PDA

View Full Version : Kano's Operative Training Camp : Comprehensive Skills + Play Guide

Kanozaki
08-14-2012, 07:08 PM
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/crankitup_04/kanologo.png

The Operative

Many people severely underestimate this class. Unlike Commandos or Engineers , the operative doesn't get much credit. Boy are they wrong ! any team which has a half decent Operative who knows what he is doing will clear maps SO much faster. This class packs the highest single-target damage out put of all three classes BUT they also have the lowest armor value. If you are willing to take the uphill battle , dealing with a lot of deaths to be the class with the highest damage then the operative is for you.

The Guide
I have always stuck with DEX characters with any MMO i played. When I used the Operative for the first time , i knew this class was for me. I have played operative as my main class for a year and counting. During this time i learned a few tips from other players which I will be sharing with you. Unlike the Commando or Engineer , the Operative skill specs are pretty straight forward as far as PVE is considered. Where a person shines with an operative is his skills to effectively take down the tough mobs.

Operative Stats: Where should I spend my STAT points.
Unlike Pocket Legends , Star Legends does not allow hybrid classes.You are forced to chose between STR , DEX or INT. Bearing in mind that the Operatives primary function is to deal damage , DEX is your best choice. For more information on why click the link below.

Star Legends General Attributes (STR, DEX, INT) Guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?30467-Star-Legends-General-Attributes-%28STR-DEX-INT%29-Guide)
The above thread explains as to why DEX is your best option. In a nutshell DEX for operative has the best benefits.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/crankitup_04/kanostats.png
At 41 your STATS should look like this.

**NOTE** - Star legends has a auto leveling function. Make sure you disable this to save you from wasting a re spec later.

Operative Skills : How should i spec my skill points ?
Your primary function as an operative is to deal damage. You need skills which support this function. Below is how i have spec'd my operative.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/crankitup_04/kanoskills.png

Skill Break Down : The whys and why nots

Mind Wrack(6)
The most damaging skill the operative has to offer paired with a really fast cool down. Keeping this skill is a no brainer
Flames of insanity(6)
The operatives one of two DoTs. Apart from being an amazing DoT it is also a stun.Another no-brainer , get the skill.
Lurch (1)
Knock back + a decent amount of damage. Only one point is needed in this for the knockback as skill points should be saved for more damaging skills.
Inner Focus (6)
This skill is completely optional. I personally prefer this as I don't like a lot of stim consumption. If this doesnt bug you , you may switch this for Anguish.
Amplify Pain(6)
Crucial skill for an operative. Debuffs the enemy ( -120 armor ) and buffs caster ( +15 dmg and +10 crit ). Low cool-down , absolute must have skill.
Psychic Lash(3)
The operatives second DoT. Decent damage + Roots the enemy. This skill can be swapped for Psychic Binding if you prefer some crowd control.
Blur
Some may argue this skill is useful however . Its low duration + long cool down render its uses negligible , in my opinion at least.
Neural Shock(6)
Very useful skill as an operative. Debuff (-20 Hit chance and -4 Critical chance) and does a lot of damage.
Sympathetic Anguish
A lot of damage + Target has a chance of jumping 3 times , -20% per jump. This skill can be swapped for Inner Focus.
Psychic Binding
AoE slow , very useful if you suddenly pick up agro from a large mob. Binding can be used to run away so a Commando can take back the agro.This skill be switched for Psychic Lash.
Precision(6)
Very , Very useful buff. Greatly increases your CRIT rating thus enabling you to do ALOT more damage. Although this skill having a long cool down , if used effectively can be an amazing asset and is a must for any operative.

Leveling Guide : Skills
If Following my build , I would level it in the following manner.

