PDA

View Full Version : AoC Contest Event: End the journey!

Aaroniero Arruruerie
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM

The ambassadors of Carvina, are hosting a forum event. This time, we'd like to see how much of an imagination our fellow community members have. This will be done in the form of a contest.

We want to bring out the visionary in you, test your storytelling prowess, prove that you can make a story that can grab readers attention and make them feel something for the characters. If you doubt your own abilities as a writer, this is the perfect opportunity to shine.

Contestants are to write a fitting end with no more than 150 words to the given prompt. There are many outcomes to the story, which should make for a diverse range of endings. The ambassadors will then vote on their favorite story, once the winners have been selected, Their names will be posted in the first post of the thread. You will receive your prizes shortly afterwards.

Ambassadors may write their own stories, but may not vote upon them.
We have sources for plagiarism, so make sure you write from your heart! :)

Only 1 entry per person. You can edit your post up until the closing of the contest.

The contest starts now and ends Thursday 9/6 at 6pm cst.

A word-count tool can me found here
(http://www.wordcounttool.com/)A timezone converter can be found here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html)

1st Place 60 platinum
2nd Place: 45 platinum
3rd Place: 30 platinum

The moon is full tonight... I can see the hordes of werewolves in the distance. I recognize one in particular. Alastor Croft, the wealthy young heir to the Croft family fortune, the same one, whose brother mysteriously disappeared on the day Alastor was struck with a terrible sickness...

Their family's history has been one of tragedy. The first Croft, Lord Fenrir, built the family manor upon an old cultist ritual ground, despite the warnings of occult activity. Since then, the family has witnessed woe upon woe. The young heir's parents had been killed by a thug in Gallows Alley, leaving two young children the estate, and the family fortune. However, A terrible fever struck the younger, Alastor, and it infected his brother, killing the latter in the process. Not much is known of Alastor's condition, but one can hear howling on a full moon in the Croft Manor...

At least, that is what the city of Carvina believes, far above all else, I know what has happened to Alastor... I have seen the symptoms beforehand, I knew how to cure it, and in turn, I commited the unforgivable sin; I sold my humanity. All for Alastor! He! who fell victim to the curse of Fenrir... He who exhibited signs of the curse since I found him in an alley, he, whom I gave my soul for in order to exact my revenge upon his attacker, cursed to walk the path of the nosferatu.... My brother, who is forever cursed to walk in the moonlight, a mindless beast of rage and bloodlust... I swear, I will avenge you. I will erase my name from existence if it would mean freeing you from this curse...

As I rose from the lifeless body of my latest victim, a middle aged businessman by the looks of it, I saw him... Beyond the rage filled eyes, I saw something, sadness? Could it be that inside that layer of fur and hate, Alastor still retained his humanity somehow? I stood to meet his gaze... "Brother! if you still share my ancestors blood, come hither!"

In order to receive your prize, you must enter your in-game name at the bottom of your story.

[Thanks to Mrsberry for a great idea! :)]

Delphina
09-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Good luck everyone!

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I myself may write an end to this story :) hehe, good luck peeps ^_^

XchilangopwnX
09-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Buena Suerte!

WinterKate
09-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Niiiiiiiice cheery. *tosses Cheerios. Lol. :D Good luck everyone!

Battlegrinder
09-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Ha, perfect. Finally all those hours sitting at my desk writing are about to pay off.

disowninglook
09-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I think this is something new! I might write something myself..good luck guys:vD:

Xlilithii
09-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Not good at writing>.< GL ppl:)

soulburzt0387
09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
So are we suppose to continue the story or you want us to make our own?

Shaocalur
09-01-2012, 04:23 PM
No fair Battle wins first by default XD

WinterKate
09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
So are we suppose to continue the story or you want us to make our own?

You are going to end the story. Write an appropriate ending. Anything you like, just end it. :)

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
As I watched Alastor charge towards me, I decided to go for broke, and smacked him on the nose, like I would any dog, granted, this was my brother, but he was still a dog. I must show dominance. The look on his face was priceless. I then told him "sit boy", and he sat. I had to chuckle, because he looked harmless when he was obedient.
Nowadays he is the family pet. I have vampire bride, with two children. The children love their uncle Alastor, and even more so when he plays fetch with them... One night, I asked my brother, "would you still try to break this curse?" "No", he replied. "Sometimes you have to know when to quit. Life is good enough for me, I have no responsibility, everything is taken care of for me, and it seems I am popular around the goth girls these days..."

