PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars- The Old Republic Free?!

MightyMicah
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I just read on LucasArts.com that Star Wars- The Old Republic will be free "with certain restrictions" up to level 50. That's insane, considering before it was up to 15. I am pretty pumped about this. All I care about is gettin' mah light saber and playin' some pvp.

Does anyone play this game already? And can you give me some info on how fun it is and stuff? Seriously, Star wars is the only game that could ever completely replace PL.

Thanks in advance!
~MM

Nihiliste
08-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Star Wars>PL.

StompArtist
08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I stopped playing and moved on to TSW.

It's a fun game.

Growwle
08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I just read on LucasArts.com that Star Wars- The Old Republic will be free "with certain restrictions" up to level 50. That's insane, considering before it was up to 15. I am pretty pumped about this. All I care about is gettin' mah light saber and playin' some pvp.

Does anyone play this game already? And can you give me some info on how fun it is and stuff? Seriously, Star wars is the only game that could ever completely replace PL.

Thanks in advance!
~MM

I have played the game since beta and I have mixed feelings about the ftp conversion. If they reduce the drop rates and make it so the only realistic way you can get the best gear is by buying it in the cash shop, they will never get another dime from me. I am however, disappointed that they allowed forum trolls and the "elite" endgamers give them too much bad PR.

Growwle
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
I stopped playing and moved on to TSW.

It's a fun game.

SW is still a great game if you don't expect it to be the second coming of WOW, like so many did. BIOWARE dropped the ball by not making a group finder at launch and not continuing the character stories with each major patch.

StompArtist
08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
SW is still a great game if you don't expect it to be the second coming of WOW, like so many did. BIOWARE dropped the ball by not making a group finder at launch and not continuing the character stories with each major patch.

In space no one can ear you lfg...

bronislav84
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I heard about this before. Biggest problem is they're limiting "endgame" content to subscribers. If you're playing on a non sub account, noraidz4u. There's nothing to do once you cap apparently unless you sub.

I subbed since launch to mid July and enjoyed it. Only quit cause my friends quit but we might be back in F2P. Also my computer broke lol and I still need a new one.

Growwle
08-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I heard about this before. Biggest problem is they're limiting "endgame" content to subscribers. If you're playing on a non sub account, noraidz4u. There's nothing to do once you cap apparently unless you sub.

I subbed since launch to mid July and enjoyed it. Only quit cause my friends quit but we might be back in F2P. Also my computer broke lol and I still need a new one.

It won't be limited to subscribers only, ftp people will have to pay to unlock endgame content, similar to how you used to have to pay plat to unlock certain dungeons in PL. That is the price you will have to pay if you don't want to be bound to a subscription.

Nihiliste
08-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Anyone when when Battlefront 3 comes out?

Growwle
08-19-2012, 05:36 PM

In space no one can ear you lfg...

Since the server merges and addition of the group finder, this is no longer the case. Plus, I am in a fairly active guild that has three OP groups.

bronislav84
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM

It won't be limited to subscribers only, ftp people will have to pay to unlock endgame content, similar to how you used to have to pay plat to unlock certain dungeons in PL. That is the price you will have to pay if you don't want to be bound to a subscription.Mind providing the source for this? According to the chart they released it said no Operations for free players.

I remember having to buy content. I don't mind doing that in TOR as long as they release Cartel Coin prepaid cards.

MightyMicah
08-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Nothing to do? You CAN pvp on the free subscription?...right?

angeldawn
08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I played it when it first came out. Still have a subscription. Just haven't had time to play in the last few months. I love it!!! Never tried pvp though. I hear it's great. I should give it whirl. :-)

bronislav84
08-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Nothing to do? You CAN pvp on the free subscription?...right?And I WANT to pvp...right? Nope, I have zero interest in it.

MightyMicah
08-20-2012, 09:44 AM
And I WANT to pvp...right? Nope, I have zero interest in it.

Lol you misunderstand me bro! XD I live for pvp. What I'm asking you is, will it be possible for me to pvp on the free subscription? :P

bronislav84
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Oh, you can. They're not limiting out the queueing for matches as far as I know.

Me, I don't care for it.

Growwle
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM

It won't be limited to subscribers only, ftp people will have to pay to unlock endgame content, similar to how you used to have to pay plat to unlock certain dungeons in PL. That is the price you will have to pay if you don't want to be bound to a subscription.Mind providing the source for this? According to the chart they released it said no Operations for free players.

I remember having to buy content. I don't mind doing that in TOR as long as they release Cartel Coin prepaid cards.

You are right, I had not read the current FTP FAQ at the time I made my comment. Looks like you will have to sub if you want to run Ops (at least in the beginning). Believe me, if enough people are willing to pay extra for Ops, I am sure Bioware will be happy to charge you for them. Flood their forums with requests for this.

