PDA

View Full Version : Automatic skill point distribution needs a fix

JaytB
08-21-2012, 06:21 AM
After creating a couple of new alts recently, I noticed (too late) that the system was actually assigning points for me. I know this function has been there for a while but I hadn't created a new toon for a while too.

The thing is, the system does a really poor job in distributing points in str, int, dex. Below is an example of where my points for a lvl10 birds had gone...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/01c6b93ec8bfc050693583a79390600a.jpg

After seeing that the system added points in STR and INT too, I started to understand why so many newbies distribute their points over str, int and dex instead of focussing on what's important for their class.

The system should teach new players where to put their points in, and focus on the most comon stat for the class. It should not, apparently randomly, start distributing stat points all over the place.

Now I know that there are a lot of valid options for each char (INT bears/birds, STR mage/birds...), but when a new player starts they should learn which stat is most comon for their class. If they follow the system, they'll just put points in stats all over the place without having a clue what's important or not.

IMO, the system should start adding points in DEX for birds, INT for mages and STR for bears (although bears could use some DEX too). That way, new players would at least have an idea of the most comon stats for each class.

MorewizardForums
08-21-2012, 07:00 AM
I agree 100%

I always thought new players did that on purpose

Hadesofshadow
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
wondered why noobs running around with 2h swords

Rauekat
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
After creating a couple of new alts recently, I noticed (too late) that the system was actually assigning points for me. I know this function has been there for a while but I hadn't created a new toon for a while too.

The thing is, the system does a really poor job in distributing points in str, int, dex. Below is an example of where my points for a lvl10 birds had gone...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/01c6b93ec8bfc050693583a79390600a.jpg

After seeing that the system added points in STR and INT too, I started to understand why so many newbies distribute their points over str, int and dex instead of focussing on what's important for their class.

The system should teach new players where to put their points in, and focus on the most comon stat for the class. It should not, apparently randomly, start distributing stat points all over the place.

Now I know that there are a lot of valid options for each char (INT bears/birds, STR mage/birds...), but when a new player starts they should learn which stat is most comon for their class. If they follow the system, they'll just put points in stats all over the place without having a clue what's important or not.

IMO, the system should start adding points in DEX for birds, INT for mages and STR for bears (although bears could use some DEX too). That way, new players would at least have an idea of the most comon stats for each class.

Yes plz do not give all 3 dex,int,and str to one class. Give class its specific skills plz. My stats are pretty similar and I just turned the automatic thing off. Got to waste 2 plat now -_-

morfic
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
But this is a foolproof way to promote plat expenditure. New players don't notice it happening. By the time they do, they have to get plat to fix it. Genius!

I dislike it as well. I think it should default OFF, and when you level, give you a pop up saying that you have points to spend, with an option there to have the system automatically assign it.

Brave Sir Robin
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
But this is a foolproof way to promote plat expenditure. New players don't notice it happening. By the time they do, they have to get plat to fix it. Genius!

Haha I was thinking the same thing but then I realised that they give each new player 10 plat. That's enough for some respecs.

morfic
08-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Haha I was thinking the same thing but then I realised that they give each new player 10 plat. That's enough for some respecs.

Touche' Brave Sir Robin! Maybe its just a clever way to ingrain the act of spending plat into the essential functions of playing the game?

Brave Sir Robin
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Touche' Brave Sir Robin! Maybe its just a clever way to ingrain the act of spending plat into the essential functions of playing the game?

Maybe so but who can blame them ;)

morfic
08-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe so but who can blame them ;)

Not I. Good idea.

I just always wondered why they did that to new players. It really ruins any decent builds. :p

drewcapu
08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
The main issue is that attribute points are, to be blunt, pointless.

What's the point of having an attribute system when the best way to allocate them is to have them all in one stat (unless you're a bear)?

In another thread I brought up the idea of having negative stats in gear that have a characteristic which is OP. I think the same concept, to some extent, can be applied to attribute points.

Hear me out...

As a given, we know each class has the following primary/secondary/weak stat:
Bird - Dex / Str / Int
Ench - Int / Dex / Str
Bear - Str / Int / Dex (it's actually Str / Dex / Int, but let's go with Str / Int / Dex so that we work with a cyclical pattern)

Let's take 6 of the stat categories (hit/crit/dodge/armor/Ms/Hs) and assign two per attribute.
For the sake of this discussion, let's group them as:
Dex - Dodge/Crit
Int - Hit/Ms
Str - Armor/Hs

What I always wanted to see was a mechanic where, if you had too high a percentage of stats allocated somewhere, other stats begin to decline.

With the above pairings, if a bird were to go pure dex, the stats associated to Int (Hit/Ms) would begin to decline at some point.
If an enchantress were to go pure int, the stats associated with Str (Armor/Hs) would begin to decline at some point.
If a bear were to go pure str, the stats associated with Dex (Dodge/Crit) would begin to decline at some point.

The idea here is you basically wouldn't want to go pure. You would actually have to see how your stats change with your attribute allocations instead of blindly putting them all in one category.

Granted, there are details and allocation scenarios which aren't worked out here. This is just meant to hopefully allow people to think outside the PL box and see if another paradigm could possibly work better.

Rare
08-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I think it should default OFF, and when you level, give you a pop up saying that you have points to spend, with an option there to have the system automatically assign it.

100%. Or have a part of the tutorial that explains it. It may already be there. I haven't gone through the tutorial in so long. Maybe its been added. When I started though, I didn't have a clue.

ThePvpTwink
08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I always forget to turn it off. I realize then I'm already level 2 and have to respec >_>

Sts should add an option whether to turn it on or off upon character creation like the "head start with gear and slots for 30 plat thing"

Hadesofshadow
08-22-2012, 12:56 AM
The main issue is that attribute points are, to be blunt, pointless.

What's the point of having an attribute system when the best way to allocate them is to have them all in one stat (unless you're a bear)?

In another thread I brought up the idea of having negative stats in gear that have a characteristic which is OP. I think the same concept, to some extent, can be applied to attribute points.

Hear me out...

As a given, we know each class has the following primary/secondary/weak stat:
Bird - Dex / Str / Int
Ench - Int / Dex / Str
Bear - Str / Int / Dex (it's actually Str / Dex / Int, but let's go with Str / Int / Dex so that we work with a cyclical pattern)

Let's take 6 of the stat categories (hit/crit/dodge/armor/Ms/Hs) and assign two per attribute.
For the sake of this discussion, let's group them as:
Dex - Dodge/Crit
Int - Hit/Ms
Str - Armor/Hs

What I always wanted to see was a mechanic where, if you had too high a percentage of stats allocated somewhere, other stats begin to decline.

With the above pairings, if a bird were to go pure dex, the stats associated to Int (Hit/Ms) would begin to decline at some point.
If an enchantress were to go pure int, the stats associated with Str (Armor/Hs) would begin to decline at some point.
If a bear were to go pure str, the stats associated with Dex (Dodge/Crit) would begin to decline at some point.

The idea here is you basically wouldn't want to go pure. You would actually have to see how your stats change with your attribute allocations instead of blindly putting them all in one category.

Granted, there are details and allocation scenarios which aren't worked out here. This is just meant to hopefully allow people to think outside the PL box and see if another paradigm could possibly work better.

you have obviously never seen mrsbanana pally or qwerty int bird