PDA

View Full Version : My SL experiment with credits

KillaSkillz
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I see A LOT of panhandling so I wanted to see how hard it really was to build credits. I have a premium toon locked level 10 commando alt and I figured lets run a test.
6 auction slots and 1000 credits (i figured anyone playing to level 10 could build 1000 creds). In exactly 7 days I am at 12,000 credits. I have not run a map or done a mission, just buying low priced items from the terminal and selling around normal when I saw something listed too low. it could be an I helm for 75 credits (sold for 250), or battleshell chest for 15 credits (sold for 225), didn't matter what it was even low level yellow armor would turn a bit of profit. Undercutting is a serious problem, after my first day (i went from 1k-4k) things slowed down and I needed to relist a few things a couple times in order to sell. as soon as I would put something up 3-4 ppl would list 50c or more cheaper than the last one, and in some cases, I had to wait for them to sell theirs too cheap, then sell mine after, or buy theirs if cheap enough and relist it. I sat right around 4-6k but built up some inventory through to day 6 (monday morning) and then my inventory sold down and I reached 12k. I still have a hand full of items, if sold probably reach 15k.

In summary I turned 1k into 12k in 7 days by doing basically nothing except paying attention. From a newbie perspective, I can see how hard it is to learn the finer details of merching, knowing what normal/low is when they see it., and how disappointing the AH can be to a newbie when they keep getting undercut.
It wasn't that easy but it wasn't really hard if you keep at it and don't get discouraged.

I think I will continue this a bit longer. I have an idea to keep it going until that original 1k builds up enough to buy me a squidbuddy!

HunterSLAYER
08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
I see A LOT of panhandling so I wanted to see how hard it really was to build credits. I have a premium toon locked level 10 commando alt and I figured lets run a test.
6 auction slots and 1000 credits (i figured anyone playing to level 10 could build 1000 creds). In exactly 7 days I am at 12,000 credits. I have not run a map or done a mission, just buying low priced items from the terminal and selling around normal when I saw something listed too low. it could be an I helm for 75 credits (sold for 250), or battleshell chest for 15 credits (sold for 225), didn't matter what it was even low level yellow armor would turn a bit of profit. Undercutting is a serious problem, after my first day (i went from 1k-4k) things slowed down and I needed to relist a few things a couple times in order to sell. as soon as I would put something up 3-4 ppl would list 50c or more cheaper than the last one, and in some cases, I had to wait for them to sell theirs too cheap, then sell mine after, or buy theirs if cheap enough and relist it. I sat right around 4-6k but built up some inventory through to day 6 (monday morning) and then my inventory sold down and I reached 12k. I still have a hand full of items, if sold probably reach 15k.

In summary I turned 1k into 12k in 7 days by doing basically nothing except paying attention. From a newbie perspective, I can see how hard it is to learn the finer details of merching, knowing what normal/low is when they see it., and how disappointing the AH can be to a newbie when they keep getting undercut.
It wasn't that easy but it wasn't really hard if you keep at it and don't get discouraged.

I think I will continue this a bit longer. I have an idea to keep it going until that original 1k builds up enough to buy me a squidbuddy!

Gl getting 1.3mil(or above?) For squid buddy.

MerchsFTW4ever!

:)

Sent from my Xperia S using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Kanozaki
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
what people shouldnt be afraid of is undercutting. Just be patient and dont panic. If you seen an item getting under cut , there is two things you can do.

1) Hold you item until price goes back up and move on to something else.

2) Buy the undercut item to control auction price.

Prestige
08-22-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't know how much time you spent each day, but I did this. I made a kd engineer toon and just farmed all the low levels from lvl1-28. I made probably 20-22k credits because he never used any stim or power packs. This probably took me around 4 days to complete. But I did spend a good amount of time just grinding. So on average around 1 credit per kill, but on top of that at least 200 stims and powers.

Lets compare it to PL I could probably make a lot more money off of 21k kills. My bird has around 28k kills and probably around 1mil worth of gold. But lets not forget SL credits are worth much more than PL gold. Lets give a benefit of the doubt and divide the gold by 10 (due to the fact the most expensive items in PL are around 10m and the most expensive items in SL are around 1m give or take). Even then I would have more on PL.

So to put it into perspective, it is a lot harder to earn money on SL than any other legend game regardless of ratios. I'm not even sure how there are mils of credits in the game, besides someone buying all those credits to flood the market. Sorry if I'm a bit off topic, but as a newbie it is very hard to make credits despite the effort you put into it. In the end, pray for a vanity haha.

