PDA

View Full Version : Paying just to list items in CS

call it
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Dear, dear PL developers...

Can one of you please explain why I have to pay gold, upfront, to simply list an item in the shop that is likely not to sell because of below issues ?
I can understand a success fee, and a listing fee but let's be honest, charging me 10k to list an item that isn't guaranteed to sell is a joke.
What's worse is when I pay my gold to list my item for eg. 300,000 and somebody comes along and lists for 299,000 10 seconds later.
Why can't I adjust the price of my auction ? I can on any real life auction site... :hopelessness:
Instead I have to CANCEL the auction, and then pay AGAIN to list it at a lower price :sorrow:
Even ebay doesn't charge a full sale fee until the item is actually sold.

Ontop of paying 3 platinum just to enter a dungeon, and buying elixirs with added "luck" to have any chance at a half decent drop.
Drop all this , and let me pay a $25 p/m optional subscription fee that includes free auctions, free all access dungeons, 20k gold, 3000 of each potion.

Sincerely,
Irritated Player.

Rauekat
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I think they should have a revise item option, so that you may lower the price and not pay full listing fee again.

Piosidon
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
A no undercut system would work better

call it
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Why can't I adjust the price of my auction ? I can on any real life auction site... :hopelessness:
Instead I have to CANCEL the auction, and then pay AGAIN to list it at a lower price :sorrow:

Yep.

Matutd
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
That's fee is the only good sink, except potions, that I can think of. That's why it's there

call it
08-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Don't get me started on potions :hopelessness:

XghostzX
08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Sadly, this is to avoid players from constantly listing items, and trying to beat out prices by just one gold (if it wasn't obvious enough already).

My suggestion is that each item has a different value, and each time a player puts in an item, there's more of it in stock. Here's an example:

If I list a flaming sword in the CS, if you look up 'flaming sword' it will show that there is currently one in stock. This flaming sword has its own value which is generated by the devs or by its value/rarity. If I'm the first to list the flaming sword, and then my good friend jack lists a flaming sword, two swords are now in stock. Suppose a player named Joe comes along and decides to buy one of the flaming swords. He purchases one of them, thus leaving the flaming swords with one in stock, and since I listed the flaming sword first, I receive the gold. Jack would then receive gold for the next player that buys a flaming sword (if there's any in stock). Players must agree that they cannot take an item out in a certain time period.

That felt pretty wordy, I apologize for that. Here are the pros for this:

-It would avoid inflation
-Players greed will come to an end
-overpricing will be no more (giving others fair chance to obtain an item)
-No Fees to pay when listing an item!

abbasjammmy
08-08-2012, 06:29 PM
what if they make a system so say if one person lists and item 500k the nxt person has atleast list 50k under not just 1k or something

TEOKILLO
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Think of it as tax :p

aniybo
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
what if they make a system so say if one person lists and item 500k the nxt person has atleast list 50k under not just 1k or something

couldnt exagerate that much but depends on the items value if its like lets say 1m than you would lower it 5K

aniybo
08-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Think of it as tax :p

are we like gonna have a war now like in the british and american war? ATTACK THE DEVS! lol

gundamsone
08-09-2012, 12:08 AM
1 word

goldsink

and for this game, its unlike other mmos where you need to spend gold on skills. so if sts didnt have gold sinks such as crafting, listing fees, etc then every item would inflate itself higher everyday.

But honestly be thankful sts is not charging you a % in fees for doing regular trades. Any maple story players can tell you how annoying that is.

Energizeric
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Sorry to say but if any of the above ideas were implemented you would eliminate merchants from the game entirely. Merchants make money by buying low and selling high. If prices were fixed for each item, then they could not do that.

Secondly, the strategy of listing items and paying the listing fee, knowing how to price your items, and knowing when to undercut a price and when not to -- these are the skills that make merchants able to survive. If there were no listing fees and no differences in pricing, then nobody would ever sell an item to a merchant instead of just listing it themselves.

All of the complaints above are obviously made by those who lack the skills to be a merchant and would prefer to eliminate the market for items entirely.

The system works very well as is, except for the gold cap issue which has caused very expensive items to disappear from the market.

Whirlzap
08-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Nothing is freeeeeeeeee

ReddWolfAK
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sadly, this is to avoid players from constantly listing items, and trying to beat out prices by just one gold (if it wasn't obvious enough already).

My suggestion is that each item has a different value, and each time a player puts in an item, there's more of it in stock. Here's an example:

If I list a flaming sword in the CS, if you look up 'flaming sword' it will show that there is currently one in stock. This flaming sword has its own value which is generated by the devs or by its value/rarity. If I'm the first to list the flaming sword, and then my good friend jack lists a flaming sword, two swords are now in stock. Suppose a player named Joe comes along and decides to buy one of the flaming swords. He purchases one of them, thus leaving the flaming swords with one in stock, and since I listed the flaming sword first, I receive the gold. Jack would then receive gold for the next player that buys a flaming sword (if there's any in stock). Players must agree that they cannot take an item out in a certain time period.

That felt pretty wordy, I apologize for that. Here are the pros for this:

-It would avoid inflation
-Players greed will come to an end
-overpricing will be no more (giving others fair chance to obtain an item)
-No Fees to pay when listing an item!