1. -
2. Mind Wrack (1)
3. Flames of Insanity (1)
4. Lurch (1)
5. Mind Wrack (2)
6. Inner Focus (1)
7. Mind Wrack (3)
8. Amplify Pain (1)
9. Amplify Pain (2)
10. Psychic Lash (1)
11. Amplify Pain (3)
12. Amplify Pain (4)
13. Amplify Pain (5)
14. Amplify Pain (6)
15. Inner Focus (2)
16. Neural Shock (1)
17. Mind Wrack (4)
18. Mind Wrack (5)
19. Mind Wrack (6)
20. Flames of Insanity (2)
21. Neural Shock (2 )
22. Inner Focus (3)
23. Inner Focus (4)
24. Flames of Insanity (3)
25. Neural Shock (3)
26. Flames of Insanity (4)
27. Neural Shock (4)
28. Precision (1)
29. Precision (2)
30. Precision (3)
31. Precision (4)
32. Precision (5)
33. Precision (6)
34. Flames of Insanity (5)
35. Flames of Insanity (6)
36. Inner Focus (5)
37. Inner Focus (6)
38. Neural shock (5)
39. Neural Shock (6)
40. Psychic Lash (2)
41. Psychic Lash (3)

**NOTE** - Star legends has a auto leveling function. Make sure you disable this to save you from wasting a re spec later.

Skill Mapping : How should i map these skills ?
Skill mapping is completely up to your own comfort zones and play styles. There is no correct way to map skills , instead map them according to what YOU feel works best.

Gear : What is the best gear ?
Generally what you want to focus on is damage. Keeping that in mind , Dual Pistols are the best option for damage . Pistol + shield is another good option if you find your self dying a lot or in a team with out a commando/ engineer.

Gear Load out : Level 40
Following are my personal load-outs which i use depending on the situation i find my self in.

DPS Dual Build
Custom Symbiotic + War-Augers V4 + DMG Implant + Zevon Yorr
Ideal DPS setup , usually use this when i have a good team.

CRIT Carbine Build
Custom Symbiotic + Primed Napalm Carbine + CRIT Implant. + Zevon Yorr
Why Carbine ? Carbine has an AoE effect paired with nice DPS. As an added bonus the CRIT on this is amazing .This is my favorite load out and use this the most.

CRIT Pistol + Shield
Custom Symbiotic + Snipertech Skin + Primed Tempest Coil + Blackstar Shield + CRIT Implant + Zevon Yorr
Purely CRIT + survivability oriented. I use this load out when i find my self taking more agro than i should. Recommended if you find your self dying a lot.

Above are just ideal Gear and obviously not every one can afford those. That gear can be substituted for cheaper gear ( Swap custom symbiotic for regular symbiotic ect ). The above gear is in no way necessary but it does help.

Tips : I have the skills and Gear necessary , whats next ?
Now comes the hardest part , actually being an effective operative. Most people get frustrated with the operative as they do tend to die alot of not played properly. Following are a few tips which should help you advance your Operative career.

DO NOT
- Rush into a mob , this will guarantee you a death.
- Aimlessly kill any mob you see , your just wasting time and not using the operative to its potential.
- Be afraid to use your skills.
- Randomly Spam skills, always have a methodical order on how your approach a target.

DO
- Stay right behind the Commando and wait till he has agro before you do anything.
- Single out Mobs which have a lot of HP , put your high damage to use while the Commando and Engineer take care of the easy mobs.
- If you play smart you wont have to worry about dying.
- Instead of simply spamming , come up with a combo which you find most effective. (eg : Amplify Pain - Lash - Wrack - Flames )

If you follow these tips , not only will you enjoy the operative a lot more but your team will clear maps MUCH faster . At the end of the day , why waste time right ?

Other Useful Links which you may find Useful.

SL Talent Calculator (http://www.sl-calculator.com/)
EXP Farming + Team Dynamics (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?61711-All-in-One-How-to-be-an-effective-team-(-EXP-Gain-))

Conclusion

Well that concludes this guide , I hope you learned something today and implement it in game. Becoming better at your class not only benefits you but also you create a better experience for others. I apologize for the length , I did try to make it as concise as possible. Feel free to post any comments or suggestions , constructive criticism helps me make better guides in the future , so post away ! Feel free to add me in game if you would like extra assistance.

