writings discovered at the site fail, though links to other sites found in Alteran desert are found.
2340: Voleria colony founded. Heavy military presence established on colony, to serve as hub for UC and allied forces out in the frontier.
2351: New London bombing attack by terrorists triggers wars between UC and outer colonies.
2360: UC-colonial war ends with a UC victory.

bronislav84
08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Nicely done so far. Did nicely on the personality I had planned for my character. Love it.

Is it too late to mention she has naturally blue hair ingame? I guess it's genetic manipulation or something. Kinda not important really. Karaii the Commando sister is the brunette ingame but if you put her in she can just be the blue haired one I guess.

Cahaun
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
I've been slacking a bit on my part. I'll get on my PC and update my research ASAP.

Great work on the history, Battle. I'll email you my research goals later tonight.

Cahaun
08-09-2012, 08:03 PM
The Mobile App can't handle the size of the timeline >_< and there's a thunderstorm here so... I'll get it in soon.

Battlegrinder
08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Sorry its taken so long to get chapter 9 written. Between A week long hiking trip, starting college, and the larger than average amount of research I've need to do for this chapter, its taking a while to write. Hopefully I'll finish it sometime Monday. Also, I'll be posting the story to Fanfiction.net as well as figment, as Fanfiction's reader base seems a little more suited to reviewing and critiquing the story (feel free to write a review). However, due to fanfiction's posting rules, the writing commentary will be staying on figment. Hopefully my schedule will stabilize shortly, and I'll be able to continue writing at my former pace.

Battlegrinder
08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Chapter Nine is finally out. Between plotting out the story, a camping trip, moving into college, and doing the research need for various background details of the chapter, this toke a long time to write. As a product of said research, I've learned a lot about pharmaceutical production, small unit hand signals, explosives, and how US Navy ships are laid out (I suspect the last two have landed me on some kind of government watch list).
Vance and company are aboard the Bellerphon, intent on placing explosive charges on board to destroy the ship. All they have to do is sneak past the crew of juicers and break into the most secure location on the ship. How hard could it be?
I'm getting better at introducing characterization for Vance and company during the chapter, and am hoping to continue improving this as time goes on. I'm also making the story take on a slightly more mature tone, making the humor and language more teenage level.The chapter data file is one of the last covering material taken directly from the game, and from this point on, data files covering more original aspects of the universe be more prominent. I'm starting to lose ground in the fight to keep the data files short, but hopefully I'll be able to shrink them down again as time goes on.

Kiith
08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Is the story on Wattpad? Just read the 1st the chapter good job and feel free to use my main Kiith even as dead commando number 3 if you want :)

Cahaun
08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Great job in this chapter, Battle. I like how the story feel is changing and how characters are interacting. The moments when the scene changes to different group members also improves it.

Battlegrinder
08-20-2012, 04:38 PM
The moments when the scene changes to different group members also improves it.

Yeah, that's something I've been meaning to experiment with for a little while now. I'll still experimenting with how much I should use it, and when, but I'm pleased at how its worked out so far.

Cahaun
08-20-2012, 04:47 PM
The moments when the scene changes to different group members also improves it.

Yeah, that's something I've been meaning to experiment with for a little while now. I'll still experimenting with how much I should use it, and when, but I'm pleased at how its worked out so far.
It changes up the regular feel and reveals a few things characters tend to hide in certain scenarios like Cahaun voicing his worries on Vance or Karashii (can't remember if I spelled this one right) talking to the Mode.

Battlegrinder
08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Ok, I've now uploaded Blackstar Chronicles to Fanfiction.net as well as figement. Hopefully, I'll be able to get more and better reader feedback from FF.Net than from figment, given the reader demographics of the two sites. Link to FanFiction.Net Posting: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8450111/1/The_Blackstar_Chronicles

Battlegrinder
08-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Chapter Ten is now up. This chapter marks the end of the first indie arc. I'll start posting the next arc shortly (red sun). This chapter also marks the beginning of the over-arcing meta-plot that will serve to tie some of the arc together, and which will become critically important later in the story. Also, a named character dies in this chapter.
I'm working on meeting with some biology students to hammer out some of the background details for the Vular and those poison breathing Scorn things (if anyone knows what they're called, let me know), and once that meetings over 'll resume writing, and will post the results of that meeting either here or on Cahaun's Lore thread. See you soon!

