PDA

View Full Version : AL - Leap For More Hardcore MMO?

dudetus
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
As I am searching for all the possible data out of AL (nothing new) I have been thinking (wut) what kind of a game is AL going to be.

We have the fantasy MMO (PL), we have the sci-fi MMO (SL) and the horror MMO (DL). What is AL going to be?

By the cover, AL seems to be a clone of PL. There we have the "core" of PL, a mage, a warrior and an archer. Why does STS make a clone out of an already existing game? That's because it won't be a clone.

Since STS' beginning, their games have been moving bit by bit to more mature audiences, and now DL as the tip of the iceberg. PL is generally suitable for children of all ages by the actual battles and game interface. SL goes a bit mature. Laser guns and armors and even scary leech type of monsters. And well, DL is all about blood and mayhem. By looking this development and the cover of AL, I am going to assume that this game is going to be a sort of "hardcore". By hardcore I mean a MMO which has so many features and possibilities to do that a newbie to the features is oblivious in the beginning. "Hardcore" MMOs are harder to begin with, but as the person gets the feel of that hardcore MMO, the term "gaming" goes to another whole level.

Party members will be able to combine their abilities to unlock explosive combos for devastating effects. As players level, they choose to specialize in certain skills, allowing them to further customize characters to suit their play style.

The core of Arcane Legends is the groundbreaking combat system that will deliver the most fast-paced, action-oriented co-op and player-vs-player gameplay of any Legends title. Players will decide whether to use multiple quick attacks or take the time to charge up and land more destructive strikes. Determining when to utilize a fully charged "rage meter" that unleashes special high-powered attacks unique to each class will also be critical to success.

Looking at this launch announcement forum post it is more than certain, that AL will differ from any of other Legends' game dramatically by the gameplay.

"As players level, they choose to specialize in certain skills, allowing them to further customize characters to suit their play style."

It seems that my long time waiting to get the skill trees is over. Skill Trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_tree) are one of the best things about modern MMOs. Basically they let u to fully customize ur own char with unique skill setup to get a character which u truly want and desire. If skill trees are a part of AL, it is more than likely that there are other modern MMO features as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw fortification system or even some sort of orb system. Fortification system is simple, it lets u fortify ur equipments to better. Gem system is a system where u can put specific stat raising gems (Crit, dodge, etc.) to ur equipment. Usually fortification and orb system go hand-to-hand, like if u fortify a helmet to lvl 5, u have an extra orb spot.

Fortification and orb systems alongside with skill trees would be a great thing for both the company, but for the players as well. Players will have a chance to fully customize ur own character and company would make money by selling orbs and fortification possibilities with real money.

"The core of Arcane Legends is the groundbreaking combat system that will deliver the most fast-paced, action-oriented co-op and player-vs-player gameplay of any Legends title. Players will decide whether to use multiple quick attacks or take the time to charge up and land more destructive strikes. Determining when to utilize a fully charged "rage meter" that unleashes special high-powered attacks unique to each class will also be critical to success."

fast-paced and action-oriented are seldom words to describe something easy. As the game engine seems to be completely different which we have seen before, there will be big changes. deciding between quick attacks and power attacks is also common modern MMO feature alongside with a "rage meter" type of charging "power" which gains charge by succesful hits. This could be alike with DLs charging attacks and "feeding" but I do think they will differ as it is being promised.

There isn't anything certain yet since we don't know a squat about AL. But by the little bits of information, I sincerely believe and hope AL is STS' leap to hardcore MMOs. I am myself very active MMO gamer and if STS is going to make a hardcore MMO, I will so be rocking that game.

Worship
08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
There we have the "core" of PL, a mage, a warrior and an archer. Why does STS make a clone out of an already existing game?

Well... theres going to be the Berserker (warrior), Wizard (mage), and Rouge.. so its not exactly like a clone.. :p

Yes, the Skill Tree will be a big factor of the game, it should affect the gameplay a ton!

And about the release date.. Every website that has a 'set' date says: August 2012

Xionskull
08-21-2012, 10:41 AM
This truly sounds like another game I played called Grand Chase that had a a playing style like, you have 3 skills they are pretty cool tap the rage button you will glow, the skills turn 2x as kewl and 2x hit, but it takes time to regain rage, rage is kinda like buffs, but it isn't a skill.

Just my piece o cake.

*Zero*
08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Al = pl 2.0

dudetus
08-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Well... theres going to be the Berserker (warrior), Wizard (mage), and Rouge.. so its not exactly like a clone.. :p

Yes, the Skill Tree will be a big factor of the game, it should affect the gameplay a ton!

