PDA

View Full Version : PVP Level Spread Really Not Working

Tor
08-14-2012, 06:59 AM
I understand the intent of devs to get games going by allowing -/+ 3 levels over/under the player who started the map, but now I've been PvP for a bit it is just NOT working. Yes, these so-called "games" get started fairly fast but almost 80-90% of time as soon as players figure out that the opposition is completely unkillable they simply leave. And under current system you get that one death for leaving during combat. Big deal. Better the one death from leaving than the 20+ deaths I was about to get from being womped on by some player who is probably up to 6 levels higher than me.

Guys... this is NOT working. As I've previously stated, PVP is probably one of the best features of DL, but in its current format it's just not working. When the teams are fairly balanced, 5-5 mostly lvls are within range of 2-3 of one another, the games are awesome and can go for quite a bit as there is a stalemate that has to be resolved with teamwork and tactics. THAT'S gaming. But having some Level 16 player noob just womp on a bunch of Level 10s without even taking a ding is complete bogus. I was in game one team member was level 10 one was level level 16. WhyTheFace????

Those games end in less than 5 minutes anyhow. Either the teams evaporate, or the high level player just runs around killing everyone with abandon while his team runs back-and-forth doing flag captures. In DM they just stand in center and keep getting King of Ring and makes it even more ridiculous. Major major YAWN.

I think this can all just be resolved by having more transparency in games. Create a "Games in Progress" menu showing ongoing games, and show the highest-lowest level of players in the game. Then at least I know which games to avoid, because I've learned the hard way that basically any player 6 levels higher than me can beat me by just pressing skill buttons while eating potato chips and not even looking at his game. Either the spread has to be narrowed, or lower level players and outnumbered teams are going to have to get some sort of boost.

From my game play so far the two biggest problems with PVP right now are the waits for games, and the player level spreads which are simply unfair to lower level players. Imo these two issues can both be fixed by either introducing a Games in Progress option similar to PL, narrowing the permissible spread, and /or giving a power boost to teams / players that are at a disadvantage because of level.

Thanks for thinking.

XchilangopwnX
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree. The best solution and easiest to apply would probably be to narrow the level range. Instead of having it be +-3 levels it could be +-2 levels. That way if a level 10 makes a match, a level 8's highest competition will be a level 12 which I think is fair enough.

I say that this is the easiest to apply because when PvP had no range the devs easily applied the first range, +-5 levels in the following update and then refined it to +-3 levels with another small update.