PDA

View Full Version : Time setting of Blackstar?

Battlegrinder
07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know what year the Blackstar Chronicles take place in? I'm trying to write a novelization of the game, and I'm having trouble with establishing elements of the back story without knowing any rough dates. If anyone has any information on the in-universe history of the game, I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: Consider this Thread Closed. I've set the stories date as 2368. Thanks to everyone for you assistance figuring out the date.

HunterSLAYER
07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know what year the Blackstar Chronicles take place in? I'm trying to write a novelization of the game, and I'm having trouble with establishing elements of the back story without knowing any rough dates. If anyone has any information on the in-universe history of the game, I'd appreciate the help.

Www.star-legends.com
This should help :)

Sent from The Vular Hive! XD

Deathpunch
07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm going with 1492.

-----
NOTE TO READER: This post should most likely be read with a sarcastic tone.

Swimmingstar
07-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Www.star-legends.com
This should help :)

Sent from The Vular Hive! XD

Is that an official site/wiki?

Popular
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
2999 :p

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
"Steel wasn't used for 500 years"

Ihavenokills
07-22-2012, 02:48 PM
who says it wasn't on a different planet ahead of planet earths time :0

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 03:18 PM
who says it wasn't on a different planet ahead of planet earths time :0
Who says it wasn't a long time ago in a galaxy far far away? >_>

Ihavenokills
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Who says it wasn't a long time ago in a galaxy far far away? >_>

i see what you did there

Aaroniero Arruruerie
07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
do what the star wars guys did.

Battlegrinder
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
do what the star wars guys did.

Regrettably, not an option. I'm looking for a rough time period so I can do a few things for my story. I'd like to establish a history for the UC, how many colonies it has, rough human population, how long ago certain events occurred to determine people's reactions to to them (there was about 100 years between the civil war and the civil rights movement, and pinning down what attitude characters will have toward that idea will help bring a story to life, for example), and a host of other small details to flesh out the story.

rinzler
07-22-2012, 05:36 PM
hmmm this is a good question lol. I'll find out.

Cahaun
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Through personal study and close analysis, I can only tell you the earliest it can be. I have found many excerpts from articles from the Future Tech. The latest article excerpt I can find dates at June 2350 while they talked about the gas mask. Gallowtech was reviewed a few times from 2343-2347. The type VI Flashguns were reviewed in December 2348. Also, I looked into other advertisements and brochures like the Global Sales Brochure and the Blaster Monthly but I found nothing new yet.

Battlegrinder
07-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I've found the same type of info. I'd guess the year is somewhere in the the mid to late 24th century, expect for that blurb about steel being obsolete for 500 years. Unless it referred to steel not being used in body armor for 500 years, which fits historical data. If that's true, it neatly dovetails with the excerpts you found and places the date in 24th. If not, the date is somewhere in an range between 2500 and the 31st century. Personally, I'm leaning toward the mid 24th date, and will start basing my assumptions on that unless someone finds a more accurate date within the next week or so.

Ozuyucalebam
07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
http://blackstargame.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Legends:_The_Blackstar_Chronicles

Found this while back...its not Much but seems to place it in the 41st century....

Cahaun
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Seems that the setting was changed. That wiki doesn't seem very accurate with it saying the cap is 25 and the PvP not out yet, but we can just see when a developer looks it over.
I personally think they changed the dates compared to the old SL they were making but ditched before they made PL. They did change a few more things like the Mode not being present in the story so far.

Ozuyucalebam
07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Seems that the setting was changed. That wiki doesn't seem very accurate with it saying the cap is 25 and the PvP not out yet, but we can just see when a developer looks it over.
I personally think they changed the dates compared to the old SL they were making but ditched before they made PL. They did change a few more things like the Mode not being present in the story so far.
True its very outdated lol. Eh i thought it would help a little.

Battlegrinder
07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
True its very outdated lol. Eh i thought it would help a little.

Actually, it was quite helpful. The date information was not particularly useful, true. But I had completely forgotten about the Mode, and being reminded of their exsistance opens up some new story opportunities, as well as raising a few questions for the slouch-o chapter that I hadn't considered.

Ozuyucalebam
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Actually, it was quite helpful. The date information was not particularly useful, true. But I had completely forgotten about the Mode, and being reminded of their exsistance opens up some new story opportunities, as well as raising a few questions for the slouch-o chapter that I hadn't considered.
Glad I could help. :-) I knew someday that bookmark could be useful... Good luck with your novel. Cheers!

Cahaun
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
"PlastiSteel was developed in the early 24th century. It revolutionized industry."
- Professor Wilkens, Historian

"Light as plastic but as hard as steel? Too bad steel hasn't been used in 250 years."

I'm using these new found info and others to pinpoint an estimate date. So far I'm sticking to the 24th century.

Deathpunch
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
"PlastiSteel was developed in the early 24th century. It revolutionized industry."

"Light as plastic but as hard as steel? Too bad steel hasn't been used in 250 years."

I'm using these new found info and others to pinpoint an estimate date. So far I'm sticking to the 24th century.

I would venture to say mid to late 24 century. Mostly due to the first quote. Stuff such as plastisteel would take years, if not decades to filter down through all the various military and industrial concerns to reach the wide availablity that would enable random mercenaries to purchase it for reasonable prices on the open market.

EDIT: Atomite, and custom atomite, sleeves description dates it after January 2336.

-----

Cahaun
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

I would venture to say mid to late 24 century. Mostly due to the first quote. Stuff such as plastisteel would take years, if not decades to filter down through all the various military and industrial concerns to reach the wide availablity that would enable random mercenaries to purchase it for reasonable prices on the open market.

EDIT: Atomite, and custom atomite, sleeves description dates it after January 2336.

-----
True. I'm still working on it :p
Great work. I think now we can say it's in the now late 24th to perhaps the 25th century. Still waiting for an official date, but I think we are doing great.

(I try to read that in a sarcastic tone, but I think it was one of those exceptions)

Deathpunch
07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
True. I'm still working on it :p
Great work. I think now we can say it's in the now late 24th to perhaps the 25th century. Still waiting for an official date, but I think we are doing great.

(I try to read that in a sarcastic tone, but I think it was one of those exceptions)

Lol, it was.

EDIT: Surplus Flextronic boots dates it after August 2343.
EDIT 2: Class IV Holo-Plate helm dates it after October 2344.

-----

Cahaun
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks, DP. If you have any leads that can reveal the time setting, just pm me or Battle in game or just post it here and save LOTS of time :p
I'm going to do more runs through Cycorp and get more things written down.