PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on Elixirs

Superduper
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I understand xp elixs...I like to level up fast too. Yes I'm guilty of thrashing every now and then. When I started PL, there was no such thing. All a player had to rely on was ability and gear. Nowadays it's all about the elixirs. This has got to stop. I know that STS didn't intend for this to take over. They are making a killing because off the elixir addiction, but I believe that STS and PL as a whole, have gotten away from what they set out to do. The game no longer requires skill, all it takes is a credit card. I was just in shadow caves and a L71 bird with Walker set and thrasher elixir walked in a room by himself, and got dropped immediately. I went into the same room (L71 bear,angel str set and founders helm) and cleared it myself and maybe used 5 health pots total. That is sad. Elixirs<skill, is the way is should be. Bring back the good ol' days!

KingFu
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I knew I'd agree with the post just by reading the title. Also, people complain about drop rates and item prices so much, when elixirs are the main reason behind it.

TEOKILLO
09-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Will never happen cuz then sts profit go down

LADYHADASSA
09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree i remember no elixers i remember having gold elixers to grind to 51 and that was fast exp. i too use the thrashers, but i often choose not too as well, just for the challange of the game. I have seen in this new elite map, potted peeps gathering all the mob and killing players because they can while down talking the non elixered players. I do love the mute feature and use it often lol.. But this type of game play destroys game fun. I too miss the original style of pl, when players worked as teams, when bears tanked, pallys did suiside missions to save the team. The laughter that would occure after 2-4 team deaths as we learned about a new boss. I remember the first time is saw gurgox and the overloard.... First thought what the heck is that as my charecter died in a sudden electric charge.

The first elite map was destroyed by elixers, no one wanted a non potted team to figure out how to kill that boss without elixers, well the first couple maps diebomber was doing a great job at knowing how to run without elixer. Bottom line instant gratification has been the result of elixers. Anyone play WOW? Have you seen those bosses and how much team work is needed and time to kill them? I use this ref for those that do not rememebr or know what it was like to run the lvl 50 maps without pots.

I do like elixers, just wow at the way it has made the game play in pl. the challange behind a game is to enjoy the process not rush so

KingFu
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Will never happen cuz then sts profit go down

I think their product should be more important than their revenue, just my opinion though. Some companies operate differently than others.

Superduper
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I think their product should be more important than their revenue, just my opinion though. Some companies operate differently than others.

Amen

Superduper
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
@Lady I too remember the first time I faced Gurgox and Overlord. And the 100th time trying to find efficient ways to kill them. The game was much more fun. Yes we had runs down to a science, but it required strategy, skill, how to tank, how to be an enchantress, how to dex. Now it's just run run run with our elixs.

Yich
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I thrash on double exp weekends to get higher level characters quickly. After im leveled, I go to PvP, never to be seen again in PvE. I do not disrupt anyone because I host my own games and have another help me level. Why should I, a PvPer, have my easy access to higher level toons cut off? I dont bother anyone and I help keep STS in business, problem?

MightyMicah
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I thrash on double exp weekends to get higher level characters quickly. After im leveled, I go to PvP, never to be seen again in PvE. I do not disrupt anyone because I host my own games and have another help me level. Why should I, a PvPer, have my easy access to higher level toons cut off? I dont bother anyone and I help keep STS in business, problem?

Yes problem. Work for it. Don't pay for it. Your access to high level toons can be easily granted through a dose of work. I never thrash and I've made dozens of pvp characters in the past.

Yich
09-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes problem. Work for it. Don't pay for it. Your access to high level toons can be easily granted through a dose of work. I never thrash and I've made dozens of pvp characters in the past.

"work for it"? Keeping in mind PL is a game, Id like to enjoy getting higher leveled toons. Maybe you guys enjoy killing mobs and bosses, but thats not my thing. So I pay a little money to get around the minor detail of PvE, what's it to you? For my 71 I didnt even go to humania, which may aggrevate some but that means I wasnt booting people for "thrasher only". No ones forcing thrashers down anyones throats so I dont see the problem involved in finding a decent party in a town and going to a map for runs. So maybe others dont want to do pve, just keep in mind the people that made this possible are the same ones who made everything else in PL.

