PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to use Battery Saver Slider on SGS3?

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Well I finished downloading all my apps on my new NA 32gb SGS3 last night. And I'm wondering, how's the battery life when playing on zero Battery Saver? Half? Full?

And as long as we're here, how's it handle PL and DL at the same amounts of the slider?

Rittik
10-02-2012, 08:39 AM
well battery saver irdk how it works..but i can tell u..if u increase it ..it will definately lag and dexrease your frame rate per sec or fps

Rik[Rittik]

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Also tried decreasing it, just messed up the Fps.

Since I came back, I used it at half/full works fine, and get many hours out of it. (Though as you know I am rooted)

That said, soon the new Client will be released and it should run even better again.

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Well you guys gotta realize that the fps drop is not lag. From my understanding, lower fps saves battery life. That's all they're doing, lowering the fps. You don't move any slower or cast skills any slower. It's just you see less frames and stuff jumps. Maybe I'm wrong?

Bod you know I'm not rooting. Any idea how it runs without root tweaks please?

So basically the question is should I lower my fps or not? If the phone doesn't give a crap and battery consumption is the same on all settings, then I don't need to. I wanna play games on the train for a half hour or 2 hours at a doctor's office and not end up with 30 percent, you know? Does this happen?

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
No that's right, but to the extent its done on StS apps, I could only handle it for a few secs.

You need to see it for yourself honestly, doubt you would be happy playing like it either.

Just go into a busy B*, and stand there and watch all the players move in jumps not fluid at all. (As its intended)

I had mine set to 0 battery saving, on day of new cap release and it lasted me 10 hours before my phone died.

2+ hours isn't going to affect to the point of below 30%

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Lol I had to play with full Saver PLUGGED IN on my My Touch 4G, which is why I'm asking. All the time. I tried once with zero and it discharged faster than the charger could handle it. The battery got worse and worse over time to the point of needing to be plugged in to do basic things. Needless to say, the battery on it is shot and I have it plugged in at all times now. When I go outside I have an external battery on it.

So yea, I've been playing on full Saver since forever, and wanna ditch it, which is why I'm asking people for input.

So you got 10 hours on a full charge in a crowded town with zero Saver? Taking into account your root, that's roughly 8 for a regular user before the phone turns off?

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Not just crowded area, but constantly changing instances, and with so many on the lag was unrealistic on 3G, but got roughly 3.5k xp before it died, and the next day it was all nerf'd lmao (Madness on the first day, much easier/quicker now)

I'd say 7/8 would be about right without Root, Hunter may have more experience than this on me though, as I only started back on that day.

My HTC Desire used to do that, was crazy had to pretty much play on charge at all times and my phone would still die. (Non-Root at the time)

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Bod. Feel free to add more info though.

Today I'm going to the store to move my contacts and activate the new micro SIM. They refused last time when I was asking and didn't have it yet, but I called CS and was told the store shouldn't refuse. Other than that I've been using the thing on WiFi from the My Touch 4G the whole weekend and have my apps pretty much set up. I will move my SD card and side load the outside sources apps, too. Then I will put the old SD I replaced back into the old phone. Once they put the protectors on and I can take off the plastic it comes in, I'll be more or less done migrating. I will just need to finish Arel Wars 1 on the old phone before I migrate. At least Zenonia 2 let me migrate data between devices.

Oh yeah, there's still a couple Com2us games I need to migrate data for. Forgot those.

Wish me luck?

Deathpunch
10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks Bod. Feel free to add more info though.

Today I'm going to the store to move my contacts and activate the new micro SIM. They refused last time when I was asking and didn't have it yet, but I called CS and was told the store shouldn't refuse. Other than that I've been using the thing on WiFi from the My Touch 4G the whole weekend and have my apps pretty much set up. I will move my SD card and side load the outside sources apps, too. Then I will put the old SD I replaced back into the old phone. Once they put the protectors on and I can take off the plastic it comes in, I'll be more or less done migrating. I will just need to finish Arel Wars 1 on the old phone before I migrate. At least Zenonia 2 let me migrate data between devices.

Oh yeah, there's still a couple Com2us games I need to migrate data for. Forgot those.

Wish me luck?

Psst. Root and titanium backup. No need to worry about game data then. ;) Also, why have the store move your contacts? You didn't save them to your Google account? I hate letting them cotton headed ninny muggins that work at the store touch my device. They like to update stuff I don't want updated. Jerks.