I like this idea a lot

slaveleia
08-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Sincerely,
Irritated Player.[/QUOTE]

that is so good lmaobbq when I saw this

call it
08-09-2012, 06:56 PM
All of the complaints above are obviously made by those who lack the skills to be a merchant and would prefer to eliminate the market for items entirely.
#Arrogance.

No need to start making insults, everybody has a valid point whether you wish to accept it or not.
You may like it the way things are but this does not, in any way go to say that the majority of players do.
Everybody, including you is entitled to their opinion but there is no need for you to generalise all players in a thread like that with an insult.

Schnitzel
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
When i list something for 200k, someone comes along and lists the same thing for 199,999gold (-.-) makes me so mad...then i gotta take my item out of cs and repay AGAIN to list it at a lower price.
I really wish PL would make u pay the gold only AFTER the item sells.

Energizeric
08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
When i list something for 200k, someone comes along and lists the same thing for 199,999gold (-.-) makes me so mad...then i gotta take my item out of cs and repay AGAIN to list it at a lower price.

That is why merchants exist. If you need to sell an item ASAP and cannot afford to wait, then sell to a merchant. As a merchant, I would just leave my item if one is listed for 1 gold less. Once that one sells, then mine will sell next. If many people list lower than mine, then obviously the market price of the item is dropping and I must relist at a lower price, but normally I would wait until my first listing expires as the price may go back up in another day or two. That is the expense of being a merchant, and that is why merchants cannot pay full price for items. We must buy items for a price where we can afford to pay multiple listing fees, and have a possible price drop, and still make a profit.

As for being arrogant, that was not my intention. My intention was to point out that not everyone has to be a merchant. If you don't wish to be, then don't try to be. Just sell your items to a merchant and let them deal with all of this stuff. But don't instead say that we should eliminate the market for items entirely just because you don't like having to deal with such things. For some of us, this market is 90% of what keeps us occupied in the game. If I was to suggest that PvP should be eliminated, I'm pretty sure I would get flamed. So don't suggest that merchants should be eliminated and prices should be fixed.

Deathpunch
08-10-2012, 01:19 PM

I would buy the 200k one in this instance just because the undercutter is being a *CONTENT EDIT*. I hate people who undercut by one.

-----
NOTE TO READER: The above post should most likely be read in a sarcastic tone.

call it
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
So don't suggest that merchants should be eliminated and prices should be fixed.

I never did. I simply asked that I should at the very least be allowed to edit the price on a listing that I have paid for to suit the ever changing market prices.

Energizeric
08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I didn't mean you specifically, but other people who posted in this thread were suggesting that. The only problem I see with your suggestion about being able to adjust your price is it will become a game of cat & mouse with pricing, and the results could be a quick crash of prices on a particular item. What if I just stand in the CS and every time you lower your price I go 100 gold lower than you? Then what?

I think the system is fine the way it is. Be careful what you wish for.

Brave Sir Robin
08-11-2012, 07:08 AM
I have to say that when I started playing PL, I was very annoyed with CS, too. To an extent that at some point I gave up and I thought that this was never going to work for me :)

What it takes is a little experience to learn when and at what price to sell. And patience, of course.
Don't list straight away if you don't know the prices; look how much other sellers sell this item for and observe how quickly the item is sold. Then, you have to think, did it sell or did it expire?

Also, you don't have to offer the lowest price. This is true:

As a merchant, I would just leave my item if one is listed for 1 gold less. Once that one sells, then mine will sell next. If many people list lower than mine, then obviously the market price of the item is dropping and I must relist at a lower price...

Following the same logic, you could list a bit higher than the lowest price, or wait for the others to sell, then list.

This makes a lot of sense especially if more than 6-7 sellers list the same item. Which means, if you just try to list a bit lower, someone of those above you will definitely decide to re-list to beat you. Remember, for most of the merchants listing fee is not an issue ;)

If you don't want to sell to a merchant (or don't know anyone you can trust) you can always list with a discount. Not a huge one, just a bit more than what you would get from selling to a merchant.

Wait and see. It's like playing a sub-game of PL lol.

Nick41324
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Then trolls will spam cs with 10m torches

Energizeric
08-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Then trolls will spam cs with 10m torches

Yes, this is true. If there was no cost to list, I would list everything I had, even if I don't want to sell, and would list at high prices just to see if by chance someone bought. The amount of items in the cs would go up dramatically.

springtime
08-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't think they even looked at or considered cs since it was created... Needs a huge overhaul.

call it
08-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Yes, this is true. If there was no cost to list, I would list everything I had, even if I don't want to sell, and would list at high prices just to see if by chance someone bought. The amount of items in the cs would go up dramatically.

This is a good point.

Livemau
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
all in all i dont mind paying because if i didnt have to pay i would list everything just to see if osme noobs takes it

Worship
08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
It isn't it that much gold to list.. You're acting like your spending millions just to list something.. :disturbed:

Phoenixking
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
couldnt exagerate that much but depends on the items value if its like lets say 1m than you would lower it 5K
A percantage is better

Livemau
08-14-2012, 08:16 PM
A percantage is better

it is a percentage
for dragon items its like 100k to list normally if for a gold cap

DoesntCareAtAll9
08-17-2012, 02:44 AM
That was the dumbest idea.. It's bad enough that we farmed the item -_-