PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on Elixir Prices

WoundedEagle
07-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey everyone!

Is it just me, or is 80 platinum an extremely hefty amount of platinum for an elixir? I'm not straight-forwardly pointing out the "WEEK-LONG DOUBLE XP" elixir, but mostly the "Shamrock Thrasher Punch". (Btw what happened to 7k for a 3x elxir? I swear non-plat buyers could enjoy more than 1.5 exp at some point [excluding the 5 min. daily 3x]).

Here's how I see it: For 30 Platinum, you can purchase a Loco's Playa Drank that gives you 4x Experience for 60 min. But for only 10 more platinum, you can purchase a Thrasher Pwnage Punch that gives you the nice 4x Experience for 60 min. PLUS 3x Armor, 3x Damage, "improved luck" (35% chance of reroll) and a 30% Speed Boost for also 60 min. That much more - for 10 platinum. (I'm not saying that's bad; just hold on a second).

Now, you can spend a whopping 80 platinum and get everything that a Thrasher Pwnage Punch (4x Experience, 3x Armor, 3x Damage, "improved luck" [35% chance of reroll] and a 30% Speed Boost for 60 min.) has for a Shamrock Thrasher Punch, but instead of "improved luck" (35% chance of reroll), you get 100%! That's amazing! But is it worth 40 platinum more?

Honestly, STS just took Shamus' Shamrock Ale (100% Chance ro Re-roll for 30 min.) and multiplied it's price, time, and re-roll percentage (give or a take 30% :untroubled:) by two to get 60 min., then added it to Thrasher Pwnage Punch.

Shouldn't Shamrock Thrasher Punch be way cheaper (50 - 60 platinum)??? Compared to the jump in stat increase from Loco's Playa Drank to Thrasher Pwnage Punch for measily 10 platinum, that's a hefty price at 40 platinum more for simply luck.

Can a dev shine a bit of light on this?

This was not intended to be a rant or to rage. I am just trying to see the light in spending so much for so little (I understand it's just pixels).

Thanks for tuning in,

~WE

RedRyder
07-27-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm sure we all thought of this, but sadly, I don't see this changing. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

WoundedEagle
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm sure we all thought of this, but sadly, I don't see this changing. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Exactly. And while we're here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGKCZvCUh8

Bebsi
07-27-2012, 01:13 AM
There will be no discounts on the Shamrock.
It's a money making machine since Humania came out.

I tried to buy it over guild hall but this would be the only elixier that u couldn't buy discounted over guild hall :beaten:
Anyway, I think now that many ppl have their Humania sets, Shamrock sales might have decreased.
So bringing elite stuff to Nuris was perfect timing to push Shamrock sales again ^_^

80 plat (or 76) is quite a lot but I thought it was worth it before they nerfed the drop rate in Humania :devilish:

Lowlyspy
07-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Welcome to the Plat gen, don't let the door from the good ol' days hit you on your way in.

Phoenixking
07-27-2012, 01:37 AM
People are used to it now

Ortalan
07-27-2012, 02:11 AM
I agree that shamrock thrasher punch is rather overpriced at 80 plat. And even on its second appearance on deal-of-the-day, the discount was a paltry 5% (76 plat instead of 80) when thrasher is featured on d-o-d with a 25% discount (30 plat instead of 40). As if that wasn't bad enough, isn't today the third time shamrock thrasher punch has been d-o-d? And it's back up to 80plat - full price?!?!? Am I missing something? I mean other than plat?

Whirlzap
07-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Because combo elixirs are there to save you time and hassle of buying one every five minutes.

Shamrock Thrasher is basically 2 Shamrocks and a thrasher.
You buy a Shamrock every 30 Min, so it's not aggravating at all.
If STS were to make Shamrock cheaper, say 15 Plat, then no one buy the Shamrock Thrash for 80 Plat but just get a Shamrock every 30 minutes.

The Flash
07-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Hey everyone!

