PDA

View Full Version : Is 4.x really better?

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 09:54 AM
So my NA 32gb SGS3 came yesterday and I've been playing with it on WiFi from my old phone while I wait to switch SIM. Should I go ahead and update to 4.1?

I'm not so sure. Everything is so different. I can't find a way to have Friend Stream like on my HTC My Touch 4G (2.3.4), have to re download all my apps which I haven't yet except STS games, task killer isn't really killing so I'm worried about battery life. Is it gonna be ok without a task killer, and should I use Battery Saver on STS games or not?

What should I do guys? Suggestions to start?

HunterSLAYER
09-29-2012, 10:16 AM
If you want new features in exchange for sacrificing FLASH compatibility,go for it.

Android UI is alot smoother in Jb due to "Project butter", notifications are "richer", etc.

It's up to you anyway. ^_^

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
What do you mean no flash compatibility? Flash doesn't work with 4.1 yet?

There's no going back without a factory data reset, so I was wondering if there's any serious downsides.

I can't decide.

HunterSLAYER
09-29-2012, 11:20 AM
What do you mean no flash compatibility? Flash doesn't work with 4.1 yet?

There's no going back without a factory data reset, back so I was wondering if there's any serious downsides.

I can't decide.

Adobe officially dropped Flash compatibility and blocked downloads of Flash player for newer device configurations on August 14 2012, (f i'm not wrong.)
And yes, flash is no longer supported from Os 4.1 onwards, although you can easily downgrade anytime back to ICS(if you choose to ROOT your device) should you have the need to use Flash.

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I thought that was a joke or something, now I see it on Play in the description. Huh. Well, anything else I should know?

Any way to get a widget to show FB updates? I never had to worry about it before, but now I need an app. Flipboard is crap. I wanna see my FB the same as on the website kinda.

I have zero reason to root. I've looked at all the reasons and none of them appeal to me except maybe the easy backup of the entire system.

BodMaster
09-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Its all based on HTML5, same as when N7 was released in JB etc.

The only other thing is the Browser can be a pain in the butt, when trying to highlight/cut/paste. Not sure if this will effect you, but for a Mod/Admin it becomes a right pain, messes with your "clipboard" too. ICS works perfectly.

Wouldn't mess with battery saver apps or killer apps, they do more damage than good with something such as the stock SGIII OS.

That said, I love the UI. A lot smother and cool functions.

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
N7? Sorry, I've been stuck on 2.3.4 for ages so no idea. And what's a new html version have to do with no Flash support? Should I wait to update then in your opinion?

You sure I should uninstall the task killer? It doesn't seem to be killing at all, just saying it is.

BodMaster
09-29-2012, 12:45 PM
N7? Sorry, I've been stuck on 2.3.4 for ages so no idea. And what's a new html version have to do with no Flash support? Should I wait to update then in your opinion?

You sure I should uninstall the task killer? It doesn't seem to be killing at all, just saying it is.

Sorry Nexus 7 Tablet, that was released with JellyBean.

HTML5 is like a future feature to look forward to, there will be no need in FLASH. The issue atm is only a certain amount of sites/companies fully support HTML5 at this time. (Hence the future reference)

Yes, I would do away with any Task Killer, all it will do is confuse/mess with the cores/processors wasting more battery than saving.

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh I've heard and seen that tablet. I just never heard of it called that so didn't make the connection until you said so.

So basically they're dropping development of Flash because html5 will be able to do everything Flash can? But they're dropping development too early. I think that's the issue? But what happens if I have Flash installed already when I go 4.1? Forcibly uninstalled? Marked incompatible? No further updates?

Right. Uninstalling the task killer and letting all the background apps run and suck battery. I guess 4.x has ways to manage battery consumption of background apps?

So is there any widget I can get to display my FB stuff like I had on HTC? It displays it from bottom to top oldest to newest in a scrollable fashion instead of one at a time.

BodMaster
09-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Went from HTC Desire 2.3.x to SGIII and N7, so I know exactly what you mean about keeping on top of things OS wise.

