PDA

View Full Version : Don't call Noobs "Noob"

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
For some who are noobs don't like to be called noob. So don't because it is trolling. DO NOT call Others NOOB!

And Here are several reasons why you should not call someone a noob

Calling someone a noob

• Can silently anger someone
• Is just not nice
• Is not cool to do
• Can Start flame wars

It's not pro to call someone a noob, pro means professional, calling someone a noob is unprofessional.

So do not call the new players noob even if your joking they may not think its so funny

KingFu
10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
You're calling noob a racial slur? I wonder what you're like when someone uses an actual insult towards you...

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:13 AM
You're calling noob a racial slur? I wonder what you're like when someone uses an actual insult towards you...

I always thought being called a name in a video game was pretty on par with being oppressed IRL.

Noodleleg
10-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Racial slur....? Joke? You don't know racism, then...

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:20 AM
My point is calling someone a noob can make them mad, it's like saying your better then someone else, like even though you maby are it no need to use that hateful word. Some people can handle it, but those who can't like me will get mad and make threads about it, so its best not to call someone a noob unless your calling yourself one.

cookiez
10-26-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm the noob

MightyMicah
10-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm a noob :D

Noodleleg
10-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Okay, I get your point... just telling you racist is having fat jerks tell you Konichiwa and asking why you can't open your eyes... sad thing is... they're the nubs that can't past gym.

KingFu
My point is calling someone a noob can make them mad, it's like saying your better then someone else, like even though you maby are it no need to use that hateful word. Some people can handle it, but those who can't like me will get mad and make threads about it, so its best not to call someone a noob unless your calling yourself one.

If it makes you mad, that's your problem, to be quite frank. It's not a "hateful word", it doesn't even have a true meaning anymore. It used to refer to an inexperienced player, now, people just use it as an insult against anyone. I can guarantee you almost every player on forums has been called a noob, it's a commonly used word that gets thrown at anyone who upsets someone else. Calm down pls.

YeaHaHa
It doesn't say anything about that it"s a racial slur, It says it is a form of trolling. Unless again your calling yourself one.

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:33 AM
It doesn't say anything about that it"s a racial slur, It says it is a form of trolling. Unless again your calling yourself one.

Luckily nobody quoted your original post. I think everyone gets what you're saying. They are just pointing out that you took it too far.

KingFu
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Luckily nobody quoted your original post. I think everyone gets what you're saying. They are just pointing out that you took it too far.

I don't. I can't understand why noob can be considered insulting...or 95% of the other insults made in game. Unless the person knows you on a personal level and attacks you, they're either meaningless words (ie noob), or false assumptions (70 year old virgin living in your mothers basement waiting for your pizza to be delivered).

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
If it makes you mad, that's your problem, to be quite frank. It's not a "hateful word", it doesn't even have a true meaning anymore. It used to refer to an inexperienced player, now, people just use it as an insult against anyone. I can guarantee you almost every player on forums has been called a noob, it's a commonly used word that gets thrown at anyone who upsets someone else. Calm down pls.

As I said above some people are fine with it and some people get mad. If you were called noob on your first day by every 76 you wouldnt be so cool with the word either. But no sense in trying to explain it to you, your pro and havent been a "inexperinced" player for a long time. So you not going to know ho being called a noob feels to the actual inexperienced players

*Zero*
10-26-2012, 08:42 AM
For some who are noobs don't like to be called noob. So don't because it is trolling. DO NOT call Others NOOB!

Noobs are Noobs its the nature of the beast. Level up get to know the game then and only then can you graduate to Nub.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 08:44 AM
YeaHaHa, ur a noob.

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't. I can't understand why noob can be considered insulting...or 95% of the other insults made in game. Unless the person knows you on a personal level and attacks you, they're either meaningless words (ie noob), or false assumptions (70 year old virgin living in your mothers basement waiting for your pizza to be delivered).

Well, meaningless or not, nobody likes to be disrespected. Whether in real life or not... I can understand that. Not saying it bothers me when someone says it to me, but I can see how it would for some people. I agree, people shouldn't let it bother them. Then again, not everyone on PL is an adult and not everyone has the same level of maturity that adults do.

Edit: That "most" adults do :)

KingFu
10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
As I said above some people are fine with it and some people get mad. If you were called noob on your first day by every 76 you wouldnt be so cool with the word either. But no sense in trying to explain it to you, your pro and havent been a "inexperinced" player for a long time. So you not going to know ho being called a noob feels to the actual inexperienced players

I've been called a noob in other games when I just started out (OnC for example). Either accept and live up to it, or use it as motivation to become more experienced. Their goal in calling you a noob is to make you mad and want to quit, so why give them the satisfaction in knowing it worked?

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Saying the word Noob is the way of putting it like your better then someone, when there are far more nicer words to call someone a noob like "inexperinced" or "New guy". Saying noob is just a mean way of putting it

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I've been called a noob in other games when I just started out (OnC for example). Either accept and live up to it, or use it as motivation to become more experienced. Their goal in calling you a noob is to make you mad and want to quit, so why give them the satisfaction in knowing it worked?