Is it just me, or is 80 platinum an extremely hefty amount of platinum for an elixir? I'm not straight-forwardly pointing out the "WEEK-LONG DOUBLE XP" elixir, but mostly the "Shamrock Thrasher Punch". (Btw what happened to 7k for a 3x elxir? I swear non-plat buyers could enjoy more than 1.5 exp at some point [excluding the 5 min. daily 3x]).

Here's how I see it: For 30 Platinum, you can purchase a Loco's Playa Drank that gives you 4x Experience for 60 min. But for only 10 more platinum, you can purchase a Thrasher Pwnage Punch that gives you the nice 4x Experience for 60 min. PLUS 3x Armor, 3x Damage, "improved luck" (35% chance of reroll) and a 30% Speed Boost for also 60 min. That much more - for 10 platinum. (I'm not saying that's bad; just hold on a second).

Now, you can spend a whopping 80 platinum and get everything that a Thrasher Pwnage Punch (4x Experience, 3x Armor, 3x Damage, "improved luck" [35% chance of reroll] and a 30% Speed Boost for 60 min.) has for a Shamrock Thrasher Punch, but instead of "improved luck" (35% chance of reroll), you get 100%! That's amazing! But is it worth 40 platinum more?

Honestly, STS just took Shamus' Shamrock Ale (100% Chance ro Re-roll for 30 min.) and multiplied it's price, time, and re-roll percentage (give or a take 30% :untroubled:) by two to get 60 min., then added it to Thrasher Pwnage Punch.

Shouldn't Shamrock Thrasher Punch be way cheaper (50 - 60 platinum)??? Compared to the jump in stat increase from Loco's Playa Drank to Thrasher Pwnage Punch for measily 10 platinum, that's a hefty price at 40 platinum more for simply luck.

Can a dev shine a bit of light on this?

This was not intended to be a rant or to rage. I am just trying to see the light in spending so much for so little (I understand it's just pixels).

Thanks for tuning in,

~WE

They just made it convenient so you dont have to remove luck and buy shamus x2. Nothing was changed but making it convenient and you dont like that???

Plaguemaw
07-27-2012, 04:36 AM
As for the shamrock thrash being the deal of the day, how is it considered a "deal" at full price?

Divinemayhem lv71 bear
Divinemayhemz lv70 mage
Divinexmayhem lv70 bird
Ewwyuckgross lv56 bird
Sandblast lv51 mage
Feedyourhead lv30 bear
Mayhembeak lv30 bird
Maliciousbear lv25 bear
Hostilebear lv22 bear
Divmay lv18 bear
Plaguemaw lv17 bear
Minimayhem lv10 bear
Hostilemerch lv4 bird

demoncrate
07-27-2012, 05:26 AM
I am with the devs on this one. Those guys are shrewd business people.
75 plat = 10 dollar purchase. So if you want it you will have to buy the next plat deal at 20 dollars.

I wanted to buy the new 2x xp one and then use gold elixirs to level up to 71, but since I don't have 20 dollars in bank and free plat offers don't work, you have won this round STS.

Cahaun
07-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Welcome to the Plat gen, don't let the door from the good ol' days hit you on your way in.
I keep getting hit over and over.

McBain
07-27-2012, 06:00 AM
It's crazy to me that people spend that much money on this game. Sorry, STS, you do a great job and all and I appreciate you guys, but...wow. All this plat spending is getting ludicrous.

Otukura
07-27-2012, 06:11 AM
The elixir came out almost immediately after there was a post talking about how a person buys thrasher, deletes the default luck, and the buy the shamrock elixir. I think STS just tried to make it a little easier.

NotYoCookiez
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Only thing that bugs me is the discount on the shamrock thrasher. In guild hall it's 76, 4 plat discount which is the same as 4x thrasher thingy.