Cephei
08-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Lol someone offered me 1.5mill for buddy
O.o
But i love my buddy too much.
I named him gismo :3

MYNISTA
08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
O.o

Yeah, I was offered 1.7 yesterday. I said No thanks. My squid's name is "Squeaky."
Great post OP...keep on racking em up!

KillaSkillz
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know how much time you spent each day, but I did this. I made a kd engineer toon and just farmed all the low levels from lvl1-28. I made probably 20-22k credits because he never used any stim or power packs. This probably took me around 4 days to complete. But I did spend a good amount of time just grinding. So on average around 1 credit per kill, but on top of that at least 200 stims and powers.

Lets compare it to PL I could probably make a lot more money off of 21k kills. My bird has around 28k kills and probably around 1mil worth of gold. But lets not forget SL credits are worth much more than PL gold. Lets give a benefit of the doubt and divide the gold by 10 (due to the fact the most expensive items in PL are around 10m and the most expensive items in SL are around 1m give or take). Even then I would have more on PL.

So to put it into perspective, it is a lot harder to earn money on SL than any other legend game regardless of ratios. I'm not even sure how there are mils of credits in the game, besides someone buying all those credits to flood the market. Sorry if I'm a bit off topic, but as a newbie it is very hard to make credits despite the effort you put into it. In the end, pray for a vanity haha.

No killing for me just checking in every 3 or 11 hours to see my auctions and check if something cheap was listed to buy. I figured to do what anyone not running maps, just standing around b* pm'ing people could do, this way also no stim expense.

I'm probably going to create another new toon, maybe one of each class, with just basic starting toons (1 AH slot) and bring them to level 10. I have a feeling it's much harder by class selection and with 1 AH slot to do what I did in the same timeframe, maybe impossible.

flashbackflip
08-22-2012, 09:56 AM

I really don't know why you are comparing SL to PL.. these are two completely different universes in the first place..

On topic:
The way you do it, Killa, is the way I do it from the start... Add to this farming lowest levels for greens and even commons (as commons, not surplus, may turn profit too for lvl 5-7) and you build up good stash of creds..

The ONLY time I converted plat to creds was when I got scammed on xrayz by a 'friend' - I was very upset and instantly bought another one))

Other than that I was reselling and farming.. those several razrs I got hen they were new boosted my cash.. so it's really not so hard to survive if you actually play the game..

Great inspiring post for all those who are ready to start begging :D just play it, dudes!

Kanozaki
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Its true that SL is a lot harder to earn credits , mainly due to the fact of lack of things to farm. That being said it definitely is not impossible. The pan handlers in game are just too lazy to put any effort. A low level wouldnt even need to spend a lot on gear. By the time they reach level 40 they will have more than enough to get a decent set and what not.

KillaSkillz
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah I didn't want to farm greens or anything, because I figured I might get one of those classic vanities which would throw the whole thing off. The most I spent was 1400 on a L22 scavenger rifle that I sold for 2200, it adds up. I do farm and sell good items and flip cheap listings on my other accounts, but I wanted to see the outcome if a person stopped entering instances at level 10. I spent far less time then panhandlers do asking for stuff from random people and I think I got a better return in credits than panhandlers get for their time spent. for sure I don't think I got chat blocked bcs I didn't bother anyone. Lol!

I think it is probably impossible to flip merch on AH with one slot. Kd farming for the credits has got to be the best way over only one AH slot. In which case, why so many panhandlers. People too lazy to grind for creds, and bad luck on what they list on their one slot.

PianoWizzy
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Lol. This was the only way I ever made money at all. Outside of the auction house I have a consistent history of getting ripped off.

It is possible to make money like this though. By my estimste I've made at least 600k, excluding gifts, given and recieved.

Then again this was by circulating 33 auction slots for months on end.

Prestige
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM

I really don't know why you are comparing SL to PL.. these are two completely different universes in the first place..

On topic:
The way you do it, Killa, is the way I do it from the start... Add to this farming lowest levels for greens and even commons (as commons, not surplus, may turn profit too for lvl 5-7) and you build up good stash of creds..

The ONLY time I converted plat to creds was when I got scammed on xrayz by a 'friend' - I was very upset and instantly bought another one))

Other than that I was reselling and farming.. those several razrs I got hen they were new boosted my cash.. so it's really not so hard to survive if you actually play the game..

Great inspiring post for all those who are ready to start begging :D just play it, dudes!

