PDA

View Full Version : A New Leeching Tactic

Garrison
04-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I've noticed leechers have a new tactic. They go into uber-high dungeons, find a powerful mob near a bunch of chests...and allow themselves to be killed.

But instead of restarting, they let their body lie there. Are they getting gold, loot and xp should I then come up to the mob/chests and lay waste? :mad:

This is worse than them following me around! At least before they occassionally used potions and had to stay close to the group (and act like they were playing to avoid everyone leaving the instance).

I suppose the upcoming "kick" function would solve this, but the more you make automatic the better. I recommend a new line of code to allow no gold, loot or xp if your HP is zero.

Shebee
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't really agree with the thing getting no loot or xp when dead.

Garrison
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't really agree with the thing getting no loot or xp when dead.

An understanding party will either raise you or wait for you to rejoin them before continuing. Alternatively, perhaps locked instances will allow everyone on the map to earn gold/loot/xp regardless of distance from the kill/chest (as one would assume there'd be no leechers in these).

But if your character is dead, he's not at any risk. If you're not putting yourself at risk, you don't deserve a cut of my benefits - even if we're on the same team.

Splurd
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with Shebee.

Imagine this scenario. group all fight to the last boss, and due to a horrible twist of fate, the warrior dies, and the boss runs around slaying archers and elves. By sheer perseverance and the sacrifice of his team-mates, the sole surviving archer kills the boss.
Dont you think everyone deserves a chance at the loot and exp?

Shebee
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree with Shebee.

Imagine this scenario. group all fight to the last boss, and due to a horrible twist of fate, the warrior dies, and the boss runs around slaying archers and elves. By sheer perseverance and the sacrifice of his team-mates, the sole surviving archer kills the boss.

Just this..

Garrison
04-20-2010, 10:51 AM

To make a fun and fair game, I see your point. That would even be a problem if there was a "everyone-on-the-map-wins-in-a-locked-instance" rule, for those terrible times when the baddie dies before you respawn.

Okay then, I suppose unless some other mechanic is worked out the whole "nothing if you're dead" thing wouldn't work.

Shebee
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM
We'll have to just bear with them for the time being.
In the next patch (1.1) they will introduce the kick system, and they can be kicked.

Garrison
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
We'll have to just bear with them for the time being.
In the next patch (1.1) they will introduce the kick system, and they can be kicked.

We won't be able to kick out the "dead leechers", since they are usually the ones who start up the instance (unless they implement a vote-kick and you have another player join you).

I suppose the best solution I can see then is for us to be able to report leechers and other undesireables, and for offenders to have their devices permanently blocked. One would have to be careful however, as sometimes innocent behavior could be seen as leeching (so maybe several of these complaints would be required before booting, and/or the admins would look at the game data before passing judgement).

Xervitude
04-20-2010, 10:59 AM
We won't be able to kick out the "dead leechers", since they are usually the ones who start up the instance (unless they implement a vote-kick and you have another player join you).

I suppose the best solution I can see then is for us to be able to report leechers and other undesireables, and for offenders to have their devices permanently blocked. One would have to be careful however, as sometimes innocent behavior could be seen as leeching (so maybe several of these complaints would be required before booting, and/or the admins would look at the game data before passing judgement).

Why would they ban? Is leeching even against the rules?

Shebee
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Rofl if leeching would be bannable.
Why do you join leeching parties in the first place?

Garrison
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Why would they ban? Is leeching even against the rules?

Limiting access to or deliberately inhibiting one's access to the game? Preventing the full use of something one has paid for? Those sound like common no-nos one would find listed in the common Terms of Service (although at the moment I can't find PL's Terms to attempt to quote).

I'd accept a 3-strikes approach, with warnings.

Obviously, I don't intentionally join "leeching parties." I usually get half way or more through a level before I find a dead leecher, and don't enjoy having to leave the instance, hunt for or start another mid-to-high level map and start all over.