Kano signing out.
Fashion Police

pigeon
08-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Another impressive guide Kano! Keep up the good work! :-)

Kanozaki
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Another impressive guide Kano! Keep up the good work! :-)

Ty ty (: hopefully this helps people

Lavalamp
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Good job bro! Made it nice and short too lol again good job :D

iAmPain
08-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Ahh.. just what i needed.

Going to start leveling up another OP alt. I could really use this guide and.. great guide overall!

Thanks Kano :o

Kanozaki
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Ahh.. just what i needed.

Going to start leveling up another OP alt. I could really use this guide and.. great guide overall!

Thanks Kano :o

np (: , glad it helped.

Ark
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Very nice Kano <3 :). Very useful and helpful thread. I would do something like that but I'm too lazy to do all that typing and screenies lol :p

Zaonabiuibil
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Under CRIT Cabrine, should be primed* not primmed (I'm picky :p) Oh, and rushing a mob is bad? Lmao I kid I kid. (But sometimes I actually do have to, THANKS COMS.) Nice guide bruh.

Ark
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Under CRIT Cabrine, should be primed* not primmed (I'm picky :p) Oh, and rushing a mob is bad? Lmao I kid I kid. (But sometimes I actually do have to, THANKS COMS.) Nice guide bruh.

Nahh.. I'm so awesome that my ops can tank ;) lmfao but a lot of stim usage xD rush rush rush rush towards the mobs *dies* o.O.......

Cero
08-17-2012, 02:50 AM
did you made the talent calculator?

Esoul
08-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Nice guide...ill use on my operative,thanks :D

masterinfinit
08-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Can you make a set for me? I have: symbiotic armor, Chromaweave, bandits double strike, Blade tech, Napalm of Dark Matter, Dura-skin implant, Dodge implant and yaniz yorr.

Kanozaki
08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Can you make a set for me? I have: symbiotic armor, Chromaweave, bandits double strike, Blade tech, Napalm of Dark Matter, Dura-skin implant, Dodge implant and yaniz yorr.

for level 40 i would go :

Symbiotic + Napalm of dark matter + Dmg implant + Zevon yorr

If u dont have money, pm me in game . Ill get these things for u

Jblazer
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Great guide Kano:)

control
08-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Very informative actually had been an eng for past year and levelled a com to 40 but has most skills
and mindset of commando as I am the first one to go for the snipers lol. Started with an op in double xp
weekend and finding it to be pretty good, needed a guide and this is it:)

Operativebolt
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Why 0 on blur reply me on game

Jblazer
09-01-2012, 10:56 AM
His build is effective....trust me xD

Operativebolt
09-01-2012, 08:19 PM
His build is effective....trust me xD

But why 0 on blur

Zaonabiuibil
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
But why 0 on blur

Gee I dunno, oh wait :o

Blur
Some may argue this skill is useful however . Its low duration + long cool down render its uses negligible , in my opinion at least.

Jblazer
09-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Gee I dunno, oh wait :o

Lol...

jellyduhz
09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
ummmm this is only for pve correct? either way great guide <3

iAmPain
09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
ummmm this is only for pve correct? either way great guide <3

Yes, but when used by someone who know's what he's doing..

It's actually a pretty deadly combination.

Though the only way to use this build is by being passive-aggressive.

Jblazer
09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes, but when used by someone who know's what he's doing..

It's actually a pretty deadly combination.

Though the only way to use this build is by being passive-aggressive.
That's what I was gonna say :P

Energizer12
09-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice thread kano! You should look into going back to pvp

Jblazer
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
He's a monster in pvp xD

Energizer12
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
probably a long time ago :) but not now sadly :(

Szangheili
09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Looking to Lvl up my Op toon soon, thnx for the advise ;)

Crazyhealer
04-16-2013, 05:03 AM
do u think inner focis only 3 skill point is good?

Battlegrinder
04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
do u think inner focis only 3 skill point is good?

This thread is a little old to be adding new posts, I'd suggest making a new thread if you have any questions.