Usually the higher the price the higher the discount but not in this case

Samhayne
07-27-2012, 08:35 AM
They just made it convenient so you dont have to remove luck and buy shamus x2. Nothing was changed but making it convenient and you dont like that???

That was the aim of the new Shamrock Thrasher.

As for why it is on the Deal of the Day, it's to advertise that it is now available.

Chopper
07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Deal of the Day should actually be a DEAL. Otherwise, it seems a bit misleading.

outsock
07-27-2012, 08:54 AM
so shud i by 1?

wvhills
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
You guys should come over to DL, no elixirs needed. Everyone is on the same playing level.

Taaralatie
07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
It's crazy to me that people spend that much money on this game. Sorry, STS, you do a great job and all and I appreciate you guys, but...wow. All this plat spending is getting ludicrous.
But if it weren't for the platinum spending there wouldn't be a game. STS has people to pay...they don't all work for free unfortunately. They have families to feed. If you want an exciting game to play you have to have pay for exciting developers. They don't come cheap. Ultimately it comes down to choice. I could afford to buy an 80 plat elixir but I choose not to. I do however buy an exceedingly large number of 40 plat elixirs but, again, this is a choice. If no one used real money to support a game...how long would it remain on the market for you to play? The great thing is that you don't have to pay play. You can get all the content for free. Awesome!

wvhills
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
But if it weren't for the platinum spending there wouldn't be a game. STS has people to pay...they don't all work for free unfortunately. They have families to feed. If you want an exciting game to play you have to have pay for exciting developers. They don't come cheap. Ultimately it comes down to choice. I could afford to buy an 80 plat elixir but I choose not to. I do however buy an exceedingly large number of 40 plat elixirs but, again, this is a choice. If no one used real money to support a game...how long would it remain on the market for you to play? The great thing is that you don't have to pay play. You can get all the content for free. Awesome!

No one expects devs to work for free. What many of us don't like is the devs choice to sell elixirs as a business model. Elixirs are too game changing for some of us and we'd prefer they go a different direction to make money. DL sells weapons, vanities, etc and plat elixirs are on the way out (at least the luck elixirs). IMO, that's a much better business model than selling elixirs.

I admit, most of us who are against elixirs are oldies who remember what PL was like before elixirs when you actually had to have bears who gathered, mages who buffed and healed and birds who used ranged and killed. Now all you have to do is use a thrasher and mash ur buttons.

Elyseon
07-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Whatever happened to those subscription things they were planning a while back, it was like $5 a month for unlimited respecs and half priced elixirs

Phoenixking
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
You guys should come over to DL, no elixirs needed. Everyone is on the same playing level.
They have strong weapons that you get by getting lucky or buying it many times with platinum, I dunno

DexGOD
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Might I add the 80 platinum DotD makes zero sense since with the ordinary thrasher as DotD the same thing becomes achievable for 70. You would need to buy 1 ordinary thrasher (30 platinum), cross out luck and then 2 Shamus luck (20 platinum each), adding up to 70 platinum.

Taaralatie
07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
No one expects devs to work for free. What many of us don't like is the devs choice to sell elixirs as a business model. Elixirs are too game changing for some of us and we'd prefer they go a different direction to make money. DL sells weapons, vanities, etc and plat elixirs are on the way out (at least the luck elixirs). IMO, that's a much better business model than selling elixirs.

I admit, most of us who are against elixirs are oldies who remember what PL was like before elixirs when you actually had to have bears who gathered, mages who buffed and healed and birds who used ranged and killed. Now all you have to do is use a thrasher and mash ur buttons.

I too am an 'oldie' and have been in pl from virtually the start. I am also familiar with working in a team and using my skills. I do not use a thrasher in every run but, the choice is mine to make. I would be very interested to know exactly how much money DL makes per person as compared to PL. I consider myself a large platinum user in PL. However, in DL, apart from my firebrands and a couple of respecs, I have spent virtually nothing else. Would be interesting to compare the games and how much money they make. Obviously my bank manager would prefer I stick to DL. But, again, I reiterate, it comes down to choices. Sometimes it sounds like people who choose not to use platinum in PL are condescending about people who do use it when this is really the only way we can support the game we love. I have no problem at all playing with people who have never used platinum at all. Choices. My choice may not be your choice. The game supports all users. No one is forced to buy or use platinum.