-----
*insert witty tapatalk sig here*

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Lol DP not gonna work ;)

Also forgot if I mentioned my WiFi was out of play on release so was using 3G/H+.

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 06:45 PM
New device. Was afraid to brick or mess up a setting I couldn't reverse. I'm still learning how to use it.

Guys are you sure it's ok to leave apps running in the background or should I manually fc? Task killer doesn't work anymore lol.

Ardon
10-02-2012, 07:13 PM
New device. Was afraid to brick or mess up a setting I couldn't reverse. I'm still learning how to use it.

Guys are you sure it's ok to leave apps running in the background or should I manually fc? Task killer doesn't work anymore lol.

Task killers are a myth.

Deathpunch
10-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Leave em run. The os will shut them down when needed.

-----

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
If you say so Death. Thanks for all the info guys.

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
For this phone, I just either close down an app when finished (correctly, not backing out), or hold "Home" and swipe them off.

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Full fc-ing right?

I've been going to app management and making sure to force close every app I use just to be sure. I really hate apps sitting in memory. Frequently used apps like Gmail (I check every hour or so lol) is forgivable, but stuff I use every 2 or 3 hours or once a day sitting there for Google knows how long is just silly, no?

Deathpunch
10-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Full fc-ing right?

I've been going to app management and making sure to force close every app I use just to be sure. I really hate apps sitting in memory. Frequently used apps like Gmail (I check every hour or so lol) is forgivable, but stuff I use every 2 or 3 hours or once a day sitting there for Google knows how long is just silly, no?

Lol, being that obsessive over background apps is silly, no? Seriously, the os will kill apps if it needs the memory. They don't drain battery sitting there, unless they update, but if you have them set to update, you don't want to force kill them in the first place.

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hmm only one that updates often is Gmail, Friendcaster and that's it pretty much. Oh and Play checking for updates and Contacts synch. I also manual kill STS games for old times sake. Maybe I shouldn't be so obsessive? Not used to a phone with good battery life and memory.

BodMaster
10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Full fc-ing right?

No I don't bother with Full Force Closing each process, just swipe the recent apps open on my device.

Press and hold "Home", all recent opened apps open up, I just clear that when needed. Don't mess with FC, as most of the times its using more power than needed, especially if a process that is going to pop back open in a few mins anyway.

As DP said, best not to be too anal about that, the OS is pretty handy when it comes to that.

As for Updating apps, I leave all mine on manual, hate them updating themselves in the middle of me doing something. (Notifications, annoy me too, so better turned off for me personally)

Just checked today had 53 Updates ready xD

bronislav84
10-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Isn't that just clearing out shortcuts from recently used apps though? Like the recent apps (notification bar) in 2.3 and lower but they seem to let you clear those. They're still in memory.

I always have notifications off too, but it's not a good idea to be so behind on apps. Almost all of mine are games. I'd hate to wanna play something and find out it needs an update to play, like a new Legends client.

But yea the battery life really rules. So far anyway. I need to order a second battery though, I think, for when I do need a new one and they become hard to find.

HunterSLAYER
10-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Bron, i know u mentioned that you're not going to root, but i assure you, the only REAL, effective way to play sts games for hours on a single charge is to root, underclock and use a battery saving governor.

The battery saver slider in sts mobile clients does help, but not too much as ur phone's max frequency it could run at is still the same(means at some point of time, especially in B*, ur phone would frequently clock itself to a much higher frequency due to demand-25 players in some B* bases.)

Lower frequency=better battery savings.

That's from my experience using a modified sgs III.

An alternative is that you can get a battery with a higher capacity(3000+MAH) if you don't want to root(maybe about $10+++ on Ebay?).

Sent from my ASUS Nexus 7 via Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

ninjaduck
10-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Xperia play - undervolted, rooted, and flAshed with jellybean, clocked at 1.3ghz!

Zzz

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Not rooting. It's not worth it to me. One screw up, 350+ bucks gone. That's the end of story on rooting any new device. Can't afford to replace = no taking risks. If I root any it will be the MT 4G. I can afford to brick that.

Please link me a compatible battery (the search, not a specific item cause I don't know when I will get it), cause you can bet I'm interested. The only thing is I'm worried the NFC is tied to the battery and not the phone body itself.

