PDA

View Full Version : A Few Ideas (for everything)

Junside
08-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Not necessarily "ideas" but some things I think would be good.

A lot of my suggestions would require almost an entire game overhaul... x.x

Keep in mind these are my opinions and I'm just throwing them out there. You can love em or hate em. And DL developers can add it to their R&D.

Classes - If in the future we all have the same skills to choose from, I think that in the long run, there isn't much room for variety and strategy between each player. Right now all we have are vanities to personalize ourselves interestingly. And PVP may also slowly go into a gray space where sooner or later, there will be ONE build that everyone will discover, using the same skills, and same point distribution. It would only come down to ping and reaction speed. I propose a few classes...

Druidic - We have a skill that summons rats that inflict an agonizing gnawing on our foes. Summoning minions is definitely possible. A temporary ally, ( like in those jet fighter games where you can have a special helper). A druidic character will use the powers of nature and the beyond.

Hell Bats - One might have a skill to summon hell bats that spit fire at foes within the caster's radius. Higher levels summon more hell bats and higher DPS.

Earth Root - Games like Dota have shown us that you can name a skill something else, but it still stuns, roots or disorients targets. A simple multi target rooting skill.

Armor of Nature - Temporarily increase defense.

Morphing - Ability to morph into a werewolf, centurion, etc.

I'll try not to get too far into Diablo/WoW things...

Cleric - this class wouldn't really have missile skills. Instead he or she would have a bunch of self buff and healing skills. A cleric would specialize in normal attacks being stronger from buffs, and armor increase to members of their team. If we ever go into party/team-concentration... I'd definitely play this class. A cleric with a bow weapon would be prettt beast... In my imagination.

I can't think of any distinct classes at the moment.

But you may ask, "some of these ideas sound good, but we're kinda far into character development already. How would this be added?" Well, I was thinking at about level 32, players can choose a class mastery. After then, their skill tree limits to such powers as mentioned before. A respec after all skills are unlocked would make some dangerous players.

Some classes may be stronger than others. But MMORPGs and MMOFPSs nerf certain aspects all the time.

Weapon Mastery - We have weapon categories... Swords, daggers, axes, maces, etc. What if we could get stronger as we keep using them? Imagine how interesting and yet dangerous someone with a high mastery in a weapon category could be. One may have simply made his character have the best items. But his opponent has an insanely high sword mastery. He may deal more damage per cut and put up a surprising fight conclusion.

Life-steal weapons - I guess we can do without this since there are blood packs and a rage meter for a full life steal. But some skills are very taxing on how much blood it needs. A life steal might come in handy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

YuNoEatBeaRs
08-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Although having different classes would be nice, I don't think we're ever gonna see it introduced in this game, simply because more classes means they'll have to worry much more about balance issues, not to mention the actual work on these classes, that would take alot of effort, time and resources and they're already running two another games soon to be three, so personally i don't see this happening.

Carapace
08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Junside, there are some good ideas in here!

Unfortunately we need to take a look at what Dark Legends is when thinking on these ideas. They're quite on the level and we have definitely had similar discussions here at the studio when it came to classes, and toying with skill trees. What it comes down to is what Dark Legends as a game offers is in our suite of games, and what Dark Legends is supposed to be. The answer to that, is comparatively speaking it's a bit more casual and playable in bite sized chunks.

Providing all the players with the same abilities but the option to shuffle and use them as they see fit acts as our middle ground wherein we don't overload players but provide some depth for the players who wish to dive deeper. We also definitely have some elements in the game that are more "hardcore gamer" oriented, but those exist in places that don't effect the overall progression of the player through the game for a majority of the experience.

Will we see classes in the future? Possibly, but not in the cookie cutter mold that exists in games like Diablo and Wow. It's more likely that what would fit Dark Legends would be another supernatural class of some kind and they have their own suite of abilities and likeness. A warring faction like humans or werewolves for example. I'd love to do something like this eventually, but time and resources are a bottleneck since most of the design and implementable development is mostly me at this point.

While I like the idea of weapon proficiency in RPGs and it certainly could apply to Dark Legends, I want to allow players to pick up the weapons that serve them best and look cool on their characters. Limiting this by forcing a player down a weapon path, and then having them pay real coin to respec when they want to shift their mastery to accommodate the new weapon they got I feel doesn't fit the game.

In regards to life stealing, that could actually be very doable now with the idea of Relic's that will be available starting with the level 31 expansion. Relic's will have a built in chance to "proc" or perform special attacks which have secondary effects like stun, knockback, and life steal. I would not be surprised to this and similar ideas in the future.

Good feedback and ideas, but as you can see it's in a bit of a different direction than is intended for Dark Legends :vsmile:

Taikeo
08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Will we see classes in the future? Possibly, but not in the cookie cutter mold that exists in games like Diablo and Wow. It's more likely that what would fit Dark Legends would be another supernatural class of some kind and they have their own suite of abilities and likeness. A warring faction like humans or werewolves for example. I'd love to do something like this eventually, but time and resources are a bottleneck since most of the design and implementable development is mostly me at this point.

Good feedback and ideas, but as you can see it's in a bit of a different direction than is intended for Dark Legends :vsmile:

Werewolves! Very cool! Would definitely love to have a werewolf toon along with my vampires!

As far as classes and the vampires go, I prefer things the way they are. Playstyle can be determined by choice of powers and gems equiped. Overall I like the way the tree is laid out and the passives. It would be nice if the power level limits were a bit more liberal to make it easier to focus down one branch if that were what you prefered, thus allowing a tree that could more clearly define playstyle.. ie.. melee dps, ranged dps, spellcaster, healer etc..

disowninglook
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I never ever ever ever want to see mages or anything of the sort because all mages do is kite. I hate it. Keep it melee only.

FallenOne
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
too much stuff from other games :( and this game would be ruined with so much classes.

Junside
09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
I appreciate some feedback on opinions but would like to know some reasons, because I don't play a ton of MMOs and would not know if these are completely copied ideas from other games. Thanks! :)

Sent from my J.A.R.V.I.S.

FallenOne
09-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I appreciate some feedback on opinions but would like to know some reasons, because I don't play a ton of MMOs and would not know if these are completely copied ideas from other games. Thanks! :)

Sent from my J.A.R.V.I.S.

A fun part of this game is that actually everyone has the same stuff so we don't have to worry about fighting mages or warriors blah blah blah.