Cruis
09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I understand xp elixs...I like to level up fast too. Yes I'm guilty of thrashing every now and then. When I started PL, there was no such thing. All a player had to rely on was ability and gear. Nowadays it's all about the elixirs. This has got to stop. I know that STS didn't intend for this to take over. They are making a killing because off the elixir addiction, but I believe that STS and PL as a whole, have gotten away from what they set out to do. The game no longer requires skill, all it takes is a credit card. I was just in shadow caves and a L71 bird with Walker set and thrasher elixir walked in a room by himself, and got dropped immediately. I went into the same room (L71 bear,angel str set and founders helm) and cleared it myself and maybe used 5 health pots total. That is sad. Elixirs<skill, is the way is should be. Bring back the good ol' days!

Now, I haven't played PL for only a year or so, but I know what you're talking about.
My step-dad playes this... He sucks :P... But he's got a credit card, so he can get plat.
Even though I don't have elixirs, but I have the skill and the time logged in to PL, he can still best me in PvE.

Walkhardd
09-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I only pvp, and don't have time to grind. I don't see the big deal. You don't have use them.

YYZ????
09-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Instant Gratification usually = long term dissatisfaction.

I will celebrate my 2-year PL anniversary in 5 days. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed this game in many ways. It was my first MMO and I still find ways to enjoy the game.

I have always been a PUG player. So I also have another perspective about elixirs.

Besides the lack of skill you all comment about, it also brings about a much less open game.

I understand the reason for thrashing, and I understand why thrashers boot. Because I do not use, it has become hard to join many games. During the double XP weekend, I would guess I got booted from 30 games. I am now to a point where if I see there is more than 1 thrasher in a party I just bolt to save them the trouble.

This to me, degrades the product. If there are no openings for a player to join at the end game maps, is it truly multi-player?

ZHEOTARE
09-13-2012, 04:34 AM
I am now to a point where if I see there is more than 1 thrasher in a party I just bolt to save them the trouble.

Self booting is funny, but kinda sad too. If you see me hosting a game, don't leave. I don't boot non elixered people. As long as the person contributes, then no problem. If the game is full, i will send a pm saying so. If the person decides not to leave I'll boot then. Other boot reasons... Selling/buying during runs, spamming, or being annoying.

As an elixer user, I'd actually have no problem with elixers going away.

Cobraguy
09-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Self booting is funny, but kinda sad too. If you see me hosting a game, don't leave. I don't boot non elixered people. As long as the person contributes, then no problem. If the game is full, i will send a pm saying so. If the person decides not to leave I'll boot then. Other boot reasons... Selling/buying during runs, spamming, or being annoying.

As an elixer user, I'd actually have no problem with elixers going away.

I consider Zheo a good friend of mine and I will definitely say I've done my fair share of leeching his pots. :)
This is not intentional leeching but just his good nature of not minding if non elixired players join is games. Most of the time I leave after a short while because I feel bad for thinking Im taking advantage of a friend. Thanks for all the runs by the way Zheo. :)

Shellkaz
09-13-2012, 07:35 AM
@xyz, I also don't boot from my runs, I'm usually on 2x, but like Zheo said I'll boot for not contributing or trying to buy/sell/trade during a run. Only time I'm in a thrash only run is if someone else is hosting. And that's because I don't boot. I play the game because I enjoy it. If I wanted only a select group of players, I can always use a password. Feel free to add LyrrLynn.

HunterSLAYER
09-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I got booted so many times that i almost smashed my Tablet due to frustration.

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Rusalio
09-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Got to say yay!!!for mystical, can always expect him to chime up? Have to agree with the elixir statement all around. Topic instantantly attracted me. Dont mind it either way, however am tired of seeing level 60 plus bears and mages that can't run skilled...uggggg such a waist for the team. Now thats worth booting and i dont generally boot! Perhaps elixers after a certain level.... Miss the good ol days as lady and others have mentioned.

Yich
09-13-2012, 09:42 AM
All I can say to the whiners is host your own games. Add people that join. Rmk. Not that hard.

Chung Es Mi Heroe
09-13-2012, 12:09 PM
All I can say to the whiners is host your own games. Add people that join. Rmk. Not that hard.

yeah..wut he said^^

Rare
09-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I know that STS didn't intend for this to take over.

Yes the did... because

They are making a killing because off the elixir addiction

but I believe that STS and PL as a whole, have gotten away from what they set out to do.

Unfortunately, I'm almost 100% positive, their mission was to make money. It will never go back. Just like our phone data plans and the price of gasoline.

Best we can do is keep skill alive.

trunzoc
09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
To me, the funny part is Techno Email...