Shebee
04-20-2010, 11:21 AM
It seems you are 1 to 10 here.
Anyway, the leechers pay for the game too, thats just their way, let the do it their way, just dont join their parties.

Justg
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Tough call here... if you are in an instance, playing legit, and you die by the bosses' hand but your buds kill him immediately after wards, should you get loot and xp?

Hopefully booting will solve alot of these problems but we are always looking for creative solutions, so thanks for the feedback and conversation!

Garrison
04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Their paying doesn't make their abuses legit.

But I'll drop it. Some precautions can be taken, but no matter what there will always be ways for people to annoy and interfere with your fun. Such is life.

_ck
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it is a tough call. I've personally never come across this situation, in fact I've never really had any problem at all with anyone leeching, which is odd considering how many write so passionately about it.. I'm sure I have been in games where others have been less active, but at the same time I don't remember ever seeing someone just hanging out at the start doing nothing, or running close enough to get XP and loot.. But I digress. It's a tough situation because in some cases you do die and you are playing fair, and then it really sucks if you get nothing for it.

The only solution I can think of (which I have no idea if it's actually plausible to implement) is that when you die, if you were actively engaged in some bad guys (as in having dealt damage to them), you should get XP/gold/loot for that kill even if you died just before he/they did. You had a hand in bringing them down, so you should get a piece of that. But you shouldn't be getting anything from bad guys in the same room that you didn't touch and had no hand in killing. Sure, that could still mean a leech running in and taking a shot at the boss before dying, but at least then the XP/gold/loot would be restricted to just one kill rather than the whole room which would make it far less "profitable" for leeches (in combination with the upcoming kick function).

SMELTN
04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I definitely think if someone is in your group and fighting the boss' etc, with you and dies and the boss dies, they should get xp and loot without question.

Honestly I think the upcoming kick ability will stop the lower levels from leaching. I also worry about it though, my biggest fear is you get in a group get all the way to the boss and then right before the boss dies your group leader kicks you. It happens in WOW all the time

maxvegas
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I definitely think if someone is in your group and fighting the boss' etc, with you and dies and the boss dies, they should get xp and loot without question.

Honestly I think the upcoming kick ability will stop the lower levels from leaching. I also worry about it though, my biggest fear is you get in a group get all the way to the boss and then right before the boss dies your group leader kicks you. It happens in WOW all the time

lol shhhhh it's a secret now somme guys are thinking yeah ! good ideas ! that is iff bosses have their own personal loots

KronicDecay
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I cannot stress enough the hatred I have for leechers. With this said even I believe banning someone device for leeching is way too harsh. Best thing to do is to just wait and grit your teeth until the new client comes out and we can all see how the kick function works. Once it's implemented in there then they should be able to make quick fixes like vote kick etc. But we're all just going to have to deal with it or password protect our games for now.

Laska
04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Lol I don really hav a problem wif leechers most of em are ppl who already hav High lvl accs and ate jus to lazy to re level even tho it's easy....anyways yah jus sayin not lik ther decreasing the exp ur getting anways and if u want the rare drops then jus go through the dungeon by urself an lock it ...works for me lol jus sayin :]--------x----

nerdherd
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Please DO NOT stop people from receiving loot, gold, xp when dead. I don't want to die two seconds before the team gets some good loot and I'm not included in the chance of getting it. I've seen a lot fewer leechers since the last update, and now that kicking is on it's way the problem should be solved.

Banned
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen that many leechers lately. A few here and there, but I think the leeching problem will be completely solved when the kick option comes around. But one question. Who will be decided as the offically kicker once the original room maker leaves?

Zithorio
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Why not send aggro to the "weak" character that is leeching. If a guy just sits there for more than 5 seconds not hitting the average amount of times on any enemy, why not have the ones people are fighting go an own the leecher? I think that's creative! As for the kick, woot! And as for voiding xp, gold and drop gain from a dead player, sucks to be you I would like it that way IMO.