And about the release date.. Every website that has a 'set' date says: August 2012[/COLOR]

Berserker/warrior is a tank type of character which has high hp and armor and cc-skills.

Mage/wizard is a AoE damage character with high damage spells with low armor and hp and healing possibilities alongside buffs.

Rogue/assasin/archer type of character is high single damage skills and debuffs with low armor and hp.

It is not about the actual names but about the actual ROLE of the character.

And about the time when AL arrives, if I recall correctly STS just told that AL is going to delay... I believe STS staff more than random websites...

shadow90
08-22-2012, 04:34 AM
If it isn't near end of august, then it'll be mid september.
Info from Marketing Director of STS.

Swampy
08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm excited for AL and hope it will be more hardcore. I like the fantasy theme with more DL mechanics. DL is a little too dark (can't see what's going on!) so I'm really waiting for AL!

Worship
08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Berserker/warrior is a tank type of character which has high hp and armor and cc-skills.

Mage/wizard is a AoE damage character with high damage spells with low armor and hp and healing possibilities alongside buffs.

Rogue/assasin/archer type of character is high single damage skills and debuffs with low armor and hp.

It is not about the actual names but about the actual ROLE of the character.

And about the time when AL arrives, if I recall correctly STS just told that AL is going to delay... I believe STS staff more than random websites...

You just repeated what I said.. I put the (warrior/Mage) in parenthesis because I'm referring it to the PL classes..

And AL was not 'delayed', since it never had an actual release date..

Taikeo
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I am very excited about this game.. I love the graphics, theme and gameplay of Dark Legends, but really like traditional fantasy. This game seems to fit the bill perfectly. I hope it is not truly hardcore, just more depth than DL. Just praying it will run on my iPad 1!!

Tayvar
08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
I hope its for the hard-core. Leave Pocket Legends to the kiddies and nooblets and give Arcane to the insane hard core gamers. Let this game be for those who care more about their stats and abilities than what vanity they are wearing. Give us options that keep us up at night debating on where to best spend this skill point or that one. Give us those little details such as weapon and armour mods, jewelry slots, etc.. Skill trees that allow for custom and viable builds. Allow for multiple hybridization across the classes. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Cahaun
08-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I read that the enemies are going to be smarter than ever. Instead of archers charging us, they'll be kiting us.
Also, it's supposed to be ultra in graphics. Really good graphics. (Expect it to be compatible more with high-tech phones)

Matutd
08-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I read the first line. You thinking? Now I know the rest will be lies, at least make it believable hahah.
Jk I'll get to reading it now :)

dudetus
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I hope its for the hard-core. Leave Pocket Legends to the kiddies and nooblets and give Arcane to the insane hard core gamers. Let this game be for those who care more about their stats and abilities than what vanity they are wearing. Give us options that keep us up at night debating on where to best spend this skill point or that one. Give us those little details such as weapon and armour mods, jewelry slots, etc.. Skill trees that allow for custom and viable builds. Allow for multiple hybridization across the classes. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Haha JUST what I am thinking about! Well said bro!

dudetus
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I read the first line. You thinking? Now I know the rest will be lies, at least make it believable hahah.
Jk I'll get to reading it now :)

My brain hurts.

n00b13st
08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm excited for AL and hope it will be more hardcore. I like the fantasy theme with more DL mechanics. DL is a little too dark (can't see what's going on!) so I'm really waiting for AL!

I agree - I get the darkness theme but in some of the levels I can hardly see. The best I can do is turn the brightness on my tablet all the way up and it doesn't help as much as I'd like. An in game brightness slider is crucial.

n00b13st
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM

There is one sense of hardcore where I'd agree - the careful planning and configuration of characters/skills/equipment. But not the "playing 40-80 hours per week or more grinding the same level over and over and over and over..." hardcore. The second form is why DL is currently the only game I play from STS. There are more people in the world like me, with jobs (thus some money to spend on the game) and lives, than kids/students/etc. with loads of spare time to spend on a game. Thus it makes sense to attract players like me, IMO.

Taikeo
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
There is one sense of hardcore where I'd agree - the careful planning and configuration of characters/skills/equipment. But not the "playing 40-80 hours per week or more grinding the same level over and over and over and over..." hardcore. The second form is why DL is currently the only game I play from STS. There are more people in the world like me, with jobs (thus some money to spend on the game) and lives, than kids/students/etc. with loads of spare time to spend on a game. Thus it makes sense to attract players like me, IMO.

Exactly, I want DEPTH, not GRIND!