PDA

View Full Version : Forum moderators!

KingFu
09-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Guys, we really need forum moderators. As the forums are getting more and more members, the more and more bad apples there are. The devs are getting busier and busier, and I really believe we need forum moderators. People that are trustworthy on forums, and are on a lot, and know right from wrong.

The moderators should have capabilities to lock forums, delete other peoples posts, and ban members. If a moderator bans a member that wasn't appropriate, they will be stripped of their powers. I think we really need this, and we could start off with like 3 or 5 moderators, and grow from there.

Any feedback? Thanks!

RedRyder
09-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Uea mystic i agree. The devs seem to be on hiatus right now tho, im sure theyll sort this mess out and Ban his IP

KingFu
09-07-2010, 01:48 AM
He said, he'll just change his IP, I know it's Laquint, Laquint said he'd just change his IP too, it must be him.

Necrobane
09-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah it sounded just like him.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 01:51 AM
It must be him, but I really think we need forum moderators. I emailed this to spacetime just in case, I also report Laquint shortly before. I just think he's pathetic to have nothing better to do then ruin the forums. I wish he was just all together.

Thelonearcher
09-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Just asked asommers to input a system that alows people who made a thread the power to remove a post from there thread but must say a reason why you've removed a post also. Just my idea

jonboy
09-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Lone, that system would be open to abuse, in 1 mins I've thought of at least three ways to abuse such a system if I was a bad person.

There is only one person I can think of with the integrity to be given moderator status and that would be Royce.

Spiritualist
09-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I too agree, forum moderators are so needed. Many threads also go off-topic very quickly and often are riddled with chat that really has no place in many situations especially as it often detracts from the main topic of conversation. We also need to apply some forum rules to decide what is acceptable or not.

Creation of forum moderators is something that can be done quite simply as I know that vBulletin allows you to have different levels of moderators. So for example, someone can have the ability to lock posts but not delete, etc.

Benemoth
09-07-2010, 02:18 AM
There is only one person I can think of with the integrity to be given moderator status and that would be Royce.

Seconded. 10 chars.

Raxie
09-07-2010, 02:48 AM
i don't think laquint would go this far...

icantgetkills
09-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Who is laquient ?.. Please explain :)

KingFu
09-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Who is laquient ?.. Please explain :)

Trust me, the biggest troll this place has seen.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 04:32 AM

I agree Royce would be perfect, but you'd need more than one. Royce can't be on all the time, and catch every post, so you'd need like 3 or 5 for now.

jonboy
09-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Maybe one with a delete post, ban powers and 3-4 subs with lock thread powers

KingFu
09-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I was thinking 2 with ban, lock, delete, and edit powers, and the other 3 with delete, and lock powers.

jonboy
09-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Lock power is enough that allows them to stop something and leave evidence for those with delete, edu, ban powers to investigate.

Hotndots
09-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Need someone in Europe on to moderate while the devs and Americans are sleeping. Which is what happened this morning with Ao3 being online..
I've been an officer and forum moderator for a much bigger MMO. I wouldn't want to now, just saying that anyone who is responsible and has some sense could do it.

I also think Royce should be a moderator.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm in America, and I was awake lol

Hotndots
09-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I was too at that time when I lived in the states, but a lot of people aren't :)

Raxie
09-07-2010, 07:39 AM
i think this needs to be decided on the 'posts per day' to see which players come on the forums a lot. although, this could be wrong as some members could be on more than the people with a high 'posts per day' but just don't post.
however, i think we need one in each continent so every 'mod' is on at every time.

jonboy
09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Posts per day is not a good idea, there are some people that post alot that I would not let near mod powers with a forty foot pole. ;)

flaimdude
09-07-2010, 08:48 AM
+1 Agree. :)

EDIT: But not by relating anything to post count. Only based on who the devs choose.

King Richie
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Moderators are not needed yet in my opinion !! but soon .. !

Azrael
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I think having forum mods might be a good thing, but knowing this community, in afraid people will treat that position the same as the PL shield, with many players trying/begging to become mods for the sake of status.

If the devs want a mod, they should recruit one without the participation of the community.

Machinima
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
There's only one person corrupting the community and he's banned. I don't think moderators are needed yet. Also most people use there in-game name as there forum name and they don't want to get banned so I don't see moderators coming for quite some time. Possibly a (Super Posters) subscription for like $5.00 a month.

