PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the helm contest! Important!

KingFu
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Due to the recent disagreements, I decided to gather everyone's point of view on the helm contest. I think it is fair enough to say that not everyone is on the same boat in this discussion.

Please pick the party that best suits your thoughts on how the winning helm should be decided.

Party A: The devs (game developers) should choose the winning helm themselves and announce who won.

Party B: The devs (game developers) should pick their top 3-5 helms that have the best design, and can be best implemented into the game and have the community vote amongst those 3-5 designs.

Party C: The devs (game developers) should leave the polls how they are and continue how the winning helm is decided.

Attention Party B participants: I would like to have it be that only people with 25-75+ posts can vote on the winning helm to prevent people from making new forum accounts and voting for their own design, so after you list your party, please say Yes, or No, to whether you object to this suggestion or not. (Yes meaning make the 25-75+ post requirement to vote, and No meaning not to have the requirement. (Suggested by Kurlz, thanks!)

When I feel enough people have given their opinion, I will message a dev and bring it to their attention if it hasn't been yet.

Thanks for your votes, and please keep this forum clean. No flaming, and/or slander.

Thank you!

Cascade
08-27-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm in between Party A and B

Kurlz
08-27-2010, 12:20 AM
B, yes djeeujfjrjejwoifjeefhfhe

Cascade
08-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I haven't what is the suggestion?

RedRyder
08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Anything but C

Haikus
08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
A and yes i believe they should have atleast 20...50-75 is a bit much considering theres tons of long time players in game who havent even made a forum account yet>.<...example i only made mine cuz u were always on it and now i love it>.<

Kingofhurtz
08-27-2010, 12:26 AM
I actually am with party D, which is night archer's suggestion(page 15 or 16 I believe of the polls since I was too lazy to copy and paste) but it's too late for that so I'm gonna go with what cascade said, either A or B...

Oh and I'd lower the number to like 30-40 posts maybe...I guess it doesn't matter since I'm over it anyways :P

Residentevil
08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Party a, ive been finding a lot of diaturbing evidence of cheating and only A removes that as a possibility.

TwinkTastical
A

I Trust the DEVs judgement... as long as my stick person makes it!

KingFu
I actually am with party D, which is night archer's suggestion(page 15 or 16 I believe of the polls since I was too lazy to copy and paste) but it's too late for that so I'm gonna go with what cascade said, either A or B...

Oh and I'd lower the number to like 30-40 posts maybe...I guess it doesn't matter since I'm over it anyways :P

There are three problems with that suggestion.

1) People will most likely remember who made what helms.

2) They can just go back to the submission forum and see who made what design.

3) Someone in the game can just say "Vote for (name here) for the helm contest on forums, he is number (number here)"

KingFu
08-27-2010, 12:40 AM
the question was towards mystic, i should have specified, but the minimum posts to vote was one of my points.
its somewhere on the poll thread, idr what page.

I mentioned that it was your suggestion, and gave you credit, I am hoping you aren't mad at me for taking credit their for a second. :)

Also, I would appreciate most comments to be your opinion rather than chatting, thanks. :)

TwinkTastical
08-27-2010, 12:51 AM
wait.. this was a CONTEST? My stick person couldve won... i mean.. this takes no artistic ability whatsoever!

Dharken
08-27-2010, 12:52 AM
I vote A.
Let Mummy and Daddy decide what's best. Letting the kids decide always leads to problems. (IMHO)

Residentevil
08-27-2010, 12:52 AM
You didnt want to be part of this one, theres a lot of controversy in it.

Dharken
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
You didnt want to be part of this one, theres a lot of controversy in it.

Who me or the OP?

For the record it's great that the dev's are allowing the customers to design a new helm. Seems like a lot of hassel for them and they're only doing it as a treat to the players I'm sure. Good on them and everybody that entered / voted. Be a shame if things turn ugly :(

Residentevil
08-27-2010, 01:02 AM
It is good that theyre doing this, but theres a lot of shady things happening with this contest and im not sure whats actually going on. But ive been looking into as best i can.