Battlegrinder
08-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Is the story on Wattpad? Just read the 1st the chapter good job and feel free to use my main Kiith even as dead commando number 3 if you want :)

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you liked it. I can definitely use your name for the story. I know exactly what to use it for as well.

Cahaun
08-25-2012, 07:45 PM
You continue to make a good series of chapters. Keep it up and you'll find yourself making more than one book :p

Battlegrinder
08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
You continue to make a good series of chapters. Keep it up and you'll find yourself making more than one book :p

Maybe. I was thinking once I was done with Blackstar Chronicles, I might write some short stories exploring other aspects of Star Legends (I've been toying with the idea of writing a story of Vance's time in the Marines, for example). Or maybe something set during the timeline's WWIII.
I also might write a novelization of some other STS games. DL would be tricky, because there really isn't much of story to work with (though I could flip the story around and make a story based on the Vampire Hunters). PL has the opposite problem of having too much story. I might be able to do something with Arcane Legends, depending on how it turns out.

Cahaun
08-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd say that it's Star Legends that has the most "Open Space" for stories and adventures. It IS an entire galaxy with so many things one can delve into. I'm thinking of writing some Star Legend based ones that are showing more of what there is in the galaxy: Lifestyle, science, and the unknown. I ask myself "What if elves did a little magic?" or "What type of dark science projects did some perform?"
I'll update my lore page tomorrow as Sunday is the only day I seem to be able to relax.

Battlegrinder
08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey, does anyone know where (or if) STS posts stuff like promo and concept artwork? I've gotten several cool story ideas from the few bits I've been able to find, and I'm wondering what other cool ideas are lurking out there, waiting to be found and put to use.

Kiith
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
If you don't kill off Kiith I would like to make a spin-off book if that's ok with you. It may take me a while to post it with school and everything tho

Battlegrinder
08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
If you don't kill off Kiith I would like to make a spin-off book if that's ok with you. It may take me a while to post it with school and everything tho

I'm afraid Kiith isn't long for the world in my story, but you should definitely try to make your own story featuring someone with the name if you want. I'd prefer it you write an original story, rather than a spin off of mine, however. I've been doing a little collaboration with this story already, and it's shaping up to be a lot of work.

Cahaun
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Good luck with your story, kiith. Don't forget to check up on the Lore thread and do a little research. If you need any help on any lore related questions, just ask and I might be able to help.

Battlegrinder
09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Ok, good news! After some consulting with a few biology majors, a few questions on Yahoo answers, digging through a biology textbook, and more googling than I'd care to remember, I've finished all of the research needed for Blackstar Chronicles. I'll be posted the information I've gather later, once I've written it into something an little more readable, and the next chapter of Blackstar Chronicles will be coming out sometime before the end of the week. I'll also be doing some rewriting of chapter one to implement a few improvements people have been suggesting that would make it a little more readable.

bronislav84
09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Hmm been slacking on reading. Please tell me my character is still alive? Would be nice to keep the medic alive to you know, heal people. Maybe fix or build things.

Battlegrinder
09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Hmm been slacking on reading. Please tell me my character is still alive? Would be nice to keep the medic alive to you know, heal people. Maybe fix or build things.
Yeah, Karaai is still around. I'll be doing a bit of character development for her and the other members of Vance's squad this chapter, along with introducing the last member of the Five Man Band (check tv tropes) that will be accompanying Vance for many of his adventures.

bronislav84
09-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Awesomeness.

More character development? Yes please. I just have a couple ideas really. She likes helping people, likes technology a lot, and let's just say she's easy on the eyes. Boys like her a lot. *wink wink* The rest you can go in any direction, really.

Oh, and she likes the color green in case that matters.

Battlegrinder
09-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Ok, I've finished the rewrites of chapter one, fixing a few stylistic errors and a few other problems. I'm working on a write-up for the bio data I've gather, along with chapter 11, which should be going up within the next few days.

Cahaun
09-04-2012, 05:34 PM
You are doing great, Battle. The new corrections will definetly improve it a lot.