This is a comparison and a reason SL player base is much smaller than any other. Other than lack of level updates. I'm trying to speak for those who aren't as fortunate as the majority of us. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.

flashbackflip
08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
This is a comparison and a reason SL player base is much smaller than any other. Other than lack of level updates.

lol ok ...

the OP is about earning money in SL, man - not about PL/SL differences and not about player bases ;)

but that's ok

Traosabara
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
What kind of search parameters do you use in the auction when looking for stuff to sell? Do you only look for high level items? Only vanities?

I've never really done much merchanting, but I would really like to try my luck.

KillaSkillz
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Speaking for myself, I search starting with rare, then epic, then vanity (although starting out flipping, vanity is too high priced, but I like to look, found a full gas mask listed for 50 creds once), and I search from lowest to highest priced so I see the cheapest stuff first. For level 22 greens I search by level (put "22" in both high and low level boxes and hit search) that will narrow down just to those. Unique names seem to sell well, like I helmet, or purloined jacket as example, but you gotta watch them a bit to figure out the normal price so you know when you see a low priced one, that you can make a bit of creds on. Gotta remember the auction house fees, and factor that in to see if there is room to make some credits. a good place is one of the selling guides green section, they have the more desirable greens listed by name.

Now more common items like voleria armor today are averaging 100-150 a piece. but they can go as high as 500 each at the right time. When I see someone list for 30 creds or less I buy it and watch the listings, when its higher, I list on a 3 hour somewhere between 300-500 creds. This gives me room to list a couple times if I have to and still make a profit. (thats more for bulk AH merching, lots of listings, and clearing 100 or 200 a sale. and we all know voleria purples drop like water and are easy to farm, but they sell, people want that one missing piece I guess).

it really is just trial and error stay cheap and small at first till you get a good feel for it and what to look for this way you limit your losses when you make an error, and you will make errors and lose sometimes, we all do :) don't let it discourage you, cost and loss are a part of doing business.
Thats a basic overview, the AH is your friend!

Traosabara
08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks a lot! I know it's all a matter of being patient. :)

Zaonabiuibil
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Gl getting 1.3mil(or above?) For squid buddy.

MerchsFTW4ever!

:)

Sent from my Xperia S using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

O.o

Yeah, I was offered 1.7 yesterday. I said No thanks. My squid's name is "Squeaky."
Great post OP...keep on racking em up!

<3 Squiddy, mine's name is Nacho

PianoWizzy
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
In blazes happened to squid buddy lmao. I remember when it was 800k tops and I'm a noob D:

Bussinessmanx
08-22-2012, 06:51 PM
that was my gask mask I put in auction :( should have waited but ok np :) . plus my squidys name is Business :))

Esoul
08-29-2012, 05:56 AM
It's very hard to earn credit from Star legends(why must liquidate item only got 5 credits each..). . .All my friends quit play and back play PL or DL. Just because I like scfi theme. i still play SL sometimes

flashbackflip
08-29-2012, 07:49 AM
It's very hard to earn credit from Star legends(why must liquidate item only got 5 credits each..). . .All my friends quit play and back play PL or DL. Just because I like scfi theme. i still play SL sometimes

Hardcore scifi FTW

Esoul
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Hardcore scifi FTW

Hip hip Horee!! :D

KillaSkillz
08-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Ok. Monday will be 3 weeks. I am already at 30,000 credits. I have not run any maps, or recieved donations. Strictly flipping low price items on the terminal to make a profit. Same rules apply, i am level locked at L10, started with 1k credits, logging in every 3-11 hours to check for low price items, collecting my sales and relisting on 6 slots.

I am finding it slowing down. I am at the point where i need to buy bigger ticket items because buying for 100c and selling for 500c when i can seems to slow the growth of my bankroll, there isn't enough turn over going on of my credits, the majority is sitting in my bankroll. The problem is i am not seeing that kind of profit margin in the bigger ticket items. Buying for 1000 or more and making a couple hundred off each sale seems the wrong way to go, but flipping 1k into 5k opportunities are not that common.

Well, that's where its at. I'm gonna have to do some math and figure out how to make more of my credits work for me, to get it building up faster again.

*EDIT*
Ok checking my calander, i started on aug 15th, 2012, since my first post was on the 22nd. So this post is actually week 2 of the experiment.
My bad, but on a positive note, i am doing better than i thought :)

amirz./.amirulhakim
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
nice

Szangheili
08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
I have to agree, I am probably the poorest Lvl 40 right now. I got scammed a few times for lots of credits, and even a razer... Now I have about 6k stashed, I am planning to stop PvE'ing and become a merchant... Buy, sell, and make profit... I can live with never capping...

KillaSkillz
09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
You can do both Szangheili, building bank will go more fast. The key to doing both is making sure you are selling enough to continue building bank and keep yourself in stims. Its really not that hard to do.