Furrawn
08-27-2010, 01:09 AM
A or B

If B, I think we just need to be fair and not beg for votes, whine, or cheat. Begging for votes in threads isn't all that much better than paying someone in town to come to the forum and vote. They both go against the good spirit the devs created the contest in! Also, I agree with at least 50 posts AND an account at least a week old before being able to vote.

If A, then I trust the devs to decide what's best.

Or E- the contest stays as it is despite the shady dealings... The devs tried to do something really nice and look at the mess we've made of it...

P.S. Making designs anonymous would be pointless. Most of us know who did what.

Kurlz
08-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I mentioned that it was your suggestion, and gave you credit, I am hoping you aren't mad at me for taking credit their for a second. :)

Also, I would appreciate most comments to be your opinion rather than chatting, thanks. :)

its okay mystic, i dont mind, srry about the random posts ive put on here, ill remove them if youd like. as long as i can figure out how.

Residentevil
08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Not the 50 posts thing because i do not have that many but have been using the forums for quiet a while, this is my second account in fact (prefered name).

LIGHTNINGLORD67
08-27-2010, 01:15 AM
party A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nightarcher
08-27-2010, 01:17 AM
There are three problems with that suggestion.

1) People will most likely remember who made what helms.

2) They can just go back to the submission forum and see who made what design.

3) Someone in the game can just say "Vote for (name here) for the helm contest on forums, he is number (number here)"

Go party D! And the point of that plan isn't to make it impossible to link the design to the owner. The point of hiding the name and results is to encourage personal decision rather than going with the popular item. So even if everyone spams, "Vote #6!" you can't tell whether anybody besides you is listening to them or not. So you'll most likely chose one that you like.

And the MAIN part of the plan was to separate the design from the actual item. That's so we get a cool design, and then choose which useful item we cant to apply it to.

Just some idea the Devs *could* use to make it less strictly biased and more strictly awesome.

--

Edit: The hiding names and results won't do us lots of good now, but rather, it's some advice for next time. The latter part of creating two seperate new polls could still be implimented now though.

Machinima
08-27-2010, 01:19 AM
A & B my votes are from friends this would come easy didn't have to spam in foresthaven for mine. Quote:=Fail

jonboy
08-27-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm in B camp with some sort of voting requirements,
I have no idea why they changed the judging rules at the end it has lead to fail, guess will just have to wait for the devs to come out of their foxholes.

Hotndots
08-27-2010, 05:44 AM
A or B. Anything but C.
The one who will most likely win will be due to art quality and popularity, not due to design or any kind of fairness. The devs should take this ugly poll down. We stuck to our end of the deal, we submitted about art according to the fine print rules. The devs wrote in The announcement that they would pick the top three. They didnt hold up their end of the deal. I'm sorry but this is how i feel.

Gavry
08-27-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm in the A Party

RedRyder
08-27-2010, 07:48 AM
This whole contest is BS. Never participating in anything art related elsewhere.
Im tired of the cheerleaders these guys have in towne. Oh yea super fair, smfh

Fabz
08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
My first thought was to let the devs deside but Im not sure.

Probably A, B wouldnt do much difference to C :)

RedRyder
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I acually dislike this popularity contest. Havent told anyone to shout out "vote fabz" or anything like that in towne, its all their choices. But I do understand why u dont want www.machinima.com to win. I want a real PL player to get the shield, dont have to be me, shouldnt be an organization.

Residentevil, you say somthings wrong about the competition. Yesterday in towne u were shouting "Vote Machinima".. What was that about lol?

I vote for party A, let the devs decide :) Or make 2 winners or something.
Party B will only get the same winners as C since theyre 2-3 that stands out.

I know it wasnt you i was in the towne when all that was happening. If anything i hope u get the first prize. And wth machinima isnt a player at all ??

Violentsaint
08-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Machinima should be disqualified because his an organization not a single person and he said himself he can't take credit for his design... That is my opinion tho. Also it would have been nice of him to provide a backstory with his helm...

