PDA

View Full Version : Beneficial thoughts on the new Nuri gear

MightyMicah
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey Spacetime! I wanted to take a minute and share some interesting thoughts on this new nuri gear that was recently released. I believe that these thoughts should be taken very seriously by the community and by STS. (or at least as serious as game talk gets ;)) By the way, I'm not sure if I missed a thread on this or not, so I apologize in advance for any repeated ideas.

I'd like to start by saying that, unless things change, I believe that these new sets are going to be valueless quite quickly. Why? Well, let me explain.

What is it that gives items value? Well it seems to me, and I'm sure you will agree, that there are essentially two reasons. (or at least the two most important reasons. Although I can't, personally, think of any more than two)

Reason #1- Stats
Reason #2- Looks

#1-Stats

This one is probably the most obvious. Everyone always likes to have the best possible stats on their character. Even to the point where people will buy a pink vs a purple simply to gain 1 or 2 damage and maybe a critical. Most people (very common in twinking) will spend 10 platinum on a new face for their character that's gives a measly 1 hit% or critical or whatever the case may be. Personally, I never change the face of my bird because I like the look of the cardinal head the best. Notice what I just said. The LOOK of my cardinal face.

#2-Looks

Ok, so that brings us to the looks of an item. Why would someone buy an item for the looks of it? The question is why wouldn't somone?! Everybody likes to look as awesome as possible. Or at least I do... I have spent extra to buy a purple toyman over a pink candle. Why? Because I like the looks better. On my level 30 Mage I like to equip full earth gear and a 30 candle wand. Why? Because earth looks beast! Even though I lose some stats, I'm ok with it because of the LOOKS.

Alright, so as I stated above, I'm fairly certain those are the only two factors that give an item value. (I suppose you might say that sentimental reasons give items value. However, in those select cases, it seems more likely to be personal value.) So now let's examine the new gear and see where it stands as far as stats and looks go.

Stats

While I don't have any pictures I'm sure many can confirm that the new items aren't TOO shabby until you look at the weapon. There is a serious lack of damage in the weapon for each set. I'm talking near 100 less damage. That's a lot of damage. Certainly no one would hope to equip these sets and kill anything...period. Now while the damage is obviously the main factor here, I noticed as well that the armor is fairly significantly less as well than the original Nuri gear. No where near 100, but I noticed about 5 or 6 less in the helm and about 10-12 less in the armor. Haven't even checked the shield yet...Anyways, the point is, this gear is no where near as good as the current nuri sets. The stat value of this gear is very lacking.

Looks

Personally, I think the looks of these new sets are the crap! (that's good :D) I particularly love the top hat and suit. It's pretty epic and I'm not gonna lie. Maybe some disagree, but as far as I'm concerned the looks value of this gear is pretty good, indeed.

I'm finally beginning to wrap this thread up now. So we have determined that the stats are horrible, but the looks are great. We know that both looks and stats have a determining factor in the value of an item. But which one holds more value? The stats. Hands down. While these new items look epic, they will fade as time goes on. New cool looking gear will come out and replace these. After all, if looks are the only reason someone would buy these, and they don't look as cool anymore...ehh, you get what I'm saying, I'm sure. The value of these items rests solely in the looks. Over time that value will continue to decrease.

Was it all a waste then? I definitely think so. STS brought an amazing new dungeon out that drops cool looking gear in order to generate more platinum and satisfy customers. I'm afraid, however, that as time passes this dungeon will be as dead as the rest of Nuri's. Then these new looks will have been wasted, and there will be not a penny for STS from this new campaign.

What's the solution? Easy. Better stats! I don't see why the new gear shouldn't have the same stats as the old gear. People claimed the old gear will lose its value but that's not true at all. Did the 2010 winter items lose value when the new winter campaign dropped equally good items with different looks? Nope. Why would Nuri be any different? Even if they didn't get identical stats to the old Nuri, I think we can all agree that the stats should be better than they currently are. Especially the damage.

Alrighty. That's all I got! Lemme know your thoughts! I really hope that somehow this thread made a difference and the new gear will get vamped up a bit. It's really ashamed to see it all go to waste...
~MM

Energizeric
08-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I got the prestidigitator set to wear when I'm hanging around the CS merching, and then I wear my sand walker set when I'm fighting in the dungeons. I think a lot of people have the same thing in mind as I've been seeing a lot of prestidigitator and merrymaker sets being worn in balefort.

slaveleia
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Great analysis & thread...I would totally agree MM...the looks of these Prestidigitator & Merrymaker sets are epic...amazing. I would like to wear them more than the cap sets...Sandwalker, Sandskipper, & Sandgoddess. The Humania sets are terrific too don't get me wrong. The Nuris mini dungeon stuff is so much fun...the hahahas!....& even the annoying sound of the horn!