150 words, something like this peeps :)

Oh, and let me make it clear that ambassadors can write their own stories, but again, we're NOT entering.

disowninglook
09-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Does it have to be EXACTLY 150 words? Can we exceed the limit by say 10 or so words?

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-02-2012, 03:31 PM
150. I wrote that paragraph with 150 words, you can do the same. Shorten words and don't let your sentences run on. Make it straightforward, and you should be fine. There is a word-count tool here (http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

Junside
09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
So... do I just post it here?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Delphina
09-02-2012, 09:03 PM
So... do I just post it here?

Yes... Just post it in this thread.

Junside
09-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Ohhhh Kay... here I go.

As I see him now, it seems our memories are all lost in our demonic forms. We stand before each other, calm but burning eyes. The moon sets the stage for the battle for our lives. As hunger dictates him, he stares at my empty gaze. The confidence of how I could destroy him in many ways...

I say not much... but I do apologize. "My brother, I love you. But now you must die..."

The ground below trembles with his heavy tread. My vision rumbles as I look to see, my brother with passion to relentlessly kill me. Our shadows pass, and for that slight moment we were together again. The full moon applauds us with its silver glow. It applauds for my tears. For my dear Alastor is dead. A trail of blood leads to his lifeless form. Human again, surprisingly, with my blade protruding from his heart...

Forgot to put my name :p

IGN: Erik

disowninglook
09-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I just used that word-count tool....263 words:hopelessness:

Running Pear
09-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Is the word hell allowed? Is that appropriate? I use it one time, and I know some people are offended by it.

disowninglook
09-02-2012, 09:33 PM
It should be appropriate if used in the right context.

Running Pear
09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok, well here's my ending, 150 words. A little jerky but I tried to smooth it out a little. Hope you guys like it! :D

The thin man sat in the chair, slouched. "Sir, tea?" A woman's voice stated.
"Get the hell away from me." The man stood up abruptly, sending the tea cups and coasters flying across the room.
"Get me my coat already, it's time I pay a visit to the asylum."
"He's defiantly loosing his brain." Whispered a lady.

There in a bed lay a old man, "Ahhh! How are you my dear friend?" The old man asked.
"Good as always Mr. Hyde."
"Today, I am a little bit antsy, without my morning cup of tea...." the thin man stammered.
The old man rested his head to stare into the eyes of the thin man. "Sometimes, we humans are blind to what hurts us..."
The thin man flinched, remembering his diseased other half tell him those very words.
"Um, Mr. Hyde, I never caught your first name, sorry."

"Oh, it's just Alastor."

Name in-game: Rafela

disowninglook
09-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I decided to go for the no fight scene approach here.

As he came closer, I held his head between my own hands, and looked into his eyes and saw something I hadn't seen in a werewolf, vampire, zombie, gargoyle, or any other creature for that matter.
My brother.

When I finally came to terms and realized that I hadn't been this close to a werewolf without sinking my incisors into it, I finally spoke,
"Brother, if I were to ever battle by your side, I would drain my entire supply of blood packs for you. I would abuse dark binding for you. I would farm day and night just to get you a vanity that you'd probably tear to shreds after your transformation."
I choked this last part out, for you see, vampires aren't ones to express feelings for a person without intentions of using them as a bendy straw.
"We will find a cure, I care for you Alastor."

IGN: Sepulcher

lostboy813
09-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I rushed him, my fangs pierced his furry skin, but instead of sucking his blood, my venom flowed into him. He dropped as his body began convulsing. My last ditch effort seemed to work, as the venom moved through his system I could see the hair receeding. Moments later he grew still and his eyes opened. The fiery eyes of the beast were gone, replaced with intelligence, and recognition. " Brother, what have you done?" I wasn't sure how to answer him as I examined his new body. Still wolf like, but less bulky, more streamline. Still furry, but not as thick or course. Although his face,still had a lupine cast about it, it was more human looking. As he smiled at me, I saw another change, fangs. My blood mixed with his lycanthropy to create some new supernatural creature, neither werewolf or vampire, but a hybrid of both.

Quebble
09-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Here's my story,it's quite lame though since I did it in 10 minutes and I'm only 13 -.-

I decided to go for the non offensive approach."Alastor,I'm......"Before my words could trail off,he leapt out at me,his claws threatening to rip me into pieces.Momentarily stunned,I dodged,but his claws managed to do a scratch to me.Knowing that he had gone insane,I tried to calm him down,but to no avail."Alastor,you don't have to do this...." but that only made him more ferocious.Blood was oozing out out of my wound,and I could not hold out for much longer.Using the last ounce of my strength,I charged at him.One moment it was a howl of dread,the next was a soft whimper as Alastor fell onto the ground while the crimson blood filled the street."I have cured you Alastor....."I walked away,full of regret.