I'm not saying vote for fabz but vote for a real player... Or let the developers decide...

GaZz
08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Should be a staffer who chooses the winner. Not a player.

FluffNStuff
08-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Couple things:
1) Requiring people to have x number of posts to vote is just going to spam up the forums. For reference see Fight Club, Jedi.
2) I do really wish they would hide the results because no one wants to load the page and see they have no votes. I suppose the issue with this would be the transparency of the election.

kavanah
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Party A all the way!

Furrawn
08-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Couple things:
1) Requiring people to have x number of posts to vote is just going to spam up the forums. For reference see Fight Club, Jedi.
2) I do really wish they would hide the results because no one wants to load the page and see they have no votes. I suppose the issue with this would be the transparency of the election.

True. Would be bad to have spam posts. Then, I guess I think that accounts that can vote should have been created at least a week prior to the hat voting thread date.

And yes, guess in hindsight results should be hidden. Is sad. The devs, I think, tried to do a great thing. But all the campaigning for votes, even in threads, is awful... If folks do that, then people who played fairly don't have any chance.

After all this, I change my mind. I think the devs should pick their five fav hat designs. Don't have a vote at all. The devs choose a winner but implement all five of them in game. But, if there's proof someone cheated, they should be disqualified and not eligible to be chosen.

smokester
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
party A... kids these days overrunning the game and forums, we cant trust them... im not saying all are kids lol

Justg
08-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Reposting:

I understand there is a lot of controversy going on right now. The last time we ran a contest, we chose the top three. There was a lot of community outrage that we did not pick the right three. This time we are letting the community decide over all of them. There are accusations of cheating, rigging votes, etc.

We think these accusations would still exist regardless of whether we chose the finalists or if you did.

But, in reviewing the rules, we have decided to disqualify Machinima because of this violation:

6. Submitter represents and warrants that (i) all Content is an original work of authorship created by Submitter; BY POSTING IN THE THREAD BELOW, SUBMITTER AGREES TO BE FULLY BOUND BY
THE FOREGOING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Conqueror's Ursan Helmet
I can't take full credit for this because other members of machinima helped make this so this is a machinima contribute there for representing are selves as one person.

I know this is disappointing to Machinma. We respect and like you, and may build your hat anyway, but you are not allowed to participate in this contest.

- g

Furrawn
08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Reposting:

I understand there is a lot of controversy going on right now. The last time we ran a contest, we chose the top three. There was a lot of community outrage that we did not pick the right three. This time we are letting the community decide over all of them. There are accusations of cheating, rigging votes, etc.

We think these accusations would still exist regardless of whether we chose the finalists or if you did.

But, in reviewing the rules, we have decided to disqualify Machinima because of this violation:

I know this is disappointing to Machinma. We respect and like you, and may build your hat anyway, but you are not allowed to participate in this contest.

- g

Wow... So last time everyone complained because devs DID chose the three finalists and this time everyone complained because devs DID NOT choose the three finalists? You can't win, huh?

I was lucky apparently and missed the last contest war.

Why couldn't everyone just vote for their fav hat like you asked?
I know. I know. When pigs fly:D lol

Well, this was the first time I've ever put a drawing/design in a contest. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to participate. It's been great to see all the different designs coming in...

araziza
08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
definitely group A

deathish
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
i vote for A. just let the devs choose please. i keep getting bugged in-game to vote for a certain person, getting on mt nerves.

Buddyf97
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Party B with a post limit of 10. 25+ is very limited and it takes a while to get 10 for a new acc

Warchanter
08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Let the devs choose or have blind entries where u enter your design to the devs only and do not make it public if you are caught making it public you are disqualified. If your caught advertising in game you are disqualified. That way no one knows who's design is who's.

Just my two cents!

Kalielle
08-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Let the devs choose or have blind entries where u enter your design to the devs only and do not make it public if you are caught making it public you are disqualified. If your caught advertising in game you are disqualified. That way no one knows who's design is who's.

