PDA

View Full Version : I can haz grenades?

Deathpunch
08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Now that you seem to have the mechanics worked out because the Scorn have them, what are the chances of allowing players to have grenades? I figure they could cause AoE damage centered on your targeted enemy, with various effects.

Regular grenade: Plain old damage and knock back/down. Not very effective versus mechanical enemies, like the droids in Sloucho, damage wise, but could knock them down.

EMP grenades: Effective vs. robots, but not much else. Knock back/down vs. robots.

Stun grenades: Causes no damage, but a chance to stun/root any enemy.

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: Massive damage to all enemies on screen. Perhaps a plat only grenade.

Of course, the idea would need tweaked a bit, especially versus bosses, but I think this would be a good idea. In order to cut down on grenade spam, only allow a max number to be carried, like 5 or so. To use them, I would suggest an icon down where the stims are. Just tap and boom! As for players acquiring some, perhaps a vendor in the lobby, with a possible discount vendor in T3 guild halls.

What's everyone's opinion on this idea?

-----
This post has +5 to topic derailment.

Zaonabiuibil
08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Grenades have been suggested before, and I would LOVE to see them implemented!

Deathpunch
08-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Grenades have been suggested before, and I would LOVE to see them implemented!

I thought they might have, but a quick tapatalk search didn't find any. Imagine that. :D Tapatalk search, you ARE the worst.

-----

Cahaun
08-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Consult the book of armaments!

Exion
08-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Holy handgrenades only work against fluffy little things with razorsharp teeth that go nah nah neh neh neh

Mitchturbo
08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Great idea buddy! Original or Not! who cares! Let's have more EXPLOSIONS!!!

KillaIngs
08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Amazing idea!!!! What about them as drops?

Deathpunch
08-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Consult the book of armaments!

Book of Armaments 2:9-21:

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Amazing idea!!!! What about them as drops?

Yeah... Having firsthand experience with hand grenades, it's generally in your best interest to not drop them. ;) Especially with the pin out. But as far as loot drops, maybe only from bosses, and only one, at that.

-----

Mitchturbo
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
*BOOM*

Got to make this happen Devs!

Zaonabiuibil
08-26-2012, 08:32 PM
We could build on this. Land mines. You hit the shoot button, it plants a mine where you stood. Hit the button again, BOOM! But make sure you're out of the blast radius! ;)

flashbackflip
08-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Cool idea!

Imagine a CTF match!

I would love to blow all the team away the moment they pinned u down and u have like 3% hp left lol

Battlegrinder
08-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Grenades sound cool, but I can't really see what use they would have. We already have AoE damage skills, and most of the other grenade effects also exist as a skill. Commandos in particular have the singularity skill, and from what I've seen, it gets very little use. Finally, Commandos have Cannons, AKA a targetable compact AoE damage weapon. Kinda like a grenade launcher.

Zaonabiuibil
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Grenades sound cool, but I can't really see what use they would have. We already have AoE damage skills, and most of the other grenade effects also exist as a skill. Commandos in particular have the singularity skill, and from what I've seen, it gets very little use. Finally, Commandos have Cannons, AKA a targetable compact AoE damage weapon. Kinda like a grenade launcher.

Not everyone is a commando.

Battlegrinder
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM

No but there's usually one around. But the point I was making was the closest SL has to a grenade would be singularity, and singularity sees very little use. Given how little I see it it used, I'm not sure how much grenades would be used either.

Zaonabiuibil
08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
No but there's usually one around. But the point I was making was the closest SL has to a grenade would be singularity, and singularity sees very little use. Given how little I see it it used, I'm not sure how much grenades would be used either.

Singularity is for one class, grenades would be for all classes. And I'm sure we'd all like a break from the pew-pewing.

iAmPain
08-29-2012, 03:46 PM

I think I can see where battlegrinder is coming from.

Every class has a "grenade" like skills, but it is only specified for its class.

For example, yes the commando has singularity and it pretty much looks like a grenade

Pain for engineer's, a time bomb after casting.

I don't know about operative tho, thus having a grenade is pretty much handy time to time ;)

Wouldn't it be great if we had this function in PvP?!

Battlegrinder
08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Every class has a "grenade" like skills, but it is only specified for its class.

Yes, that's precisely my point.

Zaonabiuibil
08-29-2012, 04:23 PM

For example, yes the commando has singularity and it pretty much looks like a grenade

I don't know about operative tho, thus having a grenade is pretty much handy time to time ;)

Yes, that's precisely my point.

Did we miss my quote? Here is my point.

Singularity is for one class, grenades would be for all classes. And I'm sure we'd all like a break from the pew-pewing.

Worship
08-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I would love to see these in the game :D

Deathpunch
08-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Other than Pain doesn't explode if you kill the target before it expires, so I wouldn't count that at all.

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

iAmPain
08-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Other than Pain doesn't explode if you kill the target before it expires, so I wouldn't count that at all.

The more reason why grenade should be in game :o

Mrbananaz
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
would be so cool if grenades were implemented into game!

