PDA

View Full Version : NOOB question! What is the DEAL with -fnord's everywhere??

MissFlux
09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
ok i am asking this pathetic question because NO ONE will tell me what -fnord means!:confused:
I see it EVREYWHERE ... i'm guessing its a guild or clan?? But when u ask a -fnord person they say NOTHING.
Just incase i'm not being clear i mean people with a "name" then -fnord after it, IE:
pocketlegends-fnord.
Any info be much appreciated as this is buggin me! LOL ..:rolleyes: Thanks

vulgarstrike
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
fnord used to be a world server, like alterra, then they merged. all characters that were fnord based has -fnord added to their names, and were given the chance for one free name change. some people, wanting to retain their fnordic identity, kept their names

Royce
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
There used to be 2 servers for PL, Alterra and Fnord. When they merged the servers, all the characters from Fnord were moved to Alterra, but if their name was already taken in Alterra, it had "-Fnord" tagged onto the end of it.

Kirei
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
LIKE ME!!!!! FNORD FOR THE WIN!!!!!!! sorry... that wasent helpful

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I know the reason why alterra and fnord merged. (The following is an educated guess.)

On the dev's computers, there are two mail folders: Realm_Alterra and Realm_Fnord. And somehow, by some unchangeable mistake, the folders were merged together. Idk how it happened, probably the fnord went into the alterra folder or vice versa.

but still, the folders might have been put together...

Kirei
09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
.... WHAT??????? WTF are you talking about?????????????????

KingFu
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I know the reason why alterra and fnord merged. (The following is an educated guess.)

On the dev's computers, there are two mail folders: Realm_Alterra and Realm_Fnord. And somehow, by some unchangeable mistake, the folders were merged together. Idk how it happened, probably the fnord went into the alterra folder or vice versa.

but still, the folders might have been put together...

Just to let you know, they could have changed it, whether it be delete the fnord folder and remake it or what. I really doubt they accidentally merged them and couldn't change them, they said they merged them on purpose, but I may be wrong.

But I really really doubt that's true. What's your source?

vulgarstrike
09-06-2010, 08:50 PM
i'm pretty sure they merged it since one server could support everyone and they could save money.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Just to let you know, they could have changed it, whether it be delete the fnord folder and remake it or what. I really doubt they accidentally merged them and couldn't change them, they said they merged them on purpose, but I may be wrong.

But I really really doubt that's true. What's your source?

Meh, I kinda agree with you.

But not so much that I'll change my opinion yet ;).

My source: They did it TOO soon. For example, when PL was made, like 2 weeks later, they said it merged.

Must have been what I said before IMO..

Royce
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
They merged because the number of players online at any given time dropped (pre and early Fnord days 1000 people on was not uncommon, but that dropped and we just recently got that high again). Anyway Fnord became a bit of a ghost town. It was still a lot of fun for high level players but low levels had a serious challenge finding games. So they decided there was no reason to have 2 servers and they were merged (for now... ;) )

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
They merged because the number of players online at any given time dropped (pre and early Fnord days 1000 people on was not uncommon, but that dropped and we just recently got that high again). Anyway Fnord became a bit of a ghost town. It was still a lot of fun for high level players but low levels had a serious challenge finding games. So they decided there was no reason to have 2 servers and they were merged (for now... ;) )

Aww man :x

Kingofhurtz
09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
This is totally off topic but I love your new sig, vulgar. Part time philanthropist...xD

MissFlux
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
LOL! Well im so glad it posed some discussion and you wern't like .. "Oh noob ... YOU"LL NEVER KNOW! Pfftt" . SO yeah thanks for the DETAILED response :) Makes perfect sense and i can see "-fnordic's" dont wanna answer every dick and their dog about why they have -fnord next to their name ;) hehe
Thankyou!! :D

Bentmer
09-07-2010, 07:56 PM
LOL! Well im so glad it posed some discussion and you wern't like .. "Oh noob ... YOU"LL NEVER KNOW! Pfftt" . SO yeah thanks for the DETAILED response :) Makes perfect sense and i can see "-fnordic's" dont wanna answer every dick and their dog about why they have -fnord next to their name ;) hehe
Thankyou!! :D

I thought it meant you were part of some cool exclusive club. Oh well, now I have to pay to rename my chars...

Royce
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought it meant you were part of some cool exclusive club. Oh well, now I have to pay to rename my chars...