And that is why I am saying don't do it. SOME PEOPLES are fine with it Like you are and SOME ARENT LIKE MEE

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Saying the word Noob is the way of putting it like your better then someone, when there are far more nicer words to call someone a noob like "inexperinced" or "New guy". Saying noob is just a mean way of putting it

If that's what you're looking for... good luck. Noob is so much easier to type and more effective than "relatively new player to pocket legends."

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM

N00bz.

KingFu
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
YeaHaHa, ur a noob.

Please keep your trolling somewhat original.

Noob is a shorter way of saying it...Noob isn't even the correct term. A noob is an inexperienced player that should know better, and is unwilling to listen or learn about the game. A newb is someone just starting out in a game, short for a new player.

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
If that's what you're looking for... good luck. Noob is so much easier to type and more effective than "relatively new player to pocket legends."

Yes it's a more affective way to bring someone down. Your not getting it, your just like mysticaldream so I can't explain it to you

Spectre
10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Word "Noob" is not offensive word for me. If it sounds offensive for some people, they can just simply mute person who called them like that. Not a big deal.
Well i agree with Myst, absolutely right as usually.

Myself i only use this word when I'm joking, never used this word to hurt someone. But yeah, still better to not call other "Noobs", just have respect to other people and be nice, that's all! :D

Fncrazy
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Noobs :p

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Yes it's a more affective way to bring someone down. Your not getting it, your just like mysticaldream so I can't explain it to you

Lol. No... YOU aren't getting it. The reason people call people Noobs IS TO BRING THEM DOWN. So in that sense, its very affective, as evidence of this thread. Do you see what I'm saying? Someone that calls someone a noob isn't going to say "hey new player, stop running ahead"

Pakax
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I think every MMO forum has a thread like this. I also think everyone agrees that it's prob better not to call someone a noob. But some times, it's just easier - no disrespect tho :-)

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Lol what is this thread? C'mon, we're all noobs. Noobs rock! Noobs.

Rare
10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
I think every MMO forum has a thread like this. I also think everyone agrees that it's prob better not to call someone a noob. But some times, it's just easier - no disrespect tho :-)

Ohhhhhhhh the obligatory "No offense... BUT" :biggrin:

KingFu
10-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Also, a lot if people are practically asking to be called a noob. They could be begging, rushing in pvp, raging on a 76 for not selling them a red dragon armor for 600 gold. Not saying you are, but in those instances, it's a well earned name.

Spectre
10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Also, a lot if people are practically asking to be called a noob. They could be begging, rushing in pvp, raging on a 76 for not selling them a red dragon armor for 600 gold. Not saying you are, but in those instances, it's a well earned name.

Lmao! True dat!

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:04 AM

ROFL. the thanks fairy wishes it had more thanks today.

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Lol. No... YOU aren't getting it. The reason people call people Noobs IS TO BRING THEM DOWN. So in that sense, its very affective, as evidence of this thread. Do you see what I'm saying? Someone that calls someone a noob isn't going to say "hey pro, stop running ahead"

There, thats the way to call someone a noob without actually saying it. Its nicer and it sounds right. Saying "Hey noob stop running ahead" will make someone want to keep running ahead

KingFu
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
There, thats the way to call someone a noob without actually saying it. Its nicer and it sounds right. Saying "Hey noob stop running ahead" will make someone want to keep running ahead

And they all lived happily ever after in their gumdrop castle...

Seriously, it's not gonna change. Just learn to deal it.

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Just ignore the beggers, and teach the beginners not to rush. Saying the word "noob" can escalate things see my point

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Ok. Well hopefully those who call others noobs a lot will read this and change their ways. Case closed.

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
See mysticaldream your not getting it, or either you are and just like to debate. But calling someone a noob is uneccsary, when you can simply avoid using that word. It's ok to call your friends or yourself a noob but not a random inexpercienced player that you do not know

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Ok. Well hopefully those who call others noobs a lot will read this and change their ways. Case closed.

It would help if anyone sees someone calling someone else a noob ( in the mean way ) to report and tell them that you did

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
The title is hypocritical. Its like saying "Dont call absolute control freaks 'absolute control freaks'"

Pakax
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Ohhhhhhhh the obligatory "No offense... BUT" :biggrin:

lol... dang, got me...

Griffinfan
10-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Everyone knows, Griffinfan IS the definition of a "Noob"

YeaHaHa, ur a noob.
Was that necessary?

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7044/oprahbees.gif

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
The title is hypocritical. Its like saying "Dont call absolute control freaks 'absolute control freaks'"

Theres always a nicer way to say things. Putting it like that is showing that your frustated or mad and want to emotially hurt the other guy

KingFu
10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Stomp has already closed the case. Listen pls.

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Imma sit down.
http://i.imgur.com/JdpYT.gif

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
It would help if anyone sees someone calling someone else a noob ( in the mean way ) to report and tell them that you did

You can always report them and sts will investigate. If you tell them that you did you are probably opening yourself to even more name calling.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM
"Don't call noobs 'Noob' " Huh?
So don't call Forums "forums"?

