PDA

View Full Version : black smoke mountain boss strategies

wvhills
10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi all, let's post the strategies that work against black smoke mountain bosses.

The two bosses I remember off the top of my head are koal and the red dragon.

Koal:
The times I've beat koal we've had 2 thrasher users and the rest had some sort of daily blessing so not much strategy was involved. But what's the deal with his minnions who just stand behind him with their shields? Why are they there? I tried to target them but couldn't and it seems like are set on timers to join the battle at certain intervals. Are they there just to make it harder as the fight goes on or do they serve another purpose?

In another thread samhayne said try leveling up and getting the better gear. Does that mean we should just go in guns blazing and throughing back health pots or is there a better way?

Techno suggested playing as a team, that bears should tank, mages should heal and birds should deal damage. I went in with my bear (in level 70 pink gear) with full buffs and was one shotted before I could even get a combo off.

Red Dragon:
I fought him several times resulting in beating him once and having the party wipe the rest. haha. The difficult thing with the dragon is targetting on him with all the other baddies flying around. Someone said his fire makes switches ur targets and to stay away from the fire. I didn't really get a chance to test it though. I know he has a short leash and staying outside the ring is definitely not a good thing to do.

Please post your ideas here. The devs have given us some cool looking bosses and I hope there is some type of strategy an unpotted team can use to beat them other than to be all thrashed out.

CrimsonTider
10-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Whether they want to admit or not: Elixir = success. The whole tanking "theory" is null and void. As a bear, I cannot maintain aggro when I consistently have the lowest dmg in any group. Taunt either no longer works or has a very short window in which it works.

Also hard to work on strategy when the word "strategy" has become a joke. People run in and blast away and noone discusses anything. But hey, we can run to Magic Castle and call ourselves "elite."

wvhills
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Whether they want to admit or not: Elixir = success. The whole tanking "theory" is null and void. As a bear, I cannot maintain aggro when I consistently have the lowest dmg in any group. Taunt either no longer works or has a very short window in which it works.

Also hard to work on strategy when the word "strategy" has become a joke. People run in and blast away and noone discusses anything. But hey, we can run to Magic Castle and call ourselves "elite."

I agree. So far I don't see a way an unelixired group can win against Koal or red dragon yet. The other boss was the dragona/dragone/dragon series of bosses in dragon net. The good news is they seem pretty easy and straight forward. I was just in a pug with only blessings (no thrashers) and we beat it pretty easy. At least we'll have one boss to farm. I just hope it drops all the pinks and not just helms or armor, etc. I'm trying to be optimistic and believe techno has put in some type of strategy we just need to figure out and hasn't just made koal and red dragon really hard just to sell more elixirs.

Otahaibab
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Meh i will probably do magic castle runs just to get over with it lol..
But i only got 46platinum waiting for mai daily blessings woopwoop

wvhills
10-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Meh i will probably do magic castle runs just to get over with it lol..
But i only got 46platinum waiting for mai daily blessings woopwoop

ok, good luck and thanks for the black smoke mountain boss tip.

FluffNStuff
10-19-2012, 10:37 AM
ok, good luck and thanks for the black smoke mountain boss tip.

XP is crazy just to 75, and thanks to the twinking laws, you can't get the good pinks till you get there. I would LOVE to both farm XP and the bosses at the same time, but the MAN has spoken.

wvhills
10-19-2012, 10:47 AM
XP is crazy just to 75, and thanks to the twinking laws, you can't get the good pinks till you get there. I would LOVE to both farm XP and the bosses at the same time, but the MAN has spoken.

ok, thanks for the boss fighting tips! Lol.

razerfingers
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
The black smoke mountain levels seem that its all about farming and stratgegy. Yeah the xp gain may be bigger than mega maze/magic castle. But... They are more spread out running your lixir useless so 1 4x and 2x weekly and 43 plat got me close to 72 doing mega maze. Im about 500 xp away lol

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

wvhills
10-19-2012, 12:25 PM
The black smoke mountain levels seem that its all about farming and stratgegy. Yeah the xp gain may be bigger than mega maze/magic castle. But... They are more spread out running your lixir useless so 1 4x and 2x weekly and 43 plat got me close to 72 doing mega maze. Im about 500 xp away lol

Ok razer, thanks for the black mountain boss strategies!

razerfingers
10-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Ok razer, thanks for the black mountain boss strategies!