KillaSkillz
09-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Grenade launcher would be easier i think, they could make it work on a charge like skills and attack work in DL. Or like a slow refil like some skills do here in SL.

Maybe it could even be a custom add on for a weapon? Grenades are cool idea but i think the annimations may be a bit difficult to add ( although DL has a couple grenade tossers as bosses over there.

Jblazer
09-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Now that you seem to have the mechanics worked out because the Scorn have them, what are the chances of allowing players to have grenades? I figure they could cause AoE damage centered on your targeted enemy, with various effects.

Regular grenade: Plain old damage and knock back/down. Not very effective versus mechanical enemies, like the droids in Sloucho, damage wise, but could knock them down.

EMP grenades: Effective vs. robots, but not much else. Knock back/down vs. robots.

Stun grenades: Causes no damage, but a chance to stun/root any enemy.

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: Massive damage to all enemies on screen. Perhaps a plat only grenade.

Of course, the idea would need tweaked a bit, especially versus bosses, but I think this would be a good idea. In order to cut down on grenade spam, only allow a max number to be carried, like 5 or so. To use them, I would suggest an icon down where the stims are. Just tap and boom! As for players acquiring some, perhaps a vendor in the lobby, with a possible discount vendor in T3 guild halls.

What's everyone's opinion on this idea?

-----

I agree 100% with this:)

Deathpunch
09-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Grenade launcher would be easier i think, they could make it work on a charge like skills and attack work in DL. Or like a slow refil like some skills do here in SL.

Maybe it could even be a custom add on for a weapon? Grenades are cool idea but i think the annimations may be a bit difficult to add ( although DL has a couple grenade tossers as bosses over there.

The animation is already there, check the Scorn.

-----

Deathpunch
09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
What say you, gibber? Please!?

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

Melancholy
09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
A frag isn't effective against mechanicals? I think if you try to make a robot explode it would work.

Deathpunch
09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
A frag isn't effective against mechanicals? I think if you try to make a robot explode it would work.

Frag, aka fragmentation, grenades rely on shrapnel to destroy soft targets. Small splinters of metal, even flying at a decent speed, are not very effective against metal or armored targets. They do not use the actual explosive charge to cause damage, though if close enough the shock wave could kill, it's used to shread the metal casing and fling it out into flesh.

-----

Rawrimafish
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
grenade goes BOOM

Melancholy
09-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Invoking science to pwn my previous statement is a win! I love all my nerd friends. :D U GUYS R AWESOME!!! I knew that metal shards come from the frag but (I have never seen one go off before) I would have thought the pressure would be enough to crumple the robots! I guess not?

Deathpunch
09-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Invoking science to pwn my previous statement is a win! I love all my nerd friends. :D U GUYS R AWESOME!!! I knew that metal shards come from the frag but (I have never seen one go off before) I would have thought the pressure would be enough to crumple the robots! I guess not?

Meh, I suppose the shock wave would be enough if it was standing on it or holding it. It would work but it would be like using a pair of pliers to drive a nail. It may work, but there are better tools designed specifically for that task. ;)

Also, just to establish myself and comments, I have had training with frag grenades and I have used them. :) They are far louder than one would think and I was rather disappointed in the disturbing lack of a giant fireball. Thanks, Hollywood, for ruining it for me.

-----

Battlegrinder
09-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I dunno, I think a frag grenade would mess a robot pretty badly, depending on how close it was. If shrapnel got inside the robot's casing, it could bounce around and cripple delicate mechanical or computer components. The shrapnel could also jam actuators and cripple the robot' mobility. Finally, the shock wave could knock electrical connections loose. of course, this would depend on how sturdy the robot was built, and how much shrapnel actually hits it and has a chance to do damage. Maybe frag grenades would work on robots like stun grenades work on humans.

SkillFullGamer
09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
No you cant haz grenades O.O

Melancholy
09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Damn... We go from CAN I HAZ BOOM BOOMS! All the way to Scientifically speaking the molecular surface of the robot it far too dense to cause mobility damage.

Thanks, Hollywood, for ruining it for me.

Hilarious!

thecrankybearsam
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM
if we haz grenades....we wouldnt need commandos

Szangheili
09-16-2012, 11:06 PM

Lol, agreed. Although it wouldn't hurt to make the Engi's a bit stronger....

Zaonabiuibil
09-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Exactly ;) Lol jk, but Coms are way too OP right now IMO.

BodMaster
09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
As some said, this would lessen the need for a Com. And lol at Zaon saying it should, because Comm are OP? Lmao

With this added, will Comm get Auto-Medipacks, and a shoulder Mini-gun? :D

No but there's usually one around. But the point I was making was the closest SL has to a grenade would be singularity, and singularity sees very little use.

Has the world gone MAD!¡!¡!

If you don't have Singularity in your build you aren't a real com, just a stand alone basically mini-dps user.