Battlegrinder
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok, Chapter 11 is now posted. Vance has began his investigation into the juicers and the mysterious figure that was involved in the juicer's activities. He also gets some new toys, and a mission to go mess up some pirates. Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirate's life for me!

This Chapter's data file contains information on the most unique power in the galaxy, the Ursan Federation, with a strong focus on their military organization. Incidentally, there is evidence to support the exist of the Alterran races in SL, as the Ursans are mentioned in one of the crafting items (I think credit goes to Cahaun for reminding me of that).

This chapter continues to develop the main plot for the novel, along with introducing a potential love interest for Vance, though any such romance will depend on whether or not my writing skills are up to the task. Also, while elves do exist in the story, she'll be human. I'd considered making her an elf (Ursan was ruled out immediately), but since there are only about 40 million stories with a human male winding up with some elf chick, I think that idea has been a little overused.
This Chapter also brings the full "five man band" of supporting characters together for the first time (check tvtropes if you want more info).
Vance: The Hero
Cahaun: The Lancer
Sarah: The Smart Guy
Hogan: The Big Guy (given his last name, it was really the only choice)
Karaai: The Chick

Cahaun
09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Another great update! :encouragement: I'll look over it some more.

Battlegrinder
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Update on chapter 12: I'm still working on writing it out, but I'm also running through the new cap on SL checking for anything that will change what I'm planning for the novel. I also recently got the book "how not to write a novel", and have been busy reading it and editing my novel based on what the book advised. I've also been writing up some character notes for the rest of the cast, to help me with defining their personalities a little more. Will all of this stuff to work on, plus classes and a game of Humans Vs Zombies running, I should be able to get chapter 12 finished by Friday.

Cahaun
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm going through the cap as well. I'm trying to get more info on the colony of Tarasa but that's a bit difficult as no info is given at all except that we were going to avenge the colony. The whole mind-twisting and soul stealing stuff the Scorn do really does change our aspect on the storylines that involve the Scorn by a lot.

Battlegrinder
10-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Chapter 12 is finally almost done, and should be going up sometime over the weekend. The Red Sun arc is shaping up to be a lot shorter than the previous few, though the next two arcs will be much meater. Also, I've been plotting out the end fates of the various characters I've created, with an eye toward trimming down the cast list a bit. And I'll also be changing Karaai's hair color. I'll give you a hint how: Ace Chemicals.

Battlegrinder
10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok, Chapter 12 is finally up. :banana:! Vance and company are fighting their way through the Red Sun pirate ship, and have encountered a few surprises along the way. They also meet a bear.

The data file contains info on the Ursan federation military forces, which I'd edited out of the last chapter to reduce the size of the data file.

I'm also getting to the point where the character's personalities are starting to dictate their actions. Karaai and Vance in particular have a few points I was proud of writing.

Cahaun
10-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Figment seems very bugged on mobile now so I'll wait till the fanfiction site gets updated.

Battlegrinder
10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Figment seems very bugged on mobile now so I'll wait till the fanfiction site gets updated.

I'll get the FF.net version posted shortly. Be nice if FF's uploading process wasn't such a pain in the behind.

Battlegrinder
10-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok, FF.net has been updated.

Cahaun
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok thanks, Battle. I'll start reading it soon.

Leftro
11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Very cool.

Battlegrinder
11-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks, glad you like it.

Cahaun
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry, but things have been really busy as usual so I just want to let you know I'm still supporting you and your literary project.

Battlegrinder
11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry, but things have been really busy as usual so I just want to let you know I'm still supporting you and your literary project.

Thanks, I appreciated that.

Battlegrinder
11-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Chapter 13 is out. Vance discovers that fighting through the ship to rescue Allison was the easy part. She had a mission of her own to complete, and now its up to Vance and his squad to help her out. But when things go wrong, Vance will have all his skills put to test. Also, some pirates have a really bad day.

Chapter data file contains info on the Mode, and I've also updated the data file covering the Ursan Federation with a little more info.

Also, check out the Blackstar Chronicles Description Contest over in the contests section, for another way to contribute to the novel.

bronislav84
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Whoa you've been busy Battle. I must keep up with this some more. And yay, Blue Hair soon?