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Y'all are noobs in my eyes.

http://imgur.com/RHuHq.gif

KingFu
10-26-2012, 09:29 AM

It would be nicer to call them "a message board consisting of threads relating to various topics".

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I may have run out of GIFs

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:30 AM
You can always report them and sts will investigate. If you tell them that you did you are probably opening yourself to even more name calling.

In which case he'll be banned, falling for a obvious trap. Telling someone you reported them does more good then it does bad. Either they will stop or they continue and possbibly be banned.

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
In which case he'll be banned, falling for a obvious trap. Telling someone you reported them does more good then it does bad. Either they will stop or they continue and possbibly be banned.

Well that settles that!

Garzoth
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7044/oprahbees.gif

I died laughing. Thank you, good sir, for that.

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I died laughing. Thank you, good sir, for that.

Naw prawblem sport

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I may have run out of GIFs

Found one

http://gifsoup.com/view3/2973856/jake-laughing-o.gif

Matutd
10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
You do know that threads like these open you up to even more name calling right? They see that it gets to you, and so they'll use it against you. These people are TRYING to offend you. It's like getting into a fight with someone and them saying, "please refrain from talking or my hand will clench and possibly raise to your head in order to hurt you, as you are not impressing me at this present moment", they aren't going to do that they're going to tell you "shut up or I'll punch you in the face, you're annoying me".

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Calling someone a noob is a way to bring someone down or hurt ones feelings. Calling forums the forums, isn't a way to hurt someone or bring them down it's a "thing" not a "person".

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/peelsterjava1/photos/For%20The%20Codes/Smack%20Noob.gif

Noodleleg
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Helping noobs is good karma... no moar helpeeng woop woop! Or... aw.... :(

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Helping noobs is good karma... no moar helpeeng woop woop! Or... aw.... :(

http://www.animateit.net/data/media/august2009/starship-troopers-noob.gif

Rare
10-26-2012, 09:39 AM
rushing in pvp,

That makes you a noob?

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
You do know that threads like these open you up to even more name calling right? They see that it gets to you, and so they'll use it against you. These people are TRYING to offend you. It's like getting into a fight with someone and them saying, "please refrain from talking or my hand will clench and possibly raise to your head in order to hurt you, as you are not impressing me at this present moment", they aren't going to do that they're going to tell you "shut up or I'll punch you in the face, you're annoying me".

Real life and the internet is different. They can't be compared. Theres trolling where you can mentally hurt someone and theres bullying where you can physically hurt someone.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
It would be nicer to call them "a message board consisting of threads relating to various topics".

XD out of thanks

Rare
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Yeah like how it wastes sts's time from finding real offenders

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Calling someone a noob is a way to bring someone down or hurt ones feelings. Calling forums the forums, isn't a way to hurt someone or bring them down it's a "thing" not a "person".

Ok so don't call pros "pro" ? Or don't call YeaHaHa "YeaHaHa" ?

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I feel like saying "toughen up" but I guess that would be mean.

Disko
10-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Agreed, OP... Generally when someone says it they are intending to be mean/hurtful, and pointing a finger for their own and their friends amusement. And its usually without decent cause (ie someone's first time on a map, they don't know the "trick" needed to beat the boss, etc). Luckily, I see far more PL players who are patient or helpful (up to a point!) rather than annoying elitists who use that word...

I do think it would be amazing if sts decided to autocorrect "noob" to say "relatively new player" OR make it a muting offense! I've been muted for far sillier, more harmless words than that!

-Diskonewb

Dalinuel
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
noob 

Someone that completely and utterly sucks at what they are doing. This can range from cooking food, to playing pocket legends or other games.

The word noob should NOT be used with the word "newb" or "newbie." These words have completely different definitions and meanings to them, which will be explained next.

A newb is someone that is new to what they are doing. This can range from having a new job, making burgers at McDonalds, to playing Call of Duty 4 for the first time.

A noob is always mistaken in many different ways of forms by several people. Below is a list compiled of several different actions a noob would do, so people will not mistake someone for a noob again. These are just a few examples of what a noob would do, but not all of them.

TYPE IN ALL CAPS
kill his own teammates on accident Type in bright colors
Play on an easy difficulty setting State the obvious (Ex: Our flag has been taken!)
Sing, when they suck at it.
Type random letters
Spam you with messages
Have more deaths than kills
Lose at any game (Ex: Halo, Chess, Checkers, Counter-Strike)
Lose repeatedly
Get owned by the same guy repeatedly

From Urban Dictionary ;-)

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
So everyones cheering on calling people noobs? There are hundreds of nicer words to avoid using that word. Some of you are just trolling

Rare
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I feel like saying "man up" but I guess that would be mean.

That's sexist. Wait did I offend you?

Brave Sir Robin
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
There are two type of 'noobs'. 'Regular noobs' and 'pro noobs'. So 'regular noobs' are just new players. Nothing wrong with that, they will learn eventually.

'Pro noobs' on the other hand are a different case. Just because they hit L.76 (in magic castle), they think it's pro to kill low levels with their Sea Blasters, rush mobs with their pro crafted set (and die), farm like pros in low level dungeons killing bosses before low levels enter the boss room. I have found that these are the ones who mostly use the word 'noob' as an insult towards lower lvl players. Because they are pro now. Well yeah, pro noobs.