Sigularity, from all the content I have played has come the most handy, along with Nueral Stomp. How can you not have this teamed up with Back Breaker? Madness.. the times have definitely changed, not sure if for the better or not.

Zaonabiuibil
09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
As some said, this would lessen the need for a Com. And lol at Zaon saying it should, because Comm are OP? Lmao

No, a 1000+ armoured com with custom having 4 regen, and insane buffs to crit armour and dodge,is not OP.

Lmao

(That was sarcasm.)

BodMaster
09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
No, a 1000+ armoured com with custom having 4 regen, and insane buffs to crit armour and dodge,is not OP.

Lmao

(That was sarcasm.)

Do you think that is not needed for productive aggro control?

Remind me to not pull aggro from you if we ever run in the same maps together :p

Zaonabiuibil
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Do you think that is not needed for productive aggro control?

Remind me to not pull aggro from you if we ever run in the same maps together :p

It's fine, I have learned how to tank, too many coms are cowards, don't need 'em.

BodMaster
09-18-2012, 06:27 PM
It's fine, I have learned how to tank, too many coms are cowards, don't need 'em.

Hope you weren't referring to me in that statement (;

And yes, unfortunately many players do not know how to Tank or Crowd control, but I can ensure you I am not one of them (:

Zaonabiuibil
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Hope you weren't referring to me in that statement (;

And yes, unfortunately many players do not know how to Tank or Crowd control, but I can ensure you I am not one of them (:

Not at all. I haven't seen your abilities, therefore I will not judge you. Yet, you coms have this great power, this insane advantage over enemies, yet you don't use it to help the team. (You is referring to coms in general, not a specific person.) I love the grenade idea, maybe the other classes can finally do the work the coms were meant to, or maybe we don't have grenades and have the coms do their job. Cause STS knows they didn't make an Op like me to tank for a Com.

BodMaster
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Not at all. I haven't seen your abilities, therefore I will not judge you. Yet, you coms have this great power, this insane advantage over enemies, yet you don't use it to help the team. (You is referring to coms in general, not a specific person.) I love the grenade idea, maybe the other classes can finally do the work the coms were meant to, or maybe we don't have grenades and have the coms do their job. Cause STS knows they didn't make an Op like me to tank for a Com.

Ohh like I said, know exactly what you mean. Since the games release I have leveled 3 char, when I am an Op/Engi then I have experienced this first hand, and even tell them out right. Then explain build and how to keep aggro/control the battle. After that they are a little more confident but since it's pug runs like this it should/is to be expected.

Some people pick Comm for the name, or the look. But don't realise they must step up and take control of the instance. And in some/most instances become the leader. (Boils down to inexperience or not that kind of person in real life, so worrying too much)

Was always considerate of my deaths and up until Vol had around 18 deaths, 8-9 before Shipyards (Vol now 90odd lol). Even so was never afraid to go all out if a team member was in trouble, even if it costs a life. That's what we are there for.

When I join a map, especially at Cap level I'd hope that a player knows their class well enough to do their job. (For the team, and not for themselves)

Zaonabiuibil
09-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Ohh like I said, know exactly what you mean. Since the games release I have leveled 3 char, when I am an Op/Engi then I have experienced this first hand, and even tell them out right. Then explain build and how to keep aggro/control the battle. After that they are a little more confident but since it's pug runs like this it should/is to be expected.

Some people pick Comm for the name, or the look. But don't realise they must step up and take control of the instance. And in some/most instances become the leader. (Boils down to inexperience or not that kind of person in real life, so worrying too much)

Was always considerate of my deaths and up until Vol had around 18 deaths, 8-9 before Shipyards (Vol now 90odd lol). Even so was never afraid to go all out if a team member was in trouble, even if it costs a life. That's what we are there for.

When I join a map, especially at Cap level I'd hope that a player knows their class well enough to do their job. (For the team, and not for themselves)

Exactly. If they're worried about their k/d they should play a private game, not in a group where their team needs them.

Battlegrinder
09-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Has the world gone MAD!¡!¡!

If you don't have Singularity in your build you aren't a real com, just a stand alone basically mini-dps user.

Sigularity, from all the content I have played has come the most handy, along with Nueral Stomp. How can you not have this teamed up with Back Breaker? Madness.. the times have definitely changed, not sure if for the better or not.

I've tried using singularity, and while it was useful, I found that my other skills were more effective. I didn't like have singularity scatter my targets all over the room, instead of bunching them up so I could cannon/Nebula them. I didn't like Back Breaker because it never seems to do enough damage to justify using it, is single-target, and doesn't work on most Bosses. Whereas Graviton Slam can hit multiple targets and do respectable damage to all of them, and its slowdown effect works on everything. And despite lacking Singularity and Back Breaker, I am a "real com". I'm always in front and spamming taunt skills, and aggressively hold aggro and tank. My build is mostly designed to draw enemies to me, then force them to stay there while I pound on them. So I use gravity well, stomp and slam, nebula and rage, along with mass, reservoir and vigor so I can survive to hold aggro.