Battlegrinder
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
And yay, Blue Hair soon?

Yeap, coming soon.

Would be coming sooner if I hadn't discovered Spiral Knights.

bronislav84
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Add meeeee. Karaai. I haven't played in a while, though. Don't remember if that's my name or not.

If that fails, add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bronislav84/

But you gotta tell me who you are. I don't accept just anybody you know.

Battlegrinder
11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Ok, chapter 14 is up. This might be one of the last chapter for a few weeks, since I have finals coming up, plus the next arc is very complex, and I'm still working on figuring out how its going to work.

iRusher
11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Sounds cool..

Magnetom
11-18-2012, 11:32 PM
can you put my character in "destryoasage" lvl 18

Battlegrinder
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
can you put my character in "destryoasage" lvl 18

I'm not really sure. "destryoasage" isn't really a realistic name for someone to have, and it would sound awkward to put it into the novel.

Magnetom
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm not really sure. "destryoasage" isn't really a realistic name for someone to have, and it would sound awkward to put it into the novel. thats cool

Cahaun
11-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Ok I read the story yesterday and I'm liking how you set the stage for the Red Sun story. There are a few things that could be improved (Constructive Criticism here)

The first thing I noticed was the sudden *wham* they're attacking the Red Sun pirates immediately right after a description on the history of Red Sun. Maybe if you take this area and give it a small extension and ease up on how fast this part came.

Second thing is Shortclaw's intro. For anyone who never played PL, they wouldn't know what he looks like. More detail on looks, environment, and the overall mood in the air can help readers put pictures in there head.

Third is just spell checking. Just small typos here and there.

I'll be going back over my Lore Page and probably make some fixes here and there. I know it hasn't been updated recently on the current new logs, but I'm also thinking of putting it all on a wiki site made a long time ago.

Battlegrinder
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok I read the story yesterday and I'm liking how you set the stage for the Red Sun story. There are a few things that could be improved (Constructive Criticism here)

The first thing I noticed was the sudden *wham* they're attacking the Red Sun pirates immediately right after a description on the history of Red Sun. Maybe if you take this area and give it a small extension and ease up on how fast this part came.

Second thing is Shortclaw's intro. For anyone who never played PL, they wouldn't know what he looks like. More detail on looks, environment, and the overall mood in the air can help readers put pictures in there head.

Third is just spell checking. Just small typos here and there.

I'll be going back over my Lore Page and probably make some fixes here and there. I know it hasn't been updated recently on the current new logs, but I'm also thinking of putting it all on a wiki site made a long time ago.

Thanks for the advice. One of the reason I'll be taking a while to get a new chapter up is because I'm going back and doing a lot of editing, fixing mistakes and so on.

Cahaun
11-25-2012, 07:30 PM
We just reached 100 comments! ^_^

Good book to read through when I'm bored. It also keeps me interested in SL along with all this stuff I compiled for a lore book. Levelling is still too boring in this game -_-

Battlegrinder
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
It's been a long time, but I finally have an update on my novel. I've gotten a lot of feedback from a book club group on figment, and will be working on rewriting Blackstar Chronicles to fix some of things that they pointed out. Hopefully I'll have the rewrite for chapter one posted shortly.

Battlegrinder
01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Update on chapter 1 2.0: I'm about 3/4 of the way done, and I'm hoping to be able to get it posted on Thursday or Friday depending on school work.

Battlegrinder
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Chapter 1 rewrite is finally out! I've made some major changes, fixed most of the holes, and I'm very happy with the result of my labors.

Vance Dawes was just looking for the chance to earn a few more credits when he moved out to the frontier. He hadn't expected to start the heroics on the way out, but his transport was hijacked by pirates, he didn't really have any other choice.

As always, let me know what you think, I appreciate the feedback!

Cahaun
02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey, Battle! I'll read your book again tonight and tell you what I think.

Battlegrinder
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Status Update: Chapter 2 rewrite is nearly done, and with any luck I'll have it uploaded before the weekend is out.