Hotndots
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I think it's time for mods, the person who was banned has more accounts. Who is to say that this won't happen again once the devs are sleeping? =/

FluffNStuff
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
OK, here is my thought on moderators and this will probably make me very unpopular. The issue I see is that moderators are needed, but they should not be allowed to play the game. This is the only way to ensure that they can not use their authority to give themselves an unfair advantage. But if they were no longer playing PL, why would they want to be a forum moderator. A catch 22 with the only solution being an STS employee.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Also, we all know how Laquint said he'll disguise his IP and spoof it so that he can get back on the site. Redryder tells me there's a way for the site to reject people with blocked, and disguised IP.

jonboy
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a much better idea, STS hires an employee to mod the forums this person has full mod powers, then a few people selected by STS are given lock thread powers, any instance of abuse and you lose the lock powers, post count reset and a temp forums/ game ban.

Cascade
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I like jons idea...But would the devs pay this mod? Because I'm sure the devs would like to save as much money as possible

jonboy
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM
If there was some way to link your game account to your forum account they could have a plat item that gives you no powers but some little vanity colour to forum name or in game name if forums/game not linked, that expires after 30 days of purchase, they could then use that additional funds to get the mod.

Rebel
09-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but I've been checking in here often. Anyway, I don't think that now is the time for mods. Yes, there has been the occasional super troll, but nothing too serious has occured yet. I think that the Devs will know when the time comes for the need for Mods.

(And I agree with Royce as a Mod. He is probably one of the most mature people out there with a vast knowledge of the game)

Furrawn
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I have a much better idea, STS hires an employee to mod the forums this person has full mod powers, then a few people selected by STS are given lock thread powers, any instance of abuse and you lose the lock powers, post count reset and a temp forums/ game ban.
I like this- though I wouldn't give the forum members selected by STS even the power to lock threads. IMO, there just needs to be a moderator or dev that they can report to immediately if there's an emergency- which is really rare. The devs nailed the bad guy so there should be time to figure out a good system that doesn't affect the forum...

KingFu
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but I've been checking in here often. Anyway, I don't think that now is the time for mods. Yes, there has been the occasional super troll, but nothing too serious has occured yet. I think that the Devs will know when the time comes for the need for Mods.

Did you miss the person coming on here yesterday named AO3? I would rather not post about it, but I will be happy to message you the details.

Raxie
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
ao3 was posting very unnecessary pictures on this forum.

Rebel
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Did you miss the person coming on here yesterday named AO3? I would rather not post about it, but I will be happy to message you the details.

Guess I missed that. I was up at the lakehouse all weekend and labor day, so I hadn't checked in for a couple of days. Also, I don't need to know the details. I'm guessing that there were just some inapropriate things posted.

KingFu
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Guess I missed that. I was up at the lakehouse all weekend and labor day, so I hadn't checked in for a couple of days. Also, I don't need to know the details. I'm guessing that there were just some inapropriate things posted.

Ya, some things are better unsaid, just wondering if you wanted to know what was up.

Flamin
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
READ!!!
I agree mystic, but mods should only be allowed to ban someone for 24 hours max. Able lock threads made by players and not devs. Able to SOFT DELETE posts.
Also the devs really need to make Samhayne be on the forums at LEAST 3 hours a day.

yesIManoob
09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
hm, would there be an age requirement to be a mod? :D

setec
10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Mods, if added to the forum, should ONLY be STS employees. This way they are accountable to the company and the brand. This isn't a mom and pop forum run by avid fans of PL. This is a company forum. Let the employees run it. Sure, if they need to hire more staff for the forums then great. Is there really a major issue here that we suddenly need mods? I love all the comments about the Devs sleeping. The Devs are working hard on the game we all love. Part of this is the feedback they get from the forums. But they can't spend all their time here. So, if they aren't logged on, it's not like they are sleeping or ignoring us or are lazy. It's because there are more important things to do. The forum is not in any state where we need heavy moderation, especially from player moderators.

Grankledude
10-30-2010, 02:20 PM
2 things. I completely agree AND I would apply when they had that idea lol

KingFu
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Lol, nice point Setec, I agree. What happened to Samhayne? Royce and I were talking about him a while ago. I don't think its any of my business to post a thread. Btw, I'm surprised you guys found this burried thread;)

jonboy
10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Mystical go back three posts from your for the necroer

TwinkTastical
10-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Never will be moderators get over it there's not any good trolls worth banning so until future reference no moderators.

God gave us the gift of grammar.

Kossi
10-30-2010, 05:35 PM
you will be the first of the mods

Justg
10-30-2010, 09:39 PM
People. Stop feeding the trolls. Don't even mention them, they thrive on it. As long as you continue to acknowledge them they will stick around. Report them and Ignore them.