That's it,tell me if I made a grammatical error or spelling error because I wrote on a piece of paper and transferred it to my iPad.
- Quebble

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Don't worry about grammatical errors. As long as your main idea is there, and fitted into those specified word count, you'll be fine.

FallenOne
09-03-2012, 07:02 AM
As Alastor walked towards me, I saw the distinct glint in his eyes. Although he turned into a werewolf, he still had a portion of his humanity and I just couldn’t bring my own hands up to kill my own brother. There, he sat down quietly in front of me as I patted his head like I would to any pet. I decided that even if the antidote was a relic level drop, I would devote myself and spend all my gold, blood packs, and time just to get it for him before he goes berserk. I knew that this was my last chance.

In the meantime, he would just have to cope with being a werewolf. After all, I thought, werewolves and vampires aren't so different at all. We both spend large parts of their time doing the three “Fs”. Feeding, fighting, and “reproduction”.

Sorry for the ending :P my girlfriend's idea. If it is too inappropriate I would gladly change it. Just tell me.
IGN: Fallenshadows

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
The forums should be treated as 13+. So you can be suggestive to an extent :)

lostboy813
09-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Quebble I thought your ending was great. You keep it up and you'll be a awesome writer one day. You know you can go back and edit your grammer mistakes?

disowninglook
09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Here's my story,it's quite lame though since I did it in 10 minutes and I'm only 13 -.-

I decided to go for the non offensive approach."Alastor,I'm......"Before my words could trail off,he leapt out at me,his claws threatening to rip me into pieces.Momentarily stunned,I dodged,but his claws managed to do a scratch to me.Knowing that he had gone insane,I tried to calm him down,but to no avail."Alastor,you don't have to do this...." but that only made him more ferocious.Blood was oozing out out of my wound,and I could not hold out for much longer.Using the last ounce of my strength,I charged at him.One moment it was a howl of dread,the next was a soft whimper as Alastor fell onto the ground while the crimson blood filled the street."I have cured you Alastor....."I walked away,full of regret.

That's it,tell me if I made a grammatical error or spelling error because I wrote on a piece of paper and transferred it to my iPad.

Your last quote was the highlight:vD:

disowninglook
09-03-2012, 11:46 AM
The forums should be treated as 13+. So you can be suggestive to an extent :)

Yep, I guess suggestive sells these days. I mean, look at Disney.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-03-2012, 12:19 PM
That earned a laugh, but let's keep things relevant to the topic. No one ever thought about Alastor's ancestor? He "mysteriously disappeared"!

lifelezs
09-03-2012, 01:06 PM
As he gives me recognition i am gladdened. The he runs at me sprinting as fast as he could and i realized things are about to turn for the worst. He was too fast for me to dodge and his sharp teeth grazes my leg, at that moment i realized what must be done. I took the offensive and went at him will all my strength, and as the night sky illuminates as the sun starts to rise i leave his bloody corpse and return to my lair, in regret to the deed i have done on this horrendous night that has passed.*

Ign: Lifelezs

Quebble
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Quebble I thought your ending was great. You keep it up and you'll be a awesome writer one day. You know you can go back and edit your grammer mistakes?

Hey thanks! :D

Zaonabiuibil
09-04-2012, 04:15 PM
We stare at each other, the monster the other has become, and at that moment I knew one of us was to die. I grabbed my sword, and it made a metal on bone sound as I pull it out of my scabbard. I was prepared to drive it into the throat of Alastor, but then, I hesitated. Would I truly impale that of my own blood? Sadly, he did not think the same as I, and lunged forward with a vicious snarl. In self defense I swung the blade, and it came in contact with his head, decapitating him. I grabbed the head, and to this day it hangs over my mantle, a trophy I did not wish to acquire, yet shall hang proudly, as a momento of our brotherhood.

IGN Pyromaniac

(Just checked, 131 words)

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Dang, you guys really wanted that wolf dead :)

Zaonabiuibil
09-04-2012, 05:19 PM

He looked at me funny :o

disowninglook
09-04-2012, 06:12 PM

I chose to spare the mut:vwink:

Delphina
09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Only 2 more days!

disowninglook
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Are we allowed to post two if we wrote another and ask for critiques?