Completely agree.

King Kamehameha
08-28-2010, 04:21 AM
A B C
n u
y t
t
h
I
n
g

bmc85uk
08-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I think that next time a contest like this is run, entries should be submitted via PM or e-mail to the developers and they can post all the entries anonymously, that way, people will have less idea of who's is who's (though they might have a good with examples to compare to from this contest), anyone proven to have revealed which design is theirs could then be disqualified.

DawnInfinity
08-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I think that next time a contest like this is run, entries should be submitted via PM or e-mail to the developers and they can post all the entries anonymously, that way, people will have less idea of who's is who's (though they might have a good with examples to compare to from this contest), anyone proven to have revealed which design is theirs could then be disqualified.
Agreed completely.

tjornan
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I am pretty much disgusted with the way the helm thing is going. No offense to fabz or kavanah, but i think the community is really voting on the artist and not the art. I hate it.

Hamby
08-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I take a cause te devs are pretty smart and can make the best choice besides the soner the better this has been goin on for a while know

araziza
08-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I just think it's kinda silly to vote on the art as opposed to the concept. Regardless of how great the art is, the winning helm will be done by the devs. The coolest helm idea/ concept should be the one getting the votes.

Krome
08-29-2010, 11:09 AM
A
Why? because, u see what happens is people go for there fav. person, or the most popular and then people vote for the person with the most votes just to say "I voted For him/her!" and then the person winning could have the worst design (kavanah not directed toward you, your design is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!) and still win because people cant distinguish between a good design and a popular person anyway that's my little spiel.

Flamin
08-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I think everyone's hat should be implemented in-game.

KingFu
08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Congradulations to Kavamah for winning the contest. It is clear that this isn't how everyone planned for the contest to go, Kavanah seemed to have played fair, and had a great attitude all the way through. Congradulations to Kavanah!

Azrael
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Actually... i can't say i'm disgusted... but i would be if i cared... I don't hold the devs at fault, but between the flaming, the disqualification of one of the best designs, and the ridiculous campaigning, the whole thing wreaks of fail.

And quite frankly, everyone seems eager to be apart of this complete waste of time.
http://selinux.gave.me.this.remoteshell.org/fail-boat.jpg

Shelllimes
08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I go with A, because you also have to consider the helm detail and design. If it's really complex, it could take weeks or even months..
That's just my opinion..

Nightarcher
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
My view on the competition:

1. It was slightly flawed, and people used less-than-honorable methods of influence. Not extremely bad, but frowned-upon.
2. It turned out all good. The winner, Kavanah, deserves it. And the headdress design is awesome. :)

FluffNStuff
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Devs: OK, we will choose the winning helm ourselves and announce who won.

Community: Whahhhhhh, You didn't choose the right helm, you should at least pick 3 or 5 so we can choose!

Devs: OK, we will pick the the top 3-5 helms that have the best design, and can be best implemented into the game and have the community vote amongst those 3-5 designs.

Community: Whahhhhh, the 3 to 5 you picked aren't the ones I wanted to vote for! Why don't you just let us vote on all the helms?

Devs: OK, we will post all the hats and let the community decide in a big poll.

Comunity: Whahhhhh, this is too complicated, and the other people aren't choosing the right helms. You Dev's should just pick the helm yourselves!

Community: Whahhhhhh, You didn't choose the right helm, you should at least pick 3 or 5 so we can choose!

Devs: OK, we will pick the the top 3-5 helms that have the best design, and can be best implemented into the game and have the community vote amongst those 3-5 designs.

Community: Whahhhhh, the 3 to 5 you picked aren't the ones I wanted to vote for! Why don't you just let us vote on all the helms?

Comunity: Whahhhhh, this is too complicated, and the other people aren't choosing the right helms. You Dev's should just pick the helm yourselves!

Ad Nauseum.

Tailless
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
you forgot the last part...
Small Part of the Community: Grabs all the hats they can find and starts a huge bonfire while chanting "No More Hat Drama!!"
:)