PDA

View Full Version : Method to sell iTune items for less then $0.99

Splurd
04-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Frankly, 0.99 is a stupid number. We all know its $1. 1c is not going to change alot. Silly marketing ploys. Anyway moving on.

Right now I believe the minimum price for any iTunes purchases is $0.99. So alot of the items being sold are relative to that pricing. For example, a lvl 5 item pack costs 0.99. A respec costs 0.99. Your mom cost.. lol

Yeah, so I dont think its feasablie for some situations. For example, a lvl 5 item back for $1 is not really a worthwhile purcase. But you cant make it any cheaper...

What I am proposing is to have a form of in game currenct. Like, we can call it "Legend Points" for example, Whatever floats your boat.

The idea is, $0.99 = 1000 Legend points.
Then a respec could be 1000 legend points, dungeons could be 2000 legend points, and store equipment can be like 200 legend points for a lvl 5 item pack etc.

This provides greater flexibility in setting prices for items. So you can lower prices of items to get more people interested in buying them.

There are also some sneaky marketing tatics to play with, like making a respec cost 1250 Legend points. Then people have to spend $2 on a respec. But they have 750 Legend points left over, so they can spend it on equipment, or simply just keep it till latter.

setec
04-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Isn't this the same as paying real $ for in game gold and then using the gold to buy re-specs?

Shebee
04-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Its true, but as you said there are other problems as well, eventually you end up being 50 off anf you need to spend 1$ on something you only need .2$ for example.
Ultimately its just as problematic as the current system.
Id rather like to see respecs etc for ingame money, in exchange for other price increases like character slots or something.

_ck
04-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Isn't this the same as paying real $ for in game gold and then using the gold to buy re-specs?

Not quite I would say. Gold you can acquire freely through playing, it brings no revenue to Spacetime (except when someone buys a 5000 gold pack through iTunes). These points Splurd is talking about is like buying credits or a gift card with real money that can only be used to buy things you now can do from the iTunes store part of the game. You could only get these points by buying them with real money (not through playing the game like with gold), but instead of being stuck in a $0.99 minimum price level which is the lowest you can charge on iTunes, converting $2 into 2000 points means Spacetime could charge 200 points ($0.20) for an item, or 500 points ($0.50).

I think it's a good idea, actually. Normally I've been against ideas on how to make the game cheaper because I do think Spacetime deserves to be making money off of this great game.. But $0.99 for one weapon that I would most likely replace after leveling up a few times is definitely out of my price range, as I believe for many others as well.

Splurd
04-21-2010, 11:53 AM

You cant buy re-specs with gold. Not now at least.

re-spec is a iTunes item, it will and should only ever be bought with money, in my opinion at least.
If re-spec is EVER made to be purchasable by gold, it has to be an exorbitant amount like 100,000 gold. This is because aside from dungeon backs, I think re-specs are the devs team greatest source of income at the moment. To make it purchasable by items earned by gameplay, diminishes their income.

Splurd
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Its true, but as you said there are other problems as well, eventually you end up being 50 off anf you need to spend 1$ on something you only need .2$ for example.
Ultimately its just as problematic as the current system.
Id rather like to see respecs etc for ingame money, in exchange for other price increases like character slots or something.

balance will be an issue of course. But the idea is mainly to make less worthwhile items cheaper, so they are more affordable and worth buying.

Aegis
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
You know this is the platinum system right?

Astrauk
04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Really that's what the platinum store is?

_ck
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM

I haven't read any announcements or explanations that this is what it is, I've only read cryptic comments saying we'll know once the update comes out.. Where'd you find this out?

setec
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
You cant buy re-specs with gold. Not now at least.

re-spec is a iTunes item, it will and should only ever be bought with money, in my opinion at least.
If re-spec is EVER made to be purchasable by gold, it has to be an exorbitant amount like 100,000 gold. This is because aside from dungeon backs, I think re-specs are the devs team greatest source of income at the moment. To make it purchasable by items earned by gameplay, diminishes their income.

OMG, I know that. :) There have been a zillion discussions on requesting the re-spec to be gold. So, if the re-spec cost gold, this would be the same thing. :) I guess I should have been more clear when I wrote that but it was early in the morning. :)

And if you made the re-spec cost something like 50,000 gold or 100,000 gold then I think people would pay real $ to buy gold to re-spec rather than try to farm that much, thus still giving money to the Devs.

Splurd
04-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Speculations.

If it is, I am glad. And this thread can go get buried. If its not. then I can raise the issue again.

So far I have not seen them say clearly about the platinum system and what it is about

Splurd
04-22-2010, 02:20 AM
OMG, I know that. :) There have been a zillion discussions on requesting the re-spec to be gold. So, if the re-spec cost gold, this would be the same thing. :) I guess I should have been more clear when I wrote that but it was early in the morning. :)

And if you made the re-spec cost something like 50,000 gold or 100,000 gold then I think people would pay real $ to buy gold to re-spec rather than try to farm that much, thus still giving money to the Devs.

No... My idea is different.
My idea is not limited to re-specs. I just mention them because alot of people buy them. But I want this idea to help facilitate the idea of buying items like $$ weapons and $$ armour from the store, without paying an overpriced amount of 0.99.

Jtpup74799
03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow this thread is old