Techno Email is trying SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to get strategy involved in the game. Making a boss that you need a mega-combo to even hope to kill. Making weapons that can harm your own team or help the enemy, whether in PvE or PvP and insisting that you need to learn how to use them instead of folding to the pubic opinion and changing them.

And then at the same time, Thrashers completely negate ever effort she is putting into making that happen.

I can't wait until she gets so fed up by her efforts going to waste that she starts making content where you need to actually use strategy AND have a thrasher for any chance of success. That'll be the day I hand out my gear to guildies and say good bye.

lUp3
09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I see no hope for this to change. One thing I think which could make help PvE and also not hamper the leveling up process for PvPers would be to disable kills when on elixirs. Could be a solution that works for all parties and also put an end to the kill boosting/solo runs that people do.

@Yich It would not be right to term the people above as 'whiners'. Some of us liked PvE how it used to be and when it was about skill. If something like this were to happen to PvP, I hope it doesnt though, I'd like to read your posts then :D.

xcainnblecterx
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not a constant thrasher either mostly to get to cap, but I know the other day running in fang not one person on elix and I havent seen so many Mega combos in a run then I did there. I also had a l35 black cat shield (getting festive haha) and did fine with that team. I loved the skill that showed there, we as a team were dominating as if we all had a thrasher.If you have a good team you don't need a thrasher and if your leveling use a xp elix as the speed elix is already glitched and keep with that team. I hate seeing people booting just cause they don't have a thrasher, as long there being bad players in general is only reason I boot

Walkhardd
09-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I see no hope for this to change. One thing I think which could make help PvE and also not hamper the leveling up process for PvPers would be to disable kills when on elixirs. Could be a solution that works for all parties and also put an end to the kill boosting/solo runs that people do.

@Yich It would not be right to term the people above as 'whiners'. Some of us liked PvE how it used to be and when it was about skill. If something like this were to happen to PvP, I hope it doesnt though, I'd like to read your posts then :D.

I just don't get why ppl care how someone wants to play. Elixers make the game too easy for you? Don't use them. Seems simple enough.

ArtofWar
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
the only reason why elixir's are there is because sts wants to make profit :P

Drizzid
09-13-2012, 12:59 PM
You play how you want, and I'll play how I want. I dont have hours upon hours of free time like a lot of people, and Ive got disposable income I can spend how I please.

If you don't like people thrashing, then leave the game. This game is not hard, even w/o thrasher, it just allows you to get more done in a short period of time. Stop whining.

Frealaf
09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Not been playing the game long but already stopped playing because after reading the forums (always read community forums to see if a game is well supported etc.) its quite clear Elixar usage takes over at end game. I don't mind paying for things but when you are forced to pay for stuff because the community insists on it, you know the game isn't worth continuing with.

Snakespeare
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Up through Alien Oasis, elixirs are not needed. But even in AO3, tbh, we used the gold elixirs on some bosses: usually Tankers Ale. Sewers has archers that are way overpowered. AO3 had them, as yellow aliens, but those were nerfed. You can solo anything up to AO3, except some bosses. After AO3, you can not solo anything, unless you have Thrashers.

Everyone wants the pinks. The pinks do not drop. Bigger Luck doesn't help. You have to use a Thrasher.

They used to give us the first few maps and then we had to pay for the rest of them. Now they just make them progressively more difficult. In the end, it's the same. To play higher levels, we have to pay, one way or the other. I don't like elixirs either, but it's a choice: elixirs or stop at L50.

That's their marketing strategy. If there is another strategy that will earn enough to pay the devs a living wage, let's hear it. We do all think they have earned their pay, right?

Ephesius
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Elixiers are good use them to level up. Or u can take long boring way and lvl without it

lUp3
09-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I just don't get why ppl care how someone wants to play. Elixers make the game too easy for you? Don't use them. Seems simple enough.

Well I never said anything about removing elix there did I. If you do go through the post maybe you'd understand that. Like I did not understand the outrage about Forgotten weps, I guess PvPers would not understand whats happened to PvE.

Rare
09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
the only reason why elixir's are there is because sts wants to make profit :P

Maybe just my interpretation, but it sounds like you think there's something wrong with that.

Rare
09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
its quite clear Elixar usage takes over at end game.

You must have misunderstood. In no campaign (after reaching endgame) did I spam elixirs. And I haven't had any problems playing.