So next time someone calls you a 'noob' don't be insulted, as it comes from a pro... a 'pro noob'.

Rare
10-26-2012, 09:47 AM
So everyones cheering on calling people noobs? There are hundreds of nicer words to avoid using that word. Some of you are just trolling

Nobody is cheering. Just saying "deal with it". Trust me life is going to be a lot tougher than someone calling you noob in a mobile game.

Astrocat

So i'm trolling myself? I'm a noob. Dayum!

YeaHaHa
Ok so don't call pros "pro" ? Or don't call YeaHaHa "YeaHaHa" ?

That is way different those words arent used to hurt someone. Noob is a just the mean way of puttung something

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:48 AM
That is way different those words arent used to hurt someone. Noob is a just the mean way of puttung something

Noooooo it's nooooot.

StompArtist
That's sexist. Wait did I offend you?

Fixed

Rare
noob 

Someone that completely and utterly sucks at what they are doing. This can range from cooking food, to playing pocket legends or other games.

I am a "sucking noob"

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
So i'm trolling myself? I'm a noob. Dayum!

No your not trolling yourself unless you put it that way. Calling yourself a noob does no harm to anyone See what I am Saying?!

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I am a "sucking noob"

aaah... how I miss the days when we could put quotes in signatures.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:52 AM
No your not trolling yourself unless you put it that way. Calling yourself a noob does no harm to anyone See what I am Saying?!

Noob is not offensive. You do realise it's a game, right? Even if some players call you or insult you with the worst words ever, why would you care? It's virtual, you don't know them in real life, and inside you, you know their wrong and they try to annoy you. If it does annoy you, then your the "noob" here since you can't resist to a virtual word. See what i'm saying?!

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Was that necessary?
Yup.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Yup.

No it wasn't.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 09:59 AM
No it wasn't.

It was. :)

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
If a White guy walked up to a mexican your not going to address him by saying "Hey mexican" your going to say "Excuse me sir" or "Hey dude". You should treat a new player how you would like to be treated, if everyone treated you like a noob your going to have a problem

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
If a White guy walked up to a mexican your not going to address him by saying "Hey mexican" your going to say "Excuse me sir" or "Hey dude". You should treat a new player how you would like to be treated, if everyone treated you like a noob your going to have a problem

That's way different. lmao! Ty for the laugh!

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Could always say "you there! in the sombrero!"... Seriously you can't possible compare racial discrimination with being called a "noob" in a video game...

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
YeaHaHa what's your IGN? Need to tell you something with 4 letters IG.........jk lol

wvhills
10-26-2012, 10:04 AM
i not noobz, i bes burd

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Could always say "you there! in the sombrero!"... Seriously you can't possible compare racial discrimination with being called a "noob" in a video game...

True.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
i not noobz, i bes burd

lol

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Those that think calling a noob a noob is ok, I can come up with a trillion of reasons of to why it's not a cool thing to do

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Those that think calling a noob a noob is ok, I can come up with a trillion of reasons of to why it's not a cool thing to do

Please post list. TY.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
It was. :)

Aight then :).

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Even in video games like mmorpg games where you can chat, people still have feelings

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
YeaHaHa get over it and go have a drink, relaaaax.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Post that list plz. Ty.

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Please post list. TY.

Ok editing my original post now of to why not call new players noob

Dalinuel
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I call alot of peeps noob doesn't mean im putting thier play style down. It is to me just like saying whats up! so dont be offended by a baseless word there is alot worse things to worry about like... To kill the witch or not kill the witch now that is the question!

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM

U said trillion of reasons. If i don't see trillions of reasons i'll jump out of the window. :)

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
http://applejack.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/135094057914.gif

Growwle
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Racial slur....? Joke? You don't know racism, then...

It seems like there are many people who don't understand what the word "racism" is. There is no "noob" "race". I suggest that everyone should look up the word "racism" in a reputable dictionary, or encyclopaedia.

FluffNStuff
10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
May I ask what the original situation was that you were called a noob. Like what was happening at the time. Perhaps if we had all the facts, we could all come to a decision on how you should have been addressed. Then we could vote on it, and that would settle the issue.

StompArtist
It seems like there are many people who don't understand what the word "racism" is. There is no "noob" "race". I suggest that everyone should look up the word "racism" in a reputable dictionary, or encyclopaedia.

Not the most reputable but should be able to clarify the difference between racism and noobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noob

Astrocat
U said trillion of reasons. If i don't see trillions of reasons i'll jump out of the window. :)

Please don't? I'll miss you..

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Please don't? I'll miss you..
U don't know which window i meant. I meant the cellar window. ._.

Dalinuel
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:32 AM

lol

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
U don't know which window i meant. I meant the cellar window. ._.

Oh, then jump! Lol.
Between, that thread is ridiculous, we're like all arguing for a single and funny word NOOB. I'll never stop calling people NOOBS since they don't care and some does even like it (like me) so YeaHaHa just relax and take it as a compliment and that those people calling you ''Noob'', just think they care about you since they take the time to type in ''Noob'' for you! I'm just messin'.