I'm using JB now (Rooted), but still have Flash 11.x installed. The issue is more with the Browsers having support, a great deal are not upgraded to use it just yet. (Stock Browser ICS worked fine)

Yes, the device is capable of managing the use, but still have to hold "Home" and remove open Apps or Close them and not just back out etc.

If you want full control over OS, and Background apps etc, you would be best off Rooting. With Titanium Backup their isn't much you can't do. It's possible to Freeze every other function on the phone that you are not using.

Btw you can stick to a basic Stock Root (which many do), just to have Root access for certain features, nothing says you need to play about with Roms etc. If not "Tech Savvy" definitely suggest taking a look around Xda.

Not certain about the "Friends Stream" know exactly what you mean, so will have a look around and see what I can come up with. (Pretty certain there's a Widget, just have no use for it myself, so not of the Names)

bronislav84
09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
But what exactly happens when you have Flash and then go from 4.0.x to 4.1.x? Does it just become incompatible or what? Like having a computer program that is installed that doesn't support your OS? Can't update it either?

So the 4.1 browser no longer supports it too? What about if I use an apk backup to back up the browser from 4.0.4 and then install it as an outside source app after update? Would it work then?

I'm not rooting if it means not having access to some games. Yes I've heard of hide my root apps, but they mess with even more internal settings on top of just doing a root. First and foremost I'm a gamer, and not being able to play certain games anymore is one reason I don't want to root. Gamevil and a couple other Devs have started to block root users. The other reason is that all the device manufacturers stop talking to you, if you know what I mean, especially if you can't reverse the root.

If I root any device at all, I will probably root my old phone and not the new one. Mostly because it seems to have reached an end of life in terms of OTA updates. I will wait until I finish the couple games I'm playing that are Gamevil. I have been suffering with pre installed junk apps since day 1. The SGS3 either has a heck of a lot less junk apps, or I'm not noticing them. I wonder if there's a list somewhere online of all the SGS3 junk apps so I can Disable all of them?

Do you recommend using Battery Saver on STS games or SGS3 can handle the graphics battery drain? How well does it handle normal graphics?

The app I'm talking about is simply called Friend Stream and comes pre installed on HTC My Touch 4G. It comes with 2.2.x and was thankfully retained in 2.3.4. It's a widget that lets you post to social media, and read it in a scrolling oldest (bottom) to newest (top) fashion. If you open the widget it opens a full app that has a full screen version of the widget with a couple extra features the widget doesn't do. Friendcaster seems to be able to do all this, and except for looking different it's not that bad. Even has no text maximum.

Bod and Hunter can you help me understand this new stuff please?

Otukura
09-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I think a bigger deal is being made out of getting flash on 4.1.x than it should be. It's as simple as this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336).

Flash doesn't support 4.1.x, but pretty much everyone who has upgraded has reported it to be working fine. I have it running on a Evervolv 4.1 build without any problems.

WRT to battery comsumption. Titanium backup to freeze unwanted stuff and a power-friendly CPU governor should increase that substantially. NQ has an add-on to their anti-virus that kills all non-essential tasks that are running, not sure if it's separate in the Play store. You can probably find it separate as an apk on someplace like xda, anyway.

Friend Stream doesn't seem to have a port from what I saw while looking at XDA. You could either put a Sense ROM on the S3 and then enable Friend Stream with third party apps or by editing an .xml file, or you could try this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756273). Link is the closest thing I could find on xda. That wouldn't be so different from your Friendcaster idea, though.

BodMaster
09-30-2012, 03:57 PM
@Bron; Yup just typo, I meant I know exactly what Friend Stream is, just wasn't sure if it was on Stock Galaxy.

Companies aren't making the smartest move by removing "rooted" devices from this compatibility list, as that's what programmers thrive on, they will just find a way around it in the end anyway.

My battery consumption wasn't an issue even before I rooted, just saves even more again now it is.