ZHEOTARE
09-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Some people want elixers gone like some want forgotten weapons nerfed...

Guess it goes to show that we only care about what effects us most.

Kraze
09-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I get the need for elix as a revenue stream. I also understand the prospect of 100k xp is more than a little daunting. However the game in general may be better served by retaining xp and luck and remove all others. This allowing for faster gains but not removing the quality of play and skill that should be needed at endgame.

Just my two plat

Frealaf
09-13-2012, 03:16 PM
You must have misunderstood. In no campaign (after reaching endgame) did I spam elixirs. And I haven't had any problems playing.

So maybe I have misread the posts on here and the chat ingame about people who get kicked from groups if they don't use Thrashers

Rare
09-13-2012, 03:19 PM
So maybe I have misread the posts on here and the chat ingame about people who get kicked from groups if they don't use Thrashers

I get kicked from games when ON elixir too. You can easily find another game that is not all thrasher. Sometimes it can get annoying when you try 4 games and get kicked from them all.

Honestely, that usually happens before end game, when people are leveling. Much less common when it truly is endgame and the campaign is mature.

Fusionstrike
09-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Up through Alien Oasis, elixirs are not needed. But even in AO3, tbh, we used the gold elixirs on some bosses: usually Tankers Ale. Sewers has archers that are way overpowered. AO3 had them, as yellow aliens, but those were nerfed. You can solo anything up to AO3, except some bosses. After AO3, you can not solo anything, unless you have Thrashers.

For what it's worth, I've found all the campaigns to be playable without elixirs, although some are harder and thus require better groups to be successful without elixir boosts. But I've had pretty good luck in PUGs without elixirs in all the campaigns. You're right about not being able to solo well without them, but I think that's to be expected. The game is designed to be played by teams of 5, so of course trying to do it alone is hard and would require serious boots. I don't see that as a problem. In fact, I'd be surprised if it weren't the case.

Superduper
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't understand the devs changing my thread title. It's not offensive is it?

Superduper
09-13-2012, 08:37 PM
You play how you want, and I'll play how I want. I dont have hours upon hours of free time like a lot of people, and Ive got disposable income I can spend how I please.

If you don't like people thrashing, then leave the game. This game is not hard, even w/o thrasher, it just allows you to get more done in a short period of time. Stop whining.
Oh really? Make a level 50 account bear, solo overlord without pots, then we will talk about the difficult of the game. You say the game isn't hard, how long has it been since you haven't used a thrasher constantly?

Ogbuehi
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM

I agree with this 100%. I have a full time job. I've got the money, so I'll use it to try and keep up with those who can sit and play this all day and night. Plus beyond alien oasis, you can't solo the stages without steroids. Why solo? Because it is too hard to get a team to help me farm or finish quests. Or they refuse to listen when I tell them to grab the orbs when Gurgox starts growling and they grab them all right away. So I'll just thrasher and beat him with or without their help. The plus about being a bear is I can't revive them even if I actually wanted to. Right now I may even be wasting elixirs trying to get ichors if they end this quest too quickly. But I can't even keep up with the guys who already have all the ichors.

Drizzid
09-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh really? Make a level 50 account bear, solo overlord without pots, then we will talk about the difficult of the game. You say the game isn't hard, how long has it been since you haven't used a thrasher constantly?

Why would i solo overlord without pots on a bear? Thats just foolish.

My 71 bird drizzid with 40k kills and 250 deaths only started using elixers at the 66 grind. I have a 68 bear and a 56 mage that has never used an elixer. I don't have to prove to myself that I can play without elixers because I have done so for a long time. I use them now because I like getting the most out of my time and can afford to do so.

Sure you can make the game harder by putting stupid limitations on yourself, but if im going to play a challengin game, it probably wont be on my iphone.

Yich
09-17-2012, 12:57 AM

I can pull up some of my quotes from forgotten bow threads if you wanna see some hardcore whining.

And the only reason I want these elixirs to stick around is because all the PvEers on forums kept the forgotten bows from being nerfed. I'd love to see your fun ruined the same way mine was. Technoemail is trying to bring more strategy into the game? Pfffft, go to low level pvp and they the same thing again without LOLing...

MightyMicah
09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
@Yich, How selfish can you be? You want elixirs around for no other reason than to spite the so called PvE players who ruined pvp? You do realize that that's ridiculous even it was the PvE players who caused the bows to stay un-nerfed. The reason the bows stayed is because PvP players now had a cheap weapon across the board that gave them a good shot at kills. According to some warped reasoning, this gives newer players an easier time in pvp. PvE had almost nothing to do with it.

