PDA

View Full Version : Ichor quest by the numbers: a recap

Fusionstrike
10-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Now that the Blacksmoke expansion is here, I thought I'd take a look back at the now-removed ichor quest and report some numbers that measure what it was like. As a reminder, the ichor quest was for the Blacksmoke preview area, accessible only by level cap players (level 71) until the Blacksmoke expansion came out. Players were asked to collect 500 ichors- drops from the boss on the preview level. It required clearing about 50 fire ward monsters and then killing the Dragonet boss, which would randomly drop either zero or one ichor to each player.

I completed the quest by doing thrasher elixir runs in public games. Almost all runs were with full thrasher teams. Some teams were more effective than others. The shortest time to clear the map was about 1 min 30 sec, with the longest times usually going out to 3 or 4 minutes. This means I completed 20-25 runs per hour on average.

The drop rate of ichors seemed to be about 50% on average. Sometimes I saw higher, sometimes lower, but I could reasonably bank on getting 10-12 ichors per hour. Doing the math, this means the quest required about 45 hours to complete (with an elixir-using party).

The total platinum required to do the quest this way was (for a tier-3 guild member) 36x45 = 1620. The theoretical lowest price to accomplish this method would be all "deal of the day" thrashers at 30 each, for a total of 1350. Paying full price of 40 would have cost 1800.

The preview was released on Sept 7 and ended on Oct 18. This means the quest was available for 40 days total. I completed mine in 10 days, which was an average of 4.5 hours per day, but it turns out that playing for only 1 hour 10 minutes per day would have gotten the job done.

Recap (for full thrasher parties)
Ichor drop rate: 50%
Ichors/hour: 10-12
Time per run (average, all overhead included): 2.5-3 mins
Total play time: 45 hours
Total plat spent: 1350-1620 (for a mixture of "dotd" and "tier-3 guild discount" thrashers)
Total days quest available: 40
Minimum hours/day needed to complete quest: 1.2

Conclusions
It seems like this quest theoretically could have been done without spending any plat on elixirs given that there were 40 days to complete it. I don't have the numbers for a non-thrasher run, but just to estimate it: even if it took 3x as long per run players could play 4 hours per day and still be done in time without a single elixir. However, the quest's end date was not known ahead of time, so in practice I think nobody would have even tried to invest that kind of time without using elixirs because they would have assumed they'd never finish in time. Of course, there are daily blessings in play now, so it could have been significantly shorter if players used those free boosts effectively. (If anyone did complete this quest without spending any plat, please weigh in!)

Nevertheless, I suspect every fire weapon handed out represents a significant amount of plat spent (probably at least 1000 on average). My guess is STS did very well indeed on this preview with the elite weapon reward, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar event again in the future. I'd love to see numbers on how many total completions of this quest there were, but only STS knows that and I doubt they're likely to share.

Energizeric
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
As we had a very long time to complete the quest, I did most of my runs on days where I had a nice daily blessing combo or armor elixir and sometimes I added the 7-plat 2x combo elixir which is less than half the price of the thrasher. So at most I spent around 200-300 plat on this quest.

Sciazaratek
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Me me me ! Done it without any plat.

Here my stats as no-plat spender:

-first 50% (250 ichors) in ~2,5 weeks -got the quest one week "too late"(Means ~10 ichors/a Day
plus last 250 in one weekend (friday noon to Sunday/Monday Night) -Means around 250ichors/35h
-Average Run Time (if no slack) : 4-5min
-means 70x60/4 = ~1050 Runs

Play Time: ~60 hours

Daily Blessing Quote: two 3x Combo , several 1,25x & 1,5 Combos.(which i needed because i did the major tanking most time , beeing faster than the others is always good :P )

I met many people who ran without elixirs aswell (and finished it) , so I'm not alone and it is/was a possible turn ,
Very time-consuming and Hardcore-ish but possible- Personally i also overtook some buddies with 450+ ichors :P

Of course there could be deviations , unless i had to abandon some runs & depends what blessing i was on.

Anyway , very proud that i made it in time (4days before expansion)

Receiving Date : 15th Oct. - 5am (GMT+1)

slaveleia
10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Great analysis...interesting to see the numbers...the way the numbers add up, it seemed like a manageable task but I swear it wasn't as easy as the numbers say. I ran the whole time on elixirs & like u said, 10 ichors/hr is about the average rate. I got the quest finished twice & I'm still licking my wounds from nonstop grinding! I'm having a hard time capping lev 76 because of the after effects lol. I know a few legendary hardcore players who have all 3! Weapons !

I know I dumped a bunch of platinum considering I ran with Shamus Shamrock thrash equipped at least half the time...like some others who did the same, I got more Black Dragon pinks drop because of it. Got like 7 different drops.

Brave Sir Robin
10-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Nice analysis, Fusion. Jay previously posted a cost analysis here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?68859-Effective-Dragonet-Ichor-farming-on-2x-elix&p=777421&viewfull=1#post777421) and it is interesting that he predicts accurately the time required to complete the quest.

He states, however, that you can efficiently do it with 2x elixirs which would cost considerably less, within a range of 469 - 700 plat (btw this is still a lot to me for a weapon that will soon become obsolete :)). Ofc you probably need a dedicated team to farm this way.

gibol1412
10-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I done quest two times without spending platinum.

Fusionstrike
10-21-2012, 10:41 PM
It's interesting to see those of you who maximized the impact of dailies and gold-based elixirs. I wonder if STS did any math like this in designing the quest and how long it would be active. I suspect they didn't and just lucked into the quest being available just long enough to be completed without major plat investment. Of course anyone who wanted more than one weapon was pretty much forced to do it with platinum enhancement to be done in time.

I would have sworn nobody would finish without investing some good amount of platinum just because of the uncertain deadline. Congrats to those who did it.

lilweezy
10-22-2012, 01:05 AM
another question is... was the weapon worth it? do you even still use it?

Rare
10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I also finished the quest without platinum.

The weapon isn't useful to me except that I know I completed it. I still use it once in a while until I get a new Bsm set

Sciazaratek
10-22-2012, 08:10 AM
The xBow has indeed better stats than the Elite Sea Blaster

gibol1412
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
another question is... was the weapon worth it? do you even still use it?
Yes.