PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about Plat items on sale

Rare
08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
This is not really a suggestion about the game itself, but more about the marketing of the game and drive for consumers to spend plat on in game purchases. In the last few weeks there have been a number of cases of platinum items being put on sale soon after (less than 30 days) the items being released at full price. Not only in Dark Legends but Pocket legends as well.

I personally feel like this is bad business practice. I totally get that its a business and that STS wants to encourage more plat purchases. I have no problem with that. Its the timing and the manner in which it happens. People that spend a lot of money (more than $100) on a mobile video will be FURIOUS when they feel like they are being taken for granted or ripped off.

I would like to suggest a couple options:

1. When there is a plat item sale, anyone who purchased the items in the last thirty days should be refunded the difference in platinum. This should be done without having to request it. I understand this isn't the most desirable solution for STS. In the long run, however, it will benefit you. There is nothing good to gain by being secretive. Consumers are more willing to spend when they "feel" the merchant has their best interest in mind (even if they don't really).

2. You should announce sales in advance. I'm not even saying you should announce WHAT will be on sale. Just let everyone know there is going to be a sale. Then it is up to them to wait or buy now. This will be especially important for "limited time" items when a sale is coming shortly afterward. In all honesty, the Biomorph pack sale was a debacle for STS. As long as there is a disclaimer that a sale is coming and that the item "might possibly" be on sale, you give the consumer the ability to decide how to spend their money. Stop hiding this information. It serves to no purpose and will only infuriate your customer base.

In general, I believe STS will profit more by being more transparent with their customer base. The KEY is transparency and making your customer feel like their money is valuable to you.

Just my piece

EDIT: Let me also add this disclaimer. I am not looking for a refund. I am content with the purchases I made. But I really like this game. And the last thing I want to see is people leaving it. For any reason.

LookBehindMe
08-10-2012, 08:36 AM
I have to ask, if you go to a store buy something then it goes on sale do you go back in and ask for a refund?

Rare
08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
My apologies.

Rare
08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I have to ask, if you go to a store buy something then it goes on sale do you go back in and ask for a refund?

If it is within a certain amount of time, I certainly would. In fact, most stores offer you this benefit and make it very clear that they do. Of course, it depends on what it is. If I bought a book for 12 and it went on sale the next day for 10, I probably wouldn't do it.

But if I bought a microwave for $100 and saw in the next couple weeks it was on sale for $40, you bet I'd ask for my money back. Or I'd return the product. Period.

I'm Siri
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM

and I pretty sure there won't be a 50% discount just in 2weeks time. I will just bang my head on the wall if this happen to me.
Look what Apple did for customers who purchased the old iPad within a week when they release new iPad. And yes I got the refund in the price diff:) and i don't expect STS do the same.
Lesson learned. Don't buy so quickly unless u really wanna show off. Patient is the key to save your plat converted from your hard earn Money$$$. Wait wait wait...wait and wait and wait wait wait....................YAY!!!! Plat on sale!!! YAY all vanities Half price. YAY!!! All weapons Half Price!!! Yay... lol

Nihiliste
08-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep, I bought 800 plat in PL even when I was told there was not going to be a future plat sale by a dev. Sigh...

Takezaki
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow, I made the exact same thread, just more whiny and less articulate.. Hahaha.

Sam_Arah
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Do I agree with pricing policies ... NO ... but unfortunately this is mobile gaming for you. STS is not the only one that follows this practice, as it is common in other android or apple games; they are just merely following the market practice: game is free to play, but customizing and enhancing experience will cost ya. They arnt selling clothing or electronics, so asking for a refund has less leverage in this world of sales. Also remember their good (or service) is not tangible compared to your traditional retail store which has their capital tied into their merchandise inventory and can only offer deep discounts or liquidate inventory at specific points during the year. Because STS has no physical inventory, they can offer these 50% discounts at will or more often.

I agree with you, but doubt their pricing structure will change. So that places the responsibility on us as consumers to be more vigilant and efficient with our hard earned dollars. Try not buy on impulse, unless you really need plat; and stretch it. The worst I find is not the pricing policy of STS, but the fact that you have to gamble to get the legendary weapon items (firebrand, pestilence, etc.) ... if your lucky you might get the weapon in 1-5 tries at 15-25 plat/try, or you could be totally unlucky and spent 15-20 tries unsuccessfully. I would rather them have that fixed plat price than gamble.