The hard part right now is the gear is all old news, so mostly it sells for lower than it could. With a new cap increase and new gear people should be able to sock away a chunk of change just grinding xp and selling the more decent pieces from the drops [but always keeping the best for yourself :) ]

I don't have luck with personal sales and trades, i use the terminal, it's about as safe as it can get. You just gotta watch the listing fees they
can eat up your profit if you keep relisting, or list too low

KillaSkillz
09-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi all, ok after checking the dates this is the end of week 3 of the experiment and I have reached 50,060 credits. I changed up a bit middle of last week and moved out of the usual greens I saw opportunity in Zevon pets, and guttersnipes which were both around 2k-2500, I bought a few of each when they dropped just below 2500 and when they were back up close to 5k relisted and sold at 4k making a 1,500 profit on each. I figure I bought and 3 of each waited a day and sold until the opportunity dried up. The rest were L25 and below greens.

3 weeks, 50k, just off of flipping items that were priced lower than normal on the terminal. I favor an 11 hour auction it seems to be the right length of time for most items. 3 hours can be too short and it don't sell. And above 11 hours seems to be too long and I wind up getting undercut and my item don't sell either.

This weeks tip is: those that pay attention are rewarded.
This 50k flipped off of 1k equals:
-One sweet item! (many things can be bought with 50k)
Or
-about 7,000 stims!
Or
-1/30th of the way to a squidbuddy!
Or
- 1 piece of level 40 armor customized, and change left over!

21 days, average is almost 2400 in profit each day. where will I be in another week?

Zaonabiuibil
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi all, ok after checking the dates this is the end of week 3 of the experiment and I have reached 50,060 credits. I changed up a bit middle of last week and moved out of the usual greens I saw opportunity in Zevon pets, and guttersnipes which were both around 2k-2500, I bought a few of each when they dropped just below 2500 and when they were back up close to 5k relisted and sold at 4k making a 1,500 profit on each. I figure I bought and 3 of each waited a day and sold until the opportunity dried up. The rest were L25 and below greens.

3 weeks, 50k, just off of flipping items that were priced lower than normal on the terminal. I favor an 11 hour auction it seems to be the right length of time for most items. 3 hours can be too short and it don't sell. And above 11 hours seems to be too long and I wind up getting undercut and my item don't sell either.

This weeks tip is: those that pay attention are rewarded.
This 50k flipped off of 1k equals:
-One sweet item! (many things can be bought with 50k)
Or
-about 7,000 stims!
Or
-1/30th of the way to a squidbuddy!
Or
- 1 piece of level 40 armor customized, and change left over!

21 days, average is almost 2400 in profit each day. where will I be in another week?

Very impressive. Can't wait till you hit 100k!

(And I've noticed as people make more low level greens seem insignificant, but that's how you made that money, so even if the profit seems little, it's still better than nothing.)

KillaSkillz
09-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Hi everybody! Its the end of week 4 and I am at 65,750 in creds. Sales on the terminal slowed down considerably, I am thinking it is related to the level cap increase annoincement and people are now saving instead for the upcoming new items. Well that and there is quite a bit of L5-L25 greens out there from people trying to get a party hat which doesn't help me getting higher prices for mine.

I do have a stockpile of items, I figure about 15k invested that I could sell eventually for 30-45k, but right now sales cooled down. Should be good here to get items pretty cheap until update, people are selling just to sell. Its a buyers market.

flashbackflip
09-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanx Killa! Really good insights

Szangheili
09-18-2012, 02:15 AM
And this is exactly why I am poor today... Gonna have to start merching the right way..

Szangheili
09-18-2012, 02:21 AM
You know what, I'm gonna do this same experiment... Starting Tuesday September 17th, and I'll give myself a few weeks, see where I end up... Wish me luck! (Right now I am dirt poor, less then 1k creds, lol, remember that)

Itoopeo
09-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Im now richer than ever. I have 32k credits and stuff that is worth 210 000 credits (custom runetech set and custom chaos breather for looks) i will sell that later for that price and buy new customs if i find low price offer. :D

KillaSkillz
09-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Really glad I could inspire some people to give flipping off the terminal a shot. It's a bit more advanced than reselling or just straight up selling. You have to pay attention to what sells at what prices and keep track of what doesn't work so well and avoid it when you see it. I.e the I helmet. Its currently around 100c, but honestly never sells above 250c. There is a bit of room if it can sell at 250c but if you end up having to relist it, you might end up losing credits.