Np anytime. I did first boss and was lixired. But someone said stay in orange bubbles so we kited and when one poped went to another but i ran up and down through all and spammed health pots since im full dex bird l. And didnt die. But the red dragon he keeps wiping my team when we get him halfway non thrasher xP

McBain
10-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I can solo the dragon nest trio of bosses pretty easily with my birdie. With a full party they can be taken out on autopilot. I feel like there's gotta be a catch here, though, like they're "a little too easy" compared to KOAL and the dragon.

KOAL seems a little unpredictable. We had no problem killing him multiple times unelixired yesterday in a group I was running with, but other times, it's been an insta-wipe, even with elixired folks. One thing I've noticed is that people tend to want to hang back by the entrance, perhaps either to avoid the minions inside or they're just being tentative. That doesn't work. All the times we had success, everyone charged fully into the room together. Basically, the "bum rush" technique.

Also mixed results with the dragon, except here the pattern I've noticed is the opposite. It seems it's best to not go fully into the room, but rather stand in the outer ring (the dark red area, as opposed to the main orange-ish area). I'm not sure why this is, or if it's anything at all. Could be just coincidence that it's worked, but it seems to help.

StompArtist
10-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Wait for the nerf.

McBain
10-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Wait for the nerf.

Hopefully that won't happen. No-skill bosses make the game boring. :sleeping:

slaveleia
10-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Pretty good tips...I need em

Chopper
10-20-2012, 01:55 PM
i havent killed either of those bosses yet. I have not been in a party with more than one thrasher so far and we've been killed by the one shot hits.
I'm hoping the Thrashers isn't the only way to win.

But then again, Count Vlod seemed unbeatable for a short time too.

CrimsonTider
10-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Not sure what the deal is with the Red Dragon. Cannot maintain auto on him. Have to continuously select him.

ZHEOTARE
10-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Not sure what the deal is with the Red Dragon. Cannot maintain auto on him. Have to continuously select him.

Shoo... I can't even select him. I just get people to group up, the we all use AOE as much as possible. It does seem easier when we group together next to a wall.

McBain
10-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Successfully killed both KOAL and Red Dragon repeatedly with non-thrasher groups. Thrashers are def not needed for either boss, although they obviously do make it easier.

@ Crimson, difficulty of selecting and not being able to hold target is probably the toughest thing about the dragon. Rather than frantically trying to target him, grouping and going bananas with AOE seems the best strategy at the moment, along the lines of what Zheotare said above.

Chopper
10-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Successfully killed both KOAL and Red Dragon repeatedly with non-thrasher groups. Thrashers are def not needed for either boss, although they obviously do make it easier.

any tips for KOAL?

LwMark
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
edit bcuz crimson

CrimsonTider
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
dragons nest is easy boss killing, just rush all the way to boss an skipp the bad guys

Thanks for the nerf.

wvhills
10-22-2012, 07:57 AM
I've come to the conculsion that, regardless of what techno or sam say, that koal is impossible without elixirs. My bird is level 72 and I switched to str and equipped crusher set. Even with 248 armor and 67 dodge (buffed) I can't get an attack off without being one shotted. You can't even try to figure out a "tell" because it's over so fast.

Red dragon is a little easier, you can bet him if you have 2 elixired mages who take turns revving the party and each other.

Overall I find the maps fun to look at but the bosses aren't fun at all. I know we (myself especially) have been wanting bosses that require strategy but I think it's pretty cheap to make them be able to one shot the whole party (except an elixired bear) and have the strategy be "buy elixirs noobs". The one boss who is easy (the 3 dragon combo) doesn't require you to kill any mobs to get to spawn now we have "elite" people rushing past all the mobs to farm the boss.

As it is we have only 3 measly bosses in this campaign. 1 of which is impossible, 1 extremely difficult and 1 who is easy but you can't get xp for all the people rushing straight to it.

Rare
10-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Strangely, I've had this problem for a while now, even with normal mobs. The auto target has been flaky for me since around Nuri's. Like auto targetting mobs around corners down the hall. Or auto targeting mobs that are outside of my range when there are some right in from of me. Just been dealing with it. Lot of extra screen tapping.

wvhills
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Strangely, I've had this problem for a while now, even with normal mobs. The auto target has been flaky for me since around Nuri's. Like auto targetting mobs around corners down the hall. Or auto targeting mobs that are outside of my range when there are some right in from of me. Just been dealing with it. Lot of extra screen tapping.

I think his fire switches ur autoattack to a different mob. I don't think it's a glitch, I think it's designed like that. I've found that if I stand directly behind him that it's happens A LOT less (but it still does occasionally). Of course, if your a bear then he'll be facing u most of the time so it would be hard to get behind him.