I got so used to wearing it, I ran into Humanias Sandy Pointe map & got planted on my back by a giant yeti even on elixirs.

Suentous PO
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
one odd thing that might make their value hold up, is that the newness is fading. when it first came out there were more farmers and more in cs, now, not so much. kinds like when dragon armor was new, and it existed in cs. now few farmers and one piece is over cap. not saying it will be just like that but, you know.im not farming there now that i have both sets, and im not selling cuz i collect. its mostly a vanity with stats.

Energizeric
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Plus this set only drops in paid map. I can't think of any other item in PL that only drops in a paid map. I think they will hold their value for this reason alone. There's never going to be a huge supply.

FluffNStuff
08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I could of sworn there would of been a stat fix. I mean the two handed dex honker has the SAME damage as the one handed cards. They seem bugged, but it seems odd there was no fix.

slaveleia
08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah it's more exclusive since it's coming from a paid map. The level 56 version of the stuff is high up in price for obvious reasons but don't know if anyone's buying...

Energizeric
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Actually the lvl56 stuff is starting to come down in price since it's mostly 56s who are farming the new dungeon looking for 56 glyph items and getting the new set items instead. When I looked in the CS yesterday there was actually more 56 stuff available than 60 for the new set items.

MightyMicah
08-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

blurryeyes
08-22-2012, 08:11 PM
very agree with you! raise their stats...

but I love the merrymaker horn set, and I spent a lot to get it!

The merrymaker horn is one of the 2 weapons that give unique sound effects (the other is cyber blaster), the honk noise!

Plus it doesnt shoot out bullet or arrows and it shoots music notes!

The full set gives a HAHAHAHAHA which is also something very new and different (not sparkles or smoke)

But yes I agree the stats are too low!, I wish they were just vanity for the looks

Elyseon
08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
very agree with you! raise their stats...

but I love the merrymaker horn set, and I spent a lot to get it!

The merrymaker horn is one of the 2 weapons that give unique sound effects (the other is cyber blaster), the honk noise!

Plus it doesnt shoot out bullet or arrows and it shoots music notes!

The full set gives a HAHAHAHAHA which is also something very new and different (not sparkles or smoke)

But yes I agree the stats are too low!, I wish they were just vanity for the looks
in pvp the horn makes the target cry, which people always do vs me anyways so nothing too new

Subscriber
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
The horn. . . OMG, kmn.

lilweezy
08-23-2012, 12:34 AM
I got the prestidigitator set to wear when I'm hanging around the CS merching, and then I wear my sand walker set when I'm fighting in the dungeons. I think a lot of people have the same thing in mind as I've been seeing a lot of prestidigitator and merrymaker sets being worn in balefort.

i see what you did there...

i wouldnt wear a tuxedo to the gym and shorts to a wedding so same thing applies in alterra

Ortalan
08-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Great stuff, thanks for the post.... However, I'm thinking it might be smart to go ahead and take that closer look at the Prestidigitator shield stats. They are in fact pretty significantly BETTER than their corresponding glyph shields. Not sure if nine points of armor is worth sacrificing the set bonus on a mainline 1h glyph set, but the non-bonus 1h "sets" (nuri wand, bigtop mace, and mimicry dagger) can ALL be improved by switching out the shield for a Presti bunny.

MightyMicah
08-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Great stuff, thanks for the post.... However, I'm thinking it might be smart to go ahead and take that closer look at the Prestidigitator shield stats. They are in fact pretty significantly BETTER than their corresponding glyph shields. Not sure if nine points of armor is worth sacrificing the set bonus on a mainline 1h glyph set, but the non-bonus 1h "sets" (nuri wand, bigtop mace, and mimicry dagger) can ALL be improved by switching out the shield for a Presti bunny.

Fascinating...I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Pakax
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I have the merrymaker mimicry and the Presti big top sets in 56, as I am one of those 56 farmers.I would agree the stats are too low. I reckon they should be lower than the old set, but not THAT low. Moreover, I really think there should be a set bonus to these and there is noe for now. This is the big problem for me. At this point in time, I get more damage and armor with a forgotten bow, old glyph obe armor than with the full new sets...

MightyMicah
08-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I have the merrymaker mimicry and the Presti big top sets in 56, as I am one of those 56 farmers.I would agree the stats are too low. I reckon they should be lower than the old set, but not THAT low. Moreover, I really think there should be a set bonus to these and there is noe for now. This is the big problem for me. At this point in time, I get more damage and armor with a forgotten bow, old glyph obe armor than with the full new sets...

You mean a set bonus for 56? Because I'm fairly certain there is one for 60.