PDA

View Full Version : D.C. anyone?

Reddwing
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
So I am visiting Washington D.C. on Monday and Tuesday. I know there's like 10+ monuments and memorials and 15+ Smithsonian's. What are some MUST SEE places???

Kaytar
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd say the White House ;)

Piosidon
08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
The Pentagon

Jugernugetx
08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Lol i went there yesterday, got a pic lol. Saw the whitehouse and a ton of monuments o.O

Have a blast!
~Me

CrimsonTider
08-04-2012, 10:53 PM
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Watch the "Changing of the Guard."

Otukura
08-04-2012, 10:58 PM

^+1

the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space one(there are two, the one by the airport is better imo) were my two favorites by far. If you go to your congressman/woman or senator, they can give you tickets to check out the congress building(or they could 3 years ago). Not sure if the Washington monument still has the stairway closed down, but all the special stones on the inside were awesome. It was closed a while back because of people chipping off parts to take home.

Reddwing
08-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I definitely want to make it to the air and space museum. Also the native American history museum? I'm not even native American but it sounds interesting. :D Any opinions about the holocaust museum?

Otukura
08-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Any opinions about the holocaust museum?

Don't go, it's too depressing. I forgot about the American history museum, it's very well done imo.

Reddwing
08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
What about the zoo or aquarium? The zoo isn't a top priority since I've been to zoos but I do like fish. :D

KingFu
08-05-2012, 12:58 AM

+1 as well (out of thanks). Never been to DC but I've heard this is a must. Iirc they do it every 6 hours, correct? It sounds like a really cool thing to see. Also, Arlington Cemetary is supposed to be a great stop as well. I'm just saying things I've heard from friends/family, so I can't say anything out of personal experience.

Livemau
08-05-2012, 08:02 AM
i saw the changing of the guard once
go to the air and space mueseum
im an aviator fan so i was all over that

CrimsonTider
08-05-2012, 08:18 AM
+1 as well (out of thanks). Never been to DC but I've heard this is a must. Iirc they do it every 6 hours, correct? It sounds like a really cool thing to see. Also, Arlington Cemetary is supposed to be a great stop as well. I'm just saying things I've heard from friends/family, so I can't say anything out of personal experience.

I can't remember the exact length between changing but this is close. The routine they have is completely silent and memorized. Had an opportunity to join the USAF Honor Guard and was able to meet a couple of the guys who do this. I turned down the opportunity because I turned down reenlisting but if I had stayed in, I would have taken the transfer. I was honored to be asked to go to Washington.

Also not mentioned is the Vietnam Wall. (Sorry, but I have an affinity to all things that honor veterans.) ;)

~A~
08-05-2012, 08:23 AM
The Pentagonnot in washington dc lol

CrimsonTider
08-05-2012, 08:26 AM
not in washington dc lol

Neither is Arlington National Cemetery but the drive is close enough that it is a "must see" when going to DC. Don't be a troll.

Delphina
08-05-2012, 09:05 AM
We visit my mother all the time in DC. Lets see.... They have a butterfly room here:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/museum/butterfly.html
It was awesome!
Also, I have always wanted to go here:
http://www.spymuseum.org/
If you are up for a drive we loved going here.
http://www.nps.gov/pohe/index.htm
When we went it was really cold. There was a long walk to get here but it was worth it. Here was a picture we took:

The zoo is not to far. Well worth it! We took the metro.

Survivorfan
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
When I went I liked the air and space museum the best

FluffNStuff
08-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Gotta say no to the spy museum since it cost money in a town with some of the best free attractions in the world.

Delphina
08-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Gotta say no to the spy museum since it cost money in a town with some of the best free attractions in the world.
WOW! I always thought it was free... 20 dollars for a ticket!

Reddwing
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the great ideas everyone! So excited for tomorrow. :D :D :D