Battlegrinder
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Ok, Chapter 2 has been rewritten and uploaded, along with a new set of glossary upadates and an in-depth analysis of the Vular as part of the new Data File system (I reworked the concept a little to fit in with the new style I'm writing in. Data Files will be long, in-depth examination of material from the story, while the glossary will be used to track the shorter bits).
I've made a few changes during the rewrite. The characters have all been given a little more depth, a few scenes have been changed, but most importantly, I replaced Alice Young with Karaai Horoshi. Alice was created as a placeholder while I developed the main cast, so replacing her won't do much to the story.

I've gotten a few comments from the figment community that my first version was a little short on description. I've been trying to fix that in the new draft, and would appreciated any feedback regarding how well I'm doing or how much more I need to add.
Also, if anyone has ideas for an operative character, I could use the ideas. I only have one operative so far, and she's getting lonely.

Cahaun
04-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Bumping this beautiful thread to the top. Do you mind if I try and come up with an operative character for you, Battle?

Battlegrinder
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Bumping this beautiful thread to the top. Do you mind if I try and come up with an operative character for you, Battle?

I'd love it if you gave me more ideas, especially character suggestions. An operative would be especially useful, since I only have one right know, and there are a few situations were I don't want to use her/it (what's the pronoun for a robot that has a semi-female personality?).

In other news, I'm hoping to have the rewrite of chapter 3 out by next Friday, provided schoolwork doesn't get in the way.

Battlegrinder
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Chapter 3 is about halfway done (schoolboy got in the way), and I'm planning to have it posted by Sunday. I should be able to make more regular updates from this point on, since the school year is winding down and I'll have more time to write.

Battlegrinder
04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I just realized that this thread is the 4th most viewed thread on the SL general discussion page. Wow.

Cahaun
04-21-2013, 07:49 AM
I just realized that this thread is the 4th most viewed thread on the SL general discussion page. Wow.
Yup. You're doing good! Keep at it!

Battlegrinder
05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
New update: Chapter 3 is due by the end of the week (again). Blasted finals.
I've made a major decision regarding the long term goal for my novel. Instead of having one book contain the entire story of SL, I'm going to break it up between two. The current novel will be re-titled, and will be about the events of Dynastar to Shipyard. The second book will be about the Scorn war and the aftermath of that conflict. A third book is not impossible, but unlikely.

Cahaun
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
New update: Chapter 3 is due by the end of the week (again). Blasted finals.
I've made a major decision regarding the long term goal for my novel. Instead of having one book contain the entire story of SL, I'm going to break it up between two. The current novel will be re-titled, and will be about the events of Dynastar to Shipyard. The second book will be about the Scorn war and the aftermath of that conflict. A third book is not impossible, but unlikely.
I know how that feels. Fortunately, I may have my big project finished this weekend also so I'll actually have the time to do all the things I kept promising to do.

Battlegrinder
08-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Chapter 3 is finally out. Ironically starting classes has meant that I now have more time to work on my novel, so I'm hoping to get a more regular schedule going from now on. Happy reading, and as always I welcome your feedback!

Cloneo
08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Can u pls use my character,(NEO) Neo is a bounty hunter who would kill anyone for Creditrs and fame..If u could pls add him in the story i would be grateful..TY..sorry if i wasted ur time xD

Battlegrinder
08-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Can u pls use my character,(NEO) Neo is a bounty hunter who would kill anyone for Creditrs and fame..If u could pls add him in the story i would be grateful..TY..sorry if i wasted ur time xD

I think I could find a use for Neo. Thanks for your suggestion! And getting feedback/suggestions is never a waste of my time.

Conquered
08-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I think I could find a use for Neo. Thanks for your suggestion! And getting feedback/suggestions is never a waste of my time.

You really like novels etc XD

Cahaun
08-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Chapter 3 is finally out. Ironically starting classes has meant that I now have more time to work on my novel, so I'm hoping to get a more regular schedule going from now on. Happy reading, and as always I welcome your feedback!
I'll take a look at it today, and I'll also send you a PM concerning the something that requires a PM.

Itoopeo
08-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Can you add the legendary Fin there? :P

Conquered
08-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Can you add the legendary Fin there? :P

No. XD jk

Cahaun
09-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Been reading it over and over. There were a few grammatical errors here and there (Nothing huge) so I'll try and send a list of where to find them.