Zapoke
08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh, you can. They're not limiting out the queueing for matches as far as I know.

Me, I don't care for it.

They are limiting the Warzone ques for free accounts, actually. Only "a certain amount" per week.

I love SW:TOR. I've played since it came out.. And I've almost completely quit playing PL because of it lol.
The Warzones in this game are extremely fun (except for Huttball ;) ). Although, if you join a server that's mostly one-faction based, PvP will not be fun. :/ On my server, lowbie PvP is pretty even, but endgame sucks for Imperials (I'm mainly an Imp player lol).

bronislav84
08-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Nah Grow, I don't feel like posting about it. I'm also sure they'll change it eventually. They are just looking for a reason for people to sub. Something exclusive.

Lol Zap, according to people I had talked to Hutt is the most popular mode because you can play against your own faction. That's probably the only mode I would play, but STILL don't care for pvp. I'm primarily a healer. Healers get destroyed in pvp. It's like having a bullseye on your entire body.

My guild and I were on The Ebon Hawk. RP swrver. Zero interest in pvp, but Micah will probably not be happy.

Zapoke
08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Lol Zap, according to people I had talked to Hutt is the most popular mode because you can play against your own faction. That's probably the only mode I would play, but STILL don't care for pvp. I'm primarily a healer. Healers get destroyed in pvp. It's like having a bullseye on your entire body.

My guild and I were on The Ebon Hawk. RP swrver. Zero interest in pvp, but Micah will probably not be happy.

They changed that, too. You can now play all the WZ's against your own faction. The only reason I said something about Huttball is because the Imperials on my server can't figure out how to work together lol.
I play healer, mostly, as well (Operative), and I only go into WZ's with my healer when I get a guild tank to Guard me the entire game. It makes me nearly impossible to kill, so long as the tank is alive.

bronislav84
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Hmm maybe if I had a tank to do that for me I would go but I don't know anybody like that.

MightyMicah
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Only a certain amount? Gosh...no way I'm paying subscription. I'd be happier to only level to 15 and pvp limitlessly. Isn't that the current format they have?

Growwle
08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Only a certain amount? GAY. Gosh...no way I'm paying subscription. I'd be happier to only level to 15 and pvp limitlessly. Isn't that the current format they have?

I believe so.

MightyMicah
08-21-2012, 11:46 PM
I believe so.

Ah well...I can dream cant I? Lol thanks for the info bud! :-)

Zapoke
08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Only a certain amount? GAY. Gosh...no way I'm paying subscription. I'd be happier to only level to 15 and pvp limitlessly. Isn't that the current format they have?

Except you can't talk with the current one. Lol.

MightyMicah
08-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Except you can't talk with the current one. Lol.

What, for real? Hahaha that's messed up... I guess I AM glad it's changing then lol

Cascade
08-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Can't talk=can't chat?

I played SWTOR up to lvl 15 for free then bought a subscription since it was only 15$...Lvl 18 Sith Assassin Vlaerth if anyone wants to play together.

Zapoke
08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Can't talk=can't chat?

I played SWTOR up to lvl 15 for free then bought a subscription since it was only 15$...Lvl 18 Sith Assassin Vlaerth if anyone wants to play together.

Which server you on? I'm on Jedi Covenant: Panday is my (current) main. Gunna be my 3rd capped character soon. :)

What, for real? Hahaha that's messed up... I guess I AM glad it's changing then lol

I agree. But it does motivate to subscribe, no?

Growwle
08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I caught the GW2 bug, so I am leaving SWTOR. Most of my R/L friends left SWTOR long ago.

Cascade
08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm on the Nightmare Lands server its U.K...What's the GW2 bug?

Growwle
08-24-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm on the Nightmare Lands server its U.K...What's the GW2 bug?

Lol, slang for comparing the urge to play GW2 to a disease or (bug). Sorry, thought that would have been understood by most English-speakers, but I guess it is more of an American thing. Also, I just pre-ordered, so I have no idea what server I will play on, most likely a US west coast server.

Cascade
08-24-2012, 04:01 PM
GW2 looks cool but IDK if I wanna pay 60$ for it...I'll stick with SWTOR for now.

Thelastblink
08-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Is this on computer or phone? Zap you told me how awesome it was on comp but when i searched the app store it also had star wars the old republic:) And is it free?

Growwle
08-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Is this on computer or phone? Zap you told me how awesome it was on comp but when i searched the app store it also had star wars the old republic:) And is it free?

SWTOR and GW2 are on the PC. SWTOR has a mobile app, but that is not the game itself.

Zapoke
08-26-2012, 11:21 AM

No, you have to buy the game, and a subscription. :(
Soon SWTOR is getting a f2p option (only free play, still have to buy the game).

StompArtist
08-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Step up to The Secret World if you intend to pay to play.

Thelastblink
08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Sigh my parents never let me buy stuff -.- And I really need a game desperately!