Drizzid
10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
If this is actually an issue for you, maybe online games aren't your thing. I can guarantee the word noob isn't going anywhere, so you'd might as well learn to accept it. I wonder how you would react if you were actually ridiculed/made fun of/harassed/discriminated against.

Do yourself a favor and stop comparing 'noob' to racism. That's even more ignorant than comparing PL to communism, which has happened, and you should give your head a shake.

Making this comparison you're actually making light of racism and the struggle generations of people have suffered through. You're being more inconsiderate than those who call you a noob, so why don't you think long and hard about that, ya noob.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh, then jump! Lol.
Between, that thread is ridiculous, we're like all arguing for a single and funny word NOOB. I'll never stop calling people NOOBS since they don't care and some does even like it (like me) so YeaHaHa just relax and take it as a compliment and that those people calling you ''Noob'', just think they care about you since they take the time to type in ''Noob'' for you! I'm just messin'.
I will. ._. And you really like it get called a noob, noobcat? ;)

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM

@#!?@! I'll make that as my new IGN! Noobcat is gonna @#!#?! pwn y'all! ;D

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM

She does, my dear Airnoob

Pakax
10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Perhaps to get this thread closed, we should just start listing all the noobs we know. I will start:

Pakax

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Perhaps to get this thread closed, we should just start listing all the noobs we know. I will start:

Pakax

Yeah. Same person. :D

Dalinuel
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Every one in COT a bunch of noobs! And we proud of it!

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Pakax

Let's do it:

-StompArtist ( StompNoob )
-Airboom ( AirNoob )
-Astrocat ( AstroNoob )

Matutd
10-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Real life and the internet is different. They can't be compared. Theres trolling where you can mentally hurt someone and theres bullying where you can physically hurt someone.
Exactly, they're completely different. If you get offended by somebody on the Internet, who knows nothing about you, calling you names you're either very insecure or 5 years old.

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Let's do it:

-StompArtist ( StompNoob )
-Airboom ( AirNoob )
-Astrocat ( AstroNoob )

I am not a Noob! I am pro, I bought plat!

Matutd
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Me thinks OP got called a noob one too many times in game. It's obvious he is white and under the age of 15 because he has absoloutely no idea what could be considered racism lol.

If this is actually an issue for you, maybe online games aren't your thing. I can guarantee the word noob isn't going anywhere, so you'd might as well learn to accept it. I wonder how you would react if you were actually ridiculed/made fun of/harassed/discriminated against.

Do yourself a favor and stop comparing 'noob' to racism. That's even more ignorant than comparing PL to communism, which has happened, and you should give your head a shake.

Making this comparison you're actually making light of racism and the struggle generations of people have suffered through. You're being more inconsiderate than those who call you a noob, so why don't you think long and hard about that, ya noob.
You seem to know a lot about racism, yet you didn't realise that this post was racist?

Rare
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Pakax

Frostyo

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I am not a Noob! I am pro, I bought plat!

tsk tsk, plat user eh?! Noob!

Rare
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Every one in COT a bunch of noobs! And we proud of it!

You noobs are cool

RedStapler
10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Hey everyone,

1. Calling people "noob" isn't cool. Please don't do it, especially if a person has asked to not be called that.

2. Comparing being called "noob" to racism is bad rhetoric. You probably don't want to do that.

3. Using the word "noob" can still be a part of internet harassment, which is a serious problem.

In conclusion: Don't call people things they don't want to be called. Don't be a jerk. Use the mute or ignore buttons if people are being jerks.

Have fun; don't get in the way of others' fun.

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone,

1. Calling people "noob" isn't cool. Please don't do it, especially if a person has asked to not be called that.

2. Comparing being called "noob" to racism is bad rhetoric. You probably don't want to do that.

3. Using the word "noob" can still be a part of internet harassment, which is a serious problem.

In conclusion: Don't call people things they don't want to be called. Don't be a jerk. Use the mute or ignore buttons if people are being jerks.

Well folks. We've just been stapled.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
@#!?@! I'll make that as my new IGN! Noobcat is gonna @#!#?! pwn y'all! ;D

lmao

KingFu
10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey everyone,

Tempted to call you a noob for posting this, but I haven't seen you on forums enough to know how easily you ban people...

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Tempted to call you a noob for posting this, but I haven't seen you on forums enough to know how easily you ban people...

ban'd

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Well folks. We've just been stapled.

._.

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Pro Noob Stats:

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey everyone,

See someone gets it case closed

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
And theres my reasons in my it's not a trillion but several

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Why did you say that.. you may have problems now :(...

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Calling some ppl a noob atm. How about you? jk lol

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Nah. Moderator is moderating is all. ;)

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Calling some ppl a noob atm. How about you? jk lol

Same here'

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Nah. Moderator is moderating is all. ;)

+1 ? :p

KingFu
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM

It's his job to "get it"

Rare
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I already got it. In all honestly, I was trying to help you out.

