PDA

View Full Version : idea: range visualization helper

Fusionstrike
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
One aspect to PL that's important but can be hard to get the hang of is the range aspect. Skills and weapons have a range over which they work, but it can be very hard to tell when something is in range. The skills say things like "8m range" but what is 8 meters on the PL board? It's very hard to tell. Players of course get used to the scale over time, but I think new players could benefit from a range visualization to help understand distance to targets.

My idea is that there could be an option to draw a ring on the ground around the player. The player could set the radius of the ring to something that would help them. For example, they want to hit with a skill that's 8m range, so they set the ring to 8m. Now when they walk around, they see a ring on the ground letting them know what 8m looks like. They can then judge what's in range and use their skills appropriately. Over time, they'd get used to the distances and no longer need the help, so they could turn it off.

One nice thing about this is that it could be useful in lag conditions as well. Don't you hate it when you fire a skill at a target that's in range on your screen, but is actually still out of range on the server side due to lag? You miss because your device hasn't caught up to your actual position. In that case, you could set the range ring to be slightly below the range of your skill (e.g. 7m for an 8m skill) and create some margin for error for high lag conditions. That is, the ring helps you get a little closer to compensate for lag.

I can see a lot of potential uses for this, especially as a training tool for players who want to get better at using their ranged skills effectively.

FluffNStuff
09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
That really would be pretty sweet.

Bous
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
That would make pvp too easy. Kite at 13m with a crossbow

Elyseon
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeh part of skill is to know your range give that away and it takes half the skill out of knowing when to use your skills
A lot of pvp is to be aware of many thing you have to calculate subconsciously such as range and opponents health, and your current effects
If it told you 'you have been hellscreamed, run back till effect wears off' that would take no skill to simple obey the screen
Pvp needs to remain as it is, maybe lessen dodge a bit >.> but the interface is fine

maneatingtree
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Knowing range requires skill, lets keep it that way

Bous
09-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Real talk ^^

Yich
09-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Quick, delete the thread before TechnoEmail implements it in game! Go go go!

MightyMicah
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
While I admire the creativity and time put into this thread, I simply can't agree. Since learning your range is often times the determining factor in whether you live or die, I wouldn't want that acquired skill to be compromised.

You still have a point though. You don't really have a way of knowing what a meter is without trial and error. It would be nice if these rings appeared in the beginner tutorial to show you the scale of things. Then from there you're on your own.

~MM

Fusionstrike
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
It seems like all those opposed are worried about pvp. I think it would be completely legitmate for such a feature to be active only in pve areas. After all, I don't expect the computer-generated mobs to whine about what's fair, so there's really no good argument against it.

Elyseon
09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
It seems like all those opposed are worried about pvp. I think it would be completely legitmate for such a feature to be active only in pve areas. After all, I don't expect the computer-generated mobs to whine about what's fair, so there's really no good argument against it.
As long as it can be turned off that would be fine, for me it would just be annoying tho

MightyMicah
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM

I admit that's what I had in mind, was pvp. However, would it really be worth it to add this to pve? I mean would it really help all that much?

Brave Sir Robin
09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I have to agree with those who say that range estimation is a skill; it's something which you master with experience. This goes for both PvE and PvP.

However, maybe it would be useful if this proposed range visualization helper was implemented for low/mid level PvE (e.g. for dungeons < 40 ?). It could fade with dungeon level increase and disappear completely after a certain level.

Spectre
09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm agree with you guys. I think better to make tutorial in game about range, for new players it would be awesome.

Also i found something about range, which can help to players who know their range bad

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?52159-Guide-Calculate-the-Distance-

Elyseon
09-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Imo trial and error is still bestway to learn it