PDA

View Full Version : Gamasutra talks about Spacetime Studios and Arcane Legends!

Skeletonlord
10-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I was searching the internet and came across this article. I wanted to post this because it had some really good information on it.

Here are the main points from the article:

"Pocket Legends is where it things really started, according to Spacetime Studios CEO Gary Gattis. The team has a long history with MMOs, with key staff having filled prominent roles on games like Star Wars Galaxies at Sony Online Entertainment. The team quickly realized that, despite the setbacks, it had a solid technological bed to develop MMOs on. Noting an absence of MMOs on the iOS market, the team quickly got to work on Pocket Legends, which expanded to encompass Android and browser via the Chrome Web Store.

"The Legends series initially began with a form of the free-to-play model -- there was a paywall at level 13. After further consultation with investors and research into industry trends, Spacetime made a full transition to the free-to-play with microtransactions model."

"Now, after three years in the market, Spacetime is working on its fourth MMO. The studio has grown to what Gattis refers to as a "42 piece jazz fusion odyssey orchestra of experimentation". Gattis currently aims for a six-month gap between new releases of the Legends games, with Arcane Legends soon to ship on mobile and desktop, via the Chrome Web Store, both."

Gattis cites a Nielsen study indicating that while Android users and iOS users spend 9.3 and 14.7 hours respectively playing games per month, the average Legends player spends about 25 hours per month in-game.

"Part of keeping these players engaged is done thanks to Spacetime's ability to push updates quickly and regularly, Gattis says. Possibly most important to the studio's strategy is that it also pushes updates simultaneously to users on iOS, Android and via Google Chrome, he claims."

You can read the whole article here : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/179175/tiny_mmos_massive_opportunities.php

So, perhaps there will be a game every six months?

MightyMicah
10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Good find! That would be kinda neat I guess.

octavos
10-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Glad to see that sts has a winning formula.

BodMaster
10-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Still yet to see that formula include us (Players at this time) ;)

octavos
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Still yet to see that formula include us (Players at this time) ;)

were still here right XD

BodMaster
10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
To elaborate, for the Titles we play right at this time. (Not circling current members from game to game)

R.I.P. SL, our development will be going into another game once again, maybe twice... nah more :p

thecrankybearsam
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
new games...every six months?
o_O

Jcyee
10-11-2012, 09:49 PM
wow every six months O.o

akfury
10-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Way to many games...

Skeletonlord
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
o_O

It seems right so far. 6+6 is 12, and there are twelve months in the year, so that's two games a year. That is quite a lot.

SexyIsland
10-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Woah that's too much..... One game per year it's ok but two is outrages. Plus what about the New content for the other games. Oh wait two games per year means, one Level cap raise and One special event per year for the other ones. Blaaahhh poor PL, SL, DL and Soon AL... :(

SamTheDog
10-12-2012, 09:54 PM
o_O

Doesn't say anything about it being just new games. The quote uses the word "releases". I suspect they mostly mean major updates to existing titles with maybe some new ones scattered here and there. Let's face it, the development cycle was nowhere near 6 months for DL or AL.

BodMaster
10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Doesn't say anything about it being just new games. The quote uses the word "releases". I suspect they mostly mean major updates to existing titles with maybe some new ones scattered here and there. Let's face it, the development cycle was nowhere near 6 months for DL or AL.

I'm pretty positive it means new releases..

Gattis currently aims for a six-month gap between new releases of the Legends games, with Arcane Legends soon..

Tbf, was more concerned with the part about bringing in staff from social sites like Zynga.

SamTheDog
10-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm pretty positive it means new releases..

Tbf, was more concerned with the part about bringing in staff from social sites like Zynga.

In a previous life, things like going from vista to windows 7, or gingerbread to ICS were called releases. Maybe the jargon has changed. Either way, you are right the zynga comment should send a shiver down our collective spines

BodMaster
10-14-2012, 09:23 AM
In a previous life, things like going from vista to windows 7, or gingerbread to ICS were called releases. Maybe the jargon has changed. Either way, you are right the zynga comment should send a shiver down our collective spines

You are right in that manner. The only thing that makes me otherwise is the way that it was stated "New releases of the Legend games". Instead of something like, "New releases in our Legend games", could be spun if wanted I guess though.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way, regarding Zynga. (As OP didn't 'quote' it, wasn't sure if I was alone in that thought)