Think about it this way... its more likely that you can fix the problem by letting is slide off you than to get every noob caller out there to stop.

noperly22
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
aww did someone get called a noob? haha dont get butt hurt and play the game :D Thanks

Drizzid
10-26-2012, 11:30 AM
You seem to know a lot about racism, yet you didn't realise that this post was racist?

The post wasn't racist. Using deduction I made an educated assumption that since OP has no idea what it's like to be a minority (obviously) chances are he is a white man. I didn't call him cracker, or honkey I think you're being a little too sensitive. Not being racist is the new racism.

Did you even read the entire post or just the first sentence and post your irrelevant reply?

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
This is getting pretty stupid

ArtofWar
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM

oh yeah

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Just now?

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Just now?

I mean the post from Yeeaahhahahahah

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
The post wasn't racist. Using deduction I made an educated assumption that since OP has no idea what it's like to be a minority (obviously) chances are he is a white man. I didn't call him cracker, or honkey I think you're being a little too sensitive. Not being racist is the new racism.

Did you even read the entire post or just the first sentence and post your irrelevant reply?

Now wait... I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree.

The assumption you made is that he's an American. If he were from an African country, his misunderstanding of racism might strongly imply that he is black. Because racism is when a majority race treats a minority race as second class citizens. So, for instance, if he is Asian in America he would know racism from experience and not misuse the word, but if he's Asia from Asia, well then it depends on if he's from China itself or the southern regions, because that's what racism is to them.

So while I agree that the misuse of the word leads me to guess that he is from an area where his race is in the majority, because this is an international game we can't assume that means he's any particular race.

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 11:49 AM

The assumption you made is that he's an American. If he were from an African country, his misunderstanding of racism might strongly imply that he is black. Because racism is when a majority race treats a minority race as second class citizens. So, for instance, if he is Asian in America he would know racism from experience and not misuse the word, but if he's Asia from Asia, well then it depends on if he's from China itself or the southern regions, because that's what racism is to them.

So white I agree that the misuse of the word leads me to assume he is from an area where his race is in the majority, because this is an international game we can't assume that means he's any particular race.

Says the Vulcan.

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I hate it when he quotes me so fast my typos aren't fixed yet! :p

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
I hate it when he quotes me so fast my typos aren't fixed yet! :p

Actually it could be argued that the simple act of separating humans into distinct racial/ethnic groups with specific steretypical features could be a form unconscious racism... but that is way off-topic. lol

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

A trillion eh?

• Can silently anger someone
• Is just not nice
• Is not cool to do
• Can Start flame wars

Superduper
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Noob...lol

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Ok let's all calm down, plug some big fat bass in ya computa, or some big fat earphones in ya ears, then eat that tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiF_ymwrFfs

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Actually it could be argued that the simple act of separating humans into distinct racial/ethnic groups with specific steretypical features could be a form unconscious racism... but that is way off-topic. lol

In separating birds into species versus races, the dividing line is whether they can breed effectively (meaning their children can get pregnant). For instance, it used to be believed that the Baltimore Oriole was a different species from the Northern Oriole, but they were seen to breed effectively and that is why Peterson's Field Guide now lists the Baltimore as a race. Which leads to the next obviously rabbit trail, the concept of marriage taboos in primitive societies...

YeaHaHa
10-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I was just stateing you shouldnt call people noob because its not nice if you say it in a not nice way. I seen guys in forest haven calling people noobs and thought I make a thread. I'm a Level 76

Matutd
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Read the post. The first part was racist.

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I was just stateing you shouldnt call people noob because its not nice if you say it in a not nice way. I seen guys in forest haven calling people noobs and thought I make a thread. I'm a Level 76

I agree. I don't like to use that word. It's a put down.

StompArtist

Don't worry about it. Forums tend to give peeps a hard time. ;)

Astrocat

LOL! Making a thread because you saw someone say ''Noob'' in towne?
Guys careful and get ready to get thread-spammed!!

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Read the post. The first part was racist.

Mat, it's not enough to repeat yourself. I disagree and to convince me you'll need to explain your statement, not just tell us to read it again. We've all read it. :) He assumed the guy was not a minority because he seems to not know what racism is. That's a reasonable assumption.

edit: he also said "probably" which allows for the possibility of a minority who has been fortunate to not experience oppression.

Matutd
10-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Mat, it's not enough to repeat yourself. I disagree and to convince me you'll need to explain your statement, not just tell us to read it again. We've all read it. :)
But I want to be lazy.
Ok, I'll try but I have a week off college, I'm allowed to be lazy until I'm back again next week. Assuming somebody is of a certain race, ethnicity or skin colour by actions is racist. Using an example here, and no, I don't think this is right to do, but if somebody told me their bike was stolen, am I right to assume it was a black guy? Because white people aren't thieves? It's wrong to judge any bodies ethnicity by the way they act. Am i right to assume all terrorists are Muslims? No! I wouldn't assume any of these things just because it's stereotypical. That is all, I'm too lazy to elaborate further.

dudetus
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
The title of this thread says it all:

"Don't call noobs Noob"

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
That is all, I'm too lazy to elaborate further.

You must be... oh no wait... that would be a bad joke. :P

Matutd
10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Now I'm curious, om me if it's too harsh for forums. I'm not easily offended so I won't care about it.