Taaralatie
07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
They have strong weapons that you get by getting lucky or buying it many times with platinum, I dunno

That is very true. At least in pl you know what you are spending your platinum on. In DL, firebrands ( or similar weapons) could come (if you are exceedingly lucky) on your first try or on your thirtieth!

WoundedEagle
07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I understand that it is good business technique and that it was to replace luck from Thrasher with luck from Shamus. I'm just saying that the price is a bit too much for a simple luck bump.

I see how you get 3x Armor, 3x Damage, "improved luck" (35% chance of reroll) and a 30% Speed Boost for only 10 platinum more with Thrasher, and then I see only 100% luck for 40 platinum more. It most likely won't be changed though, because people are buying them and STS sees no harm in the outrageous price.

Bebsi
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

That's why I started playing DL lately xD
Am at lvl 25, 24 and 21 now.

Now that they removed the energy system I can kick as many zombie a$$es as I like lol

wvhills
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I too am an 'oldie' and have been in pl from virtually the start. I am also familiar with working in a team and using my skills. I do not use a thrasher in every run but, the choice is mine to make. I would be very interested to know exactly how much money DL makes per person as compared to PL. I consider myself a large platinum user in PL. However, in DL, apart from my firebrands and a couple of respecs, I have spent virtually nothing else. Would be interesting to compare the games and how much money they make. Obviously my bank manager would prefer I stick to DL. But, again, I reiterate, it comes down to choices. Sometimes it sounds like people who choose not to use platinum in PL are condescending about people who do use it when this is really the only way we can support the game we love. I have no problem at all playing with people who have never used platinum at all. Choices. My choice may not be your choice. The game supports all users. No one is forced to buy or use platinum.

I am very condescending on those who use elixirs because of their play style. It's virtually impossible to find a group without at least one roided out bird or Mage who doesn't want to stay with the group and instead rushes ahead nuking everything in their path. Yes, it is an individual's choice but their choice effects my game play. Well, it did before I quit and started playing dl. Hehe.

frostine
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
I've played this game on and off since the game first came out however long ago that was. I miss the days when you didn't get booted from maps you are well qualified (correct lvl range) and geared to play simply because you refuse to spend plat on thrasher and whatever other elix there is out there. I've used the free daily elix but I honestly don't think I need thrasher juice...I can play fine without it. There was a time when these things didn't exist...heh.

DL is great now. I sense it wasn't well received at first so they made the game more 'affordable'...I'm sensing if you're a person who is a vanity addict you could spend some plat there. I very much disliked DL when it first came out...now I'm loving it. I play two vamps.

As for SL, well, everything about that game seems much less reasonable from gear drop rates, coin accrual, and stim pack prices. I mean, ppl will try to run maps not using skills bc they claim they can't afford stim packs (they cost coins not plat). This game was generally liked in the beginning so the devs clearly didn't see a need to balance these sorts of things even though I'm sure ppl may agree things could be better balanced here.

In short, if you don't like a feature in a game don't support it. If the devs see a trend they will try to somehow find a middle road solution to make players happy and still make money. All in all this company isn't anywhere near as bad as some other ones out there. At the end of the day you can make a character and lvl to end game content without feeling like you MUST spend plat to play well and succeed. If it were any other way I wouldn't play SPS games. There are other games out there that are free but have zero in game currency option for buying hp and mana pots (cough:celticheroes:cough)...you have to buy premium currency with real money for what I consider a basic in game need...that is just a miserable drain on your real life wallet.

Thrashy juice isn't a necessity. I'm sure it makes the game much easier however. But to be booted from a map bc your not rocking the juice, well that is just lame. LOL.