Rare
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't see why it has less leverage. In fact, I think it has MORE leverage. This isn't a store that sells a variety of goods. They are selling one thing. Platinum. Burn your platinum buying customers and the result can be devastating. All I'm offering is a way to bring in some good PR.

If player x spends 100 plat on a costume. Then a week later its 50. I'm guessing there's a good chance they may not buy anything else. And they will be very upset (as we have seen) and understandable so.

If STS announces the sale before hand, player x may still buy it at 100. Or, they may wait. In the end they may lose 50% on that sale, but they have a customer that is content and will most likely continue to buy/spend platinum.

So what's better? A one time buy of 100 plat that burns your customer, or losing 50% on one purchase and having a happy customer that will continue to buy/spend platinum?

Sam_Arah
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Leverage meaning that I cant return item saying that purchase doesnt fit me, doesnt work, or that I have found a better deal so price match it. Most retail stores do have that pricing protection/return/refund policy, but I have yet to see that for online gaming.

Again STS is a business, and we are the consumers. Yes it is great for business to be more transparent and announce sales well in advance to warn consumers ... but is that pricing policy realistically employed by businesses? I go shopping, and when I do, I don't see retailers announcing that in "x"number of weeks they will have a 50% sale. The only time that this is done is during Black Friday (in US), Christmas, or if they are liquidating or going out of business. STS is just maximizing their sales (and profit), which is understandable but not desirable for consumers.

Yeah I agree with you on buying plat item and it going on sale like two weeks after. I have learned, only to buy during sale or unless you really need to have it now. That's were in my previous post I mentioned it is up to us as consumers to be more vigilante with what we spend on ... more frugal, only then will STS change their policies.

razerfingers
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree. Even stores tell you they're gonna hage a huge sale a week ahead for example black friday, they tepl you the friday before od the monday of and say everything is gonna be super low. Cant sts do the same? Maybe they'll get more plat purchases than when the item comes out and everyoje huys the minimum ammount to buy it they buy more because they can get kore things than just the one item the really! Want :) just a thought

Sent using spray paint from a "can"

Rare
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah I agree with you on buying plat item and it going on sale like two weeks after. I have learned, only to buy during sale or unless you really need to have it now. That's were in my previous post I mentioned it is up to us as consumers to be more vigilante with what we spend on ... more frugal, only then will STS change their policies.

I agree completely with you here. I'm just suggesting that STS make the extra step to show their consumers that their money is important. That's all. I'm also not saying what they are doing is wrong. But there are people that will not take kindly to it. And implementing one these suggestions can mitigate that and keep spender coming back for more.

I understand it isn't necessary and may be unprecedented in this market. But sometimes that is what takes a company from being like everyone else to being great. I think its a good way to make everyone happy AND still make their money.

Xaphan Fox
08-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I do not buy plat anymore for 4 reasons:
- gamble packs, and the exploitive nature of micro-transactions in gaming in general, from dlc content to in game perks, is a pox on the gaming industry.
- as soon as that initial surge to buy a new item dies down, they put items on sale, or say something is limited time only, when it isn't... And on and on.
- the money I spend on DL does not go to DL. The money I invest in game x might go to x... Or y... Or neither. Makes my monetary addition to the game feel pointless if it might go to funding a game I could care less about.
- lots of companies do not say item x costs 15 dollars. They use a middle man: Platinum, black coins, game bucks, Microsoft points... Something that disconnect the cost in your brain. Oh that costs 120 plat. Spend spend... It's marketing wizardry.

I'll have it no more. I can spend infinitely more in this, and similar games, for *way* less content than I would any other game type. Spend 15 dollars on a pet that does nothing, or buy a whole game. Downloadable content, microtransactions... The very nature of offering less for more...
The praying on the ocd via nickel and dime pricing of minimal effort items like re-coloring of existing items...

...all leaves a horrible taste in my mouf.
As someone who's played since the Atari 2600 days and seen the gaming industry mature; the industry, not just sts, has perfected the art of separating you from you dollar for less.
Capitalism... Hurray

Woof