I think a bigger deal is being made out of getting flash on 4.1.x than it should be. It's as simple as this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336).

Flash doesn't support 4.1.x, but pretty much everyone who has upgraded has reported it to be working fine. I have it running on a Evervolv 4.1 build without any problems.

WRT to battery comsumption. Titanium backup to freeze unwanted stuff and a power-friendly CPU governor should increase that substantially. NQ has an add-on to their anti-virus that kills all non-essential tasks that are running, not sure if it's separate in the Play store. You can probably find it separate as an apk on someplace like xda, anyway.

Friend Stream doesn't seem to have a port from what I saw while looking at XDA. You could either put a Sense ROM on the S3 and then enable Friend Stream with third party apps or by editing an .xml file, or you could try this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756273). Link is the closest thing I could find on xda. That wouldn't be so different from your Friendcaster idea, though.

^^^ This.

Though Otu, Bron isn't going to be Rooting their device ;)

Otukura
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Though Otu, Bron isn't going to be Rooting their device ;)

:/

Well, I completely forgot the governors required a root.

Although, to be honest, I believe you'd be better off rooting and skipping those games that disallow root. I don't think it's possible for them to become as big as ones that allow it.

BodMaster
09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd agree, there is so much you can do with ease these days, full un-root, and reset ROM counters etc, nothing really that can prevent one from doing so. (Warranty worry)

If they are games you enjoy and don't work on root (seriously first time ive heard of this) doesn't leave you with much choice :/

That said I'd never talk someone into Rooting if they didn't feel comfortable in doing so. Each to it's own ;)

bronislav84
09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys, but yea I'm not rooting. I stand to lose too much. I want full game compatibility. Gamevil and a couple other big name Devs are locking out root.

I just wanna know what happens when I've had Flash then update to 4.1.x, please? Can I just side load new Flash versions when I update to 4.1.x or will it have zero effect?

So the S3 4.1 stock browser no longer supports it too? What about if I use an apk backup to back up the browser from 4.0.4 and then install it as an outside source app after update? Would it work then?

Do you guys recommend using Battery Saver on STS games or SGS3 can handle the graphics battery drain? How well does it handle normal graphics? I'm really worried about battery life.

Trying to find out if it's safe to go on with the update or not. You guys have experience.

HunterSLAYER
09-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys, but yea I'm not rooting. I stand to lose too much. I want full game compatibility. Gamevil and a couple other big name Devs are locking out root.

I just wanna know what happens when I've had Flash then update to 4.1.x, please? Can I just side load new Flash versions when I update to 4.1.x or will it have zero effect?

So the S3 4.1 stock browser no longer supports it too? What about if I use an apk backup to back up the browser from 4.0.4 and then install it as an outside source app after update? Would it work then?

Do you guys recommend using Battery Saver on STS games or SGS3 can handle the graphics battery drain? How well does it handle normal graphics? I'm really worried about battery life.

Trying to find out if it's safe to go on with the update or not. You guys have experience.

There's an option to 'temp unroot' in superuser. Use it, and your 'root blocked apps' will work fine.

So far i just patch those apps which block root myself(teh lulz noobz devs im smarter than them) not going to tell you how or else im gonna get an infraction :/

Flash only works properly on JB with ROOT. You can try manually installing it on a Stocl SGS III, but i can pretty much guarantee you it wouldn't work as flawlessly as it does on a ROOTED Phone with tweaks, plugins and scripts in a rom specifically optimized for Flash

I use flash to watch Livestreams on YouTube when im on -the- go(as Google hasn't included this feature in their Mobile Youtube app yet.) As well as Twitchtv and it works flawlessly on my rooted SGS III on Jb.

Other than that, unless you want to customize every single detail, from icons to colorful lock screens to notification bar wallpapers and extreme battery saving with forced underclocking there is not much reason for you to root.