Bod did I mention you rock with all this cool info?

Seiyen
10-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Task killers are a myth.

They work upto android 2.1,from 2.2 they get messed up....

Deathpunch
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Shoot. I'm betting that as popular the sgs3 is there is a one click root out there that doesn't even require adb to be installed. Not to mention that since cyanogen has started working for Samsung they seem to be focusing on their devices. I <3 cyanogenmod.

-----

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Task killers are a myth.

They work upto android 2.1,from 2.2 they get messed up....Yea I've had decent luck with them on 2.3.4 if you just use screen off and auto. You just start running into unkillable apps more and more over time.

There's still the matter of anti root games, Death. Really, ain't happening. Maybe in 2 years when this phone us crap and I upgrade to the 5 or 6. Or the equivalent HTC phone.

Deathpunch
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Anti root games? I don't know what you mean.

-----

HunterSLAYER
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Isn't that just clearing out shortcuts from recently used apps though? Like the recent apps (notification bar) in 2.3 and lower but they seem to let you clear those. They're still in memory.

I always have notifications off too, but it's not a good idea to be so behind on apps. Almost all of mine are games. I'd hate to wanna play something and find out it needs an update to play, like a new Legends client.

But yea the battery life really rules. So far anyway. I need to order a second battery though, I think, for when I do need a new one and they become hard to find.

Why don't you check the "Stop app via long-press" option under Developer options?
I use that all the time and it even kills persistent services completely(whatsapp, facebook or any app that has push notification functionality.)

HunterSLAYER
10-03-2012, 11:51 AM

-----

Dl this and i can guarantee you it wouldn't work unless u patch it,disable su before launching the app, limit app permissions or completely unroot your device.
The loophole in this app is at first launch(only at 1st launch) it checks whether your device is rooted or not.
If i would to merely rename part of the su files in xbin to Mu root access is "disabled" and i would be able to launch the app.
Subsequent launches will work even if root access is granted to the same device you installed this app on.

*Ahem Devs before you give me an infraction let me tell you this is legal as in no way am i modifying the app itself(but merely modifying files in my own device, which i solely own, not them.)
Com2us never said i couldn't disable root access to run the app.
In fact, they said "Unroot your device" before using this app.

HunterSLAYER
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Not rooting. It's not worth it to me. One screw up, 350+ bucks gone. That's the end of story on rooting any new device. Can't afford to replace = no taking risks. If I root any it will be the MT 4G. I can afford to brick that.

Please link me a compatible battery (the search, not a specific item cause I don't know when I will get it), cause you can bet I'm interested. The only thing is I'm worried the NFC is tied to the battery and not the phone body itself.

Bod did I mention you rock with all this cool info?

Here you go Bron.
http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-4600mah-extended-battery-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-atandt-samsumg-galaxy-s-iii-i747-verzion-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-i535-with-battery-door.html
*Price also includes a FAT cover(White/Blue) to fit the FAT BATTERY.
NFC ready.

More than 2x of the original Stock Battery's capacity.
Even without ROOT, i assure you it can last at least 4-5 days with normal internet surfing, emails calls and social updates on LTE(or even longer given the Battery's HUGE capacity).
The bat capacity is overkill LOLZ.

If you're on a budget and don't feel like spending too much but still want a battery that can last maybe a day more than the stock battery look at this instead as it's almost ten times cheaper than the one listed above:
[with WHITE cover]
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-Li-ion-Extended-Battery-Cover-Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-S-III-i9300-White-/370626104249)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Extended-3600mAh-NFC-battery-Door-Cover-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-III-i9300-/221114731458?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-15032%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn %3D15%26pmod%3D370626104249%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D24 84342885733129782&_qi=RTM1062696#ht_1630wt_1037

[with BLACK cover]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-Li-ion-Extended-Battery-Cover-Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-S-III-i9300-Black-/120936480530?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-15032%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn %3D15%26pmod%3D370626104249%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D24 84310144476609693&_qi=RTM1062691#ht_1490wt_1271

[with DARK BLUE cover]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-Li-ion-Extended-Battery-Cover-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-III-i9300-Dark-Blue-/140854919748?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-15032%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn %3D1

*Note: Except for the First 3600 MAH battery that comes with the white cover, the others are not NFC READY.