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
The title of this thread says it all:

"Don't call noobs Noob"

How are you such a beast

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Some more babes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0FH6-a17w

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 12:41 PM
But I want to be lazy.
Ok, I'll try but I have a week off college, I'm allowed to be lazy until I'm back again next week. Assuming somebody is of a certain race, ethnicity or skin colour by actions is racist. Using an example here, and no, I don't think this is right to do, but if somebody told me their bike was stolen, am I right to assume it was a black guy? Because white people aren't thieves? It's wrong to judge any bodies ethnicity by the way they act. Am i right to assume all terrorists are Muslims? No! I wouldn't assume any of these things just because it's stereotypical. That is all, I'm too lazy to elaborate further.

OK, so here's where I see that logic failing. Each statement is correct to some extend, but they don't follow each other. He assumed someone was NOT A MINORITY and made the additional possibly incorrect assumption that the person was from an area where the majority has almost no skin pigmentation. But that is not racism. Racism is when rights are deprived from minorities based on race. To assume someone is not a minority is not a means of depriving them of rights. By misusing the word racism, I can reasonably assume you have no personal experience with racism. But I can not assume your race, only that you are probably not a minority in your country.

BodMaster
10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I still love how people think it used to mean "inexperienced".

The actual meaning was to call out a player that has the experience, but chooses not to use it and doesn't listen to what they've been told, or is just usless in general. Basically someone who chooses not to learn, and keeps making the same mistakes. If you were a n00b back then in any game, it was a bad thing as you would never get a run. (Forever marked)

These days the name has lost it's meaning, and people get it mixed up with the word "Newb" = Newbie. Inexperienced player due to being new at something, but is willing to learn the ropes and become better.

Either way getting rialled up over a name used over the internet is pretty silly, and the more you oppose that you will just be attacked further as people know it winds you up. The worst thing you could of done is make a thread about your "weakness" now they know where to hit to get a rise out of you.

It's sad, but this is the the interweb and the world we live in today.

P.S. @ Racial Slurr... LOL

Matutd
10-26-2012, 12:53 PM
OK, so here's where I see that logic failing. Each statement is correct to some extend, but they don't follow each other. He assumed someone was NOT A MINORITY and made the additional possibly incorrect assumption that the person was from an area where the majority has almost no skin pigmentation. But that is not racism. Racism is when rights are deprived from minorities based on race. To assume someone is not a minority is not a means of depriving them of rights. By misusing the word racism, I can reasonably assume you have no personal experience with racism. But I can not assume your race, only that you are probably not a minority in your country.
Are you doing this to make me keep typing intellectual things? :p If it's only when rights are deprived, why are certain words racist. Nobody deprived them of any rights, just used an offensive word. So why are those words racist and others just bad? I'll admit, I've never been racially offended, and honestly apart from jokes I hear and certain words I've never really seen anybody be racist. But still, by assuming somebody is white, that's as racist as calling somebody a racist word. Why can't black people be the majority? Why does it have to be white people? I know many places near me in which the majority of them are of a different ethnicity. Plus, I'm not sure about how racism works in the USA, but here in the UK the whole racism thing has got way too out of hand, to the point that whites are slowly becoming a minority regarding rights.

Drizzid
10-26-2012, 12:53 PM
But I want to be lazy.

Did you just compare ones personal experience and knowledge of racism, oppression and discrimination to assuming the person who stole my bike is black, and that all terrorists are Muslim?

You're reaching a bit my man, and if you want to consider my first post racist that's your own understanding, and that's fine. I merely deduced, with the information I was given, that the OP is not a minority and, through that, determined he was probably white; that's it. I completely agree with snakeapeare, in that I didn't take into account that a race considered to be a minority in one country, is the majority in another and for that I admit I overstepped.

Your examples are of stereotypical racism, and are the most overused non-sensical examples out there. It's almost as ludicrous as calling your teacher a nazi after handing out homework.

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
You can use a word, like tomato, as an insult. It's all in how you say it. The act of hurling it as an insult is the bullying. Some bullying is done on gender lines, some on racial lines. Bullying is oppression. So that's why offensive words are racist. Because to say them in that way is to oppress someone, to treat them as second class.

You can also use the same word, like noob, as a term of endearment, fwiw.

dudetus
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
How are you such a beast

Don't know actually. Maybe 'cause I am a Ninja ;).

Could ya'll just relax and let Sam do his magic work and we can all get back to our regular forum policing.

Matutd
10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Did you just compare ones personal experience and knowledge of racism, oppression and discrimination to assuming the person who stole my bike is black, and that all terrorists are Muslim?

You're reaching a bit my man, and if you want to consider my first post racist that's your own understanding, and that's fine. I merely deduced, with the information I was given, that the OP is not a minority and, through that, determined he was probably white; that's it. I completely agree with snakeapeare, in that I didn't take into account that a race considered to be a minority in one country, is the majority in another and for that I admit I overstepped.