Anyways, the point of this thread is elixirs. IUp3 made an incredible point. What if they implement elixirs in pvp? Are we supposed to lock our games and invite people we know aren't potted up? I hate elixirs personally, but if they're in PvE I see no reason not to implement them in pvp. After all, what's the difference?

The difference is that enough people will rage quit and it won't profit StS. Everything comes down to money. That's why Elixirs won't be removed and that's why we should not fear elixirs coming to pvp.

Riccits
09-18-2012, 03:37 AM
LOL@elixiers in pvp.

wvhills
09-18-2012, 07:41 AM
where were all you guys a year ago when I was making rage threads about elixirs? You were probably busy buying elixirs. If you had joined up with the few of us complaining (me and gluttony and stomp mostly) maybe it wouldn't have come to this but it's too late now. Elixirs are here to stay.

StompArtist
09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
where were all you guys a year ago when I was making rage threads about elixirs? You were probably busy buying elixirs. If you had joined up with the few of us complaining (me and gluttony mostly) maybe it wouldn't have come to this but it's too late now. Elixirs are here to stay.

I demand credit for rage complaining about elixirs!

wvhills
09-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I demand credit for rage complaining about elixirs!

sorry, edited. :)

Rare
09-18-2012, 08:40 AM

I think you are misunderstanding what Drizzid is saying.

Xionskull
09-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Ya profit WILL go way down. I'd prefer to not have them. It ruins gameplay.

X

Riccits
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
where were all you guys a year ago when I was making rage threads about elixirs? You were probably busy buying elixirs. If you had joined up with the few of us complaining (me and gluttony and stomp mostly) maybe it wouldn't have come to this but it's too late now. Elixirs are here to stay.

i really didnt immagine it would go that far...

Yich
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
@Yich, How selfish can you be? You want elixirs around for no other reason than to spite the so called PvE players who ruined pvp? You do realize that that's ridiculous even it was the PvE players who caused the bows to stay un-nerfed. The reason the bows stayed is because PvP players now had a cheap weapon across the board that gave them a good shot at kills. According to some warped reasoning, this gives newer players an easier time in pvp. PvE had almost nothing to do with it.

Anyways, the point of this thread is elixirs. IUp3 made an incredible point. What if they implement elixirs in pvp? Are we supposed to lock our games and invite people we know aren't potted up? I hate elixirs personally, but if they're in PvE I see no reason not to implement them in pvp. After all, what's the difference?

The difference is that enough people will rage quit and it won't profit StS. Everything comes down to money. That's why Elixirs won't be removed and that's why we should not fear elixirs coming to pvp.

I dont see the reason new players should get a next to free top tier weapon. Notice the difference in stats between artisan/expert and dark forest leathers. They arent THAT great, and the fact that its next to impossible to farm recipes at low level makes up for the difference. STS had the right idea there, now look at the difference between forgotten weapons and ANY other low level weapon. Its tremendous. Why do new players deserve a top tier weapon upon entry of PL?
The majority of people that wanted it to be kept around are A) PvEers who want an OP weapon for farming, B) new players who dont want to lose their newfound power or C) Endgamers, the few this weapon does not affect in their main PvP level of expertise, who want a next to free weapon allowing them to PvP at many other levels for practically nothing. They care nothing for the delicate balance that was before, so I care nothing for their wasted time grinding while I get 71 in a few hours.

trunzoc
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure how any of this is a valid point at all.

It was a limited-time dungeon. The forgotten items do not drop anymore. What percentage of the PL population do you think qualifies as a new player in the 1 week interval when the dungeon was open and the weapons were dropping?

What percentage of the population do you think started since then and has enough gold to buy a low-lvl Forgotten bow?

Drizzid
09-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Right. Because you were so close to tearing down the machine :eagerness:

Hahaha

Yich
09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure how any of this is a valid point at all.

It was a limited-time dungeon. The forgotten items do not drop anymore. What percentage of the PL population do you think qualifies as a new player in the 1 week interval when the dungeon was open and the weapons were dropping?

What percentage of the population do you think started since then and has enough gold to buy a low-lvl Forgotten bow?

Thats probably a small statistic. It matters not if they were on and able to get the weapons for a drop, they are extremely cheap and easy to obtain now. Thats my beef, bro.