Anyone can flip items with a bit of practice, paying attention and a bit of patience. Sometimes you gotta wait a day or two for prices to go up before selling certain items. And sometimes you will get stuck with a loss, but don't get discouraged, overall your credits will increase quickly.

I've never really tried with the more expensive items like vanities. for one, I like to keep the ones I have lol.
I'm kind of scared to tie up so much credit in one item if it turns out I take a loss. there are some on the game that are experienced in it. Just too much risk for me plus the really great deals aren't on the terminal, they are from personal trade/sales that I have concerns over (either being called a scammer or getting scammed). For me the terminal is just a really clean way of doing business.

I'm really happy to hear some are giving it a shot. If anyone needs some advice on it in game add me ign: killaskillz. I'd be glad to share what I learned.

Szangheili
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll definitely add you if I don't already... Today I am busy which is unexpected... But I'll hit you up whenever I am ready to start merching wisely, I have done some deals in the past which I now regret, like selling expensive items for a lot cheaper only because I was a bit too desperate for creds...

BodMaster
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM

I understand where you are coming from fully.

Previously made a thread on this, and to work out an average, I went by StS's values. Meaning how much StS believe PL Guild is worth, and same for SL. Works out about what you have said above.

@OP, It's definitely a smart way of merching (:

SkillFullGamer
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
what people shouldnt be afraid of is undercutting. Just be patient and dont panic. If you seen an item getting under cut , there is two things you can do.

Hes Asian...take his advice ;O!

Zaonabiuibil
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Hes Asian...take his advice ;O!

No he forgot 3.

3) Undercut the item that undercut you XD

KillaSkillz
09-19-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm back again. It's the end of week 5. My credit total is 85,294.
I only have 2 zevon yorrs left I bought for 2k each, and it looks like I will have to wait a bit for them to go up on the terminal to 3-4k before I sell (which looks like it could be a few days)

I've given it some thought. I'm going to end this experiment right here. I want to focus on the update that's supposed to happen sometime this week with my other toons.

Ok so after 35 days my average is righ around 2,500 in profit each day. As said previously, no map running, or begging. Just 6 auction slots and buying low off the auction terminal and relisting higher when the opportunity comes to create profit.

At this point, it would probably be wise to stash 50k of the 85k as a nest egg. And continue working with the 35k remaining.
This way you now have a savings going. and hey, as long as it's there you can never call yourself broke again! And if you find yourself short on creds, pull out 1k and get back to flipping items bought from the terminal then replace the 1k once you're comfortable again. :)

There is no doubt in my mind if I continued this for a year and maintained the profit rate of 2400 credits a day or better, I would be above 800k after 1 year, maybe even above 1 million creds.

I think the 6 auction slots is a must, so a premium toon is a good choice to start with. It's a pain but downloading the free plat offers to make a premium alt just for selling with is a great idea for people that don't want to or can't spend real life money on platinum to get the premium character.

So, I bring this experiment to a close and mark it down as a success. If it was also done with running maps and selling dropped items , the results would have been even better (although with the added stim expense).

I'll be around. Thanks for reading, good luck and good fortune!

HunterSLAYER
09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm back again. It's the end of week 5. My credit total is 85,294.
I only have 2 zevon yorrs left I bought for 2k each, and it looks like I will have to wait a bit for them to go up on the terminal to 3-4k before I sell (which looks like it could be a few days)

I've given it some thought. I'm going to end this experiment right here. I want to focus on the update that's supposed to happen sometime this week with my other toons.

Ok so after 35 days my average is righ around 2,500 in profit each day. As said previously, no map running, or begging. Just 6 auction slots and buying low off the auction terminal and relisting higher when the opportunity comes to create profit.

At this point, it would probably be wise to stash 50k of the 85k as a nest egg. And continue working with the 35k remaining.
This way you now have a savings going. and hey, as long as it's there you can never call yourself broke again! And if you find yourself short on creds, pull out 1k and get back to flipping items bought from the terminal then replace the 1k once you're comfortable again. :)

There is no doubt in my mind if I continued this for a year and maintained the profit rate of 2400 credits a day or better, I would be above 800k after 1 year, maybe even above 1 million creds.

I think the 6 auction slots is a must, so a premium toon is a good choice to start with. It's a pain but downloading the free plat offers to make a premium alt just for selling with is a great idea for people that don't want to or can't spend real life money on platinum to get the premium character.

So, I bring this experiment to a close and mark it down as a success. If it was also done with running maps and selling dropped items , the results would have been even better (although with the added stim expense).

I'll be around. Thanks for reading, good luck and good fortune!

Awesome.
*Leprecaun appears with pot o' gold.

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2