Brave Sir Robin
10-22-2012, 08:35 AM
You lose him when he jumps. When he lands back you have to get him again... very tedious in a mob crowded area. It's a lot easier to target with my mouse (I guess it's a nightmare if you tap, esp on a phone screen :) ). But even with my mouse it might take more than 5 clicks to target him again... After several fights I thought I understood how to do it faster but I was wrong. Fail...

Ruby!!!
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I've come to the conculsion that, regardless of what techno or sam say, that koal is impossible without elixirs. My bird is level 72 and I switched to str and equipped crusher set. Even with 248 armor and 67 dodge (buffed) I can't get an attack off without being one shotted. You can't even try to figure out a "tell" because it's over so fast.

Red dragon is a little easier, you can bet him if you have 2 elixired mages who take turns revving the party and each other.

Overall I find the maps fun to look at but the bosses aren't fun at all. I know we (myself especially) have been wanting bosses that require strategy but I think it's pretty cheap to make them be able to one shot the whole party (except an elixired bear) and have the strategy be "buy elixirs noobs". The one boss who is easy (the 3 dragon combo) doesn't require you to kill any mobs to get to spawn now we have "elite" people rushing past all the mobs to farm the boss.

As it is we have only 3 measly bosses in this campaign. 1 of which is impossible, 1 extremely difficult and 1 who is easy but you can't get xp for all the people rushing straight to it.

I managed to survive red dragon a few times (wand mage no elixirs) but only when someone else got his attention. And even then I didn't do much more than spamming health post and revives. I noticed it helps not to step into the lava holes he leaves.

As for koal I don't know. Full health, full mana, mana shield on and bov doesn't prevent a one shot 10 m away from his circle. -.- I suspected some trick with the shielded guys around him but couldn't find anything.

I hope that someone brighter than me will come up with strategies for those bosses ;)

Of course when at least one in the group is on thrasher it is easy no strategies required.

McBain
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
KOAL can be extremely difficult, yes, but definitely not impossible without elixirs.

wvhills
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
KOAL can be extremely difficult, yes, but definitely not impossible without elixirs.

Before I agree with you I'm going to have to see it. If you can beat him without elixirs please post how you did it.

Fncrazy
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Lmao... Fnelite!

jerzy448
10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
It seems to me that koal is a lot like emma. have beaten him multiple times by kiting with my bird. i move in and out on him. i move in after his blast which is a blue ring coming out.i do a few skills and move back out. while moving back out im potting the whole time.basically formed a circle and kept our distance.

Pakax
10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Koal is a debuff/buff game. Before u go in half ur party should debuff, and weaken/break armor. Then full attack, then the other half should debuff/weaken etc so that he stays like that. Then its a mix of kitting and moving in, coz you have to avoid the circle of death thingy. I havent tried him with my bear tho, can he be stunned?

Red dragon, well that one has ben random for me. As an Int mage, ive kept dying even on elix. Bst strategy was to have at least a mage outside of the fight ready to go in to revive the rest and the other to use ae skills. Bt ive seen that fail as well. Particularly with lower lvls in party (as in below 75)

Multibird
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Red Dragon:
Someone said his fire makes switches ur targets and to stay away from the fire. But what's the deal with his minnions who just stand behind him with their shields?

Yes its true that the dragons fire can switch your target. If you notice there are minions locked up in shield behind the Red dragon just like they appear in Koals surrounding. But when the red dragon fires he breaks his minions shield and lets them free to rush us. I have also noticed a quick way of defeating the red dragon. Simply bring him out the fire circle to safe zone and keep spamming.

Jacobs
10-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Thought I would share some of my Koal fighting experiences. I played a lot during the weekend!! This is what happened. (I am mage, full INT).

--> Day 1: A bit unlucky with the groups, no good bears. My best was with a pally. What we did was let the Pally tank Koal inside while I was waiting outside. When the Pally was dead (he could not take Koal's damage forever) I would put on my Mana shield, get in and revive then go out again until the beast was dead. We also tried to get Koal near the entrance but this was not great because there was no safe place for me to hide. And sometimes a noob with aggro would run away from the cave which would cause Koal to reset. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

--> Day 2: We had a good bear with a combo blessing (I am not sure what exactly but he was going faster so it was a combo. Possibly 3x because he was beast). There was also another mage in the group with bow. Skilled but vulnerable (a bit... :) ). So this time the bear had no problem surviving against Koal. He ended up solo-ing him many times though...

What we could not figure out was when Koal fires his super attack. Is there a visual indication like with Emma or does it happen after some time? I think there is no sound like with Gurgox but I could be wrong.

And what is it with guys and their death stats. We try to find a strategy and they leave :(. If you don't die you don't learn. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! x 2.