Battlegrinder
09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Been reading it over and over. There were a few grammatical errors here and there (Nothing huge) so I'll try and send a list of where to find them.

Yeah, that tends to happen, especially when you upload a longer chapter like this one. Every time you think all the typos are gone, another one pops up. I have a lot more respect for professional editors now then compared to when I started this project.

Cahaun
09-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, that tends to happen, especially when you upload a longer chapter like this one. Every time you think all the typos are gone, another one pops up. I have a lot more respect for professional editors now then compared to when I started this project.

I seem to be a bit slow on my responses. It's probably due to the inactivity of the SL area so I don't notice it as much.
Anyways, professional editors must be getting a pretty busy job by having to go through the entirety of the book with extreme precision.

Battlegrinder
10-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Ok, I'm almost done with the planning for the next chapter, and plan to start writing it sometime within the next few days. In the meantime, I've created a new mini-series, Ace's Round, to tell stories and adventure that are useful background and filler for the various characters, but don't really fit within the narrative structure of the main story. the first one, Take-out Takedown, is already up, and I'm hoping to get one or two more put up within the next few weeks.
I'll put links up in a little while once FF.net update my story catalog, in the meantime you can access the story from my profile page on either site.

Cahaun
10-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Ok, I'm almost done with the planning for the next chapter, and plan to start writing it sometime within the next few days. In the meantime, I've created a new mini-series, Ace's Round, to tell stories and adventure that are useful background and filler for the various characters, but don't really fit within the narrative structure of the main story. the first one, Take-out Takedown, is already up, and I'm hoping to get one or two more put up within the next few weeks.
I'll put links up in a little while once FF.net update my story catalog, in the meantime you can access the story from my profile page on either site.
I'll check those other stories out for you, Battle. I'm hoping to be able to write a review sometime to help you out soon.

Battlegrinder
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Ok, thanks.

Battlegrinder
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow. I didn't realize its been more than 4 months since I got the last chapter posted. I really need to establish a more concrete writing schedule.

Anyway, the latest chapter is now up, the updated version of chapter 4. Feel free to let me know what you think!

Cahaun
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Wow. I didn't realize its been more than 4 months since I got the last chapter posted. I really need to establish a more concrete writing schedule.

Anyway, the latest chapter is now up, the updated version of chapter 4. Feel free to let me know what you think!
Thanks for the heads up, Battlegrinder. I'll read through all of the book again tomorrow for you.
I can also say that I need a more concrete schedule too based on my random inactive behaviors on the forums and games.

Cahaun
02-09-2014, 09:19 PM
I sent you an invite into the group that I made for the Lore thread, and I'm almost done reading your fourth chapter now. I'll reread it after and try to show you a few things that could be changed or fixed in the text.

Battlegrinder
02-10-2014, 10:27 AM
I sent you an invite into the group that I made for the Lore thread, and I'm almost done reading your fourth chapter now. I'll reread it after and try to show you a few things that could be changed or fixed in the text.

Ok, thanks.

Battlegrinder
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Ok, expect the next chapter to be out within the next day or so. I'm going to try and establish a regular update schedule for my various writing projects, as between this one, my Spiral Knights novel, my planned Timeshift novelization, and a few original works I'm toying with, my schedule is about to get very busy. ATM, I'm thinking of going to biweekly updates, with maybe the odd short story or other works every three or four weeks.

Cahaun
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Ok, expect the next chapter to be out within the next day or so. I'm going to try and establish a regular update schedule for my various writing projects, as between this one, my Spiral Knights novel, my planned Timeshift novelization, and a few original works I'm toying with, my schedule is about to get very busy. ATM, I'm thinking of going to biweekly updates, with maybe the odd short story or other works every three or four weeks.

I give up on trying to give promises as it always seems to be very weak on my part. I try and try to put in a timeframe for my review on your chapters, but I either procrastinate or just get too busy with other ones I make. :(
Anyways, keep up the good work. I find the stories you made very interesting.

Sent from my Number One Assistant

Battlegrinder
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Chapter 5 is now up. With the new biweekly schedule, 6 will probably be going up on march 28th or so. Still have to get the glossary updated (any feedback as to what you'd like to see there would be handy), and I need add the standard "this isn't my IP, please don't sue me" boilerplate.