Riccits
07-30-2012, 09:16 AM

also O&C is free of those. thats a really good part of that game.

Ortalan
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Apparently, even the pathetic 5% discount of 7 6plat for shamrock thrasher on d-o-d seems to have been an error... now it's d-o-d full price???? I mean, at least offer something else as the deal and advertise the shamrock another way, no?

frostine
07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
The 'thrash or leave" mentality that has plagued this game is weak sauce. The elixers really are game changing even if you chose to not use them. It seems as though all people do is mash buttons without thinking about skill...makes me think elix are OP resulting in people who don't know how to play the game without them. It really is difficult to find groups without someone juiced up running ahead of everyone. I hopped into a pug today and was booted at the door with msg: thrash or leave. LOL. They won't be laughing a month from now when they (or their parents) receive their credit card bill. :tickled_pink:

WhoIsThis
07-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Whatever happened to those subscription things they were planning a while back, it was like $5 a month for unlimited respecs and half priced elixirs

You objected to it when I suggested it.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?48434-An-elixir-that-lasts-for-one-year

So basically an anti-skill elixir?

The thing is ... with or without a yearly subscription, anti-skill has become the norm.

On that note, nothing is going to change unless people don't buy the 80 plat elixir in which case, I imagine STS will put a deal on and perhaps make a permanent lowering of the price. Until then, pay the 80 an hour or live without it.

Edit: Actually from a business standpoint, it might make sense to raise prices to 100 plat an elixir - people are clearly buying and people who buy such things are probably not price sensitive.

I don't like it any more than you do. But it is what it is - I just don't use the 80 plat ones.

McBain
07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I also think the is week-long 2x xp elixir we're seeing right now essentially means there likely won't be any more double-xp weekends/events in the future either.

Elyseon
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM

You objected to it when I suggested it.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?48434-An-elixir-that-lasts-for-one-year

So basically an anti-skill elixir?

The thing is ... with or without a yearly subscription, anti-skill has become the norm.

On that note, nothing is going to change unless people don't buy the 80 plat elixir in which case, I imagine STS will put a deal on and perhaps make a permanent lowering of the price. Until then, pay the 80 an hour or live without it.

Edit: Actually from a business standpoint, it might make sense to raise prices to 100 plat an elixir - people are clearly buying and people who buy such things are probably not price sensitive.

I don't like it any more than you do. But it is what it is - I just don't use the 80 plat ones.
Not really the same, half price elixirs doesn't mean you constantly are running under the influence of elix

Bring back paid campaigns tho
It would be elixir free with different drops than the other dungeon of the same level

Rauekat
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Still with you wounded! ;)

vampinoy
07-30-2012, 09:50 PM
also O&C is free of those. thats a really good part of that game.

On topic: Why not just host your own game and boot (or ask to leave) those people with elixir or join a locked party group with your buddies that fits your "preference"? Whatever happened to "making a party"? If other people don't know how to play the game because of elixirs, that's their problem, why do you have to burden yourself with their problem? What's the logical thing to do? Look for people who knows how to play the game without elixir, right? :P Problem solved, no? yes? no?...:P I've never encountered this problem because I host my own games, I boot people I don't think fits my preferred players, problem solved :P Easy. If I can do it, you can do it, yes? :P

PS/Off-topic @ Riccits: Just to add, so many good things going on for O&C, and I agree the non-existence of elixir-abuse is a very good plus (Not sure which server you're on though LOL). Much love to PL, but O&C is simply the best mobile MMO out there as of now (unless WoW finally decides to port their game to IOS/Android...maybe 2013? C'mon Blizzard make it happen).

Riccits
07-31-2012, 01:49 AM
PS/Off-topic @ Riccits: Just to add, so many good things going on for O&C, and I agree the non-existence of elixir-abuse is a very good plus (Not sure which server you're on though LOL). Much love to PL, but O&C is simply the best mobile MMO out there as of now (unless WoW finally decides to port their game to IOS/Android...maybe 2013? C'mon Blizzard make it happen).