Also, if you want great stuff like this you may want to root ^_^

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745003

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Otukura
09-30-2012, 09:50 PM
^twitch is the one app that I haven't had working since the latest update, I get the white loading thing, that disappears, and the screen is just black. If I tap it, I can see the title and resolution options, but changing the res doesn't do anything either. Any idea why?

bronislav84
10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Guys I'm not gonna root, ok? I don't need it that badly. I'm not a Dev and I don't need over clock or tweaking things. I just want a good gaming experience. Did I mention I'm afraid to turn my shiny new phone into a paperweight? I've done the research, and besides just not needing it, rooting a device can have serious consequence if you fail. The consequences of failing make me just not wanna attempt it.

Would somebody please answer the questions I'm asking? Please?

HunterSLAYER
10-01-2012, 01:30 AM
^twitch is the one app that I haven't had working since the latest update, I get the white loading thing, that disappears, and the screen is just black. If I tap it, I can see the title and resolution options, but changing the res doesn't do anything either. Any idea why?

The twitch Tv mobile app for droid has not been updated to fully support jellybean.
In the meantime, you might want to downgrade(if you're on Jb) to ICS or just use a spare device(if you have one?) running on ICS to use the Twitch Tv mobile app.
That's also one of the main reason i use flash to watch Streams at Twitch full site atm temp.

HunterSLAYER
10-01-2012, 01:46 AM

I don't recommend using battery saver apps as it drains your bat more than it saves due to constant battery monitoring.
Battery drain is ok on Stock SGS III rom but of course, alot better on custom roms that have, i've managed to clock 7hrs+++++ straight on my rooted SGS III with force underclock@600++MHZ and running on one core(instead of 2/4-forced) playing Pl and Sl. Battery drain is alot worse on DL with me managing 6hrs max.

Do not attempt to install flash on Jb as it WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY/MAY NOT WORK AT ALL/"APPLICATION NOT INSTALLED ERROR"- depends on phone model.
Only modified versions made for modified SGS III works properly as some code is rewritten specifically for Jb and additional tweaks made to the app is recompiled into the flash apk.

Regarding Gamevil and Com2us, they mostly only prevent you from playing their games when "Memory hack applications" are detected running in the background.
Memory hack applications are illegal(Not going to mention any-or infraction :/ ), as people who hate iaps often use it to modify encrypted MD5 SUM Code usually used to protect Game Data/saves that are used to determine your "in-game virtual cash. e.g. glu credits).

Just avoid using those kind of apps and you will be able to play gamevil's games.

bronislav84
10-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Meant the Battery Saver slider in STS games. More info from more people would be helpful.

Gamevil and a couple other Devs have taken to just blocking root outright recently. Read reviews of them. Arel Wars 2 needs a constant signal to play. Demon Hunter displays a Korean message to root users.

HunterSLAYER
10-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Arel wars 2 needs a data/WIFI connection to play not because of root, but because "Save data" is presumably saved to their server(Gamevil provides cloud saving services to users of their apps).
I've a personal copy of Arel Wars that can run offline ^^.

You're right about Demon hunter. The dev managed to encrypt the apk pretty well but not for long, cos' this dev is smarter than him ^^.
Edit: Done! Got Demon Hunter running on my ROOTED Device. only took me 15 mins.
Demon Hunter uses READ_PHONE_STATE to determine whether a phone is rooted or not which can be easily patched(as as always, not going to tell you how or i'll get an infraction) by anybody who's knowledgeable in droid.

Pffft. And i thought Bicore's demon hunter was going to be a challenge. They were no match for me :D

bronislav84
10-01-2012, 08:03 AM
And then you gotta do that every time they update. Way to go. At least I know they're not gonna make calls without my knowledge. I guess it's safe to update Demon Hunter, huh?

I actually asked Gamevil about Arel Wars 2. They said it IS an anti root measure, of sorts. They're uploading you save data to the server and checking it's not illegally modified. I think Zenonia 4 blocks root outright, but not sure how.

Anybody know if STS games work ok without Battery Saver on SGS3? And for how long?

As it is now, I'm probably going to stay on 4.0.4. I hate losing compatibility.