FallenOne
09-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Are we allowed to post two if we wrote another and ask for critiques?

edit your first one

Battlegrinder
09-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Its as if we'd spent a huge amount of time running around killing werewolves.

Battlegrinder
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
He turned away, running farther into the night. Somehow, I’d known he would. My heart sank as I realized I’d be forced to turn to my backup plan.

The hunters had been turning wolves against my kind for month now. They had more knowledge, ways of controlling those cursed by lycanthropy. I felt the weight the notebook in my pocket. Names, dates, meeting locations, everything I could find that would help them in their war. Perhaps enough to let the hunters turn the tide. Perhaps enough that they would be willing to help me try and cure my brother.

I turned away, only to be confronted by three silhouettes. Some of my new kin, trying to stop me. I raised my blade and charged, roaring out a challenge as I came. I’d sacrificed so much for him. What were three more bodies, compared to what I’d already done?

Blades Clashed.

Battlegrinder is my ign.

And by the way, the word count tool considers contractions to be two words instead of one (and technically speaking, contractions are properly one word. Thank you English 101). So my story registers as 154 word, but its actually 150 exactly.

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Only a few hours left folks, great entries so far! let's get ready to wrap things up!

Battlegrinder
09-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Only a few hours left folks, great entries so far! let's get ready to wrap things up!

Is my ending ok, given the word count glitch?

Junside
09-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Good luck to everyone! I've read some awesome stories.

Anyanka
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Exactly 150 words:

Alastor growled and showed me his sharp and deadly teeth, the sadness in his gaze now replaced entirely by his beastly bloodlust. I drew my axes and prepared for his attack. He jumped towards me, but I managed to evade the grip of his teeth. As I was about to bring my axes down to his exposed neck with all my mighty force, I froze. I couldn’t. This is my brother.

Alastor took advantage of my hesitation and jumped me, throwing me on the ground. Trapped under his claws, I waited for my inevitable demise. But as bloody tears flowed from my eyes, Alastor stopped growling. In his eyes I could once more see my brother. He could not harm me either. His form slowly started to change, becoming human again. Our brotherly love was enough to cure his curse. We embraced tightly, our eyes overflowing with tears of joy.

IGN: Axania

YuNoEatBeaRs
09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
It was two years ago that i died, killed by the hands i once held so dear, but it wasn't my brother, i saw it in his eyes, it was the beast that drove him insane, he was trapped and locked in, beaten down by it.

As his claws ripped through me it wasn't the pain that i felt, it was helplessness, and it tore deep down inside
me far deeper than his claws could reach.

Lying back there, my vision was failing me, but i had a glimpse at a man? a beast?, he came to me with an offer, my soul for.. My salvation.

Irony of fate, at the same place i shall die once again, as his claws pierced through my chest i had my sword plunged into his heart, turning back into a human i held his head, "Live!", and sank my fangs into his neck.

~Sciv

Aaroniero Arruruerie
09-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Exactly 150 words:

Alastor growled and showed me his sharp and deadly teeth, the sadness in his gaze now replaced entirely by his beastly bloodlust. I drew my axes and prepared for his attack. He jumped towards me, but I managed to evade the grip of his teeth. As I was about to bring my axes down to his exposed neck with all my mighty force, I froze. I couldn’t. This is my brother.

Alastor took advantage of my hesitation and jumped me, throwing me on the ground. Trapped under his claws, I waited for my inevitable demise. But as bloody tears flowed from my eyes, Alastor stopped growling. In his eyes I could once more see my brother. He could not harm me either. His form slowly started to change, becoming human again. Our brotherly love was enough to cure his curse. We embraced tightly, our eyes overflowing with tears of joy.

IGN: Axania

Word count tool says 151...

No worries, we can reword it :)

Anyanka
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Word count tool says 151...

No worries, we can reword it :)

Microsoft word says 150...

Zaonabiuibil
09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Microsoft word says 150...

Arguing won't help, it can't be too horrible to remove/combine words, can it?

disowninglook
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Good luck everyone! I'm excited!!!

Zaonabiuibil
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Good luck everyone! I'm excited!!!

Same, haven't written in forever, nice to brush the dust off.

Anyanka
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Arguing won't help, it can't be too horrible to remove/combine words, can it?

I'm not arguing if u read above I'm not the only one with this small counting issue.
It seems this word counter says that ''can't'' is two words instead of one.
there is no problem anyway as Aaroniero said.

lostboy813
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Goog luck to everyone that entered.

Delphina
09-06-2012, 06:09 PM
This contest has ended. We will start the voting soon!