Your examples are of stereotypical racism, and are the most overused non-sensical examples out there. It's almost as ludicrous as calling your teacher a nazi after handing out homework.
Firstly, thanks for the laugh, the last sentence made me giggle :). And secondly, how was I to know about any bodies personal issues including racism? Yes, some forms of racism are more severe than others, but making stereotypical remarks about ethnicity is still racist, even if it isn't as severe as killing people due to their race etc. Here, a remark like those stereotypical ones that I used would probably land you a fine and a criminal record, if someone was sensitive enough to take legal action.

Matutd
10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
You can use a word, like tomato, as an insult. It's all in how you say it. The act of hurling it as an insult is the bullying. Some bullying is done on gender lines, some on racial lines. Bullying is oppression. So that's why offensive words are racist. Because to say them in that way is to oppress someone, to treat them as second class.

You can also use the same word, like noob, as a term of endearment, fwiw.
And assuming somebody is of a certain ethnicity by their actions is as stereotypical as the examples that I used. They're only minor compared to certain actions, but racist none-the-less.
Ps what does fwiw mean?

EDIT: and sorry for double post

ninjaduck
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
don't know actually. Maybe 'cause i am a ninja ;).

Could ya'll just relax and let sam do his magic work and we can all get back to our regular forum policing.

do i inherit something?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Nenj pls

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, then we disagree, because I think it's completely reasonable to assume a person who misuses a word has no personal experience with the real meaning of the word. But not always, so the word "probably" should be used.

Matutd
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, then we disagree, because I think it's completely reasonable to assume a person who misuses a word has no personal experience with the real meaning of the word. But not always, so the word "probably" should be used.
And we will leave it there? :)

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 01:21 PM
At this point the author of this thread must be wondering: "How'd this happen"?

Growwle
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM

So while I agree that the misuse of the word leads me to guess that he is from an area where his race is in the majority, because this is an international game we can't assume that means he's any particular race.

Technically, no one can be racist, since all humans are part of the same race, just like all breeds of dogs are still dogs. I guess it is easier to say "racist" than ethnocentric or whatever.

StompArtist
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Technically, no one can be racist, since all humans are part of the same race, just like all breeds of dogs are still dogs. I guess it is easier to say "racist" than ethnocentric or whatever.

Now I want to know who the Chinese Crested dogs of humanity are!

FluffNStuff
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Yes, but not all breeds of dogs are the same breeds. Just ask my poor mutt. Them pure breds can be extremely breedist!

Covert
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
tbh i usually use 'noob' as a playful joke with friends...

but none of them ever crap their pants and make a thread about it tho

Matutd
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
tbh i usually use 'noob' as a playful joke with friends...

but none of them ever crap their pants and make a thread about it tho
Never made a thread about it, but I crapped my pants a few times...

Elyseon
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
noob, i call all noobs i want noob!
call me noob moar pls!

but if every does not call noobs noobs, then everyone will think that youre mentally calling them a noob by not saying it verbally
also myst ur obv a noob so pls read how to no be noob in OP

thx noobs

Covert
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Never made a thread about it, but I crapped my pants a few times...

make a thread on the immense detail of your pant crappings... :D

...noob!

Elyseon
10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
make a thread on the immense detail of your pant crappings... :D

...noob!
good ptr
(post:thank ratio)
...noob!

Covert
10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
good ptr
(post:thank ratio)
...noob!

thx! ill thank this one too when i get moar :DD

BodMaster
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Naaaaaabs the lot of ya!

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
When a word has been used against one as an attack, one standard response is to embrace the word and try to redefine it as humor. You can hear it in rap music, for instance, or if you hang out with any group that is the subject of slurs. That's how they try to water down the power of a slur. So calling your friends noob and being called noob by a friend is totally different from calling a stranger noob.

Growwle
10-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Now I'm curious, om me if it's too harsh for forums. I'm not easily offended so I won't care about it.

That is the core of the problem, "easily offended," has no one heard of "sticks n' stones..." ?

FluffNStuff
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
When a word has been used against one as an attack, one standard response is to embrace the word and try to redefine it as humor. You can hear it in rap music, for instance, or if you hang out with any group that is the subject of slurs. That's how they try to water down the power of a slur. So calling your friends noob and being called noob by a friend is totally different from calling a stranger noob.

The worst part about this thread is comparing noob to certain other words for so many different reasons. Lets try to steer away from that, mmkay?

Snakespeare
10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
The worst part about this thread is comparing noob to certain other words for so many different reasons. Lets try to steer away from that, mmkay?

I disagree and agree. I believe the reason we joke with each other and call each other noob is the exact same reason why you hear certain words in hip hop. There's even a name for it in linguistics: amelioration. But I do agree with the 'bad rhetoric' line because it's sensationalistic to make the direct comparison. yeah.

Astrocat
10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I can't even count how many times the word ''Noob'' has been said in that thread! Noobs.

Yich
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Noob is a common word in my vocabulary. If you don't like it, you're probably noob.

Elyseon
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Noobs and Noobs!

As head of this noobocracy,
I elect the word 'noob'
To be the national word of alterra

RedStapler
10-26-2012, 02:57 PM
To steal a gif from earlier in this post...

http://applejack.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/135094057914.gif

I'm going to close this down now.

Sorry folks!