Deathpunch
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Triple post much? Lol! Crap on that anti root crap. It's my device, and I'll do as I please.

-----

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Why don't you check the "Stop app via long-press" option under Developer options?
I use that all the time and it even kills persistent services completely(whatsapp, facebook or any app that has push notification functionality.)It's not there man. There's only destroy process soon as the user leaves it, and that seems to be doing zilch. Is this the option that kills recent apps but does it silently?

And thanks for the battery links dude. You rock too. I will check them out. Seriously worried about battery with STS games, which is why I made this thread. Any idea how long the fat battery takes to charge? If it takes an eon to charge, I'll probably get the other NFC compatible battery.

That's right Death, the kind of apps Hunter explained. They won't run as is.

Anybody got time to help me in Off Topic?

HunterSLAYER
10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
It's not there man. There's only destroy process soon as the user leaves it, and that seems to be doing zilch. Is this the option that kills recent apps but does it silently?

And thanks for the battery links dude. You rock too. I will check them out. Seriously worried about battery with STS games, which is why I made this thread. Any idea how long the fat battery takes to charge? If it takes an eon to charge, I'll probably get the other NFC compatible battery.

That's right Death, the kind of apps Hunter explained. They won't run as is.

Anybody got time to help me in Off Topic?

4600 mah Hmm...I didn't buy one(cos' i didn't need it =.=''') but i would say 4-5 hours min. charge time max 7 hours(based on my charge time for a 3200 MAH battery>>3-4 hrs i bought from Ebay from the same seller lol).
If you think of it, you can go without charging your phone for several days lol and btw the 4600 mah battery is also NFC ready as stated at the page(of the link i sent you, just scroll down.)

Regarding the "Stop app via long press on back button option" i forgot it's only included in phones with cm9 and above roms, sry bron :/

*Zero*
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the GS3 family. Mines not rooted and I run half slider battery lasts forever. Also I'd look for another FB app friendcaster is a battery hog. I use stock apps and it does fine.

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the welcome Zero, and the info. :) I haven't been able to find another app that has an app/widget like what I was used to on my old phone. Came pre installed. Caster seems to be the closest to what I'm used to. I killed all it's notifications, just use app/widget.

Dang the first battery is pricey as all heck but I always seem to overcharge my phone's battery (Bad luck, ruined my old one like that) and this one seems like it could last the 22 months. I'll see if I can get one in November. Can't afford much of anything right now.

Ardon
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
You might want to carry an extra battery in your wallet. I do and it doesn't bother me. Just a quick battery switch and boom, fully charged battery

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I actually used to do that with my old phone. External acting as first (Internal dead-ish), and spare internal to swap in. Shelved the old stuff now though, heh.

What I'm thinking of doing is using the stock battery for a couple months then buying the 90 dollar battery Hunter showed, then the stock battery would become my spare in case that monster one ran out. Figure if I buy a second battery it should be good.

Ardon
10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. There's never enough power to be had

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
But yea Ardon, I much appreciate the reminder to do that. I was going to but then forgot, but then remembered about a spare (Had no idea what to do with the stock once I got the bigger one) thanks to you. Been too absorbed in how awesome this phone is. Now if only I could finally start taking screens with it.

Oh wait, I can't yet because I'm wondering what's going on with the internal storage: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?70742-This-is-a-amp-quot-new-amp-quot-feature-in-android-4-x

Can anybody help in that thread please?

BodMaster
10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Why can't you take screens with it?

ICS = Hold down Power and Home button.

JB = Hold down Power and Down button.

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Read the thread mister Bod. Something is odd with the internal storage.

BodMaster
10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
5am atm, will check it out tomorrow/later. (I only call it "tomorrow" after I've slept, even though it is a new day xD)

bronislav84
10-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you man. Looking forward to it. That thread is lonely and I'm afraid to use SD, thinking something is broken.

If anybody has any more info on how SGS3 performs with the Battery Saver Slider at various amounts, no root, please post.

*Zero*
10-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I palm across my screen too to do screen shots.

BodMaster
10-04-2012, 12:00 PM
I palm across my screen too to do screen shots.

Yhh I like some of those editions, like double tap on top of device (orientation doesn't matter) to scroll to top.