O&C is a good game and has much potential, needs to be expanded a lot. iam on AF-Server btw. GL needs to keep game cleaner and give a better customer support.
if i like a game i would always prefer to pay a monthly fee and no ingame items wich boosts anything or whatever. what ppl spends for PL, they could play WoW for years...
and yes, if WoW ever comes to portable devices...^^ :triumphant:

Brave Sir Robin
07-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree with Robert.

I would prefer if elixirs enhanced only non-gameplay related attributes (e.g. xp gain and luck).
As they are now, they remind me of the cheat codes we used in difficult games (unlimited lives, shield etc :monkey:). In PVE non-elixired players (no matter how skilled they might be) are unproductive compared to thrasher players and skills go out of the window. Well, not entirely but surely when elixired we are playing a different game. And something else: do leaderboards mean anything anymore? :concern:

However, I understand that combo elixirs are a great source of income for the company, which is a business - not a charity (as it has come to my attention :afro:).

Regarding elixir prices, no idea. Personally, I think that even 40 plat =(about) $1.8 (if you buy the 2k pack) is expensive for 1 hour of 'pwnage' considering the prices of other games in store / subscription MMOs. I like the weeklong 2x xp elix though, suits my style :positive:) Reasonably priced as well.

But that's just my opinion. The items are priced so high only because they sell well at that level, which is good for the people who buy them and the company. In fact, it seems that so many people buy those elixirs, that there is now content to make the game challenging even for users who are always on thrashers (i.e. insanely rare loot, new elite dungeon :nightmare:).

Deathofan
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I found a very cheap version of the 80platinum thrasher shamrock elixer.... Easy all you do is wait for thrasher to be on daily deal for 30plats, go to your elixer page and delete the 35% re-roll elixer and buy shamrock 30mins for 16platinum in guild hall after the 30mins go to guild hall and rebuy again 30+16+16=62plats compared to 80>_<

WoundedEagle
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I found a very cheap version of the 80platinum thrasher shamrock elixer.... Easy all you do is wait for thrasher to be on daily deal for 30plats, go to your elixer page and delete the 35% re-roll elixer and buy shamrock 30mins for 16platinum in guild hall after the 30mins go to guild hall and rebuy again 30+16+16=62plats compared to 80>_<

My gosh you're a genius....

Deathofan
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
My gosh you're a genius.... ....ik whats your point here, yeah this 80plat elixer is just like buying a thrasher and two shamrock elixers at its original prices. Like you said before, 4xs exp elixer is 20plats and for 10plats more you can get 35% more speed 3xs dmg 3xs armor and etc, I agree with you they could as well lower the elixer to at least 60plats to put some buy-one get-one free shamus sense into it...

WoundedEagle
07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
....ik whats your point here, yeah this 80plat elixer is just like buying a thrasher and two shamrock elixers at its original prices. Like you said before, 4xs exp elixer is 20plats and for 10plats more you can get 35% more speed 3xs dmg 3xs armor and etc, I agree with you they could as well lower the elixer to at least 60plats to put some buy-one get-one free shamus sense into it...

I hope you know I wasn't being sarcastic. That's really smart.

Deathofan
07-31-2012, 08:39 PM
I hope you know I wasn't being sarcastic. That's really smart. hmm then I misinterpreted the periods "genious...." >_<

WoundedEagle
07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
hmm then I misinterpreted the periods "genious...." >_<

I just thought it was so clever. I hadn't thought of doing so myself. I was 100% serious.

Deathofan
07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
I just thought it was so clever. I hadn't thought of doing so myself. I was 100% serious. lol I still smell sarcasm there, but if its not ty anyways

WoundedEagle
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
lol I still smell sarcasm there, but if its not ty anyways

It's not sarcasm.