Cahaun
03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Chapter 5 is now up. With the new biweekly schedule, 6 will probably be going up on march 28th or so. Still have to get the glossary updated (any feedback as to what you'd like to see there would be handy), and I need add the standard "this isn't my IP, please don't sue me" boilerplate.

I'll try to read the new chapter tonight.

Dragoonclaws
03-12-2014, 07:50 PM
:) It's very nice to see a such project. Go for it guys! You rock!

Cahaun
03-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I tried to read the story, on my phone, in the fanfiction website, but the paragraphs were quite jumbled to the point in which nothing made sense. I'll get on a desktop computer tomorrow and see how goes in Figment.

Battlegrinder
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I tried to read the story, on my phone, in the fanfiction website, but the paragraphs were quite jumbled to the point in which nothing made sense. I'll get on a desktop computer tomorrow and see how goes in Figment.

Looks like some kind of error with the new upload, where it screwed up the paragraph spacing and bolded all the places that should have been in routes. weird. I'll sort it put tomorrow.

Cahaun
03-13-2014, 04:50 PM
I visited the chapter again on Figment today, and it looks like everything is all working as it should. I'll try to read through it all once I finish my pile of Calculus :dejection:

Battlegrinder
03-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I visited the chapter again on Figment today, and it looks like everything is all working as it should. I'll try to read through it all once I finish my pile of Calculus :dejection:

Ouch, Calc sucks. I'm so glad that I won't have to deal with it in my career.

I also got the FF.net upload fixed. That was a weird bug, I've never had something like that happen before.

Zapata Ramirez
03-19-2014, 01:16 AM
muy bueno . me das buenas ideasd

Cahaun
04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm still not good in getting back to you about your book, Battlegrinder :(

Sorry about that.

Battlegrinder
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?141000-Star-Legends-Community-Spotlight-Winner!-March-2014

Wow, how did I not notice this? Thanks a lot for the support STS! Guess I should work on getting updates out more consistently now.

Speaking of which, the next chapter is now out. Vance has wrapped up the Dynastar job, and now find himself on the trail of the mysterious figures that ambushed his squad inside the lab. Also, he goes shopping, and get's roped into doing a small favor for an old friend.

Expect the next chapter by the end of next week, and this time, I mean it.

Cahaun
08-08-2014, 07:23 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?141000-Star-Legends-Community-Spotlight-Winner!-March-2014

Wow, how did I not notice this? Thanks a lot for the support STS! Guess I should work on getting updates out more consistently now.

Speaking of which, the next chapter is now out. Vance has wrapped up the Dynastar job, and now find himself on the trail of the mysterious figures that ambushed his squad inside the lab. Also, he goes shopping, and get's roped into doing a small favor for an old friend.

Expect the next chapter by the end of next week, and this time, I mean it.

Welcome back, Battlegrinder! It's good to see you again, and this new chapter should help get me back into the book.

Battlegrinder
08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Welcome back, Battlegrinder! It's good to see you again, and this new chapter should help get me back into the book.

I hope you like it, and it's good to be getting back into STS.

Intersection
08-12-2014, 09:18 PM
would be honored if you used the character kanozaki (:
Yea I would be honoured to meet kanozaki bam

Cahaun
08-12-2014, 09:41 PM
I hope you like it, and it's good to be getting back into STS.

Thanks. I hope you don't mind, but I started to read it from the beginning again since it's been a while since I last read the book.

I've tried to get back into STS games, but the lack of friends to play with really does hurt the effort.

Battlegrinder
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Chapter 7 is now out! Cliches are subverted, buildings get burned down, and I solve a minor issue the last chapter left hanging. Also, the second forum character gets debuted, along with completing the set-up for the next story arc.

Also, some humorous alternate chapter titles:

Laundry days gets hardcore
Burn everything, it's the only way to be sure
Soap, Softener, and shotguns
No, not the one from Left for Dead
Surprise, you're on Covert Camera!

Battlegrinder
09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Ok, next chapter should be coming out within this next week, depending on how fast we get wifi access set up during our move.

Conquered
09-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Ok, next chapter should be coming out within this next week, depending on how fast we get wifi access set up during our move.

Booyah!! More Plz! :D