Especially contact/message - Swipe to Call.

bronislav84
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Or put phone to ear while contact open to make a call. Does that work well? Haven't used it yet. Smart Stay seems to not work for me. I put my face to where the sensor/camera is, in front of it, eye icon appears on the top, and phone screen still goes off.

So Bod any news on my other thread? It's dropped to Page 2 and I'm still afraid to use a SD card.

BodMaster
10-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Smart stay works great here, as soon as I move my head away it turns off, saves a lot of hassle with timing the amount if time you want the device to stay awake.

Couldn't fin the post, will check ina bit - Dinna time noom nooom

bronislav84
10-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe it doesn't work while auto brightness is enabled?

I gave the direct link in the second to last post in this thread. Please help. That thread is lonely.

Kanozaki
10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Well you guys gotta realize that the fps drop is not lag. From my understanding, lower fps saves battery life. That's all they're doing, lowering the fps. You don't move any slower or cast skills any slower. It's just you see less frames and stuff jumps. Maybe I'm wrong?

Bod you know I'm not rooting. Any idea how it runs without root tweaks please?

So basically the question is should I lower my fps or not? If the phone doesn't give a crap and battery consumption is the same on all settings, then I don't need to. I wanna play games on the train for a half hour or 2 hours at a doctor's office and not end up with 30 percent, you know? Does this happen?

i ran SL on S3 and it runs fine at half but if your by a charger and dont really care about battery life then just drop it all the way down. I tried it at full and its slower FPS but playable , chose according to situation.

bronislav84
10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Think I'm going to play at half when at home (can recharge while I watch television or something) and at full slider when outside. At least until I get that monster battery.

HunterSLAYER
10-14-2012, 12:14 PM

-----

And.....Square Enix follows the rest of the anti-root developers!
Shame~

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay&feature=search_result&hl=ja
*See description.

*First played this game two years back on my idevice as well as Chaos Rings 2! :D

BodMaster
10-14-2012, 12:25 PM
It's pretty silly to be fair, its not as if we are using warez to play them. (Though if they put these kind of restrictions on games, root devs will retaliate.

Link in English xD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay&feature=search_result&hl=en_GB

HunterSLAYER
10-14-2012, 01:20 PM
It's pretty silly to be fair, its not as if we are using warez to play them. (Though if they put these kind of restrictions on games, root devs will retaliate.

Link in English xD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay&feature=search_result&hl=en_GB

Oops i forgot to post the English link :P
^^English link posted by Bod above.

Lol to bypass root check just rename su files(if you bought it legally, that is.)

BodMaster
10-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Clicked on the link, was like hmmm, as easy as reading the description he says xD (we are not all as lucky as you to be in Tokyo :p)

Lol, yhh it's not hard to get around, just if they keep it up and annoy the wrong people, they will do everything in their power to get it for free if a purchase app. (Things like Lucky Patcher)

BodMaster
10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
And.....Square Enix follows the rest of the anti-root developers!
Shame~

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay&feature=search_result&hl=ja
*See description.

*First played this game two years back on my idevice as well as Chaos Rings 2! :D

They caught on, lol.

We are aware of the issue affecting Android users who attempt to download*Chaos Rings*with rooted devices. We are currently working towards applying an update that will grant those players access to the game and we expect this update to go live sometime next week. We thank the Android community for its patience and continued support as we continue to bring great mobile games to the Android platform.

However, posts on the XDA developer forums claim that the game has a launch-time check for rooted apps, which would imply that Square Enix purposely blocked rooted Android users.

www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/some-square-enix-games-wont-work-on-your-rooted-android-device/

HunterSLAYER
10-15-2012, 07:26 AM
They caught on, lol.

www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/some-square-enix-games-wont-work-on-your-rooted-android-device/ (http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/some-square-enix-games-wont-work-on-your-rooted-android-device/)

I guess so. About time anyways.

brodiniozo
10-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Not gonna read the thread, but:

Use 20-25% screen brightness.

Or, just root ur phone and throw in a nice ROM and Kernel, its very easy. Check out the xda forums. Takes like 1 min.

BodMaster
10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Not gonna read the thread, but:

Use 20-25% screen brightness.

Or, just root ur phone and throw in a nice ROM and Kernel, its very easy. Check out the xda forums. Takes like 1 min.

OP is in Root denial stage atm, give it done more time, I'm sure they will crack ;)