Actually, they gave free renames to everyone who was tagged "-Fnord" and I've heard that even if you just choose a -Fnord name you can rename free ;) But honestly I've never tried it... I've also never come up with another good name for Royce-Fnord and unless whoever has just Royce quits and I can get that name, I'll probably just keep -Fnord forever. After all I did rename one of my -Fnord characters Fnordic ;)

Bentmer
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Actually, they gave free renames to everyone who was tagged "-Fnord" and I've heard that even if you just choose a -Fnord name you can rename free ;) But honestly I've never tried it... I've also never come up with another good name for Royce-Fnord and unless whoever has just Royce quits and I can get that name, I'll probably just keep -Fnord forever. After all I did rename one of my -Fnord characters Fnordic ;)

Maybe I'm the only one who even thinks about it, but what happens when the character's name plus 'fnord' exceeds the character length limit? Do they force a rename on login then? Yeah I have too much time on my hands lol. :eek:

Royce
09-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who even thinks about it, but what happens when the character's name plus 'fnord' exceeds the character length limit? Do they force a rename on login then? Yeah I have too much time on my hands lol. :eek:

No, many characters had overlong names and continued playing. It did cause a bug where, if your name was too long, you couldn't edit the text in the change name box, but they quickly fixed it.

haroldiv
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
My source: They did it TOO soon. For example, when PL was made, like 2 weeks later, they said it merged.

this is completely incorrect. it was planned. who cares anyway.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Hey Harold, random post time. What wand does you level 29 Mage use? Just curious.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
this is completely incorrect. it was planned. who cares anyway.

I don't care, but I cant tell if your sarcastic or for real...

asommers
09-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Fnord is opened:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?252-Realm-Fnord-is-now-available!&highlight=fnord

Fnord will be closed:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2485-Server-merge
Server merge in progress:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2533-Server-Downtime-2010-05-27-11am-4pm-CST
Post server merge:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2552-Server-merge-issues&highlight=server

-ALS

Royce
09-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Fnord is opened:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?252-Realm-Fnord-is-now-available!&highlight=fnord

Fnord will be closed:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2485-Server-merge
Server merge in progress:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2533-Server-Downtime-2010-05-27-11am-4pm-CST
Post server merge:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2552-Server-merge-issues&highlight=server

-ALS

Chapter 5: Realm Fnord Reopens:

someday...

icantgetkills
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Alterra had 214 players and fnord had like 80 then dropped to like 14 players sometimes so because of the lack of people on the server they merged them but when more players play i hope they bring in a new realm :)

Hotndots
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I've been thinking about that. Maybe with all of this '' Players: 1000 '' .. we should get Fnord back. It's getting crowded on Alterra. Originally, I played Fnord. Bring it back =)

Bentmer
09-08-2010, 04:00 AM
No, many characters had overlong names and continued playing. It did cause a bug where, if your name was too long, you couldn't edit the text in the change name box, but they quickly fixed it.

Royce, you have an answer to everything lol.

Ok then, have you ever met the other Royce? Or shall we call him Royce-Alterra? ;)

Raxie
09-08-2010, 04:41 AM
he is quite the smart cookie.

Royce
09-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Ok then, have you ever met the other Royce? Or shall we call him Royce-Alterra? ;)

Thanks, and no I haven't. I tried adding "Royce" as a friend, but it was never accepted. I've never seen or heard of anyone seeing him either. I'm afraid the name is wasted on an abandoned account, or by one of those jerks who just creates many accounts to hoard decent names for selling down the road (seriously people have admited to doing that here in the forums).

Kingofhurtz
09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks, and no I haven't. I tried adding "Royce" as a friend, but it was never accepted. I've never seen or heard of anyone seeing him either. I'm afraid the name is wasted on an abandoned account, or by one of those jerks who just creates many accounts to hoard decent names for selling down the road (seriously people have admited to doing that here in the forums).

Hahah I'll admit that I have a lvl 1 archer named bowzo that I never have used. I just thought of the name and figured I'd better get it before someone else :P there we go, I'm guilty.

Royce
09-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Hahah I'll admit that I have a lvl 1 archer named bowzo that I never have used. I just thought of the name and figured I'd better get it before someone else :P there we go, I'm guilty.

No saving a name you want is fine. I'm talking about people who have created dozens of separate accounts to hog up dozens of names.

vulgarstrike
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a fourth slot I'm using as a twink right now that I would use to find good names that aren't taken. today my twink "attractive"'s journey began.

Kingofhurtz
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
No saving a name you want is fine. I'm talking about people who have created dozens of separate accounts to hog up dozens of names.

Oh ok =D I'm not guilty!

FluffNStuff
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Need to start snatching up every word and append Hunny- to it. Wonder if HunnyRoyce is taken ...

WoundedEagle
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
So think they'll make the fnord realm again?