PDA

View Full Version : Sigantures, Signatures, Signatures!

Hardcoure
08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
As you can tell by the title this is going to be about signatures...

Well, I have a question for those of you who have one or make them. What's your inspiration for your signature? Do you think sigs should contain certain info?

I feel like mine is very noob-ish or just lacking in something.

Flowman
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
There's hardly any signature makers here who understand the concept of depth...or focal points...or that font shouldn't take up large portions unless it's the focal point...or color families...or layering...or the rule of 3s...etc etc.

Not the best place to ask for signature advice...but your sig is better than a lot of people here, so no worries :p

Livemau
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
flowman knows all about a good sig if you see his its quite funny and distinctive
i see it and think of him
my signature was made for me but i did an animation on it that i cant use
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii634/livemau/Livemau2psd.gif

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-03-2012, 10:37 PM
There's hardly any signature makers here who understand the concept of depth...or focal points...or that font shouldn't take up large portions unless it's the focal point...or color families...or layering...or the rule of 3s...etc etc.

Not the best place to ask for signature advice...but your sig is better than a lot of people here, so no worries :p

Oh stop it you xD

Livemau
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
guy above me made my sig

Esoul
08-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Sigs ;D

Worship
08-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Flowman made mine. It's perfect (:
What inspired Flow to make mine is Samus, from Meteoroid.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I made his with a mouse... better yet a mau5. lol

Mitchturbo
08-04-2012, 01:39 AM
For me its about Art.
Vincent Van Gogh is a huge inspiration to me.
If I can make my signatures to be as close to a painting, as close to a comic book, to be a delight for those who look upon em I'm happy.
Signatures are the artworks of the forums, be they like tattoos, logos, paintings, computer graphics, Rehashs of images.
Like em or love em, they are a type of artwork.
:-)

SkillFullGamer
08-04-2012, 01:51 AM
For me its about Art.
Vincent Van Gogh is a huge inspiration to me.
If I can make my signatures to be as close to a painting, as close to a comic book, to be a delight for those who look upon em I'm happy.
Signatures are the artworks of the forums, be they like tattoos, logos, paintings, computer graphics, Rehashs of images.
Like em or love em, they are a type of artwork.

:-)..

Isn't that the guy that went crazy and cut off his own ear Mitch O_o....

Oh and Btw I started making sigys cuz I really enjoy doing it, and being creative :P
Check out my shop!
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?64972-Aliss-Signature-Design-Shop!

Livemau
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
because i dont know how to make a sig it seems like i dont know how much work is put into it but just from my nooby experience I dont think there are many people with a better signature than me

Flowman
08-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Well Livemau, here is what goes in to MY signatures.

These are pictures of my Photoshop layers, starting from the very beginning and ending with the final product. This is the signature I made for Worship...You can see the other 3 final sigs under it, but the layers aren't turned on. I erased all the separate layers used to make changes to make the other sigs because they were all turned off and I didn't want to clutter my layers up for the pictures. The "Untitled 2" and "venom" are files for a new signature I'm working on for myself :p....well, probably for whoever wants it since I like my sig now.

Hardcoure
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Another question haha. So how do I get mine to go in the middle of the space given like some people have?

Why is here not the best place to ask for signatures? Because I don't really see where I should put it anywhere else since it's not relevant to any game.

These are pictures of my Photoshop layers, starting from the very beginning and ending with the final product. This is the signature I made for Worship...You can see the other 3 final sigs under it, but the layers aren't turned on. I erased all the separate layers used to make changes to make the other sigs because they were all turned off and I didn't want to clutter my layers up for the pictures. The "Untitled 2" and "venom" are files for a new signature I'm working on for myself :p....well, probably for whoever wants it since I like my sig now.

That's definitely a LOT of layers. I don't know if I'd do that many layers for a signature but I do at least that many in my photography.

I only had about 6 or 7 after merging a couple for that sig I have right now. I think I'm gonna try and make something better. Just felt like busting out my old Cs3 and doing something. I felt left out without a signature.

Flowman
08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Another question haha. So how do I get mine to go in the middle of the space given like some people have?

Why is here not the best place to ask for signatures? Because I don't really see where I should put it anywhere else since it's not relevant to any game.

That's definitely a LOT of layers. I don't know if I'd do that many layers for a signature but I do at least that many in my photography.

I only had about 6 or 7 after merging a couple for that sig I have right now. I think I'm gonna try and make something better. Just felt like busting out my old Cs3 and doing something. I felt left out without a signature.

I meant STS forums in general. If you're looking for art advice, try Deviantart.

It's really not that many...could have left out all the Hue/Saturation layers and just desaturated the layer directly, but I don't have all of them 100% desaturated.

Hardcoure
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Oh I see. I just wanted some advice from people here. I've no clue what Deviantart even is.

I work much better when I have something already before me, instead of starting from scratch. Think I'm just gonna keep this one for a bit and take my time working from it and improving. I do better with portraits lol. Definitley a different experience working with such a small canvas.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM

:O Is that a dare??? lol So you blur underlining layers to give the samus render a flaming effect. That's pretty nice man, but I rarely ever use my subject renders more that 6-7 times, regardless of what effect I give them. then I use a couple of abstract renders.

P.S. we need to rave together sometime xD

Flowman
08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Never touched the blur tool on that sig :p

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Showoff... how did you get the layer to look like that then? lol. smudge?

Flowman
08-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Showoff... how did you get the layer to look like that then? lol. smudge?

The layers are all labeled ;)

Chalk smudge brush with scatter settings and linear dodge

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-04-2012, 05:41 PM
xD i knew u smudged

and u can quote me on that :p

Livemau
08-04-2012, 06:34 PM
wow flowman u really helped me finally understand what kind of work goes into a signiture and it makes me appreciate them more even if they arent extremly good looking they are still lots of work

Flowman
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Annnnnd my computer battery died before and shut off at 2% instead of 0%.....thought nothing of it.
Powered it back up just now, turned it on....internal clock reset to Dec. 31, 2000.

So instead of just turning it back on to where everything was last time when it died (Macs don't do a system reboot when the battery dies) it started me off fresh again....goodbye unsaved photoshop signature. Was looking awesome too.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Flow! name these effects!

Flowman
08-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Flow! name these effects!

Filter--->Stylize--->Wind
Black Text Bar set to "Saturation" blend mode.
and that emboss thing you do on every signature

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Filter--->Stylize--->Wind
Black Text Bar set to "Saturation" blend mode.
and that emboss thing you do on every signature

If I wanted to be unfair, I'd say you missed more, but yeah, that's pretty good xD, however, its not done on "every", only requested ones. Also, I used saturation, but not on the text bar. I used a gradient pattern to put that gray bar in.

I used at least 12 layers on the pics alone, look at the middle picture, you can't get a blur like that with just the wind effect, so the back layers had motion blur. Color burn also on the middle picture, that's how i got the dark orange. But its unfair of me to ask you that without showing the original vector. lol

Otherwise it was good :)

Flowman
08-05-2012, 10:23 AM
yeah I mean come on lol, I just picked out the obvious ones.

FYI, black bar on saturation does the same effect as a gradient if you're looking for a desaturated bar.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-05-2012, 11:04 AM
She told me she liked black and orange, so I based the entire background gradient on black and orange, I was hoping color overlay would do it but that's only one color. Gradient can use multiple. that's why I decided to use it.

Hardcoure
08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Annnnnd my computer battery died before and shut off at 2% instead of 0%.....thought nothing of it.
Powered it back up just now, turned it on....internal clock reset to Dec. 31, 2000.

So instead of just turning it back on to where everything was last time when it died (Macs don't do a system reboot when the battery dies) it started me off fresh again....goodbye unsaved photoshop signature. Was looking awesome too.

I'm a couple days late posting this but was it the same sig in the photo from before? Just saw a post from Worship and s/he has it as their sig now.

Livemau
08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
The layers are all labeled ;)

Chalk smudge brush with scatter settings and linear dodge

how many layers is ur current sig

Flowman
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
how many layers is ur current sig

